• Published 28th Feb 2015
  • 10,545 Views, 911 Comments

The Completely Normal Pet of Spike the Dragon - DauntedSuperior



Spike, in his spare time that seemed abundant in the past few months, has been keeping a secret from Twilight. That secret's name is Scruffy, the completly normal, mundane, and in no way special, little black kitty... If only that were true.

  • ...
22
 911
 10,545

Mean Thoughts, Think Mean Thoughts!

“-and the last camera can go right here.” Rarity stated happily as she used her magic to rip off a piece of glittery duct tape and stick it to the floor. Meanwhile I kept looking from place to place for the black figure from my spot on Spike’s head.

Since it disappeared the room had gotten a little warmer to match the evening summer temperatures outside, ‘Though it will probably get cold again once the stars are out.’

“Rares,” Applejack started as I watched her look at all the ‘X’s around the room, “We only got four cameras an we’re gonna be usin two of ‘em ourselves.”

“Don’t we get one?” Scootaloo asked.

“Pinkie wanted us ta be extra careful with ‘er cameras, so no.” Applejack said as she extended the legs on one of the two tripods they had.

‘That's a burn.’ I smiled as I looked over the corners once more. There were surprisingly few cobwebs, ‘Probably from the refurbishing.’

“Hey! We’re plenty careful.” Apple Bloom said as Sweetie Bell held up the second tripod with her hooves and Apple Bloom extended one of the legs. Somehow she pulled one of the legs down too hard and pulled the bottom half entirely off of the top.

They both froze in place before Apple Bloom hastily moved in front of where the two pieces were no longer together. Sweetie moved around behind her and started trying to fix it as fast as she could.

While they tried to hide the repair going on, I caught sight of Applejack raising an eyebrow at Sweetie before looking to Scootaloo. The little pegasus gave a little chuckle and backed up while Rarity started talking.

“I thought this was a well outfitted expedition into the world of the paranormal.” the fashionista used her magic to pull up all the tape ‘X’s.

“Rarity, even them ghost hunters don’t have that many cameras, an they gots an entire crew.” Applejack said as she and I watched all the glittery tape levitate towards the unicorn.

“I suppose you’re right.” Rarity said as she pulled a plastic bag out of the saddlebags on the floor and stuck the used tape in it, “Though this place needs the splash of color, tape won’t fix that.”

“Uh, sure.” Applejack droned as she started messing with the buttons on the camera on top of the tripod. The camera itself was just bigger than me and had a strap on the right side for a hoof to hold it, just like the other three.

“I actually have claws, why can’t I hold one of the cameras?” Spike asked as he moved and pulled a spare camera out of the bags.

“Ya are.” Applejack said as Rarity lifted up and fixed the tripod the crusaders had been trying to fix without them seeing, “Rares’ gonna be holdin the other one.”

“Sweet.” Spike happily began to mess with the camera. I stopped my search for the ghost to watch him carefully, making sure he didn’t hit any ‘don’t record’ buttons.

‘Don't need to go through a whole adventure then lose the one shred of evidence there is... again.’ my eyes watched as Spike flipped a small screen out on the left side of the camera and revealed four buttons in a diamond shape.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw something move and I looked away from the camera and around the room. Looking around the room gave me no clue as to what I saw, but the room was cold again.

“What’s wrong Scruffy?” Spike asked as I continued to move around on his head.

While my eyes scanned the room a large gasp came from Sweetie, “What if he’s seeing ghosts!? Didn’t the Ghost Adventures team think that cats and dogs could see spirits?”

“Yeah, I remember that episode.” Spike stated as Applejack looked up from the camera.

“Ya mean Ghost Hunters, right?” the orange mare hit one last button before walking over to Rarity.

“No I’m talking about Ghost Adventures.” Sweetie answered, “It’s like Ghost Hunters, but they provoke the ghosts and get better evidence.”

Apple Bloom rolled her eyes, “They fake their stuff and overreact ta everythin.”

“They do not!” Sweetie screeched in anger.

“Not this again...” Scootaloo face hoofed as Apple Bloom and Sweetie stared each other down.

The rest of whatever they were arguing over was lost on me as I saw Rarity and Applejack whispering to each other. Rarity waved her hoof dismissively before she started off down one of the hallways with the other tripod and two cameras in her magical grasp.

‘She's going alone? Does she want to be possessed?’ I jumped down off of Spikes head and turned to see him not notice me missing. While Spike threw in his two bits on the argument the fillies were having I ran towards the corridor where Rarity took off to.

I heard a shrill whistle behind me as I caught up to Rarity. Both of us looked back to Applejack standing in the main room looking towards us. She made a small nod with her head and I looked back to Rarity to see her look down at me.

Before any words of going back could be said I looked up at the unicorn and made a small meow sound. Whatever words she was going to say died in her throat as she looked at me with a smile.

Her horn lit up and I felt myself placed on her back, “I suppose a little company won’t hurt.” the sound of her hooves on the stone floor echoed as she started moving.

Looking around as we walked, if I had one word to describe the scenery it would be old. The second and third would be dark and spooky respectively. All around us as Rarity walked there would be the occasional sound or I would think I saw a shadow move.

It was very nerve racking.

Which is why I almost jumped out of my fur when Rarity spoke up, “Do calm down Scruffy. We are almost to the stairs then I can levitate the camera down and we can start back.” I realized my claws had started to come out thanks to my paranoia.

The thought of being back with the others calmed me a little bit and I was able to retract my claws. Rarity took a right at a ‘T’ intersection and I took a deep breath and calmed myself.

‘Maybe I'm just going insane again. It goes hand and hand with seeing stuff.’ I thought as I glanced back the way we had came.

All my muscles locked up, my fur stood on end, and my claws began to slip out. Standing at the end of the hallway, beyond where we had just turned, was the black figure.

It was the new feature though that had me scared out of my mind. Trained right on me were a pair of glowing, yellow eyes, ‘Maybe it won't hurt the adorable kitty...’

I’m not proud of it, but I started to shiver in fear. This prompted Rarity to stop, “Scruffy?” she turned her head back towards me, “What’s wro-”

With me on her back, I could feel her start to shiver, ‘Okay, she sees it, so I'm not insane... Why isn't she running!?'

A quick glance at Rarity told me all I needed to know, ‘Well crap.’ her eyes were wide and focused on the figure, with a slight yellow tinge to them. For some reason she began to sway on her hooves as her eyes started to get tired looking.

With a quick guess at what was going to happen I jumped off her back as she fell to the floor asleep. The two cameras that had been in her grasp fell to the floor with a loud clatter that echoed through the halls.

My eyes widened as I felt a rush of air collide with my back. Turning around as fast as I could, my paranoia shot through the roof as the figure was now only a few feet away. Slowly it moved its hoof forward to take a step.

Every fiber of my kitten body was screaming at me to run away, but the purple spiral of Rarity’s tail caught my attention and made me stay my ground. I jumped between the figure and the unconscious unicorn and started growling.

Sadly, it probably looked adorable.

‘Don't think that!' I yelled at myself, ‘Mean thoughts, think mean thoughts!' the figure... smiled? I could see it’s eyes squint in the way someone’s would if they smiled.

‘This is just the first quest enemy, it shouldn't be that-’

It was then that I noticed a cold feeling around my paws. My eyes ventured from it’s yellow orbs to them before panic set in. Almost like a liquid shadow, darkness was slowly rising up my form.

Upon me noticing, it sped up as I tried to move from my spot. Another glance at the figure and I could tell it was definitely smiling.

‘Well played you son of a-’ the rest of the thought was cut off as I was fully enveloped in darkness.

Author's Note:

So, it took me all this time to realize something. If I don't force myself to type this stuff out, I will literally do anything else.

Seriously, caught myself cleaning the house when I went down stairs to get a Mtn. Dew shortly after opening the google file for this story. Anyway, I'll think of some system or something, but more updates are on the way.

Be sure to comment! :pinkiehappy: