• Published 28th Feb 2015
  • 10,583 Views, 911 Comments

The Completely Normal Pet of Spike the Dragon - DauntedSuperior



Spike, in his spare time that seemed abundant in the past few months, has been keeping a secret from Twilight. That secret's name is Scruffy, the completly normal, mundane, and in no way special, little black kitty... If only that were true.

  • ...
22
 911
 10,583

We Can't Let Anyone Know What Happened Here

Spike’s flame caught a number of cocoons on fire around the titanic spider. The burning web was the best source of illumination after Spike let his flaming fountain sputter out. I watched the retreating shadows before looking up to Big Mama.

‘Spike, get the Crusaders out of here now.’ I stated as I felt her gaze fall on me. The amount of power she radiated through just that small action was daunting. It made me rethink my plan to fight her and make her calm down, but it was too late for that. This fight was happening, all it need was the spark to start.

“Everypony run!” Applebloom yelled out before the sounds of hooves striking the ground reached me.

That was it.

Big Mama let out a ear splitting screech just as I powered up my eyes to be able to see through the darkness with ease. With that boost I could see every little detail about the big spider, right down to the little hairs all over her body. Despite this I still couldn’t see the ceiling of the cavern. Falling dust and rubble didn’t help either.

Quick as lightning she was on her back four legs with her front four pointing directly at me. I smirked as this left her underbelly open for attack, ‘If I can get a grip on her stomach, I could cut my way-’

Three of the legs up in the air, the bottom two and the top right, began to glow with magic. On the left was a bright blue ball outlined with a pale blue mist. The bottom right was an orange fireball that had a small black inner flame. The top right was a deep blue that seemed like loosely held together water. All three balls of magic where bigger than me, and had quite a bit of power.

There was no way I could beat her in a straight up fight. I needed to plan something out, but to do that I needed time. Something I didn’t have.

“Scruffy, what do we do!?” Spike’s sudden question caught me off guard. A quick glanced to my side showed him in a shaky fighting stance right next to me.

‘Spike!? You're supposed to be protecting the Crusaders! What are you still doing here!?’ of course though, Spike never got the chance to answer me as the one leg that held no magic ball struck out like a spear towards him.

Out the corner of my eye I saw Spike cross his arms just in time before the blow struck him. On reflex my focus shifted to Spike as he flew back through the air. He struck one of the cocoons and stuck to it, seeming fine but dazed from the hit. Before I could look away from him Big Mama struck me hard in the chest.

I flew through the air, twisting and turning to make sure I land on my paws. For the few seconds that I was in the air I looked back to Big Mama. She was lowering two of her legs, leaving up the front two. The ball of water magic seemed to grow in size as well as she did so.

As I landed the cave was filled with a deep rumbling sound. A quick glance at Big Mama showed the source. She was laughing.

“Scruffy...?” Spike’s response once again caught me off guard. I learned from my mistake and didn’t take my eyes of Big Mama.

‘Spike are you hurt?’

“I feel like I got hit by a train... Can you get me off this thing?” I quickly glanced to my left to see Spike right beside me, struggling to get off the cocoon he had hit. My tail reached over and I started to freeze the webbing.

Big Mama stopped laughing immediately.

As I heard the webbing break and Spike hit the floor a plan struck me, ‘Spike, I need you to run back-’

“I’m not leaving you to fight her alone.” he said firmly, cutting me off, “I’d never abandon my best friend to fight alone while I ran away like-”

‘Spike I'm not asking you to.’ I interrupted him, ‘Run back to make her think you're running away then I'm going to get her to turn around to fight me. Then you run up while she's distracted and roast her. Understand?’

“Oh, alright! You can count on me!” he stated before I heard him turn and start running back into the cavern. My eyes widened as Big Mama’s ball of water magic started to twirl and churn before shooting a high pressure blast straight towards Spike.

‘Spike jump left now!’ I started running towards Big Mama, pouncing on the wall and making my way above her. If she didn’t think I was a threat she had a big surprise coming.

‘Keep dodging while I get her attention.’ my only response from Spike was a frightened yell. I hazarded a glance back as I made my way up the wall and closer to Big Mama. Spike was running in a zig zag with the stream of water absolutely destroying the rocks and ground behind him.

Then the deep rumbling sound returned, and my eyes narrowed at the spider. She was attacking my friend and laughing about it! My eyes narrowed at the leg that held the water magic.

‘I think you need-’ I jumped towards the leg and gripped onto the middle joint, ‘-to chill out!’ I pumped my paws full of magic, instantly freezing a small area around where my claws had dug into her leg. The ball of water magic stopped shooting the high pressure stream and dropped to the ground with a loud splash.

As Big Mama began to let out a screech of surprise my ice had finished wrapping around her leg. It wasn’t much of a stretch to think it had frozen clear through it either. With a smirk across my muzzle I jumped onto her main body near where the frozen leg connected and turned to use my shadow claws to break it.

Mid air though, something changed. Before the room had seemed cool and Big Mama seemed confident and undaunted by our presence. In the few seconds I was in the air something shifted. The atmosphere became heated and Big Mama seemed about ready to go into a frenzy of destruction.

I was momentarily stunned by this dramatic shift as I landed. Quickly I shook my head and turned to see the edges of my ice melting. The trichobothria, the hairs on her body, around the frozen area were white hot and melting the ice. My eyes widened and as fast as I could magic poured into my paw as I imagined it reaching out and swiping the frozen leg.

The results where amazing. It snapped in two right where I had frozen it, leaving a jagged frozen stump as the only indication that a leg had been there. Unlike the spiders I had encountered the leg stayed in one piece instead of bursting into shadows, destroying a number of cocoons as it landed.

Big Mama stumbled back, screeching like a banshee. My ears flattened against my head at the sound. It shook the entire room, bringing down more rubble from the nonexistent ceiling. Despite the minor headache though, I was smiling.

‘One down, three to go.’

‘Three?’ Spike, for the third time now, caught me off guard.

‘I just need to get all of the legs on one side to-’ I stopped my explanation as my fur began to stand on end. Then the exoskeleton beneath my paws began to heat up. The few hairs I had held down under my paws began to try and straighten out, digging into my soft pads as the heat continued to increase.

Taking the hint, I jumped off her back and stuck myself to the wall with my claws. It wasn’t even a second later that I could see my own shadow on the wall and an intense heat sprung up behind me. I didn’t even look before I jumped off the wall to try and get behind her.

Flames bathed the wall where I had just been. I could feel them licking at my tail as I jumped away. The ground shook as she turned to follow me. The thought of looking back crossed my mind, but I could feel the fire getting closer to my tail. I had to focus entirely on dodging or I was done for.

As I felt her starting to pursue me I tried to activate whatever I had on when I had woken up back at camp. That amount of magic could’ve put me on equal ground with Big Mama. Try as I might though, my fur never changed color, I didn’t feel any more magic enter my system, and my current reserves were already down to half.

We needed a plan and we needed it now, ‘Spike if you got any ideas now would be the perfect time to share!’

***Spike***

I watched in awe as the giant spider went up in flames just as Scruffy jumped off it, “So cool.” I muttered as I leaned out from behind one of the cocoons. A smile spread across my face and I fist pumped as I watched multiple cocoons go up in flames from just being close to her, “Yes! He got her!”

My smile soon dropped as the spider lifted the leg behind the stump and shot a stream of fire at Scruffy. I started chewing on my claws as I watched him jump out of the way and land behind the spider. She turned around quickly though and continued spewing fire towards him.

“What do I do? What do I do? What do I do!?” I started saying to myself as the spider began to pursue Scruffy.

‘Spike if you got any ideas now would be the perfect time to share!’ Scruffy yelled in my head, ‘She's too hot for me to get close and my ice will melt immediately even if I could.’

‘I’ll-I'll think of something.’ I said back, hoping it sounded more confident than I actually was.

Without a plan I started running after the spider as it slowly followed Scruffy with it’s stream of fire. I tried as hard as I could to think of an idea for Scruffy to take on the spider, but nothing came to mind. She was just too hot for him to be able to even get close to her.

‘But I can.’ an idea popped into my head as I started to get close to the spider’s back leg on the side Scruffy had already attacked.

‘You can what?’ Scruffy asked with obvious concern.

‘Trust me and just keep her busy!’ I shouted in my head before digging my claws into the spider’s leg. The flaming hairs all over her body were tickling my stomach as I made my way up the leg.

‘Just don't do anything either of us might regret.’

As I got to the ‘knee’ of the leg, about the same place Scruffy broke off the other one, I grimaced at the thought of what I was about to do, “I’m already regretting this.” with a deep frown I opened my mouth as much as I could and bit down on the spider’s leg.

Despite the immediate urge to let go and puke I stayed attached to the leg, clamping down as hard as I could. The spider’s loud screech of pain echoed through the caves as it started shaking it’s leg to try and knock me off. Slowly the fire started to die down and I started to get my hopes up that I had done something more than just bite it.

Those hopes were quickly dashed as I felt the hairs beneath me start to get wet instead of hot. Water started to form all over the leg I was biting into, quickly rising into my mouth. I took a deep breath just before it rose above my nose, but I needed to get off this leg soon.

I pushed with my claws against the spider’s leg and soon got my feet to do the same. A few seconds later I was starting to feel some give in the chunk of exoskeleton and trying not to think about just what I was biting.

My whole world shook as the spider collided with the wall to try and get me off, screeching loud enough for me to wish my ears were under water too. This continued for a few more seconds as I was starting to feel the need to breathe again.

There was a splash of water to my side, ‘Drop now!’ Scruffy yelled. I did as he said and let go of the leg, taking a big breath of air as soon as I was able.

I opened my eyes as I fell and could barely see Scruffy’s black form against the dark ceiling. His paws start to turn blue-ish white letting me catch a glimpse of him just before he froze the water that had formed on the spider’s leg. The ice fully encased the leg and froze it solid. Scruffy was raising his paw just before I hit the ground and was forced to look away.

The sound of something shattering like glass echoed through the entire cavern. I rolled over from where I landed and saw the big spider stumbling forward minus another leg. She fell against the wall, shrieking loud enough I thought my head might explode.

Then she went silent, and the entire room developed a spooky feel to it. The only sounds where the dying fires from the burning cocoons and my own heavy breathing. Out from behind one of the cocoons Scruffy limped over and flopped down right beside me.

‘I’m almost completely out of magic.’ he started as I reached forward to scratch him behind the ears, ‘Ah... that's the spot.’

“I can’t believe we did it.” I said as I picked up Scruffy.

‘Watch the leg, she burnt me a little with that flamethrower of hers.’

“Are you okay?”

‘Yeah, but I'm ready for a nap, that's for sure.’

I laughed as I got up from the ground with Scruffy held against my chest, “That makes two-”

K-CH!

I was swept off my feet as something hit me in the chest right where Scruffy was. My arms were glued in place and that meant Scruffy couldn’t move at all. We were practically sitting ducks.

K-CH!

Another wod of the spider’s web hit my feet and cemented them to the floor. Panic was starting to set in as I tried to pull my feet up out of the web and couldn’t.

‘Spike use flamethrower on your feet!’

I just started to suck in the breath to do as Scruffy said as I felt my chest starting to get cold.

K-CH!

My mouth was sealed shut as the silky web wrapped around my head and stopped me from seeing anything. The floor rumbled as the spider began to move around. I could hear and feel each of the spider’s remaining six legs strike the ground and get closer to us.

As the cold against my chest grew the rumbling strikes of the spider’s legs came to a stop.

K-CH

‘Damn it! Almost had it!’ Scruffy yelled out as the rumbling strikes started again, ‘Spike, is there a way for you to burn through this webbing!?’

“Mmmff mmff.” I tried to answer before realizing I couldn’t talk like that, ‘No I didn't get enough air!’

‘Did you get enough to melt the webbing around your nose?’ Scruffy asked as my chest got even colder.

‘I don't-’ I was cut off as a high pitched whistle started to reach our ears. The spider stopped it’s approach as well since I couldn’t hear it walking anymore. The whistle sound was slowly changing pitch as I tried to think of what could be causing it.

Scruffy was the first to voice a question, ‘What is that sound?’ we listened to it as it slowly got to a lower and lower pitch.

BOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!

I felt rocks and dirt cover us and stick the web that we were cocooned in, ‘What was that!?' I yelled in my mind.

“CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS TO THE RESCUE! YAY!”

***Scruffy***

As whatever just exploded beside us showered us in rocks and dirt Spike yelled, ‘What was that!?’

Just as I was about to tell him that he didn’t have to yell I heard the three voices of our saviour's, “CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS TO THE RESCUE! YAY!”

‘Oh you got to be kidding me.’ I groaned.

“Don’t yall worry we’ll have ya out in a jiffy.” Applebloom said stated as I heard their hooves striking the ground as they galloped towards us.

As I started to feel something tugging the webbing around me and Spike a thought crossed my mind, ‘Spike, we can't tell anyone what happened here.’

‘Ya I know, to keep your powers secret.'

‘No no no, keeping my powers secret shouldn't be that hard, but we can't let anyone know we were saved by three little fillies.’

‘... Agreed.’

Light filtered in from above me drawing my attention towards one of my saviors. I saw Scootaloo looking down at me and I gave her a small meow as she lit up my face with the camera.

‘... We also need to destroy that camera.'

“You don’t get to make that face at me.” Scootaloo said narrowing her eyes, “Why didn’t you tell us you could do all that cool stuff.”

I tried to act oblivious and meo-

“Uh huh,” she interrupted, “I got it all on tape. You’re not getting out of this by acting all cute and adorable.”

Despite the small hope that something was wrong with that camera and she actually didn’t capture anything, I knew the jig was up. My eyes started to glow as I put some magic into them, ‘Okay okay-’

“I knew it!” the pegasus suddenly shouted, “You were the voice I heard in the hallway!”

There was a large gasp of breath as I assume Spike finally got the webbing off his face, ‘You done?’

“Spike! We were so worried!” Sweetie Belle stated.

“What ya going on about now Scoots?” Apple Bloom asked from somewhere near Spike’s head.

“Scruffy can talk! He was the voice I heard earlier!” Scootaloo shouted with joy.

“Sweetie, can’t, breath.” Spike’s strangled voice stated as Apple Bloom moved into my vision beside Scootaloo.

As she opened her mouth to talk I focused on her eyes, ‘Yes I can talk.’ Apple Bloom looked down at me, ‘Can you get me out of this stuff now?’ I wanted to see just what they had done to take out Big Mama.

“That’s amazin’! Wish Winona could do that.” the little filly said before she started to rip apart the web with her hooves.

With some effort out of the fillies I felt the webbing pulled off my back with a few hairs still attached. The whole time the started asking question after question, not even leaving me time to answer. I mostly ignored them as I jumped out onto the ground and looked towards where Big Mama was coming from.

The sight was... confusing.

Besides the tips of a few twitchy legs sticking out of the ground there was no evidence of Big Mama. She was entirely covered up with a massive boulder that looked to weigh tons and tons of pounds. There was no possible way these fillies could of moved it.

‘... I’m done.’ I turned and started walking towards Spike’s head. Sweetie was still gushing about how worried she was or how brave Spike and me were. I was happy that she had mentioned me, but I couldn’t bring myself to smile. The adrenalin rush was starting to die down and my magical fatigue was starting to hit me.

‘Done with what?’ Spike asked.

‘Everything.’ I answered, ‘Wake me when we get back to the crystal tree castle, thing.’ I curled up beside Spike, and layed my head down in my paws, ‘Just don't forget our reward.’

My eyes closed and sleep began to embrace me as all three of the crusaders continued talking and asking questions. Part of me felt bad that I was leaving Spike to handle this all alone, but that part quickly fell asleep with the rest of me.

Author's Note:

First it was a long Fourth of July weekend that put a pause to my writing. Then little things in the days after, so I'm sorry this is so late, but I did make it a big chapter and didn't cut up the fight into parts. Not sure how I would of even did that.

Oh well. :twilightsmile:

And don't forget to comment! :pinkiehappy: Or else! :pinkiecrazy: