• Published 28th Feb 2015
  • 10,574 Views, 911 Comments

The Completely Normal Pet of Spike the Dragon - DauntedSuperior



Spike, in his spare time that seemed abundant in the past few months, has been keeping a secret from Twilight. That secret's name is Scruffy, the completly normal, mundane, and in no way special, little black kitty... If only that were true.

  • ...
22
 911
 10,574

The Escape

‘Ah, that feels nice...' I thought to myself as my consciousness began to return. My first feelings were concerning. There was the petting that felt good, but then I noticed my fur standing on end and the chill in the room.

The entirety of my mind was yelling, ‘Danger danger, 'A+B Dodge', get out of there!’ my body locked up and all my muscles tensed.

“Hm, usually animals don’t like me.” it wasn’t hard to place Sleek’s voice. What was hard was keeping myself from showing I was awake and bolting away.

“It’s probably because he’s asleep.” Twilight’s voice helped ease my worries the tiniest of bits, “Hopefully all these meetings will be behind us tomorrow after... after it’s done.”

“After his banishment you mean?” ‘Wait... What?’ “It’s the only legal fate for usurpers like him.”

I assume Twilight was the one who sighed as she spoke next, “I’d rather not talk about that right now.” ‘Yeah, now that I'm conscious don't talk about the interesting subject.’ “Let’s go over the court filtering system one more time.”

The clip-clop of hooves on the hard floor led away from me. Content as I was to let Sleek go as far away from me as possible, returning to sleep wasn’t something I could do. I opened my eyes to stare after them.

A few seconds were all I had to process all the information I saw. Firstly, I was on Spike’s bed in his room. Second, neither of them were looking towards me. Last, the door was open and they were walking through.

Before I knew it I had leapt off the bed in hot pursuit. Ignoring every instinct I had to get away from Sleek. It was as I snuck out the door from directly under Sleek that I had noticed I had no suit on now...

‘It's probably for the best... for now.’ I thought as I took off down the hallway opposite of them.

Suddenly the sound of their hooves stopped. In my panic I stated to double time it, “I should probably check to see if Scruffy has food for when he wakes up.” as Twilight finished as I became aware I was running down the middle of the hallway.

This revelation came too late as I was already at the ‘T’ intersection. Panic and instincts guided me as I twisted my body, coiled my legs, and leaped to the left. It was a jump that I’m sure would have impressed any action movie hero.

My body was pressed up against the wall with the loudest sound being that of my heart. I heard the door open down the hall, “Huh? Where did Scruffy go?”

That was all the confirmation I need that I hadn’t been seen. From what little I could remember about the layout of the castle, this path should take me to a window. The other was the one that led me to the library when I had ran from Angel.

I smiled as I began to run down the hallway. What I had in mind wasn’t the smartest, but I could only hope I hadn’t missed Spike yet. This was an official race against the clock...

‘Why do I suddenly want to check the moon for... something...’ I shook my head to get the questions out of my mind. Not even a second later I found the window.

It was the type where the two glass windows swung out and open to either side. With just a simple latch holding them together it was becoming a good question if I was lucky or not.

The sun had yet to set fully as I looked down- ‘Nope.’ I turned to go back through the castle to try and find a different way down. Then I heard voices.

“Scruffy couldn’t of gotten far. Everpony start looking.” it was the voice of Twilight and she sounded concerned. It almost made me feel bad, till I heard the multiple sets of hooves on the castle floor.

My inherent fear of not being trampled began to get the better of me as I started to back away from the sound-and directly out the window I went. My eyes bulged as the sudden feeling of falling hit me.

Any thoughts I had on what was happening at that moment where stopped before they could be thought. A cool feeling on my stomach alerted me I was right next to the tree as I fell. Quick as I could, my claws tried to dig into the crystal bark.

Thoughts of survival dimmed as I couldn’t find any purchase for the claws. I quickly started to try and think of another plan before I felt the tree under my body starting to push up.

As my body began to fall along the sloped bottom on the tree, my mind was racing. I hadn’t known it was just the slope of the roots as I fell. My mind was focused on what I thought was a sentient crystal tree.

Reality caught up to me as my rear hit the dirt and I started to tumble backwards. With reflexes like a cat, my body began to curl into a ball to absorb the impact. After a moment or two the soft grass and the orange, evening sky stopped switching places.

With my heart beating a mile a minute and my mind racing, my eyes looked back up to the castle. The window I had tumbled out of was at least three stories up if not more, but I was alive.

The ground raced under me as I took off into the small town with a smile on my muzzle. After a quick look at the sun I estimated I had been asleep about twenty to thirty minutes.

A quick look into the town showed that more ponies than I would of liked were out and about. It wasn’t that surprising as it was a good summer evening with clear skies for stargazing.

I freaking hated it. There were too many ponies for me to run down the main road and not be trampled. Spike had only showed me a few places, but I could only remember him following the main road to the town center.

It wasn’t that hard to find the main road, its the widest one. After I made it to the town center though, improvising was my only plan. Hoping that Murphy has had his fun, I took off down the side of the road.

As I dodged, ducked, dipped, dived, and dodged my way past the few ponies on the side of the street I could only think, ‘Please let me make it in time. The first quest almost never turns out well.’

Author's Note:

Be sure to comment, it helps keep me motivated to put these out daily. :pinkiehappy: