• Published 28th Feb 2015
  • 10,583 Views, 911 Comments

The Completely Normal Pet of Spike the Dragon - DauntedSuperior



Spike, in his spare time that seemed abundant in the past few months, has been keeping a secret from Twilight. That secret's name is Scruffy, the completly normal, mundane, and in no way special, little black kitty... If only that were true.

  • ...
22
 911
 10,583

Regrouping

I don’t know when I passed out, or how long I was out, but I was woken up to the sound of talking outside my cocoon. It was muffled and indecipherable, but it had woken me up and for that I would have to thank whoever it was.

I began to move very carefully, trying to test my range of motion. Once again my front legs where held down against my sides and my back legs were going straight back, away from my body. Almost made me feel like a mummy.

There was a small hole where the webbing was thin to nonexistent over the left side of my muzzle, giving me precious air. My ears were held down against my head at awkward angles, my eyelids were sealed shut, and my tail was held against my back legs.

But I was alive.

Despite the webbing making it hard to do so, a smile spread across my muzzle, ‘If luck is on my side, I still got time to stop the big mama spider from wrecking Ponyville... I really should've asked those spiders for her name.’

...

Despite knowing my ears where held against my head I still attempted to swivel them to try and hear what was going on around me. This resulted in a few pulled hairs and a silent curse. The world outside my cocoon was a complete mystery to me. Hopefully I was no longer in the stupid tunnels.

...

I could hear muffled voices talking. Sounded like they were arguing over something... The fur on my eyes were pulled as my eyes tried to widen in recognition, ‘Spike and the girls.’

My magic started to flow towards my paws to try and shatter the webbing around me as I had done earlier. Despite my attempts, I could only get my paws and the tip of my tail to start channeling my frost magic. The latter of which was a new discovery on my part.

“Scruffy!?” a muffled voice yelled.

Despite it being muffled, I could place that voice anywhere, ‘Spike! Do you see a blue glowing cocoon anywhere nearby? I'm inside it.’ as the thought strikes me that he’s with the crusaders I add, ‘Try to use this whole mental link to talk to me.’

There were a few moments of silence as I finished freezing the webbing around my legs and awaited Spike’s response. With my paws now free they went immediately to my face to free my eyes and muzzle. My tail tip swung around and got to work on my back.

‘Hello!?’

‘Gah! Stop it with the shouting!’ I yelled as I began to finally feel gravity pulling my body away from the cocoon.

‘Sorry.’ despite no words being said, Spikes mental voice sounded the same, ‘I don't see any blue, glowing cocoons, but the walls are lined with them. If you're in a cocoon, how did you know we were here?’

‘Your arguing woke me up.'

Spike chuckled a little, ‘How did you end up in a cocoon anyway?’

‘You haven't been attacked yet?’ I asked as I felt the webs on my face start to crack.

‘No...’ Spike said sounding confused, ‘All you need to keep the spiders away is a light.’

‘...’ I slammed my paw into my face, breaking the frozen webbing.

‘Of course you'd have known that if you hadn't left me with the crusaders.’ Spike said as I got the mental picture of him crossing his arms in annoyance.

‘For the record, I felt really bad about that and tried to find my way back to get you.’ I explained as I began to blink and get my bearings, ‘Then I was ambushed and captured.’

‘Just please, please don't leave me with them again.’ hearing him say that really made me feel bad.

‘Oh they can't be that bad.’ I looked around and spotted a few sources of light from Apple Bloom’s flashlight, Scootaloo’s camera, and Spike’s torch. They were in front of me, or bellow me since I was apparently on the roof of the cave, ‘Oh and check above you.’

Spike lifted his head up and saw me waving my still glowing blue paw, ‘How are your paws glowing?’

‘Magic. The dark magic Star Swirl gave me to be precise. Remind me to show you what else I can do when we get done saving Ponyville.’

‘Thanks for telling me about that by the way.’ I watched him cross his arms this time, 'Had to wait for the Spiders to explain it all to me.'

‘Spike, I know I dropped the ball on this one. You don't have to keep bringing it up. I promise I'll make it up to you.’ I said before I felt the webs holding me to the rock breaking, ‘Catch me.’

‘What?’

The webbing broke and I was in free fall, ‘Catch me!’ even from the distance I was at I could see Spike’s eyes widen and he dropped his torch and ran to catch me.

“Hey Spike, where you going?” I heard Scootaloo ask as I fell into the drake’s open claws. Quickly as I could, my flow of magic was cut off and I my paws were no longer glowing.

“Oh, uh.”

‘Put on a small smile and say you found me.’ I stated as he turned to show me to the girls.

“I found Scruffy!” he said with a wide smile. The smile was quickly infectious as the girls shouted in joy and ran over. As Scootaloo moved the camera and the light on the front of it around the room, something caught my attention.

To our side was a thin stalactite column touching the ground. Scootaloo’s camera illuminated just enough for me to notice the top of it in the darkness. It was bent away from us at an almost perfect ninety degree angle.

The girls and Spike were talking about something, but I didn’t care at the moment as my eyes followed the ‘stalactite’. I could only see a faint outline, since I dared not to increase my vision with my magic, but what I did see made my blood run cold.

‘Scruffy...’ Spike started drawing my attention to the lack of any talking going on between him and the girls. I turned my head back to Spike and saw him staring towards the same direction I had. For a moment I thought he and the girls had seen what I had, but they’re eyes were glued to Spike’s dropped torch.

Or, more accurately, to the army of spiders behind it, illuminated by Scootaloo’s camera and Apple Bloom’s flashlight.

I swallowed hard as the eyes all slowly began to raise up as a collective unit. They were about to take us the same way they took me earlier. That was something I couldn’t let happen.

‘Spike, you need to create the biggest flamethrower that you can possibly make.’ silence greeted my answer, ‘Spike do it now!’ my mental scream snapped the drake out of whatever fear he had as he put himself in front of the girls and took a deep breath.

The resulting spout of fire was surprisingly big for a dragon of his size. It was orange and yellow, just like any other fire I had seen, but in some parts it was outlined in black. That last bit would’ve warranted some confusion out of me if it wasn’t for my focus being on what his fountain of fire had revealed.

A spider the size of which could crush a building without even trying.

With a massive cry and a shaking of her head, the big mama spider back peddled a little bit. Under her the entire group of spiders that had been about to attack scurried off as fast as their legs could take them.

‘That's an army of small problems down.’ I looked at the big mama spider, right in the eyes, ‘One giant one left.’

Author's Note:

Next chapter: Boss Fight :rainbowdetermined2:

Be sure to comment! :pinkiehappy: