• Published 28th Apr 2015
  • 453 Views, 1 Comments

Simple Comforts - The Prancing Red Pony



A simple story about the comforts of food, friends, and warmth.

  • ...
 1
 453

A Simple Chapter

A loud knock rang against the door to Twilight Sparkle's home. She could barely hear anything against the mighty downpour of rain echoing outside.

"Spike can you get the door please, I'm quite busy." She yelled. The baby purple dragon was in the library amongst the great works of literature, he was consumed in a book of old battles fought during the dark days of Equestria's early beginnings. He was so enthralled by the book he didn't hear Twilight's call. Twilight heard the knock again but, this time it was more boisterous.

"Spike will you please get the door," Twilight yelled again. No response. The knock turned into a great thrashing sound that matched the rain in pitch and volume.

"SPIKE GET THE DOOR RIGHT NOW!!!" Twilight screamed at the top of her lungs. There was a brief moment of silence then a great crashing sound followed by many loud thumps and groans until the little dragon had stumbled into the kitchen slightly bruised from his experience.

"Were you calling for me, Twilight?" Spike said rubbing the bruise on his head. Twilight snorted angrily at the purple dragon.

"Yes, someone is outside pounding on the door! They probably have pneumonia by now! GO LET THEM IN!" Twilight yelled at Spike. She did not like to raise her voice at the little dragon but she hated to repeat herself over and over.

"Alright alright keep your mane on," Spike said covering his ringing ears. Spike walked over to the door where the pounding now sounded like a thousand thundering hooves across a great plain. Spike reached for the handle and opened the mighty oak door. In that instance, a boom of thunder and crack of lightning hit revealing seven tall bodies standing in front of the little dragon. They looked like servants of death against the darkened sky's and streets where no light pierced. Spike was shaking from head to toe not only from the cold harsh wind and rain pushing its way into the library but, from the fear of these beings. Suddenly one jumped at him.

"Eeep," Spike yipped as he covered his face with his arms and shut his eyes. Instead of feeling something cold and grey he felt a warm embrace and slightly wet plush fur. He slowly opened one eye and saw a pair of wide blue eyes and pearly white teeth. It was Pinkie Pie.

"Hi Spikey," she said greeting him with a warm nuzzle. Spike let out a sigh of relief and returned the embrace. Spike then looked in the door way and saw the rest of the group; his face went from happiness to fear. Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Applejack, Big Macintosh, Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna stood before him, they all had slightly sour faces and were thoroughly soaked from head to hoof. Rarity was steaming with anger as her mane was soaked into a dripping mess. She stood over Spike like a goddess bent on destroying a galaxy but, just as she was going to give Spike her full wrath, Twilight poked her head out of the kitchen.

"Oh good you are all here. Can someone help me with these cheddar biscuits they aren't rising at all," she said. Spike breathed a heavy sigh of relief.

"I'll help you with those," Applejack answered. She wiped her feet and trotted into the kitchen to help with the dysfunctional biscuits. The rest of the group entered into the main foyer. They all shook themselves dry and removed the saddle bags they were carrying and brought them into the kitchen. Pinkie Pie still had Spike in her hug exasperating all of the air from his tiny lungs.

"Um Pinkie...you...can...let....go...*chokes*...of...me...now," Spike said his breath shortening. Pinkie Pie suddenly realized she was making Spike turn an entirely different shade of purple and released him.

"GASP!!!" Spike said falling to the ground.

"Sorry," Pinkie Pie said.

"It's okay." Spike said collecting himself. They stared at each other in silence.

"We should go help in the kitchen," Spike said. Pinkie Pie nodded and they both trotted into the kitchen where everypony was busily at work preparing some sort of delicious treat.

The air was filled with decadent aromas ranging from all cornerstones of one's nose or snout. The scrumptious wafts of puff pastries and cakes rose and glided among the senses. Fresh fragrances of fruits cut from their boughs and exposing their heavenly juices at the peak of their perfections. The salty perfume of many soups & chowders climbed high reminiscent of far off shores, and finally the taste-less yet peppery hay tied everything into a perfect bouquet that would make some weep. Spike stood for a few pure moments letting his senses get the better of him as each breath filled him with these heavenly scents.

"Spike," a voice called far off. Spike did not hear anything only his scent had control of his thoughts or actions.

"Spike," the voice got louder but, the baby dragon paid it no mind.

"SPIKE!!!" the voice yelled and the dragon felt a large thump against the back of his head. Spike held his head in slight pain and looked at whatever thumped him. Twilight stood over him looking none too pleased.

"Sorry Twilight I was just so busy smelling the aroma's I got lost in the decadents of beauty," Spike said. Twilight simply rolled her eyes. She was quite the scholar and knowledgable unicorn but, she could tell when someone was being a romantic.

"Spike would you please go set the dining room up for dinner," she asked pointing to the table stacked with many eating wares. Plates and bowls were stacked high, all made of the finest crystal. Silver forks, spoons, and knives glimmered in beauty waiting to be picked up and engaged in the process of eating succulent goodies. Great mugs bearing the emblem of an ancient house waited in all of their old world brilliance. These were all brought by Princess Celestia.

"Ok Twi," Spike said his mind getting back into control. He grabbed some of the placemats from a cabinet that were only used for certain occasions. They bore beautiful and intricate designs of waterfalls, forests, and townscapes.

The dining room was in fact a large room that was part of the library. Shelf upon shelf was stacked with many books ranging in different colors, shapes, and sizes all written by famous Equestrian authors ancient and new. Giant globe lights hung from the ceiling casting bright and extravagant radiance down upon the guests as they would enter. A long hickory table stretched a great many lengths down the room. Nine chairs occupied small areas of the table but, still allowed the guests to pass the wares of food from one to the other. On the right side of the room were large windows that looked upon the gloomy skies and the torrential downpour ceaselessly pounding away.

"Quite magnificent," Spike said to himself. He quickly sat the placemats down in the places where all the guests would be sitting. He then rushed back and forth grabbing the plates, bowls, silverware, and mugs. Fresh bouquets of flowers and bright red candles were then placed to add even greater aesthetics to the already beautiful room. When Spike was finished he was in awe. The candles glowed vibrantly casting shimmers upon the crystal plates creating beautiful rainbows. Spike then heard a soft clear bell ringing.

"Dinner is ready," Twilight called. Spike ran back to the kitchen and was handed a great pan full of fresh sweet rolls that made his nose twitch with pleasure. He followed the rest of his friends into the dining hall and helped put the many foods in their sophisticated places. Just before the entire party sat down, Twilight pulled Spike aside out of the hearing of the others.

"Spike, I'm sorry I snapped at you. Please pay attention when I call you or ask for your help. I get worried when you don't answer," she said her voice sounded sad and glum.

"I'm sorry Twi," Spike said, "I just couldn't help myself among all those sweet aromas".

Twilight gave him a smirk. "Still friends?" she asked.

"Still friends," Spike responded. They hugged each other and then walked back into the dining room. Just as Spike was about to sit down he was pulled away again. He noticed a white hoof and thought of Rarity and her unbent anger just an hour ago. She would beat him to a pulp for making her wait outside so long and letting her hair get all grimy and sordid. Spike figured the worst and braced for pain. Instead, he felt warmth and his cheek felt galvanized. He felt Rarity's warm plush fur and the gentle kiss she had placed on his cheek.

"Thank you for helping make this so wonderful. I would never hurt my little Spikey Wikey even if my mane went all out of whack," she whispered. Spike felt happiness consume him. All was right in the world. Spike and Rarity then took their seats at the great table. Spike felt the kiss from Rarity; it was electrifying, invigorating, and lingered with the scent of her perfume. In great elegance the table was laid.

Small tea jars of Zap Apple Jam were enticingly put exposing the full coloration of the exotic fruit. Many of the pastries, baked goods, cakes, and pies were made of the infamous fruit and they all glowed in bright coloration. The great beautiful mugs of porcelain held the golden coloration of cider sweet and supple like fresh rain. Trays upon trays of hay blown gold in color around the room tasted tart and peppery. Bowls of bright fruit glimmered against the crystal rivaling it in coloration; they almost appeared to be fake. In the center of it all, a mighty cake that Pinkie Pie had toiled hours over stood mighty, proudly, and decadently with its artistic candies and icing standing like a young princess in the middle of a fresh snowfall.

Spike already had a generous helping of clam chowder in his bowl. It's salty and peppery essence echoed storms and gales yet calm and beauty beneath the ocean depths before being dropped into a vat of heavy cream and boiling water. Spike took a generous spoonful of the delicious chowder and stuffed it into his gaping maw. His eyes went wide and he fell into a trance of delight and wonder. His mind went into a race almost to the point of no return. He then pushed himself out of his trip and returned to reality. A single tear dropped down his face.

"What's wrong Spike?" Fluttershy asked wondering why the baby dragon was crying. A look of concern fell over her face.

"Nothing its just so delicious," he said. Fluttershy smiled and passed a bowl of freshly cut leafy greens in his direction.

"Try these I picked all these veggies myself this morning," she said with a grin. Spike took the salad tongs and put a good portion of the greens with mixed carrots, peppers, and tomatoes all lightly tossed in some vinaigrette upon his plate. Spike took a small bite since salad wasn't something he ate often. The veggies had an exquisite taste that only extended the amount of time Spike kept them on his palette.

"They are delicious Fluttershy," Spike said with a grin. Fluttershy gave him a bright and happy smile seeing how much he loved the salad. Spike then took a generous drink of the cider. It felt like the rush of a waterfall down his throat. It was cool and tangy releasing all the beautiful and clean aromas of the apple.

Spike dove into every food after that as did everypony else. Everypony and dragon had waves of pleasure and tears of happiness glide down them as they ate of the "food" that some might not even call "food" because it seemed to lowly a term for this feast.The ponies and little dragon ate like king's and queen's that evening cheering mighty and clanging their mugs of cider many times. Even Celestia who was often reserved was happy and go lucky.

Soon all the dragon and pony tummy's were filled to the brim. They all sat and rested themselves in silence happily thinking and day-dreaming of the deliciousness and out of this world experiences they just had all confided in a single room. Rarity broke the silence.

"Actually I have one more treat," she said. She then left the room trotting off and then returned with a special bag. She walked over to Spike and placed a delicious ruby in front of his plate.

"Here you are Spikey Wikey a delicious ruby for your dessert. Spike?" Rarity said. She then saw the baby dragon was curled up and fast asleep with a huge grin on his face. His small chest rose and dropped with ever so slightness.

"He's so cute," she said giving him a kiss on the forehead. Spike was vividly dreaming of all the beautiful aromas and tastes he had just experienced all the while the rain continued to pound outside.

All was right that evening in the tiny town of Ponyville.

Author's Note:

(Author's Note): I'm terribly sorry that I focus a majority of this story on Spike. I just figured why not use a baby dragon who's senses haven't entirely developed yet as the central character. I mean come on when you smell new heavenly smells you are enthralled by them.

Well my fellow ponies here is my story about simplicity and good friends, food, and warmth. I love to write about food I just find it so beautiful and imaginative.

If you find any grammar mistakes please P.M. me or comment below since it really helps with my writing. Also tell me what you liked and didn't like about the story. Thanks a bunch!

Comments ( 1 )

Well done. . .:moustache:
Rare. . :raritywink:. .ity
raw :twilightoops:
ice cream :pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment