• Published 29th Jan 2015
  • 267 Views, 0 Comments

The Life of a Guard - salchanpony



A new life begins for Shade Stone! What will happen as he makes his way to his ultimate goal, serving next to Princess Luna?

  • ...
 0
 267

To Start Anew

Shade Stone woke with a start, his grey coat and wings drenched in sweat. He glanced around his dull apartment room, and noted nothing out of the ordinary. He laid back down, thinking of his latest nightmare, one where he was running from an unknown evil, something he knew he stood no chance against. His normally comfortable bed was cold and wet, so he sighed deeply and reluctantly got up. He knew he had wanted sleep, and would probably need it, but also knew he wasn't going to get it. His attitude changed, however, when he remembered what day it was.

He had been looking forward to this day with excitement and apprehension. This was the day he would start his trip toward being a Guard. He had no choice as to which of the three Princesses he would be assigned to, but if the option ever came up, he would try to be a Lunar Guard. He smiled at the thought of being under the Night Royal's command, as a close, personal guard...

As his thoughts progressed down questionable paths, he went about his morning routine for what he knew was the last time. He brushed his teeth, took a quick shower, and combed his short mane. He sighed as his thoughts ran out of steam, and looked out his window, at the rainy spring morning. He watched the ponies racing through the rain, trying to get to their jobs on time, and their hooves making splashes on the puddled Canterlot roads. He popped his stiff grey wings a couple times and flapped them, making sure they were in proper order for whatever the day might throw at him.

He had heard from a friend, a Celestial Guard named Emerald Shadow, that the Royal Guard Boot Camp was the hardest thing he had ever done. Shade, being younger, had smiled at the time, and said he wouldn't have a problem. Now, however, he thought otherwise. He had a couple butterflies in his stomach, and his wings were shaking a little. He took a couple long breaths to steady himself before turning, putting on a jacket, and walking out the door.

The chilly rain didn't help his nerves at all, and only served to tense him up more. After pausing for a moment, considering turning right back around, he steeled himself, and trotted straight down the street, knowing if he turned around, he might not work up the nerves to start toward the Guard Building again.

His house fell back into the distance, disappearing into the thick rain. As he trotted, the only thing he allowed into his mind was a thought about his apparent lack of progress, which wasn't helped by the knowledge that it was quite a ways away on a clear day, and that the trip would seem like forever now, as it had felt like so long already.

After a couple more minutes, negative thoughts started to creep into his mind. Thoughts like, 'You will never make it through this' and 'you should turn around'. These thoughts refused to leave, and he decided to turn off his path. He wasn't going home, but to a small inn, to warm up, and get something to drink.

As he walked in, he was greeted by a warm colored room with a large fire in a brick fireplace. There were a couple tables in the room, one with a group of ponies, the other unoccupied. He sat down, and watched the fire for a few minutes, seriously considering going back home.

As the fire warmly crackled, a mare trotted over, and spoke softly to Shade, "Would you be wanting someting warm to eat?"

Shade looked over, and couldn't help but stare for a moment. She was a small, dusty red earth pony, with eyes that looked like a chilled cup of apple juice. After a moment, he was able to reply. "J-just a mug of hot chocolate, please."

She smiled softly at his reaction, and said, "sure, hun, gimme a minute."

"Y-yeah..." Even as she trotted away, he continued to stare. Finally, she trotted into a back room, and he shook his head, looking back at the fire.

A few minutes later, she trotted back out, balancing a tray on her head, a mug resting on top of it. She trotted over to Shade, her movements showing she had had practice. She bowed down, sliding the tray onto the table, and stood back up, "Here you go, hun."

He looked at the cup, and smiled a little, trying to defy his nervousness. "Thank you."

She sit down opposite him, and looked him over. "What's the matter? You sure seem down."

"I was just... thinking."

She frowned a little, seeming genuinely concerned. "About what?"

"Something I decided to do today, but now..."

"Second guessing yourself, hmm?"

He nodded slowly as he looked down, slightly ashamed that a random mare might think he was pathetic.

She smiled softly, looking at him, "Well, I might not know what you're going through, but, I know one thing."

He looked up, moving only his eyes, not his head.

She moved her head closer, glanced around quickly, then looked back into his eyes. "Never, ever, give up. You'll be safer, sure... but you'll end up regretting your decision forever." After watching him stay still for a moment, she continued, "In the end its your choice, but... I'm sure you'll make the choice thats best for you." At that, she stood up and trotted into the back.

He heard everything she said, and had stayed still, her simple words making his thoughts clear. She was right, whether she knew it or not, he was about to give up. He didn't know why, but what she had said helped to calm him down. By the time he realized that and looked up, she had already left.

Instead of waiting, he took out the bits he had, which he knew was more than enough for the drink, and placed them on the table. As he turned to leave, he glanced at the door that led to the back, and whispered "Thank you..." as he trotted out. He sighed as he instantly got wet, but looked forward and began to trot.

After a few minutes of trotting, the large building loomed over him, the castle gates barely visible off to the side. He swallowed one more time, nervously, and trotted inside. The inside surprised him a little, only a few empty chairs next to what looked like a customer service desk. He trotted to the desk and stopped.

Before he could say anything, the rather bored-looking pony on the other side spoke quickly, "Name?"

Shade looked at the pony for a moment before replying, "Shade... Shade Stone."

The pony pointed to a door behind the counter, "In there."

Shade smiled a little, "Than-"

"Now, please." The counter pony cut him off, still pointing.

Shade started to trot through it. "Okay..."

"Good luck."

Shade was more than a little startled at the wish of luck. "Thanks..."

As the door closed behind him, the counter pony looked back forward, the bored expression back on her muzzle. With a slam of the door, Shade looked forward as well, with a smile on his muzzle. He had made it. His new life had just begun.

Author's Note:

Comments/Reviews accepted! Next Chapter in a week or so...

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment