• Published 9th Jan 2015
  • 695 Views, 8 Comments

We Are Born From The Mist - NeverEatTheLemonsAlone



Many ages ago, the great pegasus fortress of Nimbus Ring vanished. A commander-turned-legend from the ranks of the pegasi set out on an journey to find it that took her far beyond the boundaries of the known lands and into the unknown.

  • ...
2
 8
 695

XX

Thunder paced agitatedly around the clearing. “So what yer tellin’ me, lass, is that when I hear that accursed ringin’ sound, that’s actually th’ skies speaking to ya?” Sky nodded, smiling. Grinding his teeth, Thunder stopped moving, drawing in a deep breath. It was quite a lot to take in for him, given that the sum total of his usual interaction with the sky was using it to tell time, or to light up his house in lieu of flames. Sighing, he dropped his head.

Thunderbird wasn't the smartest of unicorns. Well, that's not to say he was stupid, but in those days, farmers that lived in the far north, especially those past Equestria, had no need of book learning, no matter whether they were unicorn, pegasus or earth pony. Thunder was no exception. He was far more in tune with a tree than a library, combinations thereof notwithstanding. However, he possessed a different kind of knowledge: practicality. He knew enough about his own limits to know that there were things in the world that he knew nothing about, and things that he never would know anything about. This, he accepted, was another of those things.

"Thank ya kindly for tellin' me what the sound was, lass, but I should be on my way again." He turned to leave, but was interrupted once again by the sound. There was a different quality to it this time, however; it was wavering, the tone sounding almost...unsure. Looking over his shoulder, he saw Sky murmuring a few words to the air before bolting into her hut, yelling for him to wait for a moment. Cocking his head, he did just that. A minute or so passed before Sky emerged, a pair of old, faded saddlebags cinched around her midsection. They were stuffed full, though of what, he didn't know.

That was secondary, though. The first thing he noticed, predictably enough, was the enormous battleaxe slung across her back.

It appeared somewhat rougher than what he'd seen in the past. Though the blade itself was in immaculate condition (Sky had obviously taken great care with it), the haft that it was mounted on was, to Thunder's eyes, little more than a stick. He eyed it critically as she trotted up to him, beaming with happiness.

"Uh, lass...what're ya goin' to need that for?"

She laughed. "The answer already to this you know, do you not? To come with you the skies have told me to do. The snow-shine blots out them, and stirring in Cold Lands dark things are. Do not they want this, the skies, and so told to stop it they have to me."All of Thunder’s thoughts ground to a halt.

“Buh…Sky, lass, I ‘preciate the gesture, I really do, but ya can’t come wit’ me. I hafta do this on me own.”

She laughed, though to his irritation, the tone was slightly mocking in contrast to the genuine mirth she’d shown thus far. “Silly the thunder pony is. Come with you must I, or of what is to come never will you know. Knowing is what is done by I. Take to the North me you must."

Author's Note:

I apologize for the lack of updates. I've been rather busy, and so haven't had much time to spend writing. Apologies also for the shortness of this chapter and of the last.