• Published 30th Dec 2014
  • 24,447 Views, 7,027 Comments

Legacy - NFire



A machine of war awakens in a new world. Can it become something more than it is?

  • ...
75
 7,027
 24,447

PreviousChapters Next
Turning Point and Memories.

Since I cannot be in Canterlot in, shall we say, person. I have given Celestia a command set, a desktop unit used for communicating on the battlefield with Bolos. This will allow me to see and interact with the diplomats at the proper time.

I have made my feelings known to her, and have been promised that we shall talk when this is over. I was saddened but not surprised at the manipulation here, but being what I am, I will still do my best to see that ponies are protected. To that end I have invited my six friends to attend the command deck, and the meeting. Though the diplomats will not know my friends are here, Twilight and the group will see what goes on.

Twilight has advised it may not be wise as such functions are high level and usually for only a few ponies to be there. I dismiss that, if I am involved, then they should know as well what is happening. The less secrets that are kept the better in my opinion, and since it seems my opinion carries a great weight, I shall throw it.

--------------

Everypony has arrived and is settled down in the seats, Rarity still has not forgiven some of them for the impromptu tank ride, but her nature forbids her from being truly angry. I am glad to see it, as I have come to like the designer over these weeks. Along with the others, they a group of such disparate views, yet fit together like the piece of a puzzle. Strange how life works.

Pinkie of course has brought a seemingly unending amount of snacks and popcorn, although this is not a movie, but a turning point in Equestria’s history. I am told that these things are “Booooooooooring” and popcorn makes it more fun.

I agree.

I tell the group that they can talk at any time, or move, since the diplomats will not see or hear them. I can keep conversations on many levels so this will not be a problem.

-------------

The meeting of diplomats begins with the usual pomp and circumstance of course, many times I have thought mundane things are just written in the fabric of the universe, this just proves it.

Twilight is very helpful, she identifies all the diplomats and what species. She also tells me their predilections and how they usually act when met. I am amazed at seeing Minotaurs, Dragons, and others I had only thought myth before. I listen very closely to every bit of information that Twilight chooses to give, I did not have time for much study as Twilight was busy the other day.

I am introduced after the usual meeting opening rituals are performed. I find I was actually getting bored, which is odd for a psychotronic unit.

I listen as Princess Celestia opens the comments.

“I would like to begin this meeting by introducing a new Equestrian citizen, Crusader, he is the one you have heard about. I am afraid he cannot be here in person, but can communicate with this to us.”

A representative spoke up, a Griffon I believe. “Why can he not be here? Refusing a summons from a leader?”

“He is quite a lot larger than you’d think, he cannot be here.” This delivered with a bit of steel behind it, causing the representative to settle back down.

“Crusader are you there?”

“I am Your Highness.”

“Please introduce yourself.”

“I am Unit CRSD of the Line, a Planetary Siege Combat Bolo. You may call me Crusader.”

A few snorts of disdain are heard, I hear everything quite clearly.

A Minotaur stands up and practically bellows, “Your Princess has informed us that you will not share anything with the rest of our nations, why is this?”

“Because it is my choice. As a citizen of Equestria, I cannot legally be forced to give up something at the demand of another, without good reason.”

“If your Princess demands it?”

“I will still refuse.”

A small uproar began, diplomats wondering at this upstart who would defy a ruler. Princess Celestia and Luna wisely decide to not interrupt this.

A griffon stands, demanding to know why.

“Because this world is not ready, it needs to discover it on its own, or not. It is not my place to dispense advanced technology to any being.”

A Dragon diplomat stands, “What gives you the right to say so?”

“The right of a citizen of Equestria.”

“So you tell us that you will absolutely not share anything with us?”

“Correct.”

“If we were to force the issue?”

Why must it come down to threats? Why? I have been calm and diplomatic as I can, not threatening nor in any way rude. But once again, the adage stands, some believe might makes right. Internally I sigh, thinking of once again what I must do, which is not only distasteful, it galls me to be put in this position.

“You would die.”

The uproar begins again, some calling for Celestia to lock me away, a bit laughable. Some call for war against Equestria, some call for an alliance of other beings to take what is wanted. But in the end, all are calmed a bit by Celestia asking them to please listen. It takes a few minutes for ruffled feathers to be soothed, but I am seething inside, being put here on display like this, to be threatened or coerced.

“I have learned of your races, gathered information since I was told about this meeting where my presence was requested. I chose to be here, to be diplomatic about this issue, which to anypony with common sense, would be glaringly obvious. Advanced technology destabilizes a culture, permanently. There are those who would hold it over others, those who would use it for their own greed, and those who would wage war with it.

My choice is to not give any culture on this planet, even the ponies of Equestria, any advanced technology. They are happy with their lot in life, they will discover things in time, and it will be merged slowly into the culture as it should be.”

“But what about the Battle of the Everfree! Did you not use it there?”

“I did, but only to protect innocents from being harmed.”

“Then why not give us the ability to do the same?”

“Because that is the same excuse given through thousands of years, we’re only protecting ourselves. It is bare as a thread and will not stand with me. You will not get any information concerning such weapons from myself. Nor will anything pertaining to technology or what I have stored within me ever be given free reign.”

A Dragon stands again, “So you would push this on everyone regardless, are you not forcing the issue yourself? Prompting a battle for the rights to your machines?”

“I prompt nothing. I have made a decision based on my rights and will stand by them. Any battle that comes of this is your own doing, not mine. I am giving you a peaceful solution, let this matter drop, it does not help any sentient being.”

I am told by Twilight on the command deck that I am doing well, keeping it calm and understanding as it should be.

“But we cannot,” The Griffon again,” As long as you are here, you threaten every being!”

“I threaten no one that does not threaten myself or my fellow citizens. I am content where I am, to stay in place, watch as ponies grow and learn. I have made friends and wish to never see them harmed or hurt. That is the way of most living beings no? Watching over their families?”

A few diplomats greeted that with nods, but there were too little of them doing so.

“Then let this matter go, it will do nothing but generate animosity. Just let it drop and be at peace, there is no reason for anything to be done about this. Let me go my own way and live quietly.”

I think back to Diamond Tiara, and the situation there. It was just one pony, one with greed in her eyes that caused me to threaten harm, to show what being a Bolo was all about. It was something that, having spent time in this world, being changed by my experiences, hurt to the core. I scan the faces of the diplomats, still seeing that age old look, it saddens me, must this game be played over and over? Must it be the same old threats and counter-threats? Can not any being ever, be happy with what they have and accept the things given them?

“What if one day Equestria decides they need more land? Or build an empire?”

“That is spurious, this land has been at peace for generations, that is an excuse, nothing more. Princess Celestia has no dreams of empire and neither do I or Princess Luna.”

I add quietly over the link to Celestia, “As far as I know.” I do get a bit of glee at seeing her jump. Oh Equestria you have so changed me. I see Twilight and her friends laughing loudly at the little trick, as they are privy to communications and can see me focus on Princess Celestia as she gives a start.

Princess Luna adds in her two bits, “Let us just drop this forevermore, it solves nothing and harms no one.”

“No!” This from the Minotaur, “ You have something that threatens every being, if you became aggressive we would be helpless!”

“They have nothing.” I reply, “ I have it, and as a free citizen I can choose to share or not, and I choose not to share. Before you question, no, I cannot be bribed nor cajoled either, just let this matter drop. I beg of you.”

“Then destroy it so it does not threaten anymore!”

“You are not being sensible. I am a citizen, that would be tantamount to murder. Once again, I am not threatening anypony. You cannot have your way on this legally, I am a declared citizen, I will not give up my rights because you demand it.”

“Then it will be war!”

Once again, I am saddened for what must come.

“Is that truly what you wish?”

“If you are not destroyed, then you must share!”

“Let me show you something, this was taken yesterday by one of my drones, sort of like a pegasi. The vehicle you see is the very least of the weapons I have.”

I activate the holographic battle projector, used for marking battle lines, it now serves to show the two Pegasi on the Dragon Tank, the firing of the Hellbore and subsequent disappearance of two large hills.

“As you can see, this was in the badlands.”

“So you are threatening us?”

“I did not make the threat, you did.”

“But this, this magic picture show is not a threat?”

“No, it is a promise.”

Another uproar ensues, the delegates talking loudly over each other, I wait till they settle down.

“I have studied your races, once prosperous, once all over, now, most of you if not all are dying out. You choose to wage war, to do the things ponies do not, and they are living peacefully and prosperous. You spend your time trying to get something for nothing instead of concentrating on your people. You will be extinct in a few generations some of you.

I give you this choice, here and now. End your days peacefully, or it will end in blood and fire.”

“You cannot say that!”

“I can and will. I assure you, I do not threaten. I will, as any good citizen would, stand and defend my new homeland. This includes using every weapon at my disposal, which I once again assure you, will make sure you end your final days in destruction. I would advise talking to the two Guardsponies from that film now.”

I watch as the two Pegasi are brought in, I see the symptoms immediately and advise Princess Luna they are suffering from PTSD, being exposed to something they were not prepared for has affected them deeply. I am sorrowful about it, but I needed the witnesses to speak under truth-spell as being applied now. They tell tearfully of watching the hills disappear in a flash of light and thunder, that no magic in the world could have done that. They are unkempt, looking as if they have not slept in days, I shall make sure they get the best of care, I had not realized it would make them suffer so.

Princess Luna turns her head, talking quietly and advises me after the questioning they will be taken to the best hospital and looked after, I have her word.

I watch them leave, heads down, feathers un-preened, dejected. I grieve, and if I had a heart, it would break.

“I would add another thing, any being in power has a great responsibility to their kind. In my world, we had the tale of the Sword of Damocles, a man wanted power and riches, but when he sat on the throne, he saw a sword, hanging by a single horsehair above him. This told him, with the power and riches, came that responsibility. I am that sword hanging by a single hair, I am the Sword of Damocles. I will be there to remind you of the responsibility you have to your own people when assuming power. Do not risk them for foolish thoughts.

I do not sleep, ever. I need no food, nor water. I can maintain my vigil for centuries if need be.

If you ever think of threatening or waging a war against the peaceful ponies of Equestria, fall on your own swords, for I will not be so merciful.

I am done with this, make your decision.”

The delegates choose to retire to their prospective nations, taking my words back with them. They are sent on their way with very little fanfare, but with my warning ringing in their ears. I am growing very tired of being used as a club by anypony. It is exhausting and to no purpose. Hopefully this will stay with them and they choose the honorable course. I disconnect politely from the command set, returning my full attention to my command area after a suitable goodbye to Princess Celestia and Luna.

-------------

It is quiet in the command room, and I see everypony watching the screen. There is no laughter now, nothing but concern. I am sure they have heard my words, I have threatened a world, it is something they have never heard I am sure. I prepare for the scorn or the turning away.

Twilight speaks first, “Are...are you okay Crusader?”

“Pardon?”

“Are you okay?”

“I am sure I will be fine Twilight, thank you.”

Applejack stands up, giving my camera lens a stern look, “Now you quit lyin’, you can’t believe for one second we’d leave you in a situation like this without telling ya we’re here.”

“But I am not Apple..”

“YES you are! Telling me I can’t tell? Go ahead, tell me. Heck you gotta be feeling like a pile of ponyfeathers right now!”

“Yes Applejack, I do not feel good about what I had to do.”

“Then goshdarnit, TELL us, we’re your friends!”

Rainbow Dash steps out from behind a chair, “Seriously Crusader, did you think we’d leave you alone? Or hate you? You did what needed to be done, I mean you’re protecting ALL of Equestria!”

Fluttershy looks up from a couch, her voice a bit stronger than normal, “You’re our friend Crusader, we care.”

“I...”

My arrays are going wild, the changes I’ve felt inside them are slipping past my protections, I feel for what I’ve done. I truly can understand sadness, the pain and heartbreak of everything I have been through. I cannot cry, there’s no way for me to, but I can tell my friends how I feel.

I ask them to settle back down, and for the next few hours, I tell them of my world. Of my friends so long ago now, my commanders, the people I knew and cared for now relegated to dust. I tell them of my brothers and sisters, of battles waged long ago. They listen and nod, or laugh, or even shed a tear for some tales. I resolve to solve this impasse of not knowing, I get to work immediately.

But for now, and this moment, I share my life, myself, with my friends.

PreviousChapters Next