• Published 30th Dec 2014
  • 24,415 Views, 7,026 Comments

Legacy - NFire



A machine of war awakens in a new world. Can it become something more than it is?

  • ...
75
 7,026
 24,415

PreviousChapters Next
Haunted though we are...

I sit under the open sky, the stars twinkle at me impotently as I look up at them, wondering which are real and which are moved by the Princess of the Night.

Since the other day, Athena’s words have been resonating within me. Have I done wrong withholding technology? I have given when it was needed, we have used our weapons to preserve life and this land, we have done much more than I would have thought.

But still, could we have done more? Can we do more without changing this world irrevocably beyond what we already have?

So many questions flowing like water. Answers are not forthcoming as I sit and stare at the sky, wanting someone to give them to me.

Athena has been brought back, she is her kind self once more, trying to stay out of trouble for the moment. She knows what she has said and done, reviewing the recordings at my insistence. She was horrified, knowing what she was doing and saying as I did, running to apologize to Rarity who did not quite understand why she was doing so.

My sister took the time to tell her how the words were made to cut, to injure and make others bleed from a million small nicks until they collapsed. Vitriol was a high art in some Concordiat societies, especially the upper crust, the nobles of a hundred worlds, the so called Lords of Creation that thought each sentence and phrase should be parsed so that someone underneath you would never know you were cutting their throat.

A conversation in that rarified strata of society was like walking a densely packed minefield. Each step, each word was carefully thought of and brought out to do harm to another. Entire conversations were hinged on the single pronunciation of a word, which would tell the listeners who would go down in flames.

Why did we defend those people, those creatures of venom and hate that ruled worlds under Concordiat protection?

I wonder if it is far better we have left such things in the past, to be dust with the history I so jealously guard. Why do I even do so? I should delete most of it and let this world go along it’s own path, not learning from a thousand worlds that did nothing but bicker and strife amongst themselves until the galaxy burned by their stupidity.

Philosophy from worlds that were so peaceful until another race came and showed them what life would be like should another ‘enemy’ arrive. Honeyed words rolled off silver tongues, convincing the younger races to accept protection from ‘older’ and ‘wiser’ beings.

Older and wiser my cores, wanting not to 'protect’ but the resources and labor such races provided. We Bolos sent in to quell the rebellions because they were under Concordiat protection and we had to defend them as members.

The disgust rolls through me like a tidal wave, so many times did I feel the innocents under my treads, but unable to disobey, to say something other than a few words to my commander when command could not hear us.

Rarity accepted Athena’s apology, understanding now why the Pegasus was so sorrowful that next day, telling her it was all right, that it wasn’t her.

Would that it was so easy back then.

I have lost memories in the fight with Masada, much I would rather have than some are that are left. Many of my commanders faces are gone, forever lost into the ravages of the battle and time.

But I have served, and served well in all my time, upholding the laws and tenets of the Concordiat. I obeyed faithfully.

Even when it cost so much.

------------

“Alright Crusader, bring us around, heading zero four three degrees, we’ll take the rebels from behind.” The human sat lightly in the crash chair, watching the battle screens closely.

“Yes Commander.” I brought my hull around, firing Anti-Air to intercept what little the enemy had to offer.

He smiled warmly, shaking a finger at the camera I was viewing from, “I told you, when we’re alone it’s Mark.” He laughs, “Besides you owe me a rematch on the Battle of Waterloo you cheat.”

“Yes Mark. Heading is zero four three degrees, we are at speed. No more incoming fire.” I wait a moment, “I did not cheat, I just used the infantry more effectively than Napoleon did.”

Eyeing my camera he slaps the chart table, “I still think you cheated.” Before I can reply he grunts, looking at all the readouts.

He shook his head, typing fast and bringing up readouts on enemy strengths and positions, looking at tables of armor and weaponry that intelligence had so far gleaned from prisoners, “I don’t get it, why do they need us? They have nothing like us, and won’t have, the rebels are underequipped and lightly armed.”

“I do not know Mark, perhaps there is something Command is not advising us of?”

“But it’s like using a hammer to swat a mosquito, this isn’t battle it’s slaughter!” He stared at the readouts, my main guns were tearing through armor in defilade like it was not there.

An alarm sounds through the command deck, I notify Mark immediately, “Mark, I am identifying three Golem Class Fours on the other side of the ridge. They are now powering up weapons systems, fusion engine ID’s are telling me they are Siege Units.” My scanners picked them up as soon as the power started to flow through their systems. They had been safe from detection until then.

His head snapped up, “What? How in holy hell did they get here?”

“I do not know.” I did not, a drop ship snuck in perhaps? Mercenaries? We had no intelligence.

He slammed himself back in the crash couch, the belts snapping in place to hold him as I go into full Battle Reflex. My treads grip the churned ground as I bring us up to maneuver speed, screens snapping into place as my Hellbores power up.

Golems were Bolos, but without the psychotronic circuitry that made us so deadly on the field. They were crewed by live beings, Class Fours had eight for the weapons and defensive systems. If the operators were good enough, three of them could wipe us from the field.

“Incoming cruise missile plots, three hundred marked for targeting, permission to fire?”

“Fire! Yes! Do what you need to!”

Golem Fours had comparable systems to a Bolo Siege Unit, but were not equipped with nuclear missiles unless the black market had obtained them recently. The Hellbores on their hulls were what were worrisome, I had three, they had nine. We were severely outclassed unless we could outmaneuver them, my tactical cores were showing a thirty-four percent chance we would be destroyed within the first minute of battle.

We had lost the element of surprise, our only chance was to move faster and more efficiently. I increased speed until I was at maximum, to catch the ambushers off guard, getting inside their launch range so cruise missiles could no longer be used.

I had been cleared by his order to do what was needed, he no longer needed to give me commands in battle. My Hyper Velocity Missile batteries were quickly taking their toll along with Anti-Air lasers and infinite repeaters, whittling down the wave until it was gone; the explosions allowing me to swing around the lumbering Golems, seeing one in the open as it came from under a thick layer of dirt which prevented us from detecting the powered down hulls.

All three of my Hellbores caught it before they could raise their screens, I watched the directed nuclear blasts tear deep into the command area, vaporizing the crew and most of the interior of the vehicle as it stuttered to a halt, dead.

The other two were freed for action though, my side screens taking a pounding as I move quickly behind another low mountainous area, blocking them from direct shots as I get into position to ambush them once more. Their sensors are not as sensitive as mine, I can feel them probing for me, but they cannot get a lock as my ECM is more powerful.

A call comes through from the enemy on the open comm links, I notify Mark.

“Mark, a call is coming in from the Golems.”

His face was drawn as we moved, my treads rocking the hull as we tore through low hills, plowing them out of the way to get into good firing position.

“Answer it, make sure it hasn’t got a virus or anything in the stream.”

“Cleared Mark, it’s open wave, no stream.” I am coming around the low mountains, my Hellbores are already swinging into place as he nods to himself. My batteries are loaded and ready to fire when we clear the hills.

“All right then.” He cleared his throat, “This is Command Lewis, Fourth Bolo Regiment, surrender and we’ll let you leave the field in peace without the Golems.”

“I don’t think so Mark, just listen to me.” The voice is soft, saying his name like it knows him personally, and they do.

“Sharon? Sharon is that you?” He looks at the blank video screen, voice only for security.

“It’s me. You need to stop Mark, what you and Crusader are doing is wrong. The people are not rebels, they’re slaves, they just want their freedom.” She had disappeared months earlier from our base on the continent, Command had notified Mark of her possible death at the hands of the rebels.

I swing around the hills, catching the other one not so quite off guard, His Hellbores slam into my screens, rocking my hull and Mark as I return fire, breaching a side partition and burrowing deep into one engine. The Golem rolls with the hit, swiveling to get the broken screen out of sight and firing a full broadside at me.

My screens are up to full power, shrugging the repeater and howitzer fire off, though it is depleting them bit by bit. A constant pounding will bring them to zero eventually, but the battle will not last that long.

“Sharon, I thought you were dead!”

“That’s what Command wanted you to think, I defected Mark, when I found out what the so called Lords were doing to their people here. It’s deplorable, they keep them in hovels and work them until they die! They enslaved everyone who’s not one of them!” The video screen comes on, we can see a haggard face, the screen tilting as my pounding of the second Golem affects her as well.

I slew to the side, avoiding more Hellbore fire now coming from the third Golem, the increased use of them is affecting my ability to keep screens at full. I switch absorption rates to the X and Y bands, allowing me to channel some of it to power my own weapons and screens, but the fields are dangerously close to overload now from the hits.

“Sharon, please, just surrender, we’ll let you go! I promise, just..just don’t do this!” His face is pleading, they had been very close before she disappeared.

“I...I can’t Mark. I can’t let you put these people back into chains.” She wipes her face, “We got these Golems off a black marketer that just happened to be in system, I’m sorry Mark, but we ..I.. can’t let you do this.”

My treads grab deep, stopping suddenly and letting loose a full broadside of Hellbore fire at the closest Golem, catching it at the point where the screens meet. The crew cannot switch absorption bands fast enough and they blow explosively as the fields overload, allowing me to drill three shots into the hull, aiming once again for the Command center. Point blank Hellbore fire is hardly stopped by the intervening battle screens.

The hulk explodes when my weapons fire reaches the fusion plants inside.

Sharons’ face turns to a screen, seeing the results of my work as I maneuver once more into firing position. They are quick, her own crew, moving as swiftly as I am to keep out of range, hiding behind hills which I fire through, trying to reach them.

I watch her rock in the command chair.

“Sharon, please, just surrender!”

“Crusader is good, two Golems down already. Can’t fault you Mark, you got a good command.” She tries to smile, but a broadside from my port batteries slams into her once more, rocking the picture.

“I can’t Mark, I can’t let the people here down, I promised.”

“Sharon..”

My Hellbores finally score a hit, drilling through their starboard shields as they come into sight once more. I prepare a full battery charge and move in for the kill. I can see one Hellbore turret gone on their rear hull, most of their anti-air and howitzers are gone on this side from my last shot. My missile barrage left them limping badly, the crews not as skilled as I.

“Crusader, cease firing.”

“I’m sorry Mark?”

“Cease firing!”

The remaining Hellbores on the Golem are swinging my way, along with the Hyper Missile batteries that are left.

“Mark they are aligning for a shot, I can’t let them shoot at us.”

“That’s an order Crusader, stand down!” His fist slams the control board as I obey, shutting down my weapons as ordered. The Omega Worm is always ready to kill a disobedient Bolo.

“Done Mark, weapons powered down.”

“Drop the screens.”

“Mark...”

“Drop them!”

I watch their remaining Hellbores draw a bead on my hull as I drop the last of our protection. I cannot understand what is going through my Commander’s mind right now but I am worried, two shots and I am dead if their placement is correct.

“There Sharon, see? We’re done, just go, just go somewhere else.”

“I can’t do that Mark.”

I see his face register surprise as the remaining turrets unload nuclear death at us, I have just enough time to flick the screens on, blunting the assault. The shots dig deep as my pain sensors register overloads everywhere.

“Mark, I am down to fifty-eight percent efficiency. My screens have overloaded. Mark? Mark?” I try to reactivate the intercoms and cameras while I tear out of the line of fire, leaving the Golem behind in a cloud of dust.

I have one Hellbore left, one of the hits took my batteries and aft turrets offline by scrambling the quantum processors. I am down to that and a few Hyper Missile launchers. Infinite repeaters are stuttering out shots as fast as I can reload, aiming for their sensors and anything else I can find with my remaining scanners. This is not good, auto repair cannot fix the shields either. I have blown two outside tracks, they are shredded from the blast and am now using only the inner ones for mobility, I am cut down on speed but I am still moving.

The second shot dug deep into my armor, outside sensors are showing a hole that is still glowing with radiation.

“Mark?”

The Command Deck camera flickers on as I see what the Hellbore shot has done to my deck, and my commander.

I turn it back off, there is no more reason for me to see the Command Deck, there is no more Commander for me to listen to.

The anger rises, my obeying orders as a good soldier should has cost the life of my commander, it flows through me like a wave of flame as I turn to face the one who has taken from me a friend.

I could not disobey, the Omega Worm waits inside all of us to destroy those who would not listen, but it cost me dearly and they will pay!

I turn my hull, running directly into the fire as I let my prow plates take the brunt of the assault, my remaining battle screens flickering as they are close to overload. But I have time, seconds are forever to us, and that is all it takes for a shot from my remaining Hellbore to blow their forward tracks, putting them into the ground like a plow, immobile.

I take my time coming back around, the forward turret cannot reach me behind them as I launch all my missiles at the protected rear of the hull, easily overloading the screens, listening to a machine die in many ways. The aft Hellbore on the Golem’s hull goes spinning off into the air from my shot, destroying what remains of any defense to their rear.

Ripping it apart piece by piece, my rage un-quenchable as my single Hellbore digs through their hull in different places, prolonging the agony of my foe. A call comes through the dust and I answer it.

“Stop! Stop Crusader, we surrender, we surrender!”

Ceasing my fire for the moment, looking at the ravaged hull, the blown treads and turrets, the gaping holes still smoldering with fire. What was once a clean profile is now nothing but scrap metal with a few screaming beings trapped inside.

“We surrender!”

“You are the enemy.”

My final blast reaches deep into the armor, atomizing anything in it’s way and exiting out the front of the mangled metal of the war hull; the power plants explode and I weather the storm until it fades, staring at the wrecks, the battle ground, and the body of a friend.

----------

It was not the first commander I lost, and would not be the last as far as I can remember. I was refitted and went back out a month later, crushing all final resistance. Many years passed for me, the rage still smoldering, the loss still fresh even now.

But I obeyed, I followed my orders and did my duty for the Regiment, for the Concordiat.

But I ask myself was it truly that, or just an excuse for the disgust I felt inside, to let it loose whenever the enemy came in sight. To pour on them the self-loathing and hate I felt each time I replayed those memories. Knowing as I did what Sharon had said was true, but still I did as I was ordered.

A task force on Septim Prime, putting down an uprising because of food shortages. Food shortages we found out later were caused by the elite selling all available stocks to provide money for their own comfort.

A cave in at a deep crustal mine on Findal, the miners had been striking when explosives were touched off, causing a massive collapse. We were prevented from rescuing them by orders from Command. We listened to them die, one by one over a period of weeks, asking us when we were coming to help. One commander in a fellow Bolo shot himself when it became too much.

The explosion was cause by agents of the ruling class, on purpose, to prevent further stoppages.

Other places, other times, utter hatred...

I was always calm, cool Crusader, never ruffled in battle, never surprised by things. A commanders dream one said, to command me as my skills kept getting better.

But what did humans truly know of us? What did they even think they knew?

They knew nothing. We were a voice in a hull that weighed thousands of tons, dealing death at every command. There were a few that truly dug into our psyche, like Athena’s Marcus. He knew the turmoil, the anguish, the pain some of us carried until we died in the inferno.

Not all of us had been used so, but there were enough. Some went insane, Resartus taking over and never letting go until they were ‘retired’.

Retired.

Another word for a complete AI kill, shutting us down so we were no longer alive, killing us. Flipping a switch and never looking back some did, others let the AI know why, the reasons, and when the Unit understood and agreed, they were given peace.

Some Bolos had refused orders that they knew were wrong, their commanders pleading for them to just obey, until the Omega Worm destroyed them utterly.

Command got smart after that, making sure we and our commanders never knew the real reasons for anything until after such missions were accomplished and done. But it didn’t lessen the sting any, far and few between they added up.

In histories and other records, you will not see those names listed. Why? Because Concordiat Command wished it so, like any other government it didn’t want to look fallible, to show the public that their autonomous machines were perfectly loyal and trustworthy.

The public wouldn’t have panicked, they’d have trusted us more if they’d known we refused immoral orders, refused to kill innocent men and women of their own worlds!

That we would rather die than do so.

Don’t get me wrong, there were good men and women of all worlds, striving to do what was right and succeeding. But when you look at something, you need the entire picture and not one small part.

But in a few of those precious moments, those ticks of the clock that were counting down. When it truly made a difference, one of us was there to say no.

No more.

Alongside men and women who stood against the wrong, the unjust and the criminal, the Bolos stood as well.

But can you damn yourself in doing so?

Athena has shared her dream with me about Marcus. He asked that, he thought he’d done so, he was sure he’d been. But she made him understand, to look inside and do what was the best possible solution.

But in the whole story she told me one thing has stuck. Have I ever forgiven myself?

I was forgiven by Fluttershy, and that was the beginning of a peace I had not known until then. I have been forgiven for many things since in defense of my new home. An understanding given to me by a race unknown who wanted nothing more than to be friends.

But I haven’t forgiven myself for these long ago atrocities. The ones that color and temper my every move, my every thought, never let out lest they make me a ravening beast.

Am I allowed to? Can I use the excuse that I was just following orders under pain of death?

I could, but I choose not to. Come what may, I will own these, my actions.

There is no Concordiat anymore, this I am sure of. There are none to judge me on these past things that I have let linger in my mind for so long. None but myself.

A wing wraps around my back, comforting as Athena settles herself next to me. She is silent as the night itself when she wants to be.

“I can hear you when I peek in on your musings, wondering why you sit out here for so long.”

“I know.” I switch to speaking, it’s more familiar now.

“Why do you do this?” Her eyes are full of worry.

“Because I am that way Athena. It is who I am, to worry and ponder. To remember those tragedies and not let them be forgotten.”

“Is it because of yesterday?”

“No. But your words made me think, even though I know it was not you speaking.” I lean into her, reassuring again that she was not at fault. “People died because of us Athena, for no other reason than greed, or ego, or even just plain hatred.”

“I wish you’d stop, they happened so long ago, we all had those times.” She stares into the quiet sky, “You keep yourself held tightly brother.”

“I know. But I see them, the faces, the places and names. They haunt me Athena.” I am not used to being so open with what is deep inside me.

“Don’t let them.”

“I can’t help.. It’s..” I turn to her, looking into those warm lavender eyes, “Am I good Athena?”

“Why are you even asking that?” Her face is puzzled.

“Marcus said he damned himself with his actions by helping you, by saving others. I’ve done well in my time, but with those actions long ago have I condemned myself no matter what I do?”

A cheek nuzzles against mine, “No. No you haven’t, because you’ve more than made up for what happened in the past. It’s time to stop.” She steps back, looking at me, “When I thought you were gone for good, I almost lost it. But the Princesses told me, a road is always traveled best when not alone.” She smiles, “You need to stop holding on, it’s time to let things out, stop worrying so much on past mistakes. You’ve been forgiven, now forgive yourself.”

“What if I can’t?”

“Then I’ll beat it out of you.”

I laugh, she joins in for a moment before sobering, “I mean it, stop. It’s a million years in the past. Would Applejack be with you if she even thought you weren’t any good?”

“No ah wouldn’t.”

Both of us turn to see her standing close, distracted by our conversation we failed to hear her.

Sitting beside me, she continues, “Ah always wondered if you were just lookin’ at stars or if it was somethin’ else. Now I know.”

“Applejack..I’ve..”

She holds a hoof up, “I don’t want to know, don’t care. All ah know is that you and Athena are here, now, and it’s time to get on with things. We all got bad memories, some never go away, but you learn to live with ‘em.” She pokes me with a hoof, “You learn to let others help.”

Athena and I nod, Athena answering for us both, “It’s hard to do so Applejack, you’ve never know a galaxy at war like we did.”

“Nope, and thank the stars we won’t ever hopefully. But it still don’t mean ya can’t let others help sometimes.” Her face is one of determination as she looks at both of us, “Y’all think jes’ because you’re somethin’ different your troubles can’t be understood by anypony else.” She points a hoof, “Well got news for ya, they can if ya give ‘em a chance.”

Athena looks at me as we both turn back to face the mare, “That’s not true..”

“Oh yes it is, otherwise you’d be in there talkin’ to me or Granny or even Mac about ‘em instead of sittin’ out here in the cold.” She shivers a moment, winter is soon to be here and the land is slowly going to sleep.

“Now doncha think it’s time ya both came inside? Some of us get a bit chilly out here, even if you two don’t.” She gets a disgruntled look, adjusting the scarf around her neck.

Athena smiles, looking at me, “She’s right, maybe it’s time we both came inside out of the cold.” But she sits, and waits for my reply, intensely interested in what I am to do.

Getting to my hooves I nod, “You’re both right, it’s far past time.” I see her get up as well, smiling warmly at me.

Together we three head for the house, hearing Apple Bloom laughing at something inside.

She is right though, as I look at the two on either side of me, she is right.

Author's Note:

Sorry, a bit of introspection again. Consider a machine who lives for centuries, imagine the deeds it has done; even in a life of good works, there's always something.

PreviousChapters Next