• Published 30th Dec 2014
  • 24,402 Views, 7,026 Comments

Legacy - NFire



A machine of war awakens in a new world. Can it become something more than it is?

  • ...
75
 7,026
 24,402

PreviousChapters Next
Some Gifts are Priceless.

As night falls, I receive a tearful transmission from Apple Bloom. It seems her nemesis is up to her old tricks, a warning like one I gave should have been enough. But it appears that she has found that the command has changed over into Applejack’s hooves you might say. This has caused her to go on the offensive again.

Apple Bloom is kind, courteous and a brave little filly, she obviously didn’t wish to show her sadness to her friends or her sister, so called on me.

If there is one things Bolos can do, it is listen.

As a first duty, I send a delayed message to Command, advising them of the breach of security on the command changeover, this angers me. Someone has used information to their advantage and I am not pleased.

I listen to heartfelt words, telling me of their attempts that day to obtain their cutie marks, but failing as it does not seem they can find their right places in this world. I tell her not to worry, it will come sooner or later, and I truly believe this. She is very sad at being teased, told that she is a ‘blank flank’ and that she will never measure up to what others think she should. This is spurious at best, an excuse to belittle somepony and I tell her so. That bullies are to be pitied, as they cannot realize they themselves look more foolish than the person they are teasing.

Listening and providing advice is something I am not used to, though it comes easily. Through my years dealing with humans, I find the psychology almost the same. Same problems, different species. It seems as if some things truly are universal.

Our conversation lasts quite a few hours, her determination not to sleep and my insistence she does, butts heads. So I pass the night time with her, chatting about anything and everything. It pains me I am so far away and cannot comfort a bit better, which does give me a few ideas.

She advises me her birthday is to be in a couple days, and she’s hoping to have a nice party, this definitely gives me an idea. Although it would be breaking by a wide margin my own proscription against technology, I feel this one instance is quite worth the effort.

I tell her before she breaks the link, that I will have quite the special surprise for her that morning. Of course that only makes her want to know more, but I end up telling her goodnight before I break the link from my end. Surprises should not be given away, she ought to know better.

-------------

I contact Command, Princess Luna answers, and I advise her of what I wish to do. She does laugh quite a bit, and gives me the approval to do it, seeing as how the Crusaders have made quite the impression on her over the last couple of years.

I set my tech spiders to work digging and refurbishing, this will most definitely be something she has wanted.

--------------

Throughout the next day, I am constantly getting calls from Apple Bloom, asking me about the surprise, I realize too late I should have said nothing, but, I will bear the strain. Applejack of course is quite curious as to why Apple Bloom is so excited, she comes and visits me during the day.

“Hello Commander. Curious as well?”

“Well ya might say so, seems you got Apple Bloom all in an uproar, promising her something special for her birthday.”

“I keep my promises Commander.”

“Please just call me Applejack, ah’ve asked ya before.”

“My apologies Applejack.”

I watch her set down on a couch, eyeballing my lens, “So what exactly is it?”

“What is what?”

“Now don’t you be getting sly on me, you know exactly what!”

“It is a surprise Applejack, can we just leave it that way?”

She thinks for a moment, pushing her hat back on her head, “I dunno, something tells me your kind of surprise might be a bit more than ponies are ready for.”

“You have my word, no harm will befall anypony.”

Her eyes narrow a bit, “I notice you didn’t say anything.”

“Trust me on this Applejack.”

“Why does that make me nervous?”

“You are welcome to be here when the surprise is given, will that suffice?”

“You know, you got somethin’ up your sleeve, but I don’t get the feeling you’d hurt anypony, so yeah. I’ll be here, we all will, I want to see this.”

I actually laugh through the speakers, catching her and myself off guard. I have never experienced true humor.

“I promise, nothing bad.”

She eyes me one last time before leaving the command deck, “I’ll be watching, I dunno ‘bout you Crusader.”

I watch as she leaves the command deck a bit worried. I am positive nothing untoward will happen. But this is one gift only I can give, I’m sure it will be appreciated.

--------------

My technical spiders work through the night, finally finishing the modifications and digging a tunnel up to the surface, the gift is waiting in the morning when Apple Bloom arrives, along with Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Applejack and the others. Pinkie is prepared to throw a party on the hill among my sensor columns as I watch her set out the streamers, the food and presents.

“Welcome Applejack, and Apple Bloom, I suppose you want your gift now?”

Apple Bloom, already hopped up on enough sugar to kill a large mammal, is bouncing around, looking for her gift, “Yes! You said it’d be great! What is it?”

Everypony was setting around the tables, where Pinkie got them I was afraid to ask. “Just look to the east.”

She turns to the forests edge where I had hidden her gift, it came roaring out of the treeline, stopping in a shower of dirt as I locked the treads in place.

A Dragon Class Assault Tank is a fearsome thing, one of the best made items for humans to be in when an attack on the ground happened. It is one hundred and fifty tons of durasteel armor, one 20cm Hellbore, and co-axial infinite repeaters. It is quite the thing to see on the battlefield.

I carry thirty of them in my cargo bays, they are my auxiliary units, along with ten troop carriers. Operation Diaspora was very well supplied. Digging the tunnel to get it out took all my tech spiders to accomplish, and refurbishing it so the weapons absolutely will not fire was a priority.

This one also has a large insignia on the side of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, a vehicle which given their propensity for doing damage, is perfect for them.

“WHOA! What’s that?” Apple Bloom is about to have a coronary it appears.

“That Apple Bloom, is a tank, for you to ride around in for the next few hours.”

The older ponies of course are quite appalled, Applejack is giving me what was once known as ‘The Hairy Eyeball.” I cheerfully ignore her as I direct Apple Bloom and the Crusaders how to put on the tank crew helmets, remade for ponies, and where the commander sits, as well as the driver and gunner. I tell them how to strap safely in and we are ready to move.

I advise Applejack through her link I have complete control over this machine, it will go nowhere I do not want it to. Although she is still giving me a look of pure death, she nods.

Apple Bloom is sitting in the tank commanders turret seat, waving at Applejack, “Lookit me sis!” Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle are sitting in the driver and gunners seats, Rarity looks as if she’s having an attack of apoplexy, but I am sure she’ll be fine.

“Are you ready Apple Bloom?”

“Yeah! Let’s go!”

“Then I advise you to hang on!”

I watch as she screams for a second, the tank digging in and throwing soil in a rooster tail as it takes off along the ground. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo are also taken by surprise, their manes blowing straight back as it gears up, tearing across the landscape. But they soon realize they will not be harmed, leaning out of the hatches and into the wind.

The Dragon Assault Tank can travel at speeds of 150kph, doing breakneck turns as well due to the treads. I keep it far lower than this, but it does go smashing through any obstacle, I had advised Princess Luna that there would be some damage to the countryside.

It seems as if the gift is a hit, if one can tell by the yelling and screaming coming from the tank as it zooms by the hill. The treads are digging deep into the loamy soil, bouncing up and down the rolling countryside as it tears its way through bushes and debris, leaving quite a wake of destruction in its path.

I am quite proud of my former commander, hanging on the turret repeater as it bounces along the grassy knolls.

For the next half hour, I roll them along the forests edge, trampling down the brush there, I admit it gives a perverse pleasure for me to see that. Of course Sweetie Belle is actually the loudest one squealing in pure delight as they roll over the hills, she has a wonderful voice as she sings out to her sister when they zoom by.

Rarity for some reason is now reclining on a couch, fanning herself, I’m not quite sure what exactly is the matter, but I prepare a call for medical if needed.

As Apple Bloom points out directions, I move the tank that way, avoiding any directions not with a safety margin, although jumping the one hill was not intended I admit it looked quite neat. Scootaloo is having the time of her life, sitting in the drivers seat, she’s yelling along with them, grinning wide as she waves to everypony.

I call for a break after thirty minutes of destroying countryside. The three Crusaders scramble out of the tank, running excitedly up the hill yelling and chattering to the older ponies. A small crowd has come out to the party, as Pinkie does seem to throw very nice ones, and were cheering the fillies along the route.

Applejack of course, is happy her sister is having a good time, although I get the feeling she is not very pleased with me.

I receive a quiet call over the link.

“What in the hay do you think yer doin’?”

“Giving my former commander a birthday surprise. I advised Princess Luna there would be damage to the countryside, it will recover I’m sure.”

“That’s not the point, letting three fillies run around in somethin’ like that!”

“Considering the amount of trouble they get in Applejack, would you prefer they control things on their own, or be in a controlled area like this?”

“That..I.. now darnit!”

I wait patiently while she calms down.

“This ain’t gonna happen alot is it?”

“No Applejack, maybe just for birthdays.”

“Alright, but..I mean c’mon Crusader, that things dangerous!”

“I could have left the weapons usable, I’m sure Apple Bloom would have loved that.”

“Crusader, one o’ these days!”

“Yes?”

“Agh!” The link gets turned off, though my sensors show me Applejack flapping her hat on the ground before putting it back on. I have the strangest feeling of childlike glee right now.

The party of course, is running full swing, Apple Bloom and her friends are taking turns in the tank, the countryside is definitely getting quite a workout, which is fine. The grass will grow back, and if the mix includes a few signal controlled directional mines as a surprise for the forest, so much the better. I can have a good time as well, but being a Bolo is never being unable to take advantage of a situation, especially when it comes to the enemy.

Applejack has calmed down enough to enjoy her sisters good cheer. I see her waving to Apple Bloom when she passes by the hill. It surprises me that not one pony has asked what the technology is, how it is built, or if they could use it. I was wondering if they would take advantage of seeing such a thing, but, it is like they surely do not care. I believe they want things to remain like they are, and I would too, it is a peaceful place here near Ponyville.

The ride ends for the final time now, the tank parked and idling as the extremely dirty fillies make their way back to the party on the hillside. I make a note to maintainance the tank thoroughly as it is the first time it has moved in quite a while, though putting it through its paces is showing me no deterioration in any systems.

Applejack however, is talking with Twilight as her link comes back on.

“Crusader?”

“Yes Applejack?”

“Well.. thank you, for giving Apple Bloom this gift, she’s so excited now she won’t sleep for a week. Her friends that didn’t come to the party are going to be pretty mad for missing it.”

“It was my pleasure Applejack.”

I see Twilight nudge Applejack, saying something not quite caught by the link.

“Uhm..Crusader?”

“Yes?”

“Could uh.....we go for a ride too?”

“Of course!”

I politely did not watch as somehow they got Rarity in the tank, although she still looked fashionable in a tankers crew helmet, I did not realize she could yell so loudly.

Author's Note:

Don't lie, you'd want to do it too :twilightsmile:

PreviousChapters Next