• Published 13th Dec 2014
  • 1,880 Views, 33 Comments

A Lonely, Wandering Heart - Ironfire Skies



Twilight Sparkle travels to Manehattan to visit and cure a sick friend. She tends to go by hoof instead of the train, but then some obstacles and problems had to be faced along her journey.

  • ...
1
 33
 1,880

Chapter 5 - When Will The Blizzard Die Down?

By the time I had finished my cup of reheated hot chocolate, the day transitioned to being less bright. The sun never showed because it was winter. Clouds of various types still covered the blue sky, mostly dark gray in color. Hearth’s Warming Eve was three weeks away, and I stayed in Grandpa’s cabin for one day, going on two. Unfortunately, the weather still did not calm itself down. The blizzard was still going about.

Earlier, Grandpa's letter had answered that one question regarding my friends' presents. Not only that, he also revealed in his letter that the "unknown force" pushing down that brown box was his spirit. I wish I had the ability to see his sprit with a third eye, it would've came in handy. One fact I read about the spirit world, is that entities - as such - choose not to reveal themselves until ready. Whether to a loved one such as a grand child.

How did his soul have a will of its own, and knock down that box to get my attention? As much as I desired to have this answered, there is more on my plate at this moment. My friends' presents, finding a flu medication for Coco Pommel, and this blizzard. I'm feeling like a mess. I looked down to the living room floor, ears down, and closed my eyes in despair. When I did this, my horn unexpectedly glowed at its own will.

With my eyes closed, all I could see was a blackhole within the abyss.

'Twilight Sparkle. Remember to pray in times of doubt, sorrow and when you feel to have no hope.' An anonymous voice said, within the darkness of my closed eyes.

' Huh? Who are you?' My conscious asked.

'I am Christ, your Lord and Savior. I am here inside your thoughts, Twilight'.

'How did you get into my thoughts?'

'Never underestimate your faith, it can do many great things in your life. I am a heavenly spirit, I can do many wonders.'

'I know you, dear Lord. I just feel so hopeless. On this journey, I pray that your light will be there to guide the way to my destination. That CoCo Pommel may be healed from her flu with your healing hoof' Twilight Sparkle's conscious said again.

'I will bestow my healing hoof upon her until you arrive at Manehattan. I wish you the best on your adventure'. The glow in my horn dimmed.

I was shedding tears of sorrow. These were no tears of joy nor doubt, because this three week adventure had taken a toll on me. My eyes were still shut, as tears continued to drip down my face.
I’m in prayer.

As the voice of Jesus eventually faded away from my mind, including my conscious. I slowly was able to open my eyes back up. My eyes were red from crying while in prayer, which normally doesn't happen to me when I did this with my family. When my horn glowed, it was a sign indicating Christ was present - not physically - but spiritually. I admired myself, for having the courage to pray alone. But it's not the same inner peace you feel when you pray with family.

My eyes ran out of tears to cry, as my tear gap did dry up after awhile. When I was a filly, I always felt crying was a sign of weakness. But it isn't, it's a sign that the emotional wound will heal with time. That things will improve, get better.

'Thank you, Lord Almighty!'

I smiled softly, feeling relieved I was no longer shedding waterfalls. I finally was able to open my eyes, still slightly red from crying.

I sat on the brown sofa and turned my head to the window in the near distance. The six square window, was approximately four to six centimeters away from where I was sitting. I am by the fireplace, feeling warmed up after drinking a reheated hot chocolate. The view of the flame, burning within the chimney, gave me a sense of comfort I hadn't felt since I was little. As I sat on the brown sofa, with the finished hot coco mug on top of the coffee table, I couldn't help but think about my parents.

What could Mom and Dad be doing right now? I wonder.

I made the decision to cast locatum visualis, a spell I learned in the School of Magic in my early teens. Locatum Visualis is casted in times of dangerous emergencies or used to see the activities of other ponyfolk. Say for example, you desire to see what dear activities your mother and father are involving themselves in, then this is a charitable moment to seize and make use of locatum visualis.

I closed my eyes for the second time, lit my horn with it’s usual magenta aura, and solely concentrated my thoughts only on Mom and Dad. To utilize the use of this spell, I had to think of the ponies I was searching for in my core memory.

I desire to know what mother and father are doing during the winter season, in Canterlot.

My horn glowed magenta as I took the time to let the spell take course. A warm sensation of magic surrounded me as I closed my eyes to concentrate on locatum visualis. The usual background of the cabin's living room slowly disappeared as the spell finally took its effect. I felt the euphoria of white glowing orbs coming toward me. The white glowing orbs then quickly multiplied to form an overlapped oval. Once the site of the living room disappeared, I saw the most wondrous site I had ever seen.

Through the spell, it revealed a white tower with many countless windows. I recognized the building right away, it was my former foal hood residence.

Mother. Father. What are you both doing to prepare for the holidays? I began to wonder.


In the Sparkle residence, Twilight Velvet and her husband, Night Light are decorating their fir tree with assorted holiday ornaments of red, green and gold. The couple decide to spend the holiday by being in each others' company, along with a very special visitor, all the way from Ponyville.

Their oldest child, Shining, is celebrating Hearth's Warming this year in the Crystal Empire with his family. But for their youngest child, Twilight, both parents are unaware of the self voyage she is on.

"Nighty, honey. We know that Shining Armor is celebrating with Cadence this year. But what about Twilight, do you know what she's doing for Hearth's Warming?" Velvet asks her husband.

As her husband is decorating the fir tree with a unique looking ornament, he levitates the special ornament from the intended spot he wanted to decorate, to reply to his wife. "No Vel, I do not have the slightest idea of what our little girl is doing. Maybe she's spending the holidays with her friends. Why?"

Night Light then levitates the unique looking ornament next to a hoof-made gold ornament, with the initials ND painted in the center. He and his wife continue gathering additional ornaments from a brown box labeled in black permanent marker: "Father's Hearth's Warming decorations, personally hoof-made." As both of them continue decorating the tree, top to bottom, an earth pony with a tan coat is seen rolling a four wheeled cart holding three cups of hot chocolate.

Freshly hot, made by yours truly, Dr. Hooves.

Hooves is currently visiting the Sparkle's residence in Canterlot. Unbeknownst to the Sparkles, their only daughter is staying in Night Light’s father’s cabin he hoof built. Plus, with Dr. Hooves keeping them company, they were safe from the enchanted blizzard of the winter woods.

'Should I tell them about what Twilight is doing?'

'Don't, it'll make her mom and dad worry for her. Let them spend the Hearth's Warming together that they deserve'. A mysterious voice whispers in his mind. Hooves brushes off the thought and focuses on serving the hot chocolate he prepared.

By the time hot chocolate is ready and still steaming hot, Night Light and Velvet are about halfway done with tree decorating. The loving couple turn their heads to the tan coated stallion and glance at the hot chocolate - still steaming - right before their eyes.

“Hot chocolate is ready!” Hooves hollers out, as he rolls the cart further towards the fireplace. Night Light and Velvet get up from where they sat excitedly, as their eyes glitter with delight at the site of the fir tree porcelain mugs filled with hot chocolate.

"Turner, how did you manage to prepare hot coco in the nick of time?" Night Light says, still trying to contain his excitement.

"It only took me fifteen minutes and ten seconds exactly to prepare this holiday concoction for the three of us", Time Turner says, as he grabs a cup for himself.

"You can do mental math?" Velvet chuckles, as she begins to sip from her cup.

"Yeah, I taught myself mental math when my own mother and father were too busy to pay attention to me.." he says, hesitantly after taking a sip from his cup, "my mother, Astra Torch, is a unicorn who creates spells related to time travel and to see beyond the living. While my father, Tobias Turner is a traveling biology teacher. He was never around too much to raise me because of his job. I was pretty much raised by you guys growing up, along with a close family friend who divided her time between work and her own family", he says, as Time Turner looks down sadly. Before taking a sip of his coco.

Velvet puts her drink down, then heads by Time Turner's side to comfort him, as the stallion sheds tears. "I know Astra, I know she wouldn't just abandon you without having her own intentions. When you were growing up Turner, her own role as a spell creator took up most of her time, which explains why she wasn't around so much. I'm sorry if your own mother's actions made you feel this way for such a long time. You were only seven when she started not being around much". She then gives him a loving hug.

"As for your father, Tobias. He never payed much attention to your passion for science and technology. He too was caught up in his own work as a teacher, traveling to different universities in Equestria teaching Biology. I can comprehend where you were coming from", Night Light says, as he soothes a hoof comfortingly on Time Turner's back.

"My parents may have been long time friends with you. But they weren't able to provide me with the love I truly desired, which was to love me as I am. Both mom and dad couldn't provide me with that kind of love because they were workaholics. They were both married to their work".

All Night Light and his wife could do is listen intently. They give him one more quick hug before letting go of their embrace from him.

"My wife and I love you like you're a part of the Sparkles family. You may not be our biological child, but we love you as much as Twilight loves you as a second brother", Night Light says affectionately. He and his wife then nuzzle him lovingly before going back to sip their hot coco.


'My long time friend is visiting my family in Canterlot?!' My mind was about to go into shock.

The wondrous ability this spell possesses was the ability to hear what others are saying. I can hear them chatting about Turner's past with his parents. I use to love spending time with them when they were not too caught up with work. I missed Astra Torch teaching me teleportation techniques as a filly, and Tobias teaching me so many wonderful facts about our world's ocean animals.

In general, I missed his parents' presence with mine. Our parents were friends, and are still friends to this day. They've only been major workaholics. Hoove's parents rarely paid their attention to their own son when we were growing up. But this incident only happened behind closed doors.

The surrounding of the spell revealing my parent's activity began to dissipate. I need not worry, they were doing just fine with my brother - from - another - mother. Eventually, the spell revealing what was once the tower faded out of sight.

As I look back at where I am now, I am on the floor of Grandpa's living room looking at one at the medium looking sized windows at the blizzard. I wondered. 'When will this blizzard die down?'

I had prayed earlier that Coco be healed from the flu, but I also wonder, what else did I forget to pray for? That second prayer will be for the next day. What's more important right now is this blizzard, when will this thundering weather calm itself down?

An inner realization eventually hit me. This cabin, hoof built by Grandpa Night Dusk, is built in the enchanted winter woods. That explains the bizarre blizzard, it acts upon its own will. But why?

Stay tuned, there is more to tell.

Author's Note:

Hi ya'll, Sango here. This chapter took me about a week or more to finish since I was occupied with other things besides writing. But here it is, the chapter you readers had been waiting for. When you are done reading, comment what you think is interesting about this chapter. I hope you guys like what Chapter 5 has to offer.

Listening to:
Mary Did You Know (Pentatonix Cover)
Santa Tell Me - Ariana Grande
Underneath the Tree - Kelly Clarkson
Cold December Night - Michael Bible

Comments ( 8 )

An interesting chapter.

Decent development for Hooves and his parents as well as his relationship with Twilight an fher parents.

Curious to see where you take this next.

11587374
I tried. There was no mention of his parents from the show, since he was merely a background character before and side character. So I had to develop something about this family.

The multiple paragraphs of dialogue I wrote about his parents are inspired by my own experiences, kinda. According to Hooves, his parents were not around much growing up. So, I thought about what it was like having working parents.

My mother was a hard working parent for a government agency, she was around more than my own father growing up. This is opposite of Hoove’s situation with his father, my father was around just not always by my side.

11587416
Yeah my dad was military so I hardly saw him too. Mom was around often though.

11587717
At least your mom was around.

Next chapter is being brainstormed, I already have the title for it.

11587723
Hmm. The chapter is titled, I quote, Searching for a Winter Outfit.

11587730
Hopefully it'll be published sometime at the end of May or beginning of June, TBD. I'm not entirely sure. The chapter still needs tons of brainstorming.

Login or register to comment