• Published 1st May 2013
  • 7,680 Views, 199 Comments

Faster Than Light - Jet Howitzer



An Astronaut finds himself quite a long way from home... Quite a long way indeed.

  • ...
25
 199
 7,680

Prologue: The Wright Flyer

The gentle hum of the prototype FTL craft suffused the atmosphere with subtle vibrations. The pilot of the vessel slowly moved his hands over the console, measuring his pace with his breathing. The instructions had been quite clear, and a single misstep could cost him his life, and the Earth much more. The small countdown timer that had been put atop the main screen clicked down closer and closer to zero. He’d been aboard for nearly two hours, now, and there were just three minutes left until he made history.

A quick hiss of static preluded the voice of the nervous comms officer back on Earth. “Wright Flyer, this is UEA CentCom, do you copy?”

With a quick flick of his finger, the pilot opened the channel, allowing a moment for the connection to be verified. “Copy, CentCom, Wright Flyer reads loud and clear. Still waiting for things to get interesting, though.” A faint chuckle came over the com. “Not that it’s boring sitting on top of the single most expensive device ever crafted by human hands.”

“Abderus.” The voice that came over the com was a deeper voice than the last one, and the pilot sat up a bit straighter at hearing it. “I trust you know who I am?”

“Yes, sir. You’re Admiral Hayes, current ranking officer in the UEA Navy.”

“Good. Now, in a minute and a half you’ll be hitting the big green button that is the sole purpose of that massive ship you’re in. While we’re not in the business of pessimism, I trust that you know the possible outcomes of what you’ve signed up for, correct?”

The pilot was silent for several long moments before he answered. “Yes, sir. I am aware.”

“Good. Now, I’ve downloaded a small file to the computers aboard the ship. I hope to God, or whatever deity you fancy, that you don’t have to know what it is.” The com went silent for several moments, and then the admiral came back on. “Last thirty, Abderus. Anything you want to say to the people of Earth?”

“Oh man, talk about pressure. Um, always match your leathers?” The pilot frowned for a moment before a smile came to his face. “Oh, I know. A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step? Better! Never underestimate the power of one.”

A low chuckle came over the coms, and then the pilot glanced at the counter. “Stick with piloting, philosophy isn’t your strong suit. Now, godspeed, Wright Flyer.”

The big green button that was the sole purpose of the ship glowed with a sickening internal light, and the pilot’s finger came down on it with all the finality of a man condemning another to death. The first rumble that passed through the ship was expected. The second rumble that passed through the ship, was not.

The sickening lurch that followed the second rumble made all the lights on the ship fail, and with an inaudible screech of agony, the material universe was rent asunder as Mankind sent their first piloted object into the realm of Faster Than Light travel.


“Computer, run the numbers again.”

“Processing...” There was a minute long pause before the computer spoke again. “Processing...” This pause was just as long as the first, but, somehow, twice as annoying to the living passenger. “Processing...”

“Just run the numbers, don’t tell me that you’re doing it.”

Several more tense minutes of silence passed before an answer came.

“Calculations complete. Current velocity, based on thirteen variable calculations, is 8.01 times ten to the forty fourth light years per day. Answer is certain within .07311 light years per day.”

“And I’m telling you that’s still not possible! This ship should be pulling two light years per year! Not... what is it?”

“Current velocity is 1.463 times ten to the forty seventh times the best estimated velocity. Our velocity, in terms of the accepted speed of light, is 2.926 times ten to the forty seventh times the speed of light. The answer has not changed an appreciable amount in the past seven calculations.”

“And how long have we been traveling?”

“Thirty three hours, nineteen minutes, forty seconds and counting.”

The pilot closed his eyes for a moment, desperate to put the magnitudes in perspective. “So, logically, we’ve passed the bounds of the universe, right?”

“Correct.”

“So what are we traveling in now?”

“... Insufficient data for answer.”

“Helpful. How much air do I have? And food? How much of that do I have?”

“Enough for eight months. Ten months under strict rationing rules. It was originally speculated that the ship would reach somewhere just past the asteroid belt before fuel reserves would be depleted. Clearly a mistake was made. The return trip to Earth from the estimated terminal point was calculated to take about seven months.”

“Glad they decided to let me know all the details of this trip.”

“The full terms were in the contract you signed.”

“Of course...” Abderus glared at the consoles for a moment. “Can we stop traveling at FTL speeds?”

“Unknown.”

“What would be required to find out?”

“Unknown.”

“How can you not know? How was this test supposed to go?”

“Under conceived test notions a simple counter pulse of tachyonic particles would cause the stable FTL envelope to collapse, forcing us into a relativistic speed matching our departure velocity.”

“And what’s the problem with that method now?”

“The ship is unable to accelerate tachyonic particles to a high enough velocity.”

“What if we tried anyway?”

“Unknown.”

“Warm up the pulse emitters. In the meantime, call up the files the admiral sent. I’m interested, since I don’t think I’ll be getting home anytime soon.”

“Emitters will be prepared within the hour. File is on screen, waiting on your action.”

With a shaky hand, Abderus opened the folder, revealing three files within. The first to be opened was one from the admiral.

The admiral’s face appeared on the screen, his eyes seeming to stare right at the pilot. “Well, it looks like Dr. Hatke was right. The system couldn’t be scaled up quite like we thought it could. I don’t know how fast you’re going, now, if you’re even going anywhere at all. The hypotheses for a failed test are more numerous than there are grains of sand on a beach. All I know is that you’re not coming home. I won’t mince words with you, Abderus. You’re lost to humanity by this point. Short of a bloody miracle, you’re gone.

“However, this doesn’t mean that your trip is at an end. If you can manage to get the ship out of FTL drive, or whatever it happens to be doing, you might be able to do something. The odds are, as with everything in space, astronomically bad. But, as I was told, so were the chances of the test going wrong.

“The other messages in this file will be more personal than I can be, but I still want to say that I’m damn proud to have had you in my Navy, even if it was only for a few months. I’ve got to get this whole file saved, now, and sent off to you, so I’ll leave you with a simple gesture.” The admiral snapped to attention as he looked at Abderus, his gaze unflinching. “Under statute thirteen, section twelve, addendum nine, you are now relieved from all active duty. Honorable discharge, full commendation.” The elderly admiral’s gaze softened. “If you ever make it home, I’ll treat you to a beer.”

The screen quickly faded to black, and then back to the folder with the remaining two files. The second one was from Abderus’ father, and it jumped right in, portraying the old man sitting in a large chair.

“If you’re watching this, it means that you either got bored on the trip home, or something went wrong. They told me that this could happen, but... It just doesn’t seem real. No matter how it happened, you’re famous, but that doesn’t ease the ache I’ll feel when I get the news. Or, better yet, when the world finds out. They didn’t tell you, but you’ll be on every news network on Earth. Even the ChiKor Republic is interested in what’s going on up in the black.

“But none of that really matters to me. I just want to wish you well, and ask you to act responsibly, and rationally, in whatever situation you might be in now. Whether you’re courting the ‘fine honeys’ of some alien planet, or you’re sparking a revolution in some parallel universe, know that I support you.” His eyes narrowed for a moment, and then he continued. “Just remember that at the end of the day you’ll have to live with whatever you get yourself involved in.

“I’d end this by saying that I love you, but you already know that. I could also tell you that I’ll miss you, but we both know that I won’t. Not really, anyway. Not out of spite, but because I know that you’d think it’s stupid. Missing you is a selfish act, since I simply want you to be here with me, rather than you being out there, doing what you want to do. So, go out there, wherever there is, and live your life. And tell those pessimistic statisticians to eat a shoe. You’ll wind up on a planet, and you’ll make a ruckus there just like you did here at home.”

The screen cut to black abruptly, and then the home screen came up at last. The final file opened, revealing the clean shaven face of Dr. Johnson, the president of Neutrino, the company that created the ship, and was leading the way in space technology.

“Well, it happened. The first ‘real’ disaster in space since Apollo 13. And it happened during my time as acting president.” He shook his head, looking off at something out of view for a moment. “Can’t say that I’m totally surprised that it happened. Wish that it had happened on someone else’s watch, but I can’t do much about the hand I get dealt. I trust that the others who sent you messages dealt with your emotional side. I’m here to lay down a single fact.

“We all know that my company has enormous influence on the politics of the UEA. I used this influence to... coerce the adoption of a policy. A very specific policy. One that entails you, and only you. Full, irrevocable, immunity. Should you happen upon an alien species, all your earthly ties are effectively severed. You have no enforced national loyalty. You are loyal only to what you feel is right, and anything you say or do is at your discretion. If you want to lay out everything you know about our military to some alien overlord, be my guest.

“I don’t think you’ll do that, but if you do, it won’t be held against you. That being said, I wish you the best of luck in whatever fate awaits you.”

Abderus stared at the computer for quite some time before he let out a sigh.

“Computer... What’s the status on the pulse emitters?”

“Fully charged, and awaiting your order.”

“What are the possible outcomes?”

“Full stop on FTL drives, decrease in velocity, or no effect.”

“Well, what have I got to lose?”

“Unclear question. Please restate query.”

Abderus sighed as he slowly squeezed the bridge of his nose. “It’s a saying. A... A colloquialism.”

“Understood.”

“Engage the pulse emitters. Time waits for no man, and at our velocity... Well, better sooner rather than later.”


A single spot in space rippled for a moment. A random atom of helium that happened to be at that exact point in space wavered for a moment as its mass was forced into a singularity. The resulting release of energy creating a small detonation of energy that heralded the arrival of the Wright Flyer. The kilometer long craft exited the blast of energy unscathed, as the residual effects of the FTL shielding dissipated, leaving behind a massive aurora of energy as the magnetic fields interacted with each other. Had Abderus been able to see it, he’d have been left speechless by the beauty of the event. As it was, he had his hands full coping with the controls of the unresponsive vessel.

Exactly five beings were aware of the arrival of the Wright Flyer. One of them was aboard the ship. The other four were on the remarkably Earth like planet far below the ship. Two of these beings were amateur astronomers, their telescopes barely noting the flash of light. Still, for these two creatures the event was out of the ordinary. The third was in a state of deep rest, her mind recovering from the ardors of her day to day duties. The sudden arrival of the massive object roused her from her rest, and with nary a moment wasted, she vanished from her chambers. The final creature to note the arrival did so with a measure of distaste.

“Sister, it ruined my night sky.”

“I don’t think it was intentional, sister. I daresay he is probably no more pleased than you are with what’s happening.”

“How can you... wait, he?”

“A glimmer of a thought. His mind is surprisingly difficult to grasp. It flitters from thought to thought with a speed that is quite admirable. And more than that, he has no natural magics, other than the magic of life.”

“No natural magic? How can it soar through my night sky without any magic?”

“That remains to be seen. Still, he won’t be landing anytime soon. A few months, if my mathematics aren’t wrong.”

“So we have time to prepare?”

“Yes, but I think it would be best if we let nature take its course. Life around here has grown a bit dull since Twilight’s coronation. And I do think that Twilight and her friends will handle this well.”

“You’re going to trust a bunch of... Fillies to handle this?”

“Of course not. I will be sending several of my best to watch over things. And they aren’t fillies, Luna. They’re all of age, and they’ve all proven themselves to be fully responsible, in their own way.”

“What if you’re wrong?”

“Then we’ll have to intervene.” The white alicorn fell silent for a moment, her ears twitching, and a smile flashing across her face. “But I do think that this will be quite a nice change of pace for Twilight and her friends. Especially considering this creature’s mind.”

“How do you mean?”

“Patience, sister. Although I’ll tell you the biggest factor right now, if you like.”

“Do tell.”

“Sarcasm does not become you, Luna. The second largest factor is going to be the language barrier. He does not speak our language, and no translation spell will work, for he cannot be made to pull in latent knowledge from those around him.”

“Immersion is the fastest way to learn a language.”

“True, but cultural similarities, and cultural differences, will make that process go faster or slower. And given his personality, and what little I could glean from my glimpse, he’ll find adapting to our way of life to be quite a challenge.”

Author's Note:

Well, my first attempt at HiE.

Please note that the UEA (United Earth Alliance) is a work of my own creation, and it will be the backdrop for the actual novel that I am working on.