• Published 2nd Nov 2014
  • 417 Views, 22 Comments

Metal Wings - Halfpaw



One will alway see the sky and wish to touch it. To soar like the thousands who do it everyday. Naive to the gift they have been blessed with. But what will one Earth pony be willing to do to fly like his heros?

  • ...
1
 22
 417

Bucking Universe is out to get me

I decided to walk around the gardens statues.

There were many yet I knew what they represented. Though there were many they all displayed a literal depiction of a form of emotion. Love, bravery, and discord were among my favorite of the statues because it gave a clear picture of what we ponies envision these emotions as.

I looked at the statue representing discord for a bit as I recalled the story of his defeat. It talked about how a being brought discord to Equestria throwing it into a state of inconstancy that was unimaginable in our current society.

Complete rubbish of course, no creature can wield as much power as the draconequus was claimed to do at leisure. But I enjoyed the symbolic nature of the ancient tale, despite the fact I disagreed with its more obvious lesson that chaos was evil and should be rid of. Without chaos society wouldn’t be able to properly grow. We would be without the debates or augments needed to make well educated decisions, the many forms of arts that come from ideas that are products of our chaotic imagination, and any sort of distinguishable personality to differed two ponies from one another. Without chaos not only would our society collapse on itself, but would life be worth living?

Looking back at the accomplishments of ponykind ever since the banishment of “Discord” was claimed to be I wondered if this accent story held any merit. We have practically have accomplished nothing worth mentioning in our history books since then so it made sense that we have been without chaos for the last 1,000 years.

Well that got deep fast.

I looked up to see my guards staring at me once more. I lifted my head nodding to them in a gesture of recognition and they turned back to scene the surrounding area for anything that may be of a threat.

“What a shame that a virtue as cruel as honesty is so revered in our society, whereas ones as necessary as discord and chaos is looked down on by the majority of ponies. Isn’t that right my dear petrified draconequus?”

I looked up at the statue after addressing it only to see it stare back at me with its pained expression indifferently. Oh well It wasn’t as though I expected it to smile, the idea of a statue being alive is absurd.

Let us go closer to the castle, I wouldn’t want to get to close to the castle incase Celestia came to retrieve me. I can’t imagine the princess talking to my mother for much longer.

Without warning I walked toward the castle. I was pleased to see my guards follow without me having to acknowledge the fact I was leaving.

As I was heading to section of the gardens closer to the castle I noticed my one of my guards wasn’t at my side like he should
“Why is there only 4 of you” I said to nopony in particular.

“Quick Hoofs is talking to the teacher of that group you talked to earlier. Apparently she wanted a apologize for insulting one of her students.”

“I see, could you perhaps lead me to him so I can attempt to find a compromise to my predicament?”

“I am afraid we cannot do that Sir, we were told to keep you out of harm’s way and that could be a possible hazardous to your health. Who knows what the teacher may do to you if anger her too much.”

“Oh no, what possible horrors may the school teacher inflict upon my incent soul!” I said mockingly annoyed by the protective manner in which I was being treated. I managed myself perfectly without aid for years, yet Celestia for whatever reason decided that I was unable to protect myself for an afternoon. I really wish I had brought my crossbow, then I could show them what a helpless foal could do. “Considering it’s her job to civilly discipline disobedient foals all day I would assume she wouldn’t inflict any permanent harm on me. Also with five guards, two of which are unicorns, I find the idea that she would attempt to inflict any sort of harm on me ludicrous.”

The guard frowned obviously uncertain with letting me near the mare yet seeing no flaw in my logic.

“If you are to be respectful I see no reason not to, but as I said before I dislike the idea of bringing you near possible conflict.”

“There is always a way for a fool to hurt himself, the trick is having the common sense not to.”

Without word the guards lead me to their comrade who was bickering with the teacher at the hoof of Discords statue, which I had not moments ago left.

“Well this is an ironic place for a fight”, I said with a smirk as I approached to two. “May I please have the honor of knowing your name Miss?”

“Cheerilee, I am Miss Cheerilee and I want an immediate apology to Diamond Tiara from you right now Callidus Gears.”
“It is a pleasure to meet you Miss Cheerilee and I must say your mane looks absolute amazing, it compliments your eyes rather nicely.”

“Guards if one of you would please tell him to apologize? He made one of my students, Diamond Tiara, to cry,”

The guard closets to me was about to answer when I quickly intruded him.

“I’m sorry but I have no intentions of apologizing to the filly that I insulted. Before you argue about it being unmoral I have many reasons not to do so, first if I were to apologize I regret to inform you I will not mean a single word I say. Next, I was the one that was first insulted and I feel as though I am the one that deserves to get an apology from my attempted bully. Lastly, every word I said was true, she really is useless, I am merely pointing out a fact that she may or may not accept as the truth that it is.”

Cheerilee just looked over my shoulders in something akin to shock. This scene feels familiar… I look in my goggles mirrors. And buck my life cause it the princess! With my mom. With 24 other guards. What do you know the universe decided to throw me a party! Thanks bucking universe. Just bucking great! Remind me to tell you I love you when I rip your mother bucking throat out universe! Cause I bucking CARE SO MUCH ABOUT YOU!

Glade I got that out of my system.

I am having a… weird day. I want to call it a bad one but at this point I don’t know, nor care about doing anything other than going to sleep. Preferable in the 4 star hotel room we rented. Oh right we were going to watch the equestrian games. There goes my once in a lifetime chance to watch the opening ceremony.

“Hello princess, mother. I trust the chat went well.”

“Callidus, what were you doing”, said my mother with a concerned expression.

“I was simply civilly denying to apologize to a filly who pitifully attempted to insult me.”

“I take it you decided to tell her your own opinions on herself?”

“No, I simply expressing my own opinions on the topic of cutie-marks.”

“Cutie-marks eh? That seems like something a bit too… normal for you.”

I looked at the teacher who was still gaping opened mouthed at the princesses, suddenly she seemed to come to her sense addressing her class in an excited voice.

“Foals behave yourself in front of the princess. Get into order like we talked about in the class.”

Celestia smiled, “Callidus would you like to come into the castle with me and your mother for a second we would like to talk to you about a few things.”

Because I have so much of a bucking chose don’t I? I hate it when ponies simply say things in the form of a question when it is clear almost instantly for everypony else they have no chose. Oh well appearance is important I guess. And I should remember that bit of wisdom to at times.

“Of course let us leave immediately, I have no reason to delay anything of importance.”

She smiled and turned her back to me and her mother walking toward the castle.

My mother stopped smiling at me immediately. “Callidus, no more books for a week.”

“That seems a little cruel could I suggest changing it to 3 days? I understand that I shouldn’t be rude to other ponies so it seems a little unreasonable to take literature of all things away from me. I mean how about you ground me from hanging around with my friends I read that happens to be a very affective punishment for colts 16 and younger.”

“One week. And you have no friends.”

It was worth a shot can you blame me? Wait, why am I thinking to myself as if I was addressing somepony that was reading my mind? Which of course is ludicrous, mind reading is illegal with a 50 years sentence, so I really don’t know why I’m doing it.
Who cares!

I try not to grin as I follow the princess to the castle.


“Guards leave us for a moment.”

“Yes princess Celestia”

I was sitting on a comfortable cushioned chair enjoying the beautiful sunset from outside the large window. The sky was taking a beautiful shade of pink, and the clouds were lit up in a harvest orange.

“Callidus I and your mother have been talking a bit about your education and we were unable to provide a compromise. So we decided to let you decided which you prefer seeing as this is your future and deserve a choice. I am willing to apprentice you to a close friend of mine to learn from. You would be given an apartment with him here in Canterlot. And the education and everything else would be free. Or you can go back home with your mother.”

Mother.

Why can’t the decision be easy? My dreams of being successful. All my hopes of leaving the farm to something great. To be important, like my father. And I can have that. Right now all I have to say is that I would like to further my education here in Canterlot and I could more successful than I ever had hoped. It was the smart chose. There shouldn’t have to be any decision over this. I looked in my mother pleading eyes. Asking, no begging me not to leave her like my father. To not leave her by herself on the farm.

Why did the smart chose feel so wrong?

Author's Note:

Okay guys I am so sorry that this took a week to get out. I have been getting completely buried in homework recently and I still have a lot to do right now. Like I have 6 different assignments due tomorrow for 6 different classes and have pulled 3 all nighters this week. Not fun:ajbemused:. Other then me complaining how are you guys liking the story so far? Any suggestions or perhaps requests will be considered. So feel free to leave your thoughts!

Also I wrote this entire chapter while balancing a potato on my head. Why a potato? Because I didn't have any tomatoes. Duh.

But in all seriousness I actually did balance a potato on my head while I wrote this chapter. Tell me in the comments what you want me to balance on my head next time! Suggestions range inbetween nonlethal and in my fridge!

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment