• Published 2nd Nov 2014
  • 417 Views, 22 Comments

Metal Wings - Halfpaw



One will alway see the sky and wish to touch it. To soar like the thousands who do it everyday. Naive to the gift they have been blessed with. But what will one Earth pony be willing to do to fly like his heros?

  • ...
1
 22
 417

The Begining of the Flight

Where was I?

I was comfortable but… something was off. The sheets were thin and had a much rougher feel then I recalled them having. And the mattress was way softer then the straw one I was used waking in. My mind slow from the night’s sleep took a few seconds to give me an answer to my predicament, this wasn’t my bed.

This wasn’t my bed! The though hit me like a bag of bricks and I opened my eyes in retaliation, only to be blinded with the light of Celestia’s sun. I squinted trying to get a glance at my surroundings.

“Oh.” The pleasant feeling of relief spread through my tense body as I saw the trains roof inches away from my nuzzle. Afterwards the events that had lead up to my mother and I sleeping on a train set on a track to the Canterlot suddenly came back to me.

I heard the soothing sound of the train running gracefully up it tracks at neck breaking speeds as I lied warm under my thin blanket, unwilling to leave my place of comfort. I thought of the day my mother had entered my barn, holding the train tickets happily telling me about how I was going to love the Games.

The enthusiasm was lost on me as I gave her my fake smile and jumped happily up and down like any other foal my age might be seen doing at a sweets shop.

Then next day we packed up our bags and boarded the train.

Train. My eyes widened as I realized with my mom sleeping soundlessly below me now would be a perfect opportunity to observe the great machine at work.

I had always loved machines, I understood them. They were predictable and mostly dependable if made correctly. Much better than naive ponies who cracked under pressure and never manage to do anything to the complete utter perfection that should be expected. And they were so kind, never asking me what I was doing. Or telling me a young foal like myself should not be messing with such complex tools since I would hurt myself.

Sometimes adults really should shut up and mind their own business.

Like a machine does.

I was shocked I hadn’t received my cutie mark yet. I knew that some foals and fillies had to wait until they were 15 but at 13 years of age I was the only one in my class without a cutiemark. I mean I only have invented a crossbow with auto refilling charges, a revolutionary device using magnets that lets pony’s grip items better, and a robot that does my homework. Regardless I realize it is better to be without a cutiemark then to have a stupid one that shows I will never amount to somepony important in society.

I quietly moved the blanket away from my limp body as I made my way to the other side of the bed. This was much harder than it sounded, as I quickly discovered after bumping my head of the celling. The pain fades into gentle throbbing and I bitterly reminded myself to take the lower bunk on the way back. I then carefully placed my hooves on the lower rungs of the ladder.

After making my way down the ladder with as little noise as possible I slowly made my way to the desk hoping to not disturb my mother. Once there I used one of the many devices I had attached to the manticore hide glove I was wearing to magnetically pick up the artificial metal quill laying on it. Once properly adjusted to my liking I wrote a message to my mother detailing where I had gone and wishing her a good morning.

My leather boots muffled the clop of my hooves as I silently exited the room shutting the door as carefully as I could behind me.

Free at last.

I congratulated myself as I quickly looked over my surroundings. It was a beautifully decorated hallway with many paintings and vases, and I felt as though I was viewing some sort of art gallery instead of going to the engine room.

The decorative clock caches my eye. “Why that is the most expertly built clock I have seen in ages, I wonder if the owner would be willing to sell it.” I would have loved to study its inner mechanisms but I knew I must likely would never get the chance.

That reminds me I had best be going the longer I simply stand here and observer the less likely I am to get to the engine room with time to spare. I wonder if they will even let me in?

Wait a second! Why wouldn’t they let me in? I am an incredible inventor and extraordinarily gifted in mechanics (not to mention handsome), it should be an honor for me to study their train’s engine!

I practically facehoofed at my own stupidity as I continue on my walk to the engine room.


“What do you mean no!” I couldn’t believe what I was hearing, you just don’t tell me, Callidus Gears, no!

“I mean you cannot enter this room, it is too dangerous for young foals like yourself. You will get hurt if you don’t know what you’re doing”, stupidly replied the idiot stallion who got confused when they asked for someone to help run the train, and volunteered thinking they asked anypony here deranged?

“I’ll let you know that I know exactly what I am doing so.”

“Good day to you to Mr. Gears”, he interrupted slamming the door in my face.

After saying a few choice things about said stallions mother, that would my own mother had heard would have ended with me looked in my room for the summer with a bar of soap in my mouth, I stormed off as loudly as possible in my manticore leather boots.


Having made my way to my room I pulled out the skeleton key which I had made using a blueprint I had bought for a ridiculous low price from another idiot who didn’t realize its obvious value, and placed it in the key hole turning it. It made an odd skree sound the caused a shiver to go down my spine but otherwise preformed perfectly leaving me with both an open door, and sense of pride at my handy work.

Opening the door I hide my anger under a smile as I saw my beautiful mother getting ready for the trip. She turned to greet me having heard the door creak open.

“Hello Cal, are you ready for the Equestrian Games”, my mother asked in a voice so fair it was rivaled only by the princes of the day herself.

“Of course mother, I couldn’t be more excited if I tried.”

Author's Note:

Tell me what you think about this chapter? Then next few will be coming out soon so I can get this story rolling so to speak. I would also like to note on a more personal achievement level that this is my first fanfic, ever! Lets see how long it last shall we not?