• Published 25th Apr 2012
  • 1,309 Views, 14 Comments

A Shattered Heart - Valorage



When birds begin dying mysteriously, Fluttershy races to find a cure.

  • ...
3
 14
 1,309

The Cure

Chapter four: The cure

Fluttershy sat as Kakashi prepared a mixture of chemicals, and crushed them into a powder. He formed the powder into a pill, and waited. When the pill solidified, he walked over to Fluttershy.

“You’re going to have to give it to her. I’m not as good with her as you seem to be.” Kakashi stated. Fluttershy nodded and walked to Philomeena.

“Philomeena?” Fluttershy squeaked. Philomeena squawked, her curiosity spiked as Fluttershy looked away. “Would
you be able to take this pill? I mean…if that’s okay with you.” Philomeena flew over to Fluttershys hoof, and took the pill into its mouth. “Thank you, Philomeena!” Fluttershy looked at Philomeena, who landed on her back. She giggled, and the guards simply stood, unmoving. Philomeena flew back to Kakashi. Kakashi began monitoring her vital signs.

“I’m sorry, but I’m going to need to get a blood sample.” Kakashi said, holding a needle in his hoof. Philomeena held up a wing, as to tell him to wait. He watched as she took her wing, bit and held it back out to him. He noticed there was a very small space where blood was beginning to bead. “Well, that was a little unnecessary, don’t you think?” He asked the bird, who only squawked. Fluttershy began giggling. He drew the blood into a small vial, and began ejecting it onto a small plastic square. He placed the blood sample under a microscope and began to smile. “Fluttershy!” He shouted.

“What?” She squeaked.

“Come here!” Fluttershy obliged and began trotting towards the vet. “Look at this!” He pointed his hoof towards the
microscope. She looked into the microscope, and saw many strange balls. She also saw many strange nets, capturing the balls and squeezing them until they pop.

“What exactly am I looking at?” she asked.

“It worked! The cure worked!” He shouted ecstatically.

“It did?!”

“Yes! It did! Philomeena is now cured, although we need to get her back to Celestia before she catches it again.” With that, the guards began leaving. Philomeena flew next to Fluttershy, hugged her with her wings, and flew towards the guards. Fluttershy began blushing as she was reminded of Rainbow. Kakashi began creating large amounts of the pills, and gave them to Fluttershy. “Give one to each of your birds.” Fluttershy nodded and flew towards her cottage, excited to tell Rainbow the news. As her thoughts trailed back to Rainbow, she blushed again.

*****

Rainbow landed at Fluttershys cottage, and began thinking. ‘She has made me so happy, and I don’t like seeing her like this. Maybe…yeah. I think it’s time.’ She began to fly towards Rarity’s boutique. She landed in front of Rarity’s store, The Carousel Boutique. It was large, and very well decorated. As Rainbow entered, she was assaulted by a flourish of pinks and whites inside the building. It was large and contained various mannequins of ponies wearing various dresses and suits.

“Rarity? You here?” Rainbow asked.

“Over here!” An unknown pony yelled back, coming from Raritys sewing room.

“Hey Rarity, I need a favor.” Rainbow asked nervously.

“Well, out with it! What do you need?” Rarity asked.

“A r…” Rainbow trailed, obviously nervous.

“A what?” Rarity asked.

“A…a ring.” Rainbow said.

“Why would you need a ring unless…oh…” Rarity began. “Oh! This is wonderful!”

“Just…don’t tell anyone yet. I don’t want Fluttershy to find out.” Rainbow was smiling.

“Of course! Now, I will need some time to make the ring. How soon do you need it?”

“By tonight.” Rainbow said plainly.

“Perfect. Come pick it up before I close. It will be ready then.”

“Thank you, Rarity.” Rainbow trotted up and hugged her friend, then flew back to Fluttershys cottage.

*****

Rainbow arrived just as Fluttershy did.

“Hey, what did Kakashi say?” Rainbow asked. Fluttershy simply ran forward and hugged Rainbow, who stumbled back before returning the hug. She wrapped her wings around Fluttershy, who began to blush. “So,” Rainbow said, looking into Fluttershys eyes, “What did he say?”

“There’s a cure. And it works!” Fluttershy was shouting as loud as she could, which wasn’t really loud.

“That’s great! Let’s go cure your birds!” Rainbow exclaimed. She took some of the pills, and they began flying around, giving a pill to every bird. When they were done, Fluttershy had tears in her eyes. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” She yelled, wiping a tear from her eyes, “Everything is perfect.”

“Tears of joy?” Rainbow asked. Fluttershy nodded and leaned into Rainbow. Rainbow stretched her wing over Fluttershy, and they moved to the couch. They sat there for a minute or two before Fluttershys stomach started to growl. She giggled and moved to the kitchen. She began taking out large amounts of ingredients, pots and pans, and seasonings.

“I think we should celebrate!” Fluttershy exclaimed.

“Yeah,” Rainbow nodded, “But don’t tell Pinkie.” Fluttershy burst into laughter and shortly after, began cooking. Rainbow sat and watched as Fluttershy moved around the kitchen with ease, juggling multiple pans, things in the oven, and things in the fridge and freezer. Fluttershy looked up and saw Rainbow staring in her direction. She smiled and went back to cooking. After about forty minutes, she began putting everything into dishes and began putting the dishes into a basket. She grabbed a blanket and some punch and packed everything up. Rainbow smiled when she remembered the note. ‘Continue the picnic…’ When she realized the time, she bolted up.

“Ohmygosh! I’m late!” she shouted.

“Late for what?” Fluttershy asked, confused by Rainbow’s sudden change in mood.

“I’m so sorry, but I need to go. I promise, I will meet you at the clearing. I’m really sorry.” She said, bouncing into the air and flying towards town. Fluttershy smiled and began flying to the clearing, making sure she had her phoenix down in her hair.

*****

Rainbow flew as fast as she could to Rarity’s boutique. When she arrived, she saw Rarity waiting by the door. When she saw Rainbow, she opened the door. Rainbow flew in and flapped her wings, softening her landing.

“I’m so sorry; I was spending time with Fluttershy and…wow.” She said, seeing the ring.

“I know.” Rarity said.

“It’s…amazing. Thank you Rarity.” She hugged her friend, taking the small box, and hiding in her feathers.

“Now, if I may make a suggestion?” Rarity asked.

“Sure.” Rainbow responded.

“When you give her the ring, make sure it’s in a dark place with a large light source. You’ll see why, just do it. You won’t be disappointed.” Rarity said. Rainbow nodded and started flying towards the door.

“Thanks Rarity, really. You don’t know how much this means to me.” She said, opening the door.

“Oh, I’m sure it will mean more to her.” She winked, and Rainbow flew away, confused. She looked back at the box, and noticed a small note attached. She opened it, and started to read.

‘No doubt you noticed that the box is slightly larger than most jewelry boxes. Make sure you DO NOT under ANY circumstances open this box early. Only open it in A) A dark place lit by a large light source and B) Only when you plan on proposing. You won’t be disapointed. –Rarity.’

Rainbow rolled her eyes, and continued towards the clearing.
*****

When Rainbow arrived at the clearing, the blanket was laid out, and Fluttershy had just finished unpacking the food. Rainbow landed, and began to trot towards Fluttershy. The food had been laid out in a very appealing manner. Near the middle was a large salad, filled with various fruits, including apples and oranges. Near the salad were plates of pasta, coated in some kind of sauce. Inside the sauce were pieces of orange. Near the edges of the cloth were plates that had little silver covers on them.

“Hiding desert?” rainbow asked, laughing. Fluttershy giggled. “You know, if Applejack found out you used oranges, she would be mad.”

“Yes, but they’re your favorite, so I thought I would include them today.” Fluttershy said with a smile. Rainbows heart began to melt.

“Well, shall we?” She said, sitting down. Fluttershy had already portioned the food, so they simply began eating. Playful banter followed the meal, until Fluttershy revealed the desert. When she revealed it, Rainbows jaw dropped. Each plate had a soufflé and a crème brulee.

“Well, do you like it?” Fluttershy asked. Without warning, Rainbow got up and hugged Fluttershy. Fluttershy blushed, and returned the hug. When they separated, they sat back down and began to eat the deserts. After desert, they lay down, and Rainbow began thinking how she should propose.

“So,” she began, “How does it feel to know that your birds are cured?”

“It made me almost as happy as you make me.” Fluttershy responded. Rainbow blushed.

“Well, you know…I have been thinking, and what pony knows a lot about medicine, and chemicals and whatnot?” Rainbow asked.

In almost exact unison, they said “Zecora”. “How did I miss that?” Fluttershy asked.

“I don’t know, she hid her face well!” Rainbow exclaimed.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.”

“Fluttershy?” Rainbow asked, standing up.

“Yes Dashie?” Fluttershy followed.

“I love you. I really do. You have made me so happy these last four months, happier than I thought you would. I admit, I was skeptical at first, but you have shown me that…opening your heart is really worth the risk of getting it broken. And when I saw you crying that day…my heart shattered. I hate seeing you like that, and I hope I never have to again.” Fluttershy looked down, when Rainbow brought her face back up, locking eyes with her. “But if I do, I want to help you through it.” She got down onto one knee. She pulled the box out of her wing, and Fluttershy gasped. She dropped the box into her hoof and began to speak again. “Fluttershy, will you marry me?”

Fluttershy stood in stunned silence as what Rainbow said was being processed in her mind. When she came to her senses she was met with a slightly worried expression on Rainbows face. “Yes, of course I will Dashie!” Fluttershy shouted, trotting forward and hugging Rainbow. Rainbow returned the hug and they locked eyes again. ‘No interruptions this time’ Rainbow thought as she leaned closer. She kissed Fluttershy, and Fluttershy placed her hoof on Rainbows cheek. Just then, the box began to glow.

“Oh, yeah, I almost forgot!” Rainbow said, opening the box. When she did, a large pillar of light appeared out of the box. A small metal object shot into the air, and slowly descended onto the box. Multi colored light was beaming from all around, being directed into the rings jewel. The ring finally landed on top of the box. It was a small, multi colored version of Fluttershys cutie mark surrounded by gold and silver trim. “She wasn’t kidding about the light show…” Rainbow said.

“It’s…beautiful. I love it.” Fluttershy said. Rainbow picked it up in her hoof, and placed it onto Fluttershys hoof. It fit like a glove. Rainbow lay back down, followed shortly by Fluttershy, Rainbow pulled Fluttershy closer, causing her to blush. As they gazed into the night sky, Rainbow began talking.

“You know, this is the exact spot where we began going out, and now it’s also the spot where we got engaged. Maybe we will sleep here on our wedding night too!” Rainbow said, giggling. Fluttershy blushed. Almost as If Luna herself was happy for them, a meteor shower began. Fluttershy turned and began drifting to sleep.

“I love you, Dashie.” She said as she was nearing the edge of sleep.

“I love you to, Flutters.” Rainbow said, falling asleep, foreleg in foreleg with her fiancé.
*****
FIN

Comments ( 12 )

Really cute story. I found no problems grammar or spelling if you were worried about it. I liked characterizations of RD and Flutters, feels really genuine to the. show. I really liked this one. Hope to see more in this series. :pinkiehappy:

When I am on a computer and not my phone, I'll send you the full list of errors I found. Overall though, a very nice concept. :rainbowkiss:

497450
Glad you enjoyed it! I really wanted to get the overall feel that this really affected Fluttershy, did that come through in the story?

497482
Grammatical errors please and thank you :P Glad you liked it

499531 It came through great. You really put her through a tough time. Good thing she had Rainbow with her.:pinkiehappy: Loved this fic!

501407
500073
UMADBRO *Trollface*

501823 YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MAD I AM. FANFICTION IS SRS BSNS!!!!1111one :flutterrage:

501964
Lol! The only reason i used that name is because i couldn't think of a name by myself, and i have been watching naruto recently. :fluttershyouch:

499704
Glad to hear it! :yay:

513616 Personally and flutterdash is more beutiful than any other shipping and i hope we see a wedding fic :pinkiehappy:

515903
No promises, but keep your eyes peeled :)

Great story! <3 I love flutterdash storys i think there the best. :heart:

523224
Glad you enjoyed it! :D

Login or register to comment