• Published 25th Apr 2012
  • 1,309 Views, 14 Comments

A Shattered Heart - Valorage



When birds begin dying mysteriously, Fluttershy races to find a cure.

  • ...
3
 14
 1,309

The Virus

Chapter Two: The Virus

Fluttershy woke up, hoping to be met by Rainbows gaze. Instead, she was met with a note.

“Sorry about leaving. There’s a big storm in a few days and the weather team needed my help getting all the clouds to Cloudsdale for rainwater. See you later tonight. –Rainbow Dash”

Fluttershy sighed, then flew downstairs. She checked her birds. She sighed again, this time in relief, as none of them have died from the virus. She made herself a quick breakfast, a daisy sandwich, and flew around feeding her animals. She fed the remaining birds, moving them to separate rooms in her house in order to keep the virus from spreading. She fed the raccoons, her flamingo, and ended with Angel Bunny. He simply looked at fluttershy with a worried expression.

“Angel,” Fluttershy sighed, “Don’t worry, it’s…just a phase. It will pass. Once my birds are cured, I mean. Just…don’t worry about me, okay? I’ll be fine, I have Rainbow to cheer me up…” She trailed, and Angel was growing impatient. He tapped Fluttershy on the foreleg, and looked at her, his worried expression not changing. “It’s sweet that you’re worried, but you don’t need to be! I’m fine! Really!” Angel bunny face pawed and Fluttershy flew away.

*****

“Hey, Rainbow dash!” an unseen pony shouted.

“What?” Rainbow turned around, noticing the pony.

“What are you doing up? It’s early, even by your standards.” Twilight Sparkle giggled.

“Hah Hah. Very funny.” Rainbow said with a blank expression.

“What’s gotten into you?” Twilight asked.

“I don’t want to talk about it. What’s up?”

“Well,” Twilight began, “Pinkie and I need to ask you some questions. Would you be able to come down to sugar cube corner later today?”

“I’ll try to, but I might be busy.” was Rainbow’s only reply.

“Rainbow…What’s wrong? You’re not being yourself. Please…tell me.” Twilight asked, her lighthearted tone becoming serious, almost scary.

“Look,” Rainbow barked, “I don’t want to talk about it.” With that, Rainbow flew back to her home.

******

Fluttershy walked up to door to the animal clinic. It was a simple wooden building, not decorated or in a tree. It was a surprise Rarity hadn’t noticed the simple building and decorated it. Fluttershy knocked on the door with her hoof, and waited. Soon after, Kakashi opened the door.

“Hey Fluttershy, what brings you here?” he said, obviously tired.

“W-w-well, I was going home…and Rainbow Dash got this bottle of pills from a mysterious pony and…”

“Can I see these pills?” Kakashi asked, cutting Fluttershy off. Fluttershy squeaked and handed the bottle to Kakashi.

“Well, thank you for bringing these to me,” he said, looking over the pills, “I’ll have to do some research on these, but in the meantime, come in and I’ll tell you all I have found out.” Fluttershy nodded, and walked in.

The clinic was large, and open. It had a few chairs, a reception desk, and a path into the back. As they walked into the back, Fluttershy looked around into the different rooms. Most were closed, and some were open and filled with birds. A tear began to form in her eye as she shook her head. They made it to Kakashis office. It was a small office, filled with a hospital bed, a desk with some chairs, some charts and clipboards, and a framed picture behind his desk. It was his graduation certificate, saying he was a certified vet. Kakashi was pointing his hoof towards a chair, and Fluttershy sat.

“Ok. The virus is highly contagious in its final stages, and from what I have seen, almost undetectable in its early stages. The B-Virus…”

“The B-Virus?” Fluttershy interrupted. “Isn’t that a silly name?”

“Well, what would you call it?” Kakashi asked.

“What about bird flu?” Fluttershy responded.

“I thought about it, but B-Virus has a better ring to it.” Kakashi said, almost boastful.

“Okay then, please continue.” Fluttershy said.

“Anyway, The B-Virus origin is still unknown. The virus spreads through a cough. The virus wells in the birds lungs, and expels itself when the bird dies. At the moment, it doesn’t affect ponies, but it’s…adapting. We need to get this under control…or I fear the worst could happen…” Kakashi trailed. Fluttershy looked at him, worried, and he was knocked back to his senses. “But that might not happen. Because of these.” He held up the bottle of red and green pills. “I’m not sure, but I will do my research, and when I get some new info, I’ll pass it on.” Fluttershy nodded and walked towards the door. “Oh, and Fluttershy?”

“Yes, Kakashi?” Fluttershy responded, stopping at the door.

“Go relax, spend some time with Rainbow, and just get all of this out of your head. Let me worry about it, alright?” Fluttershy nodded, but Kakashi put a hoof on her shoulder. “I’m serious. I know how stuff like this affects you. Remember the incident with Celestia’s phoenix?” Fluttershy nodded again, now paying much more attention. “Just…forget about it for a while, alright?” Fluttershy nodded, and left the clinic.

*****

Taking heed of Kakashis suggestion, she went to Rainbows cloud home. As she landed, she missed the cloud, and landed in one of the many pools of rainbow colored liquid. She chuckled and wiped her hooves on the clouds, creating a rainbow smear. She looked up and saw the rather large home. It was a very vibrant white, with rainbow liquid trailing down multiple clouds, ending in shallow pools of the liquid. Fluttershy knocked on the door and rainbow almost immediately answered.

“Hey Fluttershy, what brings you here?” Rainbow asked, smiling.

“Well, I was just wondering if you wanted to hang out…” Fluttershy trailed as Rainbow walked forward, closing her door.

“Sure, what do you want to do?” Rainbow asked, enthusiastic.

“Well, I was thinking we could go on a picnic…” Fluttershy squeaked, expecting a no.

“That sounds fun!” Rainbow shouted.

“We will have to go back to the cottage to get all the supplies.” Fluttershy said, starting to fly towards her cottage. Rainbow kept pace with Fluttershy and smiled. Rainbow was always a more athletic pony, but over the months, she got used and started to enjoy Fluttershys activities. Picnics, walks, and the like. She also learned to go slower when flying with Fluttershy.

*****

After some flying, they arrived at the cottage, Fluttershy having a big grin on her face. Rainbow was smiling as well, when she thought that something was…off…about the cottage. Nothing was noticeable, but something felt wrong to Rainbow.

“Do you feel that?” Rainbow asked.

“Feel what?” Fluttershy responded.

“Get behind me.” Rainbow said, looking serious and worried. Fluttershy nodded as they entered the cottage. Rainbow immediately got more jumpy as the door to the cottage was already open when they arrived. They searched the downstairs, and after finding nothing, snuck upstairs.

*Thud*

Fluttershy jumped at the sound, and Rainbow immediately started hovering. She flew up the stairs, and looked for the source of the sound

*Slam*

Fluttershy was obviously getting nervous, and very worried, but Rainbow kept her cool and was getting closer to the source of the sound.

*Shhhhhing*

It was obviously metal on metal, and Fluttershy rushed upstairs and was standing in front of her bedroom door. She was looking at Rainbow worry clearly etched on her face. Rainbow slowly opened the door and looked at the disaster that was encased in the bedroom.

It was much messier than usual, with clothes strewn all over the room, drawers opened and rifled through, closet opened and searched, cabinets hanging open, and the window wide open.

“Fluttershy, make sure everything is here. I’m going to see if they left a note or anything. Okay?” Rainbow was clearly in charge, and Fluttershy made no objection. She nodded and started sorting her things. Rainbow was searching the house, looking for any hints at who could have done this. There was no trace. She flew upstairs to Fluttershys room, where it was very well organized. “How do you do that, Fluttershy?”

“Did you find anything?” Fluttershy asked, smiling.

“No, are you missing anything?”

“Nope it’s all here. What could they have been looking for?” Fluttershy asked, putting a hoof to her chin. Rainbow was deep in thought before she spoke up.

“I GOT IT!” She shouted, causing Fluttershy to squeak in fear. “The pills! They must have been looking for the pills that one pony gave me! Where are they?”

“I gave them to Kakashi to take a look at.” She said. Rainbow sighed in relief. “Now, about that picnic…” Fluttershy trailed, smiling. Rainbow was trotting downstairs and Fluttershy followed. They grabbed some food and drinks, a blanket, and a basket. They flew out and towards the clearing in the Ever-Free forest.

*****

The noon sky lit the clearing with a warming light. The lake sparkled with the reflection of the sun, and the trees created a crescent around the lake. Fluttershy laid the blanket on a patch of grass near the lake. Rainbow smiled as she noticed the spot where she laid the blanket.

“That’s an interesting spot.” Rainbow laughed.

“Oh? And why is that?” Fluttershy responded, smiling.

“Well, it’s where we slept the night we started going out.” Rainbow was blushing. Fluttershy walked up and nuzzled
Rainbow, and she blushed harder. Fluttershy giggled, and Rainbow started walking towards the blanket. Fluttershy began unpacking the basket. Inside were two daisy sandwiches, hay fries, water, some punch, and a small box. She closed the basket before Rainbow saw the box.

“Wow, this looks amazing. Thanks, Fluttershy!” Rainbow said, her stomach growling. Fluttershy pushed a sandwich, some of the fries and some water towards Rainbow Dash. They ate for a while, then lay on the blanket, enjoying the silence. After five minutes, Fluttershy broke the silence.

“Rainbow?” Fluttershy asked.

“Yeah Fluttershy?” Rainbow responded.

“Do you think you would be able to help Applejack? She needs some help collecting the apples.”

“Sure!” She responded. Fluttershy smiled and flew to the basket, taking out the box and walking towards Rainbow.

“What’s in the box?” Rainbow asked, remembering the last time Fluttershy gave her a “present.” Fluttershy simply opened the box to reveal rows of chocolate candies and at first Rainbow looked at them hungrily, and then she noticed they spelled a message.

‘I love you, Rainbow.’

“I love you too, Fluttershy.” Rainbow said, pulling Fluttershy close for an embrace. Fluttershy blushed, and looked at Rainbow. They locked eyes, and leaned closer.

“OH MY GOSH HI!!!!! HOW ARE YOU? What are you doing out here? OOO having a picnic? I LOVE picnic’s! There so much fun! Did you have some good food? Good food is a good part of any good picnic! Did you have any chimmicherry’s?” Pinkie pie shouted ecstatically. Rainbow smiled and looked at Pinkie, breaking eye contact with Fluttershy.

“Hey pinkie, what’s up?” Rainbow asked, taking one of the chocolates.

“U-um…hi Pinkie…” Fluttershy looked at Rainbow, who only turned and looked apologetic and thankful. Fluttershy smiled, and turned to face Pinkie.

“I was just wondering why you didn’t show up so we could ask you some questions, but I think I know why. I’ll leave you two alone. BYE!!!!” Pinkie shouted as she bounced away.

“Fillies and gentlecolts,” rainbow started, sounding like an announcer at a race, “Our next act! Pinkie the Random!” Fluttershy started laughing, followed shortly by Rainbow Dash. Rainbow lay down, followed by Fluttershy, using Rainbows foreleg as a pillow. A small grin crept onto Rainbows face as she fell asleep. After Rainbow dash was asleep, Fluttershy was about to drift into dreamland, when Ditzy Doo came rocketing through the Ever-free forest.

“Fluttershy!” Ditzy shouted.

“U-um, h-hi d-d-Derpy…” Fluttershy squeaked.

“Kakashi is looking for you! He said he found out some new info about…what was it…the bird thingy?” Derpy was lost in thought when Fluttershy stood up.

“Where is he?” She asked.

“Oh, He’s over at the animal clinic.” Derpy flapped her wings to stay in a hover.

“Thank you, Derpy. Oh, do you have some parchment and a quill I could borrow? I mean…if that’s okay with you…” Fluttershy asked, looking at the ground. Derpy smiled and gave Fluttershy a roll of parchment and a quill.

*****
END OF CHAPTER TWO