• Published 16th Oct 2014
  • 28,217 Views, 3,143 Comments

The Technological Technicolor Technomare - Tatsurou



The story of Rainbow Dash, as raised by Tony Stark.

  • ...
59
 3,143
 28,217

Government Headaches

Nick Fury leaned back in his chair as he stared across the table at Tony Stark. "Let me see if I've got everything straight. Less than a week ago, a tiny alien-"

"Pony," Tony corrected.

Nick stared at him for a time. "...appeared in your lab from some sort of..."

"Dimensional anomaly," Tony supplied.

"And imprinted on you as her father," Nick finished the first part of his assessment. "Since then, she has the Hulk playing...Nanny for her? And then there's that...thing in the bay?"

"You mean Zuki?" Tony asked. "That's what Rainbow's been calling it."

Shortly after Hulk had dedicated himself to being Rainbow Dash's nanny and bodyguard, he had proclaimed that Rainbow needed a puppy to walk and care for, to teach her responsibility. The reptilian dinosaur-like creature he had dragged back the next day was a puppy only by virtue of the fact that all scans showed it to still be an infant. Scans also revealed it to have undergone a great deal of radiation-based mutation, and having a store of radioactive energy inside its body. While it had struggled a great deal when it first arrived, the first time it had snapped at Rainbow, Hulk had grabbed it by the scruff of its neck, lifted it into the air, and roared in its face. It had since been very puppyish with Hulk and Rainbow.

As a result, a common sight in the city nowadays was Hulk dressed as Mrs. Doubtfire - complete with dress, wig, a pair of beach balls for cleavage, and a pair of coke bottles wrapped in a wire coat hanger hanging around his neck - side by side with Zuki, with Rainbow Dash sitting happily on Zuki's head holding the 'puppy's' leash. This - along with the fact that Hulk stopped every so often on the walk to entertain Rainbow and Zuki by attempting to perform Robin Williams style stand-up.

This had greatly improved the Hulk's reputation for gentleness with the city populace, though said reports had also been what brought the situation to SHIELD's attention.

"So," Nick continued, "you've now got two aliens under your roof-"

"Actually, Zuki appears to be Terran, genetically," Tony interrupted again.

"And what sort of damage is that mutant wrecking on the ecosystem?" Fury demanded.

"Actually," Tony pointed out, "Hulk's managed to get it to behave itself. We just have to feed it its weight in fish in stages over the course of every three days."

Nick Fury could only blink. "Huh. That's a lot of fish."

Tony shrugged. "Compared to what I expected in terms of expenses, it's rather cheap, especially since its fine eating vat grown substitutes."

Nick decided not to pursue that line of inquiry anymore. "Alright. And you want me to do what, again?"

"I was hoping SHIELD could streamline the process of Rainbow getting American citizenship so that I could adopt her as my daughter," Tony explained anew.

Nick Fury could only stare at him. "...why?"

"Because she's not a pet," Tony replied simply.

"And what the hell is that supposed to mean?" Nick Fury demanded.

Tony sighed. "Look, I know she looks like a pet. Even though she talks, a lot of people are going to mistake her for an animal. But she has a lot more personality than that. She is a person, even if she is a pony. She's also a child, and very fragile. It's not enough that Hulk is determined to protect her. If that's all she has, anytime someone tries to snatch her - and you know they will - there's going to be horrendous amounts of collateral damage - not to mention what Hulk will actually do to whoever snatches her - every single time. How long can SHIELD deal with that? How long until some other military group tries to go after Hulk again, and we have the fallout from that sort of futile endeavor? Rainbow Dash needs legal protection as well, so that she'll be safe."

Nick thought for a time about all this. Hulk joining the Avengers had done a great deal for the goals of SHIELD. The idea that the quasi-military defense organization could be used to 'rehabilitate' those who were more dangerous than devilish had cleared a lot of red tape when it came to the more covert operations. The fact that Hulk was now even more gentle with all he was doing taking care of Rainbow Dash had been viewed by those in government oversight that SHIELD worked in that regard. Nick Fury was happy to have SHIELD take the credit for that...but to do that, he'd have to protect the situation developing here. "Alright, I can see what you mean about legal protection, but why you? Why is a dedicated bachelor determined to adopt somepony that just dropped into his lap?"

"Hulk lasted three seconds against her cuteness to become her nanny," Tony pointed out. "After that, I had to argue him out of a French Maid outfit and into the Mrs. Doubtfire look. Exactly how long do you think I lasted against her calling me 'Daddy' before I capitulated?"

"Then why don't you take care of it?" Nick Fury demanded. "You've got more than enough connections and resources to grease the wheels for her. Why me? Why SHIELD?"

"Because if I do it, it'll just be a rich guy buying what he wants out of the government," Tony argued. "If it's you, the government, SHIELD...then not only would people see her citizenship as more legitimate, certain groups would see it as the government deciding her well being was a matter of national security."

Nick smirked. "So you're playing games with public opinion for her sake, huh?" He chuckled. "Alright, I can see that. But why should I pin my reputation - and SHIELD's - on this kid?"

"Pwease?" an adorable voice begged from his side.

Nick Fury turned. Zuki stood there, looking up at him and managing on a reptilian face to give cute puppy-dog eyes. On its head, Rainbow sat there, holding the leash in her mouth as she also gave Nick Fury pleading puppy-dog eyes.

Nick cracked up laughing. "Good attempt, kid, but I'm immune to cute."

Rainbow pouted, crossing her forelegs over her barrel as she spat the leash out. "I not cute, I awesome! Nanny tell you, then Nanny talk you wound."

Nick paled at the mental image of Hulk taking over the negotiations, not so much out of fear of Hulk as from not wanting an up close look at Hulk cross-dressing...and the fear of lost face if he cracked up at Hulk's attempts to act the part. "Awesome, on the other hand, is always an effective negotiation tool," he said quickly. He reached out and ruffled Rainbow's mane. "I'll see what I can do, okay squirt?"

Rainbow squealed happily. "Yay! Tanks, Unca Nick!" Leaping forward, she hugged him around the neck, before settling back on Zuki's head to ride out of the room.

The entire time, Nick Fury did his best to keep a straight face. I am immune to cute...I am immune to cute... He repeated his mantra all the way out of the Stark industries building, all the way back to the SHIELD airship, and all the way to his soundproofed office. He even held it until he'd managed to turn off all recording devices.

Then, all unobserved, he squealed like a love-struck fangirl.