• Published 28th Sep 2014
  • 32,424 Views, 1,371 Comments

Luna's Return Trajectory - Stainless Steel Fox



Princess Luna has found herself on a very different moon after some strange force interfered with her banishment. She doesn't know what the metal objects that keep orbiting and sometimes landing there are, but she's going to find out.

  • ...
22
 1,371
 32,424

Radio Free Luna

“What is wrong?” Luna's eyes widened in surprise at the sudden outburst from the two astronauts.

Neil got himself under control. “Ah, sorry Luna, we just found out that your confession was broadcast to about half the planet.”

Luna frowned. “How is this possible? I understood that you were using your 'radio' farspeakers to talk to your fellow 'astronaut' in your orbital craft and your allies on Earth, but to so many others? It was cast broadly you say? How so, and why?”

“The first moon landing is kind of a big thing.” Neil couldn't really shrug in the multiple layers of an A7L space suit, but he sounded like he would if he could. “We're in two way communication with the Columbia and Mission Control, but they are also sending out our words and images to everyone who's got a television receiver, a device that displays moving pictures, something like those images you showed us.”

“And these devices are common enough that a great many humans have them?” Luna asked. Her eyes widened in realisation. “Oh my, I can see the advantages. You could send out news to an entire nation, or teach lessons, or even display entertainments...” She looked around. “But where is the device that collects the images?”

Her eyes lighted on the video camera that was still mounted on the Eagle's landing leg. “Aha! A lens, and that device Sir Edwin was holding had something similar. Now I see what you were doing, at first I thought it mayhap some ritual of thanksgiving for your safe landing, especially when Sir Edwin also used it during your commemoration service. You were carrying the image taking device around to get the widest possible view. Hmm... I would hazard that the lens collects light and throws it upon a screen inside, in the manner of a camera obscura, and that the screen somehow converts the image into some form suitable for carriage by radio light, as your speech is.”

Neil was reminded again that, for all her medieval speech patterns, Luna understood science far better than that would imply, and was one very smart pony. “That's right, more or less. It's called a video camera.”

Buzz put in his two bits (U.S, not Equestrian). “Uh, you can just call me, 'Buzz', everyone does. My camera just takes still pictures using a film treated with light sensitive chemicals. However, the problem is, everyone knows your full story.”

“That is only meet.” Luna replied, almost serenely. “I will not hide my past misdeeds. Instead I shall prove my change of heart and ask only, as you have said, to be judged on who I am now.”

“I said, I would, and I know Neil does. But I figure it's going to make things more complicated back home.”

Luna had the grace to look abashed. “I'm sorry, I had not thought on that.”

“Well, it can't be helped. All we can do is what we can do.” Neil put in.

Charlie's voice broke the silence that resulted. “Tranquility Base, Houston, you're right Buzz, Luna's little confession has raised at least as many questions as it's answered, and we need you to relay them, but you're really going to have to retire to the lander soon for your rest period. Surgeon and EECOM are both giving me dirty looks. You won't have time for much of a conversation afterwards before you have to launch. We're trying to figure out some sort of alternate comms, but all the gear on the ascent stage is mission critical.”

Neil relayed the message, and Luna's expression became one of deep thought. “My far-speaking spell relays only sound, and the translation spell converts it to understandable speech. I would need one of your devices to convert the sound... or mayhap not!”

She bounded away with an exclamation, and lowered her horn to an area of regolith as yet untouched. It fuzzed for a second, then became completely flat. A pebble, held in her horn glow, skittered across the surface, drawing out lines of symbols that had the look of equations in some odd notation. “'Tis possible I could duplicate your mode of far-speaking, using radio light.”

“I know you've been helpful setting up the ALESP, Luna,” Neil said, “but I don't think you know enough about our technology to build a radio transmitter.”

Luna looked up from the equations. “'Tis true, your 'electronics' is still a mystery to me, but the operations it performs seem clear enough. It receives and transmits radio light, and translates the meaning imposed on it from and to speech. A translation spell does the same things with sound, and light spells are one of the first things any unicorn learns after using her magic to move things. I couldst also adapt the light amplification spell I use for my telescope to detect the light of incoming messages...”

Her horn lit up, a brilliant ball of white light at the tip. Almost immediately it turned orange, then red, and finally faded out, guttering into the deepest red light like a dying star. “Let us first see if a light spell can produce the necessary colours.”

After a moment, both Buzz and Neil winced as a burst of static crackled in their headsets. Luna saw their reaction and nodded approvingly. “I surmise that was a successful test?”

“If you wanted to rattle our helmets, then yes.” Buzz growled.

“My apologies, since light attenuates fourfold as the distance doubles, I thought it better to err on the side of volume. The energy of each corpuscle of light is very low compared to the visible colours.”

“Your science sees light as a stream of particles then?” asked Neil.

Luna continued to inscribe lines of equations in the soil and some sort of circular diagram in the centre of her work area. “Indeed, though some natural philosophers claim it has wave-like properties. Though they can not demonstrate the medium it propagates through. Besides, it slows, not speeds up in a denser substance, lenses prove this. But I digress again, the corresponding light detection spells should be...”

Her horn glowed with a gentle blue aura, no point of light at the tip, and her face scrunched up adorably in an expression of concentration. Suddenly there was a flare in the aura, and she dropped back on her haunches, shaking her head to clear her derpy eyes. “Odds haystacks! I should remember the amplification factor is an exponential. Still, I could feel the brilliant light from the boxes you wear on your backs, and the device on your landing craft. It buzzed and flickered inside my horn...”

More symbols and a second circle, inscribed with different runes, appeared in the cleared regolith. It touched the first circle and a pattern of lines and symbols formed overlapping and interlinking the two. “By cross-linking the enchantments in a sympathetic balance... Aha, yes!”

She lowered her horn to the circles, and as she touched them, they lit up in lines of light, tracing out the complex pattern in a shimmering silver and blue aura, like a miniature aurora borealis. “Say something, anything.”

“What do you want me to say?” asked Neil, and heard a soft echo of his own voice. “Hey, that's...”

“Didst hear thy own voice echo back?” At his agreement she smiled broadly. “Then my surmise is correct! I removed that part of the spell that converts the thaumic pattern back to light, and instead fed it to a separate light spell, modified to echo that thaumic pattern, as well as matching the base light colour and amplitude.”

“You created a radio repeater? Out of lines of light? How can some drawings on the ground transmit and receive radio?” Neil asked, still slightly stunned.

“When creating a new spell, or modifying an existing one, 'tis common practice to craft it as an arithmantic ritual diagram, rather than to convert the spell matrix into something a horn can cast directly. Far simpler to modify and test, as the caster need only provide power, and not form the matrix within her horn. Do you not create testing versions of your devices before the real thing?”

“Yes, but to create something that quickly, especially when you only just learned about radio...”

“'Twas no great feat.” Luna said, though her pleased smile showed she was glad of the compliment. “The conjuration of light in particular is an aspect of my cutie mark, and I have some considerable experience and skill in such things. Though part of it is that both spells are apprentice level charms, and frequently used as examples to teach beginner level arithmancy and artificing. The translation spell is far more complex, but needs only the smallest modification...”

As she spoke, a larger and far more complex circular diagram appeared, abutting the other two, though the sections that actually touched them were blank. More lines of equations appeared in the dirt, as Luna mumbled to herself. Finally she gave a snort of frustration.

“It should be simplicity itself to replace the runic pattern for sound with light, but the equations do not transform so easily. I believed I could represent the changing energy potentials of the particles as if they were waves of sound impacting on a surface, but there is some aspect I'm missing.”

Both astronauts racked their brains as Charlie at Capcom said, “We're almost out of time. Even if everybody here wants to see what happens next, you're going to have to retreat to the lander and re-pressurise. We still don't have an alternative method of communication. Doctor Sagan's on his way in, but he's not going to get here in time.”

It was Buzz who suddenly had an idea. “Luna, sound waves are vibrations in line with their direction of travel, yes?”

“Indeed, how else could they agitate the air and propagate themselves? But when I try to describe the potentials of light in that manner, the aritmantic equations do not resolve! How can there be vibration without a medium?”

Neil picked up on his companion's idea. “Earth science sees light as both particles and waves, but the wave is transverse, like a ripple on the surface of water. Does that help?”

Luna's brow furrowed as she contemplated the idea. “But that would mean...”

The rock started scratching new lines in the dirt as new blocks of equations flowed out. “That changes the potential term as a function of time in a linear mode... which would match Glimmerlight's third axiom, indeed, yes, that explains it! It seems so obvious now! The light particles themselves form the medium and the wave propagating within it through their instantaneous condition!”

New symbols appeared in the blank sections of the large diagram, but Neil had thought of something else. “One other thing Luna. For your translation spell, does it matter whether the amplitude of a voice is directly imposed on the radio wave as a changing volume, or as a varying frequency around the base? Our radios work the second way.”

Luna thought for a moment. “The manner of encoding should not matter greatly. The translation spell is designed to extract meaning from a symbol pattern, the nature of that symbol pattern matters not. All that was needed was a way of delivering the symbol pattern to the spell.”

The linking pattern between the two smaller circles changed, and the final runes were drawn. Luna pressed her hoof into a space in the centre of the diagram, creating a crescent moon which formed the basis of her cutie mark pattern. She lowered her horn to the diagram and charged it with magic. Then she cleared her throat and spoke. “Doth this work?”

Both astronauts heard a slight double echo as the words came both through their helmets and their 'Snoopy Dog' headsets, though that version wasn't as loud.

“Yes. That's impressive!” Neil exclaimed. “Though you're quieter by radio.”

Luna's horn glowed and their helmets made the soft popping sound of the far-speaking enchantment vanishing. A few small crystals formed from the surface of the regolith and glowed as runes formed on them. They replaced certain symbols in the diagram, and were shifted around as Luna spoke again, this time purely through their headsets.

“Is this better... now... now?”

At the last, the two astronauts voiced agreement, then three seconds later Charlie Duke answered. “Yes, ma'am, that's fine.”

Luna looked around, then glanced up at the sky. “And who might you be?”

“Charles Duke, ma'am, Capsule Communicator here at Houston, at least until my shift ends. It's my job to talk directly to the astronauts, pass on information and instructions.”

“I am pleased to make your acquaintance, your grace.” Luna replied.

“'Your grace?' Oh right, Duke is part of my name, not a title. America doesn't have nobility.”

“Considering my past experiences with the nobility, another excellent reason to go there.” Luna said dryly.

That actually got a chuckle from all three listeners. Charlie continued, “I'll be taking over talking to you, while Neil and Buzz take a rest. Is that okay?”

“Of course! I would not wish to keep them from their repose, and I am glad to have the chance to talk. I apologise for the problems I've caused.”

“Problems are there to be solved. Neil, Buzz, you are clear to return to the lander for your rest period.”

“Will we be doing a second EVA before takeoff?”

“That's a negative. EECOM isn't willing to okay your external gear for a second EVA, especially as you've run it beyond the original mission plan. Dump the gear as planned.”

“Understood Houston.” Neil replied, and stepped up to Luna, holding out a gloved hand again. “We won't be able to come back out to see you again, we need to dump our external life support systems to save weight for the ascent, so I just wanted to say, it's been a privilege and a pleasure.”

Luna raised her own hoof to brush his palm. “For myself the same. At least we will be able to talk some more. Thank you again for offering your trust, and your friendship.”

Buzz made his own farewell, and the two of them trooped back towards the lander.

&&&

Worming their way back in through the surface hatch had been a chore, with Neil nearly breaking one of the switches off as he pulled himself up. They hauled up the pouches of lunar rock they'd collected with Luna's help on a cable grandiosely referred to as the Lunar Conveyor System. It snagged for a second on the edge of the 'front porch', the flat area on the hull between the surface hatch and the ladder. Then it freed itself as a blue glow of Luna's horn pulled it away.

They transferred to lunar module life support connections and divested themselves of all unnecessary equipment, including the PLSS backpacks and lunar overshoes, dumping them out of the hatch to lighten the ship for ascent. Once the hatch was buttoned up they repressurised the capsule. It smelt of gunpowder, and the newly released air was chill when they removed the 'fish bowl' inner helmets. Neither of them really noticed, they were still thinking about everything they'd just witnessed.

They signed off, leaving Capcom to continue talking to Luna, and switched their 'snoopy dog' headsets to standby. Neil spoke in slightly dazed tones. “Did all of that just happen?”

Buzz made a show of checking the air gauges and suit connectors. “Well, we weren't suffering from pressure sickness, so, yes. I understand what you mean, though, it does seem crazy when you think about it. Still, 'There are more things in heaven and earth...'.”

“Including blue alicorns, it looks like. I doubt the Bard was thinking of those when he wrote Hamlet.” Neil yawned, and settled himself down on the ascent engine cover opposite the main hatch. Buzz closed down the blinds that covered the two triangular windows either side of the hatch, blocking out the reflected sunlight, then sat down on the floor space in front of it.

“Never actually read it.” The Lunar Module pilot stifled a yawn of his own. “We did 'The Tempest' in high school. Hopefully this version of Prospero, though I guess Luna's more like Ariel, won't have such a hard time winning freedom.”

“Great, now I'm thinking of Forbidden Planet. Still, if Luna's supposed to have power over dreams, they should have had her on Altair IV. She'd probably have beat the Id Monster over the head with a battle axe.” They chuckled at the mental image, then Neil said, “I want to trust her, no I do trust her. But am I right to do so? It's more than just my neck at stake.”

“The way I see it, she's one of God's creatures, wherever she came from originally. This place is magnificent, but so desolate. Being stranded here for eight years without respite is surely punishment enough, if punishment were needed. She's admitted she did wrong, and wants to be forgiven, no, to make recompense. Isn't that all we really need to know?" Buzz reached up and patted his commander, and good friend on the shoulder. "Besides, it's not our call to make. Good night.”

“Wish it was. Good night.”

Sleep came poorly to both of them. The suits they wore were uncomfortable, and the liquid filled cooling garments they wore combined with the chill air made them feel cold. Between the noise of the environmental control system and the sunlight that leaked around the edges of the blinds, it was not easy to rest, even with the low gravity reducing the pressure on their backs from the hard surfaces.

After about twenty fruitless minutes of attempting to get to sleep, Neil connected back into the surface radio channel.

“... a common misconception. While all dragons hoard gems, many find things other than gold to collect. Gems fuel their magic, but a dragon's physical growth often relates to the value of its hoard.”

“Houston, Tranquility Base. Sorry to interrupt, but I need to ask Luna something.” Neil spoke, his words getting partially interrupted by the voice of Professor Carl Sagan, starting to ask another question.

“Say again Neil?” Charlie's voice came back.

“I need to ask Luna a question. Surgeon can probably confirm we're not getting to sleep here.” He paused, then continued. “Luna, you said your magical talent included dream related stuff. Would that include a sleep spell? We have pills that can do the same thing, but we can't use them because we have to be able to wake up immediately in case of emergency.”

There was a short pause, then Luna replied even as Charlie started to ask him what he thought he was doing, “Indeed such spells are within my purview, including allowing awakening immediately if needful. However, as I believe your friend is trying to say, that may not be a good idea. They work with equal efficacy on any creature in Equestria, but I am not sure if casting a spell directly on a being who has not lived in a magical field, especially a mind affecting one, would have side effects. While I am fairly certain no harm would result, it is not something I wish to test, especially upon a friend. Nevertheless, I may be able to find some other way of accomplishing the same end. What prevents you from sleeping? Surely thou art tired after thy travails?”

Neil replied, yawning as if for emphasis. “It's more the conditions. We're sleeping in our suits because it takes too long to de-kit, it's cold, and the noises and sunlight coming in even through the cover on the windows aren't helping.”

“Ha, then I may have a solution! The Restful Blanket spell. Cast upon the most tattered cloak, or even a pile of rocks, it makes it feel as if the sleeper is in a comfortable bed, and suppresses distracting sensations. Have used it often myself during my sojourn upon this satellite. And unlike a sleep spell, it does not affect the subject directly. Couldst cast it on thy suits for example.”

“That sounds promising. But would it still allow us to wake up if needed, and can you cast it from out there? And could it damage our suits?”

“It was developed for camping in the wilderness, so yes, a sufficient noise or disturbance will awake you, and fully alert. Normally I wouldst need touch your suits with my horn, but I hesitate to teleport into such a confined space. However, you left parts of your suits out here. They should still have sufficient connection to act as a path for the spell. As to harming your suits, nay, as it does not alter the target's substance. It is merely a tactile illusion, altering the way the object is perceived. I know those suits are more than mere costume, but I have handled your devices with my magic before, and they have not suffered any fault, have they?”

“No, they haven't. That seems like the answer, but I have to get the okay from above. Houston, Tranquility Base. Charlie? Have you been monitoring?”

The three second turnaround seemed much longer. “I read you Neil. It's going up the chain right now. I'm not sure whether you're nuts or right, or maybe both.”

“I wouldn't be asking if this wasn't operationally important. We need to be on top form during ascent. If Luna can assist us without risk to us or herself, it makes sense to take advantage of anything that can improve our chances of completing the mission. Apart from our friendship, Luna would hardly do something that might harm us and put her in a bad light... Sorry Luna, but. It needed to be said.”

“I understand, and I agree. It is true my own best interests and my desire to assist a friend align in this.”

Charlie's voice came on the circuit again. “Roger. Wait one.”

After a moment it continued. “Okay, you've been given a provisional go ahead, Neil only. Surgeon will monitor your vitals and EECOM will be checking suit telemetry. If they see anything off nominal, the experiment stops right there. If everything seems good, Buzz can get it too.”

Outside on the lunar surface, Luna trotted over to the boxy PLSS packs. She flipped the one Neil had used to expose the fittings. “I stand ready. You mentioned some 'liquid cooling garment' when describing your suit's functions. Wouldst hazard that is closest to the skin? And that it was sustained by thy saddlebag... backpack.”

“That's correct Luna.”

Luna nodded to herself, and dipped her horn to touch the fitting that, while now dry, showed traces of water streaking on it. She reached out, felt its one time connection to the space suit of which it was a part and cast a spell along it.

Neil suddenly felt far more comfortable, as if wrapped in warm blankets and resting on the finest feather mattress, even though he could see he was still in his suit. Even the thumping of the life support pumps seemed muted, and the leaking light didn't seem to matter any more. He gave a sigh of relief and settled down. “Ohhh... that's much better.”

He was woken a few moments later by Charlie's voice. “Tranquility Base, Houston! Just checking you can be woken up, Surgeon said you went out like a light!”

“I could have told you that.” Buzz quipped. “He snores like an F-1 engine.”

“Well I'm up. What's the verdict?” He still felt the comfort of the spell, but had no difficulty focusing on the conversation.

“Whatever Luna did, no-one could see any change in the suit telemetry. Except Surgeon. According to him your vitals showed a good sleep pattern, the best you've had since take-off. The Restful Blanket effect is approved for full use.”

“Looking forward to it...” Buzz exclaimed, then felt the sensation of being in a comfortable bed himself, while still in his suit. “Whoa, that feels odd. Good, but odd. Thanks Luna.”

“Yes, this is just what we needed.” Neil settled back down again.

“You are most welcome. I look forward to hearing from you on the morrow.” Luna replied, looking up at the covered windows from outside.

“Okay. Houston, we're going to standby so you can continue talking to Luna. This is Tranquility Base, hopefully living up to its name, signing off. Out.”

&&&

They were awoken from their rest four hours later by a new voice, one they both recognised as Ron Evans, the scheduled Capsule Communicator for their ascent program. “Tranquility Base, Houston. Are you up and at 'em yet?”.

Neil grunted and wiped his eyes with an un-gloved hand as he rose. “Well, we're up at least.”

“I feel better than expected.” Buzz added, working his shoulders carefully in the cramped space. “That spell of Luna's did a job of work.”

Neil reached over and raised the blinds on the Lunar Module windows. He blinked as the sunlight flooded in, and quipped, “And it's another beautiful sunny morning here on the sea of Tranquility!”

Buzz chuckled. “Technically, it's the same one as yesterday. How are we coming in, Ron?”

“We're getting your signals loud and clear. Charlie finally signed off, they practically had to drag him away from the mike.”

Another voice spoke, without the delay. “Sir Neil, Sir 'Buzz', I hope you slept well?”

“We're fine Luna.” Neil yawned, more out of reflex than need, as he realised he felt great, still wrapped in comfortable blankets. “That spell of yours is the business. But you can cancel it now.”

“I understand.” The sensation vanished, but the feeling of being ready for anything stayed. “Have they kept you talking all this time?”

“Oh yes, it's been wonderful! I talked to your Professor Sagan and many others. I even have some gifts for you to take along with you.”

“But we can't EVA to collect anything. Even cycling pressure cabin to open the hatch will drop our air reserve to critical.”

“It's alright Neil, we have a revised procedure for this.” Capcom interjected. “Turns out there are some things the science types down here really want. Get yourselves squared away and we'll run you both through it.”

As the two astronauts did their various ablutions and ate their second meal on the moon, Ron continued. “Luna has placed a number of items on the front porch. She'll put an air containment bubble over it, enclosing the hatch. You will both seal up and hook up to the internal cabin pressure connectors, but she's assured us she can maintain cabin pressure inside the bubble while she pushes the items through the open hatch.”

Neil thought about it. “If she loses containment... No, I see, the pressure differential will force the hatch shut before we lose too much cabin pressure. And if the pressure doesn't match, there's no way that hatch will open in the first place.”

Buzz nodded in agreement. The surface hatch was designed to open inwards, and even though the normal pressure inside the module was only four pounds per square inch, on a hatch several feet square, that ran to over a thousand pounds.

The two of them finished their preparations and got suited up. Neil, as Mission Commander was assigned to open the hatch.

“The bubble is in place.” Luna's voice came over their headsets. “I believe there is sufficient air pressure within.”

Neil reached out and turned the locking handle. The hatch swung open freely, and he could see out onto the lunar surface protected by only his inner 'fish bowl' helmet. Luna was visible, her horn glow visible even in the lunar sunlight. However, she now wore some sort of diadem that rested beneath her horn, a v shaped band of silvery metal with a smooth oval gemstone at its point.

He had no chance to ask about her new jewellery before she spoke. “Your scientists wish to study me, both out of sheer curiosity and to see that I would not bring some unknown disease to your world. Here are the samples they requested.”

Several crystal vials, each about the size of a large test tube, floated inside the hatch. One contained a lock of light blue hair, another some parings of hoof, and another a pair of blue feathers. The last one had a volume of crimson liquid inside; occasional dim sparkles seemed to flicker within it.

Neil carefully plucked them out of the air, the glow around each one fading as he got hold of it. He turned to the section of wall where the sample pouches were stowed, and secured them carefully in the webbing.

“Is that blood?” Buzz asked as he saw the final sample.

“Indeed.” Luna's voice came across the radio. “According to your physicians, it is vital to their studies. It will remain fresh, I have placed a minor preservation charm upon each vial that should last at least a week.”

“I'm more interested in how you took it. I didn't see any hypodermic needles out there.”

“I was told of them, a typically ingenious human idea, but having never seen one, I would struggle to manifest it, nor do I believe un-enchanted steel would pierce my hide. I simply cut my fetlock with my horn and collected the blood that flowed out with my magic.”

That got a wince from both astronauts, and Neil looked out through the open hatch again. Now he'd been told, he could see a slight scar across her right foreleg which hadn't been there when he'd shaken it. “That sounds painful.”

“'Tis minor, and soon healed. The same vitality that endows alicorns with un-aging bodies and allows me to survive unaided upon the surface of this moon also heals even the gravest injuries with great speed. It will be gone within the day.”

Some other objects started floating in, surrounded by the familiar blue aura. “I also crafted some small items to demonstrate my powers to the sceptical when you return.”

The first object was a v-shaped band similar to the one Luna wore. It was made of a silvery metal with a number of small gemstones along its length, and as well as the main gem, which was a deep blue and had silver symbols similar to the ones he'd seen her use in her prototype embedded in some fashion inside the gem.

“A radio transceiver, as you would call it. The main gem embodies the spells I developed earlier, though without the translator spell. I have stored enough energy within it for some weeks of continuous use. It will activate automatically when worn. To choose a 'channel' simply touch one of the smaller gems along the headband.”

The second object was a thick wrist band of the same silvery metal, cunningly fashioned with hinge joints and a clasp. A larger, faceted clear gemstone was embedded in it, clearly designed to be worn like a wristwatch. Once again, traceries of silver symbols were barely visible under the surface.

“A translator amulet. Once again, it activates when worn. The wearer will hear any language spoken as her own, and be able to respond in that language. It also shows it is active by the multicoloured glow the gem generates.” She paused for a moment. “That was not actually a requirement of the spell, but an addition one of the scientists requested. Some reference to a well known story.”

Both Buzz and Neil had read the 'Lensman' series as kids, and both got a chuckle out of it. Neil replied. “I'm sure you can get someone to read it to you.”

“That would be nice. Anyway, it should last several months without being re-empowered. The translation spell, while complex, uses little actual power.”

A neatly folded sheet of golden Kapton from their discarded cargo covers followed, with silver traceries written into its surface. “A Restful Blanket for them to experiment with. The idea of tactile illusions seems to fascinate people. It's a static effect, so it should last almost indefinitely, unlike the others.”

The final object was a silver disk, but not made of metal. It had numerous small clear gemstones embedded in it, along with the usual engraved symbols and a larger central gem. When Neil grasped it, his glove touched the central gem, and it glowed, almost causing him to drop it. A montage of solid three dimensional images started to appear over the disk, in a volume about as big as his head. They were pictures of Equestria, Luna, Celestia and other ponies. Touching the central gem again deactivated it.

“Your scientists were eager to see my visual illusions for themselves as well, and to know more of Equestria. So this illusion... projector I suppose you could call it, will accomplish both goals. I have loaded it with images from my memories, touching the large gem activates and deactivates it, while the smaller gems allow you to skip through the images. Once again it has power for a few weeks of operation.”

“Do your magic devices need regular recharging in Equestria?” asked Buzz.

“No, there the ambient thaumic field suffices to sustain most items. However, without it, I must needs provide the power myself.”

“How much power have you used?” Neil asked as he stared through the hatch at the alicorn. “I guess you made the vials and devices the same way you created the air bubble, from materials in the regolith. That must have taken a lot out of you.”

Luna looked up at him for a moment, then nodded. “'Tis true neither alchemy nor artificing is without cost. I have used all the power I had gathered over the last six lunar days, but if it leads to my rescue, it will be effort and energy well spent. Besides, it was wonderful to craft again, to have something to do! Fear not for me, I still have energy enough to survive.”

One more object floated into the capsule, a small ingot of silver metal no bigger than a small eraser, of a different hue to either the headband or the disk. “This cost me the most energy to produce, but it was needed to create the permanent runes. It is mithril, also known as moonsilver. I suspect your scientists will find its properties... interesting.”

Neil made sure the block of light metal was secured with the other items, and prepared to close the hatch. “I think they're going to find everything you made interesting. You may want to move back, we're going to take off soon. We won't be able to talk to you while we get set up, but I for one hope to see and speak to you again, on Earth.”

Buzz was already getting himself secured in the harness that substituted for a pilot's seat and running through a check list, but paused to speak. “I hope so too. Farewell, Luna.”

Neil sealed up the hatch and started securing himself alongside Buzz as he went through a list of Lunar Module consumables remaining in preparation for launch. Luna's air bubble had clearly worked perfectly, as they hadn't lost any pressure.

Back on mission, they ran through their preparations for launch. “Houston, Tranquility Base. The special packages are aboard. We're leaving behind an olive branch, our mission patch, and one alicorn who desperately wishes she was coming with us. How do you read our ascent consumables?”

“We check your read on BATT A and B at 24 volts. Ascent tanks at nominal pressure. We're getting a slight temperature rise in coolant pump A. Could you check that Neil?”

“It's probably local solar heating. Dogging valve 4A. Cycling pump. Check back?”

“Roger. Yeah, that seems to be working. Get ready for launch trajectory pad. Buzz.”

Buzz readied the sheet that would record the times and burns to be entered into the computer that would put them on course for rendezvous with the orbiting Columbia, currently on the other side of the moon. “Houston, Tranquility Base. Ready to copy. Over.”

Even after their experiences on the moon, they slipped back into their roles with smooth professionalism. When you were sitting on several thousand pounds of violently reactive hypergolic chemicals there wasn't any room for error. Soon enough, the chronometer ticked down to the calculated time.

While Buzz, as Lunar Module pilot had the flight controls, that still left Neil as capsule commander and Lord High Everything Else. He flicked off a cover and flipped a switch, triggering a dull thump. “Separation charges have fired! Inertial platform stable, we are go on ascent engine start on the mark! Three... Two... One”

“Throttling up! Mark! How's the separation?”

“We're coming up clean. Ascent rate 20 feet per second...” Neil took the chance to glance out of the capsule window at the ground below and saw the wave of dust and gases from their take-off hit the flag they'd planted, toppling it over. At the last minute it was caught in a barely visible blue glow and replanted just as it disappeared below the edge of the window.

“Thanks for that Luna!” At Buzz's puzzled query, he replied. “I'll explain later.”

He checked his board. “All instruments nominal. We're on track. Houston, we look good from up here.”

Luna's voice came back to them. “My pleasure. If my good wishes have any power, then a swift, safe voyage to you both. May harmony protect you...”

Confirming everything was copacetic and he had time to reply Neil responded. “Farewell, Luna. No, make that 'till we meet again'.”

“May you be safe and well. Goodbye.” Buzz made his own farewell.

As they rose to meet with the Columbia, both astronauts wondered what would happen to the person, no, the friend they'd left behind.

Author's Note:

Finally! I spent the last two months writing and rewriting this. Let's hope the wait was worth it. Now we can get onto the fun stuff. Yes, the chapter title is a tip of the hat to Robert Anson Heinlein's 'The Moon is Harsh Mistress'.

While I've tried to keep the environment and feel of the Lunar Capsule accurate, and extrapolate from the original timeline. I may have taken a few liberties with specific sequences, as I couldn't find the relevant ones in the Apollo 11 transcripts. They really did sleep in their suits, or rather, without Luna fail to sleep. I could have made more of their breakfast, but it wasn't relvant that they were eating freeze dried beef stew and cream of chicken soup.

Luna is informed by the version from Andrew Joshua Talon's exceptional and very funny fic 'Progress' a.k.a 'Luna vs the Microwave', with possibly a bit of influence from Ponder Stibbons, the creation of the late and sorely missed genius Terry Pratchett. In short, she's more than something of a geek. One deleted version of her even had her manifest an abacus to help with calculations on the magic radio design. Heaven help us when she finds out about slide rules.

My take is that arithmancy has the same relationship to magic that applied mathematics does to physics. It allows you to quantify and predict magical effects, and so design spells to create them.

Edit: Thank you to the eagle-eyed