• Published 28th Sep 2014
  • 32,418 Views, 1,371 Comments

Luna's Return Trajectory - Stainless Steel Fox



Princess Luna has found herself on a very different moon after some strange force interfered with her banishment. She doesn't know what the metal objects that keep orbiting and sometimes landing there are, but she's going to find out.

  • ...
22
 1,371
 32,418

The Menace from Earth Part 2

It was close to four hours, including a break for food before they were ready for their first EVA. Yankee Clipper, the Command Service Module, made another pass, and Dick radioed down his congratulations on the precise landing, able to see everything through the Command Module's built-in sextant telescope. Getting out through the hatch had been an exercise in frustration, even with Al providing a constant instructions, as it had been built just big enough to take an astronaut. At least they'd avoided breaking a switch, as happened on Apollo 11, though the hatch insulation looked a bit ragged where a corner of the PLSS had torn it.

Outside on the shelf, he pulled the deployment line for the Modular Equipment Storage Assembly, the fancy term for the fold out compartment carrying the colour video camera, and with some help from Al, deployed the Lunar Equipment Conveyor, the equally fancy name for a cable that would allow them to lift up things into the LM, and lower things out of it.

Luna emerged from the black hemisphere, which he could now see had a semi-circular doorway, like an igloo. She was carrying something slung across her back, but his main focus was on the LEC and the ladder. "I'm headed down the ladder."

Al Bean was filming him from the LM with a Hasselblad camera, and he lowered himself down the rungs carefully despite the low gravity. The new Cap Com, Edward Gibson informed him, "You're coming into the picture now. We can also see Luna, and that black half dome."

"It's some sort of shelter, though why it's black... Okay, down to the foot pad."

He made the last drop from the lowest rung of the ladder to the foot pad of the landing leg. "Whoopie! Man, that may have been a small one for Neil, but that's a long one for me."

"I'm going to step off the pad." He made the final step onto the surface of the moon, or rather the parking lot. "Hey, the footing's firm, it's practically asphalt! Even with Luna packing it down, I'd expected rammed earth... regolith to have cracked a bit under the LM pads, but it's solid... slightly slippy, though. I don't want to move too fast yet."

He moved slightly and into the direct sunlight. "Wow, that sun's bright, It's just like somebody shining a spotlight in your hand."

He quickly turned away, blinking, and took in the crater to the south and Luna to the west, who was bouncing up and dawn in a frantic little hoofy dance. "I can see Surveyor across the crater about 600 feet away, and I think Luna's about to explode."

He took a few more experimental steps towards her, and she bounded forward excitedly. "At last, Sir Pete, we meet face to face!"

For a moment he thought she was going to pounce like a cat, but she slowed herself short of him. Her wings were covered by what looked like a pair of oversized saddlbags made of silicon based beta cloth, the straps as well. He quickly realised they were cut down outer themal covers from Apollo 11's PLSS units. They looked adorable on her, as did the gold Kapton and wire coolie hat she wore, currently pushed back to allow her to look up at him, though it had holes for horn and ears, showing it was worn down normally.

"Hello Luna, it's good to see you too." He moved slightly so both of them would be side on in the view of the video camera. He wasn't confident enough yet to kneel down, but he bent at the knees and held his arms out and down. Despite her excitement, Luna really looked like she needed a hug. She hesitated for a moment, then shrugged off the saddlebags. She trotted forward more slowly and went up on her hind legs, and he swept her up, marvelling how light she was in lunar gravity.

He could see tears in her eyes, which trickled down and almost instantly evapourated off her fur in the vacuum. "Thank you... thank you so much..."

"You looked like you needed it." Holding her caused a sudden change in his perceptions of her as did her next words.

"Indeed," Her voice was quiet, clearly meant to be between the two of them. "While the chance to speak to people on Earth and listen to their voices is far more than I could have hoped for before Sir Neil and Sir Edwin found me, sometimes it doth feel unreal, like a fantasm created in my mind to ease my loneliness, one that could vanish like the stars with the dawn. I know it to be foolish, but to have a friend here, holding me, comforts me in a way a thousand voices can not."

Before, she'd been Luna, the friendly alien on the other end of a comm channel. Now she was a real person, one who's plight suddenly felt personal in a way it hadn't been before. More than that, the cheer and bravado she normally showed had cracked for a moment to show the scared girl underneath. The only other human she'd opened up to this much was Neil Armstrong, and he felt honoured to have her trust. After a long moment, he let her back down.

"I'm glad I could be of help."

She seemed to recover herself and said, "As promised, I have some gifts for you."

She opened the saddlebag and pulled out a panel that barely fit in it. The surface had an odd purple sheen, and were covered in traceries of symbols similar to the ones on the Restful Blankets. "My latest version of the photo-thaumic panel. It generates only about the mana of a unicorn foal just begining to use their horn, but it is the best I've developed so far."

She touched one corner and the surface turned matt black. "It absorbs all light, and turns it into mana. I bonded a thin layer of amethyst to an aluminium baseplate, and engraved the runesets on it, inlaying the grooves with what mithril I have been able to make. The runesets embody the spell, and the amethyst layer stores the mana generated. The aluminium baseplate aids balancing the spread of mana."

"That's going to be tricky to duplicate, since we don't have mithril." Pete said.

"Gold, silver, ev'en aluminium will do as an inlay, it just won't be as efficient. My radio, and the parking lot simply use engraved runes, without inlay, and my shelter uses aluminium inlaid runes carved directly into the stone."

"That's why they're black!" Pete exclaimed, connecting the dots. "Though what spell does the shelter have on it? An air bubble?"

"No, it simply stores and bleeds mana through into the interior, creating a background mana field, suplementing mine own reserves. It has healed me in ways I didn't realise I needed. And fie on me for a lackwit! Dids't live for years on the edge of starvling survival, when abundance, or at least a lessening of my poverty was within my horn's grasp for the effort of a few weeks thought, and a few hour's effort."

She tapped the corner again and it switched off. She pulled out a pouch made of beta cloth from the saddle bags and put the panel in with two others. "But that is not all. I have also created some storage crystals."

A number of fist-sized crystals of amethyst, hexagonal prisms with one pointed end and several bands of aluminium covered in brighter mithril runes wrapped around them floated out of the saddle bags.

"Place these on the photothaumic panel to charge them, though it will take several hours. I have added a minor cantrip to make them glow in proportion to the quintescence stored, and another to allow directed discharge by contact, as you have no innate magic to manipulate the mana flow. I have used similar, though made of plain quartz, on the shelter to collect excess charge during the previous day and release it during the sunless night, so they are well proven.

"To recharge the devices I gave Sir Neil and Sir Edwin, simply touch the pointed end to the device. Though you may find another use for them."

She pulled out what had once been a lunar surface checklist, its pages erased of their original text and replaced with complex patterns, similar to the runes on the other items.

"These should allow your scientists and artisans to experiment with simple magical effects. Since my translation spell doesn't allow me to write your language, and I have as yet only learned your numbers, I have numbered them, and will have to guide your savants through the process over the radio, but these are the most basic of apprentice level runes requiring only a steady horn... hand with an engraving tool and a charge of quintescence to empower them."

The storage crystals and the booklet went in the pouch with the panels. Luna levitated it over to Pete, who took it reverentially. It was part of the surface tasks that any items provided by Luna would be stored on the LM as soon as possible. "This is amazing! What sort of effects are we talking about?"

"The photo-thaumic panel runeset, and those needed to create a storage crystal. The clothes cleaning runes, of course, and my modification for a large flat surface. A cooling cantrip that will keep the contents of a flagon cold, no matter the heat of the day. The preservation runes I used on the crystal vials that held my blood, and a related one that when placed on a bandage speeds healing severalfold and wards against disease.

"A runeset to cause an object to glow, which includes basic touch control runes to alter colour and intensity. The most complex is a combination of runes that should allow them to craft a simple wand of telekinesis, able to lift, attract and repel an object of some few pounds, once again controlled by touch. Also a runeset to supress mana flow. It should be possible to power many of them directly with photothaumic runes, once they are initially enchanted."

While she'd explained, he was hooking the pouch up to the LEC, which was very carefully drawn up by Al Bean, who'd switched over to the alternate radio channel. "Houston, Intrepid. I am securing Luna's gifts in RHSSC. Replacing Special Gift Package."

"Roger, Intrepid." Gibson on Cap Com acknowledged. "Hope she likes it!"

Pete was talking to Luna at the same time. If even half of what she said worked out, the contents of that pouch were quite literally priceless. "Luna, this is one heck of a Christmas present for the folks back home!"

"Christmas..." Luna thought for a moment then nodded. "Ah, your festival of midwinter, like our Hearth's Warming Eve! Doctor Sagan and his scholars have talked with me about the many parallels of our culture. Anyway, 'tis but a tithe of my debt to your people for their many kindnesses."

Alan called over the radio, "Trust me Luna baby this is quite enough for now. The guys in the labcoats are going to flip!"

"I know I lack my full growth, but am more than a foal...", Luna looked down at herself, lip quivering.

"Hey, I didn't mean it like..." Bean's reply was interrupted by a musical laugh as Luna's sad face collapsed in a smile.

"Ha, I jest! In the modern parlance 'Hath gotten thee!'" Pete was laughing and Al groaned.

"Only in Shakespeare... Yeah, you got me. Hopefully, that's the most embarrassing thing that happens to me this mission." He was lowering something from the hatch as he spoke. Pete unhooked it, a standard temporary stowage bags.

"In the spirit of the season, we have a gift for you too." He pulled it open and brought out several basic primers, letters, numbers, words; the sheets were coated the same way the surface schedules and other paper that would be exposed to vacuum were, though he shaded them from direct sunlight. "You'd said to Doctor Sagan you were eager to start learning to read English. These should help."

Luna took the bag and its contents eagerly. "Such colourfully illuminated books, so well made and so clear, they would be the gift of a noble in Equestria. They are greatly appreciated. Thank you!"

She placed them back in the pouch, which went into her saddlebags. "But my best thanks would surely be aiding you in the many other tasks my maundering hath delayed. I stand ready to help."

In fact, according to the watch on Pete's wrist, they were still within the mission period alotted for initial contact, but getting ahead of schedule would be good. Cap Com was clearly listening as Edward Gibson spoke up. "Intrepid, Houston, are you ready to continue with planned surface activities?"

"That's a roger, Houston." Pete said. "I'll need to go beyond the landing pad for my contingency sample... I don't want to move too rapidly, but I can walk quite well."

He moved off to the edge of the hardened area, which was raised about an inch above the regular regolith. There were a number of small rocks beyond it, and some dust piled up at the edge. He hesitated a second before stepping on the black line, but Luna, who trotted just ahead of him did it without any apparent problem, so he followed. "Okay, the ground is kinda soft and queasy out here. Luna, be ready to steady me if I start to fall over?"

"Shalt stand ready!" As she spoke he bent at the knees (the only way to bend in a spacesuit as the waist was fixed) and pulled the contingency sample pouch from his leg pocket. "Okay, it's the same sort of dust Neil found, and some small rocks, though they look clean."

He sucessfully scooped up the sample and stowed it, then tried something with the remaining dust, picking up a handful and throwing it. Despite the fineness of the powder it arced like a baseball, barely scattering, and some fell on the pad.

"Okay, that's weird, seeing it fall in an arc like that..." The dust on the landing pad surface moved like windblown sand and off the edge of the pad. "And that's almost as weird."

"You doubt my skills?" asked Luna, sounding slightly hurt.

"No, just wanted to see it for myself." Making sure the stowed sample was secure, he made his way back to the LM. He noticed that the dirt that had stained his gloves from picking up the materials also seemed to flake off and away, leaving his gloves pristine. "Okay, that's going to be very useful."

He secured the contingency sample aboard, and Al Bean joined him on the surface to work through the rest of their schedule. Luna's weight was taken by a specially designed spring balance and sling harness, calibrated for lunar gravity. It would allow the designers for Apollo 13 to accurately prepare for her return trip.

Other contingency samples were taken from further out, by all three of them, and the large deployable S band antenna was deployed, and aligned with Earth to provide a better TV signal. Luna's deft telekinetic touch proved better for the final alignment than the clumsier gloves of the astronauts.

While they'd practiced surface operations with a third person (usually Dick Gordon) acting as Luna, they had still underestimated how effective an unenciumbered alicorn could be and got still further ahead of schedule, even with Pete's Bugs Bunny impression as they went to collect samples.

Then, while Pete and Luna set up one of the surface experiments, to measure solar wind, Al Bean went to unship the TV camera from the MESA and set it up on the surface.

"Okay, Houston; I'm going to move the TV camera now."

"Roger, Al."

Al disconnected the last pins that held the video camera to the MESA, and carried it out to set it up on its stand. "Hey, it's real nice moving around up here. You don't seem to get tired. You really hop like a bunny."

In his eagerness to move, and the clumsiness of his space suit, the camera ended up pointing almost directly at the sun. Pete was moving over, carrying the video extension cable and letting Luna finish the solar wind experiment deployment. "Dum dee dum dum... Okay, antennas a go, so all we need is the camera."

"Here is the TV. And it's pointing toward the Sun. That's bad." Having made the most stunningly obvious comment in history of space flight, he immediately shifted it out of line with the sun, but the damage was done. When they hooked it up to the S band antenna, all Houston got was a white blur at the top of the screen.

They spent several minutes trying to revive it, even going back to check the antenna alignment. That brought Luna over, as she'd finished setting up the Solar Wind Experment. "Is aught awry?"

"If you're asking if something's gone wrong, it looks like it." Pete said in a frustrated tone. "The TV camera has failed, all Houston is getting is a white blur."

Al added, "I may have pointed it too close to the sun, and the tube got damaged, the bit that converts light to an electrical signal, or it could be some other electrical fault. All we know is, it's not working and we haven't been able to fix it."

"Cans't not repair this 'tube', or replace it?" Luna asked.

"We don't have a replacement, or the tools to fit it even if we did." Al sounded defeated. "I guess I should move onto something else?"

Pete was about to agree, But Luna interjected, "Would this damage have left missing pieces, or simply broken it?"

"Broken, but why?" Al said, puzzled.

"Then maybe I can help." Luna moved to examine it more closely, having to rear up on her hind legs to put her head level with the camera.

"Luna, I know you're a lady... mare of many talents, but I don't remember electronics repair being one of them." Pete quipped.

"Whilst I did examine the 'video camera' Sir Neil and Sir Edwin left most closely, I admit its workings are beyond me. But if this 'tube' is simply damaged, like a cracked glass or a worn through blanket, a general mending spell may restore it, or a repair spell if that fails."

Pete absorbed Luna's reply then said, "Houston, this is Intrepid, you guys are listening in. Should we try it? Heck, I don't see how it could hurt. We're ahead of schedule... we are ahead of schedule?"

"Pete, you've been out 55 minutes, so you're about 10 minutes ahead." Cap Com replied, "I'm told they want to take a poll of the engineers, work out a procedure, wait one!"

"Roger Houston." Pete turned to Luna. "I've got to ask, how does the spell know what 'broken' and 'fixed' are for an object, especially something like this?"

"In fine, it does not." Luna replied, raising a low pad of foamed rock from the regolith and sitting back on her haunches. "The pattern can come from several sources. For simple surface damage, visible to the caster, 'tis obvious what needs mending. For a device more complex, with concealed parts or no obvious damage, the caster must rely on one of three things.

"If they are a craftspony who knows how to build the device, their own understanding can guide the spell. Otherwise, must rely on the purpose imbued in the device itself, either by the craftspony who built it, or through long usage by its owner. In this case, must hope one of these latter applies, or the spell will fail. One more thing, the spell works only with what is there, so if parts are missing, they will not be replaced."

"That at least should be okay..." Pete's reply was interrupted by Cap Com. "You have provisional permission for the exotic repair procedure, though you need to switch off and unplug the camera before trying it. No-one here can see how it might make things worse either."

"Luna, would the spell failing cause any further damage?" Pete asked, as Al moved to unhook the connector to the extension cord.

"Nay, would simply have no effect."

Pete checked with Al to see the cable was unplugged. "Okay Houston, the camera is isolated. Luna, make with the magic."

Luna rose up and her horn glowed brightly. A similar blue aura enveloped the camera, visible even in the sunlight. Several scuffs and wear on the surface visibly shrank and vanished. There was a visible frown of concentration on Luna's face. The light went out and she sat back with a sigh.

"Well, hath given it my best efforts. Can only now see if it hath born fruit."

Pete gave Al the nod, and he said, "Houston, Al. Reconnecting the cable... Switching on..."

He matched actions to words, and held his breath. Nothing obvious happened. Then Cap Com spoke. Gibson's voice was jubilant. "Well, looks like it worked! We're getting a crystal clear image here of the edge of the LM, Pete's parking lot, Luna's shelter, better than the initial one, though that's probably the S band."

Al gave a sigh of relief. "Yeah baby, that's what we want to hear. Thanks Luna, you just saved me from being the guy who wrecked Apollo 12 for our home viewing audience!"

He bounded out in front of the camera and scooped up Luna, swinging her round and barely missing knocking over the camera she'd just fixed. Moving away he found it rather harder to slow down with the poor traction in the low gravity, as well as the momentum of his suit and attached pony. When he finally stopped he swayed slightly. "Okay, not doing that again!"

Luna's wings were out, But she was giggling. "I don't know, t'was good fun. Have had little enough reason for merriment and frolics these past few years!"

"Houston, Intrepid," Pete called out, partly to take the attention off the two nuts in from of the camera. "Gotta say I'm glad we've got a picture back. What's the schedule looking like? Putting the flag up is next on the list."

"Intrepid, Houston. You are still 4 minutes up on schedule. You can proceed with the flag."

Al collected the flag from its shroud under the left rail of the LM ladder, while Pete got a hammer and brought them to the outside of the 'parking lot', but within the field of view of the camera. Leaving Al to hammer the lower of the two vertical sections into the regolith, he called Luna over as he moved back towards the Lunar Module.

"Luna, Al can pound in that stake, I figure we can get a march on the next task, setting up the ALSEP by extracting Package 1 while he does. You did it for Apollo 11, I can guide you in the differences, this is the full version."

"Gladly." Together they moved round to the Scientific Equipment bay on the opposite side from the MESA and worked on extracting the pallet which contained science equipment and the central station with the antenna that would send data back to Earth. As with Apollo 11, things went far more smoothly with Luna's telekinetic reach. They had the pallet down on the pad, and Pete was attaching the carry bar when Al's voice broke across their comms.

"Oh the... Pete, tell me this stuff wasn't built by the lowest bidder. The horizontal bar isn't locking in place."

"The flag? What is it with you today?" Pete was torn between exasperation and laughter.

"I swear I just rigged it the way we have in sims a dozen times. Gonna need taping. Or Luna can see if she can do a twofer."

"Canst try." Luna chipped in, and set off towards Al and the flag, which looked distictly bedraggled since the stiffening bar that would hold it open was hanging down. Pete followed her, the schedule had photos in front of the flag next, and it wasn't like anybody was going to steal the ALSEP while they were gone. Even before he got there, a blue glow surrounded the top of the flag. When Al opened it, the flag started to droop again, before the glow reappeared and opened the flag fully. This time it stayed in place.

"Problems?" He asked, as Luna looked a little put out.

"The workmanship must have been faulty, or too shoddily done, as the repair spell didst not take. So instead I dids't permanently fuse the top bar to the pole with alchemy. That is satisfactory, yes?"

"That works." While taping it would have worked, it would have lost any time they'd gained fetching tape and working it with spacesuit gloves. The next minute was taken up with a number of photos with Al's Hasselblad of them posing in front of the flag, including one where Al set up the shot, then left it hovering in mid-air courtesy of Luna's magic, which also activated the exposure, allowing all three of them to pose with Luna between the two astronauts.

Al completed his part of the ALSEP unload next, unloading the second pallet with the remaining experiments and the cables and tools needed to set them up, as well as the SNAP-27 Radioisotope Thermal Generator that would power it all. He was also responsible for fueling up the RTG. Once again, Luna's precise telekinesis proved a boon when the Boyd bolts holding an experiment on the panel proved balky, and the fuel rods for the RTG turned out to be stuck in the re-entry cask that would have protected them if the LM had ever had to make a re-entry on Earth due to a launch abort. That and some percussive maintenance using the hammer on the re-entry cask.

They got both pallets hooked up to the carry bar, Pete carrying one of the experiments separately and the tongs used to pick up samples, Al and Luna carrying the rest. Bean stopped to move the video camera round to cover the western arc, the direction they would going in. Pete consulted his wrist checklist, "Okay, camera's done, I've got the SIDE and the picker-uppers for the rocks, Let's go right off to that little mound out there. There looks to be a large flat area beside it."

"Okay, Luna, let's head out west, ye haw!" Al quipped. "We're making our move, Houston."

The 300 pound package that Pete was carrying only weighed 50 on the moon, but still had all its momentum, so Luna was suporting it with her magic.

"She fixes, she unsticks, she lifts and carries... Alicorn magic is the new universal tool, even better than a hammer and duct tape put together!" Pete quipped. "Every space mission should have one."

"I'm glad, though 'tis mine hope that I can support missions after the next one from the Earth." Luna replied, sounding pleased. "Though why must we carry these devices so far from the lander?"

"To keep the instruments clear of dust. When we take off, we'll be flying west. That means most of the dust we raise will go east. Your efforts will help, but this is still a sensible precaution. I also want us about 10 degrees from take-off angle, to avoid any effects of overflying them."

"I'm pretty glad of that anti-dust spell too, and the parking lot you created for Pete." Al added. "Charging the RTG was bad enough, trying to do it when everything was sitting in the dirt would have been far worse. I mean, look at those packages, you and Pete are carrying them well clear of the surface, and the bottoms are still getting covered in dirt!"

"I hear you." Pete replied, "Remember how Dr Wilson was always harping on at us back in training to keep everything free of dust? He'd probably have a heart attack if he could see this place... Okay, Houston, how long was our shadow?"

With Pete lightly loaded, it was quick work to find a relatively level area once they got to the mound, and Luna raised a flat, solid pad the size of a double bed a few inches above the dirt, sweeping it clean and then inscribing and empowering the anti-dust rune while the two of them unpacked the instruments. Pete ran into problems when he tried to remove the SIDE instrument using his Universal Handling Tool to undo the bolts.

"You know, there must be some thermal expansion or something. I'm having a heck of a time getting this UHT in this SIDE... It just flat won't go in there."

"I always used my hands." Al replied.

"Ugh! I can't reach down that far... Luna, could you get them?"

A blue glow formed around them and all four unscrewed. It wasn't the only problem they had with unpacking and setting up the ALSEP, several procedures which had worked fine on Earth under 1G proved to be slow and difficult at best in the inflexible space suits under lunar gravity. Fortunately, Luna could cover the problems, and provided smaller dust free pads for the remote instruments, though she required a quick explanation of what each did in payment.

"... and this is the central station. All the other instruments plug into it. It controls them and relays the readings back to Earth." Pete had the Central station well set on the main rasied work area, and was deploying the antenna.

"Where are the solar panels? Surely it needs electricity?" Luna asked.

"That's what the RTG is for. Radio-isotope Thermal Generator. It uses the temperature difference between the radio-active slugs inside and the exterior to generate electricity."

"Radio-active?" Luna looked over to the distant pad where Al had placed the RTG. "I thought that was something to be avoided. We had them out in the open, right there."

"Dum, de dum..." Al was checking the voltage output from the dials on the central station. "They're not refined enough to be really a problem for a few minutes exposure, compared to what we're already getting out here. The rest of the time they were shielded. Though it's a pity your panels don't absorb gamma radiation too."

"Why would they not?" Luna asked. "While 'tis true the standard light spell produces only visible light, Sir Neil explained that it was but a portion of the true spectrum, and after my discussions with diverse scientists, this gamma radiation is just another frequency. My first inscriptions did just reverse the visible light spell, but in order to provide the most power, my final version absorbs all frequecies equally."

"Whoa, it's a radiation shield, too?" Al exclaimed. "When you do a job you don't mess about, do you?"

Luna blushed. "Had promised Sir Neil I would find ways to protect against radiation. Whilst will absorb the light part, does nothing for the parts of atoms that are also ejected, especially those deadly neutral particles I have learned of. However, a kinetic shield such as the one I use to hold air in should suffice with some modification.

"Had feared I would have to redevelop the unicorn shields used for protection during elemental transmutation entire, and they were complex indeed, and good for only short periods. But I have talked with Professor Hamilton of 'systems engineering' and 'modular design', and realised 'twould greatly simplify matters if I separated the two functions.

"I still have much work to do, the current panel is based upon a spell that makes an object glow. If I can adapt it to be more similar to a projected illusion, could cover and entire area with an bubble of absorbtion. Though will need a 'bandpass filter' to allow some part of the visible light through, or t'would look like a giant black sphere. Radio also. Coulds't even power the kinetic field from the photo-thaumic collector."

"So, combine them and you get a full radiation screen and a sun filter?" Pete exhaled heavily. "Al was right, when you promise something, you deliver in spades!"

"I was the Bearer of Honesty, though in truth, much of the work remains to be done. But I hope to have solved it by the time your fellows come to carry me to Earth."

"Yeah, we've got work to be done here too, and it isn't going to do itself." Pete replied. "Okay Al, what's next on the checklist?"

They set to work with a will, and had the remaining components deployed soon enough. The rest of the EVA involved a geology traverse on the way back, picking up more samples, and examining a large crater even further to the north west.

On the way back, Pete was taking a panoramic picture and said, "I just wish we could have brought the video camera. I bet we were little more than inch high figures when we deployed the ALSEP."

"Mayhap I can help." Luna replied. "You can repower the illusion projector now. I will provide a crystal with illusions of my memories that you can put in place of one of the existing ones."

"That should work."

They returned to the Lunar lander having a chance to view the radio relay and Luna's magic dome up close for the first time. Both astronauts took several pictures, a couple when Luna deactivated the dome to show its true colour of grey regolith, studded with forearm-sized purple crystal prisms, and covered in silvery runes. Houston even authorised Alan Bean to reposition the TV camera to show it more closely, something he did with great care, and Luna's help in raising a rock pillar to support it. Luna's help throughout the mission meant they had a few minutes spare in the schedule.

"This must have taken you ages!" Pete said, examining the surface.

"Raising the dome was the work of a moment, as I have said, this moon corresponds to my own enough that working its substance comes easily to me. I found a crater of suitable size and raised a dome of dust and rock over it, compressing it to form a solid stone roof. I had arrived the previous lunar morn, so one it was up I started extracting the metals from the soil and forming runes on the eastern side.

"As each was complete, I empowered it, providing power to charge the next one. I also formed the crystals of amethyst as the centre piece of each runeset, 'tis but coloured quartz, so the materials to make it were abundant. Didst take most of two Earth days, but even half finished, the power it radiated invigorated me. And as I had hoped, the rate of discharge I set meant that they continued to re-radiate mana even after the sun set, and throughout the night."

Luna tapped certain runes, and a field of matt black once again flowed across the surface of the rock igloo. The TV camera was returned to its original stand, covering the LM and the flag, and the two astronauts retired for their rest period.

Author's Note:

Okay, the question is, do I show the second EVA. It involves visting Surveyor and the infamous 'wrist schedule cheescake' incident, and the first lunar selfie. But I'm worried I'm either just recapping what happened, or having Luna do a thing and the astronauts going 'wow, she did a thing'.

Hopefully, I'm not boring anyone.