• Published 16th Sep 2014
  • 2,037 Views, 29 Comments

Brotherly Love - Captain Moneybags



After our favourite guard captain finds out what his little sister's been up to, or rather, who's been up to his little sister, he decides to do what any good brother would do. Get mad.

  • ...
11
 29
 2,037

"What did you say about MY love life?"

"Guards! In position!"

Shining Armor was doing his best to appear strong and fierce, and he was doing a surprisingly good job at it. He expected nothing less from himself for his favourite part of the day.
The Inspection.
Each and every day, Shining got to line up his whole platoon of guards, and check each and every one of them for inconsistency. It took a while for the guard to take their positions, but Shining was happy with the result.

"A neat line. I like that."

As always, he started on the left of the line, making his way right while carefully inspecting each and every pony.
First was Gold Helmet.

"Did you brush your helmet this morning? Good."

Next, Stone Guardian.

"I like your stature. Keep that up."

Tinder.
"Your mane's charred. Try to keep that in check."

And Shining went through the line in this fashion, providing all his guards with a commentary. Nothing out of-the-ordinary. Well, Loose Ends somehow managed to lose his helmet, and Swig was slightly drunk by 3 o'clock. But aside from that, all was fine.
About two-thirds through his squad, Shining came across a very particular Stallion.
Flash Sentry.
Shining didn't like Flash.
Not that he was a bad guard, he actually was one of the best, second place in Trying Your Best after Gold Helmet, even.
But Flash Sentry was the pony that was dating Shining's little sister. And that alone earned him an everlasting Slight Dislike from his captain.

"Your armor's a tad loose. You should get a new one made."

Shining didn't let his personal feelings muddy his observation, and made sure his words were unbiased. But he did make sure to shoot his soldier an extra nasty glare. Satisfied with his actions, Shining went on with his inspections.

"Captain Shining Armor. If you'd come with me for a second."

Shining froze. That voice wasn't his. But it was a voice he knew all too well. And its owner wasn't happy to see him.

"In a minute Twi- er, Princess. I'm just finishing the insp-"

"Shining Armor. Your office. NOW."

And with those words, Twilight left the courtyard. Shining looked over the remaining guards, gave them a hoof up and dashed after his sister. He soon caught up with her.

"Hey Twily, long time no see!"

"Don't call me 'Twily' in public. Call me 'Princess' or 'Twilight'."

Oof. Twilight's only twice before onjected to her brother calling her Twily. Both instances had something to do with breaking something very valuable to her.

"So what's wrong? You can tell your brother."

Twilight held a steady pace to her brother's office.

"I wouldn't want to embarrass you in front of your guards."

Shining Swallowed. He thought it wise to keep silent for the rest of the walk to his office. So did Twilight. Even as they stepped inside the luxurious room, she said nothing.
Shining Armor nervously took his helmet off. This didn't look good. Oh no, they looked a whole new shade of bad.
Twilight sat down in the big chair Shining always said in. He opened his mouth to protest, but sat down on one of the wooden chairs across from her instead.
Twilight placed her soft, lavender hooves on the wooden surface her brother's bureau, and seemed to try and stare him out of existence for the next few seconds.

"Shining. I've... found something."

Shining tilted his head. Found what? Even if she went in his private quarters, even Cadence hadn't found the magazines yet.

"Something which I hope you can explain to me."

Shining panicked internally. Twilight's eyes seemed to have had caught on fire earlier.
A little crumpled up note, surrounded by a purple magic haze, levitated to the to of the desk. It neatly unfolded itself to be read by Shining.

As long as you make no mistakes, I'll allow it.

Shining Armor coughed nervously. That note. Did Flash drop it or something? How did hse find it?

"S-sorry Twily, I don't recognize that p-"

"Don't try to fool me, Shining. I'm your sister and a librarian. I know what your hoofwriting looks like."

"So... Where'd you get that?"

Twilight responded in a tone that was sharp enough to cut through rock.

"Don't change the subject. But if you must now, Flash Sentry was kinda nervous on our latest date..." She especially empathized that last word, "and I asked him what was wrong. He gave me this."

Shining's eyes darted around the room as he tried to recall his teleportation spells.

"Well, it wasn't about how he's dating you or anything..."

"He told me. You yelled at him. Quite a bit, even."

There was no way Shining'd get out of this.

"Well, I only wanted to make sure nothing bad'd happen to you."

It took Twilight half a second to slam her hooves down on the desk's surface with impressive force.

"Shining! I can take care of myself! I lived in Ponyville all by myself for nearly two whole sasons just fine! That we've picked up contact again doesn't mean you can try and scare stallions away from me now that I'm FINSLLY getting some attention!"

Shining tried to shrink into his chair, and envied the guards that seemed so good at it whenever he had to discipline them.

"W-well, you know how much I care about you, a-and he kiseed you, and-"

Twilight's purple mane flared up into red-hot flames for a split second, taking her eyes with her.

"Of course we kissed! I kissed him back! I even started it! It was a DATE! Ponies kiss when they go on dates!"

"Y-yeah, but-"

"I never yelled at Cadence for making out with you in your room when I still lived at home!"

Shining blinked.
She knew?

"I swear to Celestia, Shining, if you ever threaten him with remote outposts again, I'll get you demoted!"

As much as that hurt, Shining did his best to stay calm. The fact his spine had turned to jello earlier helped a lot.

"But what if he upsets you, or breaks your heart, or-?"

"Again, I'm a grown mare! If he hurts me, I can handle that on my own! Not to forget five great friends!"

Shining looked down to the floor, and accepted his fate.

"I understand. I'm sorry."

But Twilight was on a roll. And when Twilight's on a roll, not even Celestia herself can stop her.

"I can make my own decisions, and I can stand up for myself! I don't need you meddling with my love life, Shining! You better go and apologize the second I'm done with you!"

Shining only nodded. Twilight opened her mouth to say more, but found herself out of things to yell at her brother.

"Just... Don't do it anymore, okay?"

She get out of the chair, and walked around the massive wooden bureau towards her brother. She placed a hoof on his shoulder, and make eye contact with him.

"Don't do it anymore."

"I won't."

The lovely moment of reunion was cut short by a loud knock on the door.
Twilight answered before Shining got the chance.

"We'll be done in a minute! Can it wait?"

A voice came from the other side of the door. It sounded unsure of wether or not to adress the princess.

"M-miss! Ma'am! Princess! One of our guards has been hit by rogue lighting, we're in need of Captain Shining Armor's guidance! Miss! Ma'am! Princess!"

Twilight sighed, and turned to her brother once more. They both knew the time was right, and leaned in for a sweet hug.
Twilight whispered softly in her brother's ear.

"Do anything to Flash Sentry and you're getting demoted to floor-scrubber."

It didn't sound angry.
It didn't sound Twilight was wishing there was enough time for her to strangle her dear brother until his face matched his mane in colour.
It sounded quite sweet, which was even worse.
Shining and his sister broke the hug. They shared a moment of silence, before Twilight gestured towards the door.

"Go. They need you."

And with that, Shining Armor left his office as quickly as his etiquette let him at that moment, leaving his sister behind.

"Come on Airhorn. Let's go. Where to?."

"Sir! The courtyard, sir! Where you left us, sir!"

Shining sighed, and pushed the guard out of his path.

"Good. I need to have a word with Flash Sentry after."

Author's Note:

So there you have it. You can't just write notes to ponies and expect no one to find out.

This second chapter was completely unplanned, and if you're happy to see it, thank Skydrake for the idea.

It was kind of refreshing to write Shining Armor out-of-character angry the first chapter, and then let him have no spine the next. Maybe you think it's lame, I could get behind that. But I like it.

Enjoy!

Comments ( 13 )

That was awesome. I loved Shinning getting scolded.

There was some minor gramar errors.

My computer is being crazy so i can't write them.

Ha, that was kinda awesome, if a bit short - both Twilight getting to yell Shining's fetlocks off, and the reconciliation in the end - after all is said and done, they are still siblings who are pretty close. Even if it means a certain overzealous big brother needs a dose of reality from his I-could-kick-your-flank-and-demote-you sister. Indeed, after wall that Twilight has been through to get where she is, one would imagine one could trust her to handle herself. And I imagine she didn't appreciate the ruined date, heh.

All in all, a short and enjoyable conclusion, if riddled with a few grammar mistakes here and there. Remember kids, before you go playing white knight for someone, take a moment to consider whether the recipient would want, need or appreciate your :protection".

...

And then Cadence found his magazines and Shining's life was over. Shiny, you don't need magazines when you are together with the alicorn of Love, she might take it the wrong way :facehoof:

5045354
They're armor shopping magazines.
Exactly what I had in mind after reading your suggestion. I'm glad you like it!

Also, ten faves, im such a good writr lol :moustache:
But really, that's five times a many favourites as my other story. I'm happy.

Only because your a Princess Twilight, only because your a Princess...

Daww, you go girl.

I'm half-thinking about doing a third chapter, in which Flash Sentry finds out Twilight has scolded Shining Armor for scolding him for dating her. But he'd probably just thank her. And if I did that, I'd have to write yet another chapter about Shining Armor scolding Flash Sentry for thanking Twilight for scolding him for scolding Flash for dating Twilight. It'd get confusing by that point.

More more more more more!!!!!

5094845
More more more more more?
To be frank, I think this story's come to an end. If it's more you want, you'll have to patiently wait until there's a new story on my profile.

I'm gonna take this chance to shamelessly advertise myself and alert all of you who see this once more that I am willing to take requests, just PM me or comment on my profile, whichever one you like best.
In fact, most of my imagination comes from requests. Two out of three chapters I've published on this site weren't completely my idea.

5095280 5078677 I was thinking to bring a dark (sad) theme to it, just say Flash Sentry was hit and killed by the lightning mentioned at the end. :rainbowkiss:

"I swear to Celestia, Shining, if you ever threaten him with remote outposts again, I'll get you demoted!"

In theory, she can't...

First of all, Shining Armor is the Captain of the DAY GUARD so only Celestia can demote him.

Second, even if it's only a guard, she is ONE princess of FOUR, she cannot demote him without talking with the others

Third, it could very well make Celestia angry if she do that, and not only Celestia

Fourth, he is also the Prince of the Crystal Empire as he is married with Cadence

And finally... Five... It could give her bad reputation to demote Shining Armor, not to say she will be forced to find a replacement.

5510482
Angry ponies make a lot of promises they can't keep.
Love is a most curious thing, Kichi.

Well then the solution is obvious Cele luna Cadence can be temporally removed due to an alicorn grade sleeping spell, warded concrete bunker, and magic inhibitors; then brought back after he is demoted as the replacement flash is a good start. while they are gone she can also execute a few ponies *coughs* Blue Blood. marenaping the princess being done by a few assassins paid via money laundering by friends (by excuses of political nightmares which it be if she is found to have a connection to these types of ponies so not a lie therefore flies under AJ radar; 'what types' the friends ask answer while you are loyal slip ups happen therefore it is kept a secret) and then further laundered by random OCs sworn to secrecy under threat of treason. no guards on duty due to an intentional clergical error by twilight why would she be trusted have you seen her organizational skills. all written off as a incurably thought out coop trigger by "mistake" on the schedules it in still twilight as the true ruler she claim the power made her go crazy using the "power corrupts absolute power corrupts absolutely" quote she rescues celestia, luna, and cadence after a few days of false searching to not raise suspicion. the plan is foal proof. famous last words of many a villain. :pinkiecrazy::twilightsmile:

6515233
ah yes the good ol' marenaping technique. Can't go wrong with that one, eh?

Login or register to comment