• Published 5th Sep 2014
  • 2,038 Views, 52 Comments

The Derp Note - Frogmyre



The first rule of the Derp Note: "Any pony whose name is written in this note shall derp."

  • ...
3
 52
 2,038

5 - The Greatest and Most Powerful Chapter, in Which the Culprit is Found

As Ditzy and Twilight were standing outside the trailer, awaiting a response from whomever lived inside, it started to rain. It was almost as if the universe sensed Ditzy's bitter mood. She still didn't trust Twilight, but under the current circumstances she had no choice. Another pony knowing of the Derp Note was not a good thing.

"So who is this pony? The one you suspect?" she asked Twilight, as they both stood on the steps leading towards the wagon's door.

"Trixie, the so called great and powerful. Oh, and I forgot to tell you this. Some of my notes on the Derp Note were stolen. If we can find the pony who stole them, we'll find the pony who threatened you!" replied Twilight, turning to look at Ditzy. To be honest, Twilight still didn't trust her that much. At least while she carried the Derp Note, and was followed by that absurd creature, Xanderppe. The Note seemed exactly like the kind of evil artifact that would corrupt whomsoever was to use it. She wished Ditzy had allowed her to study it for awhile, to see if it had any adverse affects.

"You don't mean that travelling magician who you showed up awhile back, do you?" asked Ditzy. She groaned, for the name of The Great and Powerful Trixie was not one quickly forgotten.

The Derp Note was currently in Ditzys' mailbag, which was slung over her shoulder. She readjusted the mailbag, and thought about pulling it out, but she wanted Twilight to trust her, for now at least, so she figured it would be safer if she didn't use it.

"Do you really value her trust that much?"the voice of Xanderppe crept into her mind, and whispered out those insidious words.

Before Ditzy got a chance to reply, the door to the wagon slowly swung open, with a single menacing creak. "You'd think Trixie would take greater care of her wagon, wouldn't you?" asked Ditzy, trying to not act as afraid as she felt. A feeble light escaped from the open doorway, which was surprising as it seemed no pony was home.

"You'd think so, yes," Twilight muttered, as she stepped into the wagon. It was surprisingly spacious for a showmare's travelling wagon. There was a small bed, with a blue blanket on top of it, on the left side of the cabin, and a small table to the side of it. In what could be considered the middle of the wagon, there was what appeared to be a faux Ursa Major skin rug, on top of which was a large table. Covering the table was a blue tablecloth and on top of that was a candelabra, complete with candles, two completely burnt out, and the third one feebly flickering on. "Well, that's not very safe," Twilight observed, as she walked a bit further into the cabin.

"Are you sure we should actually be doing this?" Ditzy asked, as she followed Twilight into the wagon. Looking around, she had to admit the place wasn't that bad. Although she couldn't imagine anypony living in it, day in and day out.

"Well, it's not like we broke open the door or anything, right? It just swung open, and we're investigating! Now, come help me open this, will you?" Twilight replied, as she gestured towards a chest she had found taking up most of the right side of the wagon. She was almost positive that her stolen notes would be found in this chest.

Ditzy sighed as she trotted over towards Twilight. The chest was locked tight, but Ditzy could see that the lock itself was enveloped in a magical aura, cast by Twilight. "Allow me," Ditzy said, before butting in, and taking a backwards run at the lock. The universe would like to note that there was a surprising amount of power to be found in her rump, which would explain why the lock burst open upon being hit.

"..." Twilight was left audibly speechless. Of course, she didn't know that her magic had weakened the lock, helping Ditzy. Realizing that complaining was meaningless, Twilight started to open the chest with her magic.

"Who goes there?!" exclaimed a mysterious voice, "who dares invade the house of Trixie the Great and Powerful?"

The universe notes that in the grand scheme of things, Trixie was neither that great, nor powerful, so herein she shall be referred to as simply Trixie.

"Stay here, and look through the chest, okay?" Twilight asked Ditzy as she stepped outside. Ditzy nodded, and started searching as Twilight spoke to Trixie, "It's me, Trixie." She hoped that the magician wouldn't react too unfavorably to her having been in her house. However, she underestimated Trixie's resentment.

"Why would you, the pony who DARED to show up The Great and Powerful Trixie, be anywhere near my wagon?" Trixie asked, clearly sounding frustrated. "Unless..." Trixie started to answer her own question, "you are here to admit that I AM the greatest unicorn in all of Equestria, and that you wish to become my pupil?"

"No, Trixie, that's not it," Twilight answered, as she held in a laugh. "Come on Ditzy, hurry up," she thought, as she took a quick look behind her.

Ditzy was currently emptying out the entire chest onto the table. Subtlety wasn't her finest point. But as she continued, all she found was magical props, a few bouquets of roses, and strangely enough, a picture of Twilight at the very back. "Well... that's weird," commented Ditzy as she took one last look through everything. Shrugging, she looked outside the window.

"-And just before I left last night, another stallion just happened to visit Trixie! Are you telling Trixe that this is just a pure coincidence?" asked Trixie, pointing an incriminating hoof at Twilight.

"Yes Trixie, this is a pure coincidence, and no, we are not secretly forming a cult to worship you and raise you to alicornhood," Twilight explained to Trixie. The size of Trixie's ego was staggering at times, almost too much to bare. She'd imagined that when Trixie had been run out of town, that her ego would have been deflated somewhat. Instead, almost the complete opposite had happened.

Fortunately for Twilight's sanity, she noticed Ditzy looking out the window behind her, not holding any papers. Trixie was paying too much attention to Twilight, that she didn't even see Ditzy sneak out of the wagon and fly away. Just as Trixie was about to start another tirade, Twilight rushed passed her, muttering a little too loudly, "So she didn't have my Derp Note research papers."

"Derp note? Trixie demands to know what you're talking about!" Trixie exclaimed at the quickly disappearing Twilight. Trixie then sighed, as she realized that there was no way she could catch up to Twilight, and returned to her wagon. "WHO DARED TO GO THROUGH THE BELONGINGS OF TRIXIE THE GREAT AND POWERFUL?!" Trixie's shout filled the air, almost rattling the wagon with it's volume.


As the two mares wandered back towards Twilight's library, they came across the resident horologist, Time Turner. And by came across, the universe actually means accidentally bumped into with great force. "Oh, I'm sorry!" exclaimed Twilight, as she was knocked back from the recoil. "I didn't see you there, I was busy talking with Ditzy," she explained, as she proffered a helping hoof towards him, for he had also fallen on the ground.

He gently pushed away her hoof, and got up. "I'm fine, I'm fine. Just... watch where you're going next time, okay? The same goes for you too, Ditzy," he said, looking at Ditzy, who was hovering in the sky, her face flushed with embarrassment.

Xanderppe, who was currently floating above Twilight, took one look at Ditzy and facepalmed, for as much as a Derpigami could. "Really...? That's how you feel about him? Those feelings will be a hindrance, trust me," he thought at Ditzy.

"Oh, quiet you!" she thought, aggravated at the Derpigami. "I'm sorry as well," Ditzy apologized, although it really wasn't her fault that Twilight had been too engrossed in conversing with her that she didn't see Time Turner.

"Well, it's fine. But you, Ditzy... you should be careful. Playing with fire is bound to get you burnt," Time Turner said, as he passed by Ditzy. His vague warning confused both Twilight and Ditzy.

As they continued walking back towards her library, Twilight said, "Ditzy... does Time Turner seem suspicious to you? He does to me."

"Well, I suppose the last thing he said sounded a little... off. But that's just him, really," said Ditzy, as they finally reached the library. Twilight walked over to one corner of it, and started casting a spell. Ditzy could see a faint purple magical field slowly expand from the corner, and start filling up the treebrary. A few seconds later, it had sped up and filled the entire first floor. "What's that for?" Ditzy inquired.

"To confirm my suspicions, unfortunately. As much as I'm sure you'll hate hearing this, it appears that Time Turner isn't as innocent as he seems," Ditzy started to interrupt, but Twilight held up a hoof. "Remember that security field that was activated last night? Well, I figured that if I amplified the magical power within it, I'd at least be able to find out the magical trace of the pony who tripped it. Each pony has their own unique magical trace, which they and only they have. Now, my security spell keeps a copy of each trace, every time it's activated. But it needs to be boosted to find the traces. And when I boosted it with my power... I found the trace of a certain Time Turner. I was so certain it was Trixie, I didn't do this last night... but I think I know what happened," Twilight explained. She seemed to take a lot of joy in explaining the spell, which was no surprise, considering she designed it herself.

"So... what happened?" Ditzy asked, not wanting to believe Twilight's words.

"I'll explain later. Right now, we have a pony to catch!" Twilight exclaimed, as she ran out of the door.

"This can't end well," muttered Ditzy, as she flew after Twilight, with Xanderppe floating behind her.

Author's Note:

Irony, thy name is author's note.

Well here it is. Finally.

Surprisingly easy to write... after formulating a new plot.

Yeah.

Well, I'm glad I got it out.

Comments ( 8 )

5878877
...

I am going to be honest.

This comment was the comment that finally got me through the block, and actually writing again. Just knowing someone cared. And so... I bring you the newest chapter!

Oh hey! This! I remember this! I remember how much I loved it! MOAR, PLZ!!!

This looks like a ball of fun, but I'm a bit short on time. Adding it to my reading list. :pinkiesmile:

5894139 YES! This is what I had been hoping for! Bravo, bravo! Keep this up! Though one thing I noticed. You refer to Ditzy delivering mail to Whooves the doctor in earlier in the story. Is that the same character as TIme Turner, or just a slight misstep?

5895617
*Derp*

I knew I'd end up making a continuity error!

Yeah, Whooves is Time Turner. When I do my rewrite (See second newest blog post.) I'll have to keep an eye out for those sorts of things.

Thanks, by the way!

The anticipation is killing me! What's the holdup?

5895645 66 weeks later...
I love this series, why is reality experiencing server lag?

I love this so much! <3

Login or register to comment