• Published 20th Jul 2014
  • 644 Views, 13 Comments

Dethroning the Prince - Ri Jun



When the Royal Sisters go missing leaving nothing more than a bloodied blue feather, Equestria's throne goes to the next in line, Prince Blueblood. With Equestria spiraling down into dark times and war with the griffons looming on the horizon it seem

  • ...
1
 13
 644

Power

"You know this is so wrong, Ruby," a guard called Butter Knife said to his colleague, as he sat by the cottage of the Bearer of Kindness.

"What's wrong?" She replied.

"That we're y'know, trying to capture Twilight Sparkle, plus detaining the nation's heroes."

"She did injure Gleam. I heard it was pretty bad."

"You and I both know that was an accident, it happens all the time! It was just the wrong time and place."

"Yeah I suppose, I hope he gets out of it okay, his wife is already eight months along. But imprisoning the elements… There's not really anything we can do, is there?"

"Heh, yeah, the only thing I can think of is overthrowing the Pr- King but we can't do that, right?"

"Maybe someday, Butter."

"Hey! I told you to call me Knife!"

"Pfft. Everypony knows your name anyway."

"Yeah but Butter is just so... Weak."

Ruby rolled her eyes and went back to staring into the sky.

"Oh for pony's sake! How much longer 'till sunrise?! I'm so bored."

The Butter rolled his eyes and looked to the sky as well. "Eh... Probably another hour or so. I think Sour has a pack of cards, let's go see."

~~~

“Mental note to self: when I get back,” If I get back, “Ask Shiny to give me survival lessons, Celestia damnit.”

She was freezing cold but very reluctant to cast a warming spell for she wasn’t about to leave a trail leading right to her for Blueblood to follow. That one tracking spell was risky enough.

Looking down she gazed upon her pile of ‘food’ that she’d collected.

“Okay, picking the mushrooms was a stupid idea,” She threw them into the forest behind her.

“The berries were also a stupid idea.” They joined the mushrooms.

“Leaves? No, I don’t think so…”

“Bark, did Shiny say they ate bark in training? Stupid brain! You can remember advanced spells you never use but not the most basic survival trivia?! Idiot.”

“Right, I have to eat grass. Great.”

She looked around. "Plenty of that, at least for now."

Bending down, she took a mouthful of grass into her mouth.

Her face immediately scrunched up as it turned green, the taste making her eyes tear. It was unlike anything she'd ever had before, even worse than Spike's first attempts at cooking when he was younger.

Spewing it all over the place she exclaimed, "Sweet Celestia this is going to be horrible!"

~~~

“How can we believe you? You are the Bearer of Loyalty. Loyal to your friends, not the nation,” Blueblood said, staring into Rainbow's eyes.

“You’re right. It’s stupid of you to ask me, I’d never rat out on my friends! But I really don’t know anything this time!” Rainbow felt sick. They expected her to spill, eventually, well she wasn't! She didn't know anything, anyway. It didn't matter. She just hoped Twilight was okay. What am I thinking; of course that egghead is okay! She's always okay in the end.

“Perhaps, perhaps not. But maybe you could give us some ideas as to what she is up to. Miss Dash, this is a serious crime.” Blueblood said, about to reveal the rest, hoping that perhaps if she knew of the full extent of her friend’s crime, perhaps she would give up something.

“Theft isn’t that serious.” She tried to shake off the feeling of dread nagging at her.

“It wasn’t just theft, it was also trespassing. But the thing is, she injured one of my guards.”

“What? No. Twi wouldn’t hurt a fly!” The pegasus protested, wings flaring and red clouding her head.

“Nightmare Moon, Queen Chrysalis, King Sombra, and Discord aren’t flies, Rainbow Dash.”

“But they were- we were- it was- I mean- we were defending Equestria!” She sputtered. No way Twilight did that, she's too soft... right?

“Hm,” The King looked at the fuming mare in front of him considering his options.

“You are free to go.”

She stood without a word.

“For now.”

She looked back and glared at him before taking off.

~~~

“Ah, the Element of Honesty. Tell me, do you really tell the truth at all times?”

“Of course Ah do,” A drip of sweat trickled down Applejack's forehead.

“That was a lie.”

“Prove it,” she said, actually glad that he could tell.

“You’re a bad liar, Miss Apple.”

“Well at least ya can tell when Ahm lyin’; it’ll make this faster.”

“Touché. So, where is Twilight Sparkle?”

“Ah don’t know.”

“Any guesses?”

The mare shook her head.

“Do you know where her dragon, Spike, is?”

“Nope.”

“Do you think he is with her?”

Applejack looked to the side not glad anymore, “Ah don’t think so.”

“You lied. Tell me, do you know exactly what Twilight did?”

“She stole something, didn’t she?”

“Yes, Princess Luna’s feather. But she also injured one of my guards in the process.” His eyes examining her reaction.

“Injured?” She gasped with disbelief.

“Yes, she teleported in an unstable state, thus giving off a wave of magic that blew the guard into a display of weapons.” Useless armour. I wonder why Auntie never gave the poor sods something better.

“B-but that wasn’t on purpose! She didn’t mean to! Ah know it!”

“That doesn’t change the fact that he is in hospital, fighting for his life.”

“His life?” She murmured. Her repeating of everything he said was beginning to grate on his nerves.

“If he dies she will be executed for murder, you know,” He said coolly.

“No…”

“Are you sure you do not know anything?”

“Ahm sure.”

“What does she want with the feather?”

“Princess Luna’s feather? Ah don’t know.”

“Tell me,” He demanded.

“Ah don’t know!”

“Put her in a cell for the time being,” Blueblood ordered the guards.

“What?!” Exclaimed the mare as the two guards walked over to her.

“Are you sure, Your Highness?” a guard asked, the hoofcuffs held with his magic pausing in mid-air.

“What do you mean am I sure?! Of course I am! Do it immediately or you shall join her!” the king said, rage swelling in his chest.

“But, Your Highness-“ Said the other guard before flinching as the king's hooves slammed into the table.

“NOW!”

The two guards hurriedly carried out their orders, feeling shame the whole time.

Mixed surprised shouts of her name greeted Applejack as she emerged from the questioning room.

Looking down, she said not to worry as she was taken away.

~~~

The remaining ponies and draconequus sat in silence, most of them stunned.

Finally Big Macintosh rose saying, “Eenope,” As he trotted to the reception.

“Miss Rarity.”

The unicorn stood as her name was called and emptied her face of emotion.

~~~

“Ah, we meet again, Rarity. Please sit.”

“Good morning, Your Highness,” She replied with ice, daintily taking her seat the chair still felt warm. What did you do Applejack?

“You still haven’t forgiven me for the Gala? How many letters must I write?”

“You were the most uncouth escort I have ever had the misfortune to meet!” She felt embarrassment, willing her cheeks not to burn.

The King chuckled, “Oh but I was never your escort, my dear. And at that time I was slightly intoxicated, unfortunately. But to business now, your friend Twilight. Do you know what has occurred?”

“Stole a feather did she not?” she asked, keeping her voice light.

He nodded sadly.

“And injured a guard. Do you know the location of her dragon Spike?”

Rarity gasped, “Injured a guard?! Dear Twilight would never!”

“Her dragon, Rarity?”

“I believe he is away on a trip.”

“A trip? Where?” Blueblood asked, surprised.

“Someplace beyond the Everfree. We’d heard of a land rich in gems and he’d decided to investigate.”

“I see, on his own? How long will this trip take?”

“Yes. I can't say. He said that if there were no gems he might visit the Griffon Empire.” The lies flowed out of her mouth so easily, she wondered why it was so hard for her friend.

“The Griffon Empire? He does realize that he will need many passes to enter their territory?”

“He is a dragon, Blueblood, thus immune to those requirements.” She did an internal eye roll. Honestly, a ruler who can't even recall the simplest of things?

Blueblood smiled a small smile at the lack of title she gave him. Maybe one day…

“Ah yes, I’d forgotten. So do you know where Twilight is?”

“I’m afraid I do not.”

“Do you know what she is doing with that feather?”

“I believe the poor darling simply misses the Princesses. They were very close.”

“A bit extreme, don’t you think?”

“Grief can do that to a pony.”

“You speak as if from experience, my dear.”

“That is none of your business,” She said sharply, sorrow stabbing her chest.

“Of course. You may go.” I wonder what happened?

“Might I ask what is happening with Applejack?”

“She is staying in a cell for the time being. She seems to be withholding information.”

“I see. How long must she stay here?” Poor Applejack.

“Hopefully she will be allowed to go as soon as she gives the information.”

Like that would happen. “Then will you send some ponies down to help with her farm? It is the harvesting season.”

“Why would I do that? She is a prisoner; not a guest.”

“Would you leave the harvest of the entire Sweet Apple Acres orchard to one stallion, an old mare, and a child that has not even gained her mark yet?” she asked, letting a little of her scorn seep into her voice.

“And why won’t they hire help themselves?”

“They have pride and little money.”

“I shall think about it. Do not get your hopes up, though.” Rarity, why must you make me do these things?

“Do so. Goodbye.”

His eyes followed her as she left the room.

Ah my sweet, dear Rarity. When will you care for me once more?

He said to the pony on the other side of the glass without looking away from the door, “What do you think?”

He heard a voice through his earpiece.

Something is wrong. She was controlling her reflexes. The story about the dragon was most likely a ruse.

“Do you think she is with the agency?” Damn you if you are, Rarity.

Who knows, I would say she most probably is. But to have one of the Elements in their agency? That is dangerous on both sides, Your Majesty.

“Send a team to watch her, Reader. This is becoming complicated. In fact, watch all of them. I want full reports on my desk every day.”

Yes, Your Highness.

“Call in Pinkie Pie.”

~~~

“Take her out! I cannot deal with this anymore!” the King yelled as his head throbbed from the constant stream of squeaks coming from the pony in front of him rambling about cupcakes and cherries.

~~~

“Miss Fluttershy, don’t be so nervous, I don’t bite.” Holding an ice pack to his head, he hoped dearly that this would be worthwhile. Too early in the morning. Damn you, Sparkle.

“Sorry,” the trembling pegasus said as she took her seat.

“So, do you know what has happened?”

“Y-yes. My friends told me.”

“Please tell me everything you know. Do you where Twilight and her dragon are?”

“N-no, Your Highness.”

“Do you know why she stole the feather? What does she want with it?”

“I really can’t say. S-she never told me anything.”

“Please tell me, Fluttershy. I need to know.”

“I don’t know!”

She’s been wiped!.”

“I’ll ask once more. Please tell me, I don’t want to have to keep you and Applejack here.”

“I-I don’t know why she did it!”

“I’m afraid you will have to join Applejack then.”

Fluttershy froze in terror, her eyes wide as she stared at the king before her. I-I'm going to prison?!

Her vision darkening, she fell over, the muffled cries of concern swimming in her head.

~~~

The king stared at the limp Fluttershy dangling in a pegasus guards forelegs as he flew to the clinic.

Once she was out of the door he asked Reader, "Did she faint or was that magic?"

"Fainting for sure, Your Highness. I've never seen such a nervous mare before."

Blueblood sighed. The headache was only becoming worse and he did not want to have to deal with Twilight's family and Discord.

Oh how he despised that god, he was the only one in Equestria that could take his throne away from him, he counted himself lucky that the freak hadn't already, he'd be powerless to stop him. There is nothing that can be done about it. I just hope that he stays in the background. Celestia knows that nopony would lift a hoof to help me against him.

The throbbing in his head doubled as he said, "Bring Discord in."

This was going to be-

Blueblood would never admit this to anypony but when the God of Chaos floated in, he nearly pissed himself.

Discord did not look happy, at all.

He hopped off his cloud and strode to the desk, each step leaving cracked prints in the ground. Lightning swirled about him and everywhere else in the room darkened considerably.

The fury in his eyes were clear, a glare plastered on his face.

Blueblood pissed himself.

Is this the end?! Is this the end of the reign of the great King?! The First King of Equestria, nephew to the Alicorn Princesses themselves? What stories will they tell? How many statues in my likeliness will there be?!

"Why have you imprisoned my friend?" Discord asked, voice dangerously low.

"S-she-" Gulping he thought, DAMNIT this is the worst day of my life! "-She withheld valuable information, I must-"

"And how would you know if she hasn't told you?"

"Body language can be read, Discord." He was trying very hard to regain his calm, but calm wasn't on his side, not today.

"And what was read?" he said, still speaking softly, the glare ever present.

"Don't tell, he might be the one who did it, Your Highness!"

"I can hear you, you know." Discord said as he grew another head that faced the 'wall' and shot a glower at the pony inside.

Reader had never been so terrified in his life, he could almost feel pain from the stare that bore into his eyes.

"Enough of this, Discord! What do you want?" He failed miserably at trying to sound collected.

"What I demand is an apology for wrongly accusing my friends; Fluttershy and Applejack, and for them to be released." He had both of his heads focused solely on the prince.

"Reader. Apologize." Blueblood kept staring at Discord as he said it, not daring for a second to look away.

"Huh?! Why me?!"

"You were reading them, nitwit!"

"Blueblood, I want you to apologize. Immediately." If Discord wasn't in such a sour mood, he would be enjoying himself immensely at toying with the colt.

"Me? You are insane to think that I would ever do something so-"

"I have been told that often. But think on it again, foal. I have ripped the heads of countless like you, and I never broke a sweat once. But I haven't worked out in a while, so shall we see if I am out of shape?"

"I apologize!" he squeaked, too intimidated to be ashamed at apologizing like a filly.

"And releasing them?"

"I can't do that." He started to regain some composure.

"Why not?"

"We are conducting investigations, Discord. We need that information. Surely you know that?"

"Yes I do. I am just upset is all, surely"- lightning burnt the table to a crisp- "you realize that?"

"Indeed... would you be willing to help me get the information out of them?"

"Do I look like I want to?"

"Ah, no, alright, I'll have them set free in a moment."

Discord's clouds disappeared and a rainbow lit up the room. He turned and hopped onto his scooter.

"But first, I need to ask you if you have any information."

He turned and raised an eyebrow at the prince with an ice pack on his head dripping water onto him, a suspicious looking puddle under his flank, and some ash from the table covering him. He must be either extremely brave or immensely stupid.

I pick the latter! a voice in his head said.

Murmurs of agreement echoed in his brain.

"Do you know of Twilight's location?"

"No."

"Spike's?"

"No, and I also don't know the answer to the many other bucking questions you have. Good night!"

"But it's morning."

He stopped and snapped his fingers. "Now it's not."

"Fix it immediately!"

He stuck his tongue out at him and painted himself red and chewed on a stalk while saying, "Eenope."

And with a burst of fireworks, he was gone.

"You must have a screw lose, Your Highness."

"SHUT UP!"

Comments ( 1 )

I enjoyed this chapter immensely!

Login or register to comment