• Published 17th Jul 2014
  • 6,096 Views, 473 Comments

Trixie and Maud: Heart of Stone - TheCrimsonDM



Trixie Lulamoon has led a hard life, especially after the events of her magic duel with Twilight Sparkle. Now trying to piece herself back together, can she learn the meaning of friendship from her first real friend, Maud Pie?

  • ...
30
 473
 6,096

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter One Hundred and Five: Of Dragons and Ponies

HEART OF STONE

Chapter One Hundred and Five: Of Dragons and Ponies

Written by TheCrimsonDM

Between organizing the gifts for Twilight, and Rainbow Dash lounging around the house, the day went by pretty quickly. According to what Rainbow Dash had said, Twilight Sparkle was being released from the hospital that day, although she was going to be staying one of her friends until she was well enough to take care of herself again. Apparently she had chosen to leave the hospital early, but Trixie couldn’t really blame her. Hospitals were not fun places to stay in.

The sun was just starting to set in the sky when Maud called Trixie into the living room. Her leg was still hurt but at least she wasn’t limping anymore. She found Maud sitting on the couch and looking at a pile of letters. On top of them was a was a blue and gray card.

Trixie took a seat next to Maud and levitated the card up.

You are hereby invited to wedding of Trixie Lulamoon and Maud Pie…”

She stopped at reading the first line, and looked over at Maud. The invitation looked nice, and everything, but they hadn’t exactly talked much about who to invite to the wedding so this was a bit of a trip for her.

“Do you like it?” Maud asked.

“Yes I do. Who are we inviting though?” Trixie asked.

“Who do you want to invite?” Maud asked.

“Um… well we need to invite our close friends. So Twilight, Applejack, Rainbow Dash, etc. We also need to invite my mom, and if it’s at all possible I’d love to invite Gear Dasher and his son. Oh there is also Timequill. Hmm… the princesses would be a nice invite. Could we also send one to Shiny and his wife?” Trixie said.

“Okay, but we are sending this one to Fluttershy,” Maud said as she slipped another card over to Trixie.

It looked the same as the others except that for its text.

You are hereby uninvited to the wedding of-“

Trixie stopped there and let out a sigh. Of course Maud would send want to send something like this to Fluttershy. It seemed like there was just no way to patch up the damage that had been done between those two. She slid the letter inside her jacket’s pocket, and quickly pushed away the thought of burning it.

“If we don’t invite Fluttershy, your sister won’t show up. I know how much you dislike-“ Trixie said.

“Hate,” Maud corrected.

“Hate her, but you can’t keep this up if you expect to keep Pinkie Pie close to you. Pinkie’s having a hard time as it is with a few personal things, the last thing she needs is for you to go and hurt her romantic interest. Can’t you… forgive Fluttershy?” Trixie asked.

Maud gave Trixie a flat stare.

“You know she was only half way to blame, the other half is all on me. So if you're going to hate her, you…” Trixie stopped herself short. You should probably hate me too.

“She was using you, and toying with your heart. You made a mistake, and that I can forgive, but she was personally trying to destroy us. I can’t let that go,” Maud said.

Trixie nodded. Of course she understood how Maud felt, even if it was really hard to actually hate Fluttershy, Trixie could understand. “But your hatred is going to cost you a sister. Can’t you, I don’t know, let the past stay in the past or something. I’m not saying that you have to be friends with her, just stop hating her and being mean to her.”

Maud looked away. “I’ll think about that… do you really think Pinkie Pie would refuse to join if we didn’t invite Fluttershy?”

“I don’t think we can take the chance,” Trixie said.

Things were quiet between them for a bit before Maud finally said, “Okay. I’ll invite her too. I invited my family after all, and they’ve disowned me.”

“I’m proud of you for that. I know how hard that must have been,” Trixie said with a smile.

Maud looked over at Trixie and gave her the tiniest smile. “Thanks.”

Rainbow Dash flew into the living room, and sat down on the couch across from them before sticking her legs atop of the table. She stretched out and yawned. “Today’s been a busy day.”

“You’ve been lying around here doing nothing all day, how in Equestria can you be tired?” Trixie asked, glaring at the hooves touching her table.

“Hey, trying to stay awake to watch somepony is hard work. Usually I’d have taken a half dozen naps by now,” Rainbow Dash said.

Maud collected all the letters, and began to write out addresses and names. While Trixie leaned back and stared up at the ceiling. When Maud was all done she put the letters into a small tote bag and looked at Rainbow Dash.

“Can you drop these off at the post office real quick?” Maud asked.

“Quick you say? I can do quick. In fact, they call me Speedy Delivery, because of how fast I am,” Rainbow Dash said proudly.

“So you deliver pizza?” Trixie asked.

Rainbow Dash laughed. “Uh, maybe they don’t call me that.”

“Too late, your Pizza Dash to me now,” Trixie said with a smile.

“No, not that. Come on, I deserve a cooler nickname than that!” Rainbow Dash complained.

Maud gave a particular letter to Rainbow Dash. “This is for you.”

“Oh cool!” Rainbow Dash said. She tore open the letter like a present on Hearth's Warming Day. She read the letter to herself for a moment, and her eyes slowly widened as she looked up at Maud. “Legit, you two actually set the date? That’s awesome!” she looked down at the bag and smiled. “Oh, I get it. Those are all the invites! Okay, I’ll be back in a dash, a Rainbow Dash!”

Before Trixie even had the chance to face hoof, Rainbow Dash had leapt out of the couch, bag in mouth and flew out the door. It only took a few moments before Trixie looked over at Maud and asked, “Why?”

“She was making a mess of our house. I’m beginning to think putting her on watch was a mistake,” Maud said flatly.

“No not that… though that makes sense too. I mean her hooves were on my table!” Trixie exclaimed. “No I meant, why does she think it’s okay to make her name into a catchphrase?”

“It sounded cool,” Maud said.

“No… just no…” Trixie said as she stood up.

Just as she did though, there was a knock from the front door. Trixie wasted no time in trotting with a slight limp over to the door. Her heart raced as she felt the presence of magic just behind it, it had to be her. for a moment she stopped, and considered just how excited she was to see her again, had they actually gotten that close or was this due to the fact that she made a brave sacrifice in order to save Valiant? Either way she opened the door.

Twilight Sparkle stood on the other side, with Spike on one side and Rarity on the other.

“Twilight, how are you doing?” Trixie asked.

“I’m out of the hospital now. I’m doing a whole lot better. Still having trouble walking, and my head hurts when I use magic, but otherwise I’m okay,” Twilight said. She took a wobbly step forward and fell to the side, thankfully Rarity was there to brace her friend.

“She refused to let us use a wheelchair to bring her here, she wouldn’t even let Spike carry her,” Rarity said.

“I can do it. See I’m already at Trixie’s house,” Twilight said. For a moment she stared at Trixie with a confused look in her eye. “Hi, Trixie.”

“Um… hello, Twilight,” Trixie replied.

“I’m out of the hospital now. I’m doing a whole lot better. Still having trouble walking, and my head hurts when I use magic, but otherwise I’m okay,” Twilight said.

“Did you just repeat yourself?” Trixie asked.

“No,” Twilight said with another confused look.

Oh, Celestia no, she’s… broken.

Rarity must have seen the fearful look in Trixie’s eyes because she immediately said, “It’s okay, Trixie. she’s got a concussion, but she’ll be better soon. She’s done this before.”

That made Trixie feel instantly better. She’d already lost a mom once due to insanity, the last thing she needed was to lose a good friend because of whatever Twilight did to herself. Twilight shivered a little bit and looked around as if she was misplaced. Trixie suddenly remembered that she was the host and mentally slapped herself.

Trixie stepped to the side. “Please come in, you don’t need to be out in the cold.”

The trio walked in just in time too, as clumps of snow began falling from the sky. The sky was growing dark, and the wind picked up a little. With Rainbow Dash gone, Trixie was feeling a bit worried about the weather. She had to trust that a weather pony would know her way about a snowstorm. she shut the door behind her friends.

They brought Twilight into the living room, and sat her down on the couch where she rested her head and stared at the books on the wall. her eyes lit up as if something important struck her.

“Spike, I need you to go home and get my copy of Starswirl’s Monster,” Twilight said.

“Um… okay. Where did you put it?” Spike asked.

“It’s in the kitchen with my copies of Celestia’s Error and Luna’s Regret,” Twilight said. “Actually on second thought bring the whole trilogy, I need to give them to Rainbow Dash.”

Spike scratched the back of his head. “Didn’t you do that… a few years ago?”

“Oh… yeah. I did, didn’t I?” Twilight said as if she was considering whether she actually did.

“You have something for Twilight?” Rarity asked.

Trixie nodded and disappeared for a moment into her room. When she came out, four huge saddlebags floated next to her, held aloft by her purple aura. She set them down within hoof’s reach of Twilight. the alicorn stared at her with a strange expression.

“I found a whole bunch of Starswirl the Bearded’s stuff. I thought that you would like to have it,” Trixie explained.

The smile that grew on Twilight’s lips was that of pure joy. She looked down at the bags and began digging through the nearest one with a hoof. She pulled out a dusty old journal and stared at it with excited eyes. slowly she leaned in, and sniffed it. her smile grew.

“I love the smell of old books,” Twilight said. “Thank you, Trixie.”

“No problem,” Trixie said.

“I have a question,” Twilight said.

“What is it?”

Twilight stared at Trixie in silence. Slowly the smile disappeared from her lips and she was left there frowning, she looked around, her eyes a little fearful and her lip twitching. Spike rested a hand on Twilight’s back, and she relaxed a little.

“I… I came here for some reason. A really important one. I don’t remember what it was though. Somepony… I… I wanted…” Twilight said. She laid her head down and used the book as a pillow.

“You wanted to know if Valiant Heart was okay,” Spike said slowly, there was the sound of love mixed with an unmistakable fear in his voice. This reminded Trixie of when she was a kid, she was once in Spike’s shoes trying to explain to her mom that everything was perfectly fine. Trixie’s eyes stung a little at the memory.

“Is she?” Twilight asked. “She’s the filly we saved, right?”

Trixie nodded over to the corner of the room. A series of empty boxes had been set up into a makeshift fort, and just as Twilight looked over a tiny red headed filly peeked out of the top and looked at her with a single pink eye. Twilight waved, and Valiant waved back. Then she was gone, back into her secret fort.

“Why does she have an eyepatch?” Twilight asked.

“She’s blind in one eye,” Trixie explained.

“Oh… but um… wait that’s not a question,” Twilight said to herself.

Rarity rubbed a hoof at her nose. “Darling, do you have any tissue? I’ve been having nose problems all day.”

“Not my fault,” Spike said quickly his face turning a bit pink.

“Spike, we already cleaned it out of my nose. Of course it isn’t your fault,” Rarity said with a slight redness to her cheeks. “I know you're still new to this, but come… ah… ah”

Trixie quickly looked around, saw a box of tissues on the kitchen table and grabbed them with her telekinesis. She’d already seen what this pony can do with her spit, last thing she wanted to see was how far she could rocket snot across her living room. The box of tissues flew towards the table and landed right in front of Rarity.

With Rarity’s face contorted in a look of horror and anguish she quickly reached out with a hoof and grabbed a hooful of tissue and brought it to her nose.

“AH-CHOO!”

much to Trixie’s surprise, a jet of flame licked out of Rarity’s mouth, incinerating the tissues.

Everypony stared in complete silence at Rarity as she wiped her nose with a hoof and stared down at the singe marks on the table. For the longest time nopony made a single sound, the only noise was the occasional sniffle coming from Rarity as she stared with mismatched eyes at the table. One of her eyes was the perfect normal pony eye that it always was, the other had a lizard's pupil.

Twilight sat straight up, and stared at her two friends. “Did you just sneeze fire, or am I seeing things again?”

“She sneezed fire,” Spike said.

“I sneezed fire,” Rarity mumbled.

For a moment Twilight stared at them, then she stared at the floor. “Unicorn’s can take a fiery appearance if they use a certain brand of magic which is powered by strong emotions. Such as anger. But that only changes what your mane and tail and eyes look like.”

Twilight crawled over Spike, and pushed Rarity onto her back. She pried Rarity’s eye open with her hooves and stared into it. Then she did the same to Rarity’s mouth, and Trixie saw a few razor sharp teeth.

“All the signs are here. You have a draconic eye, breath fire, and have sharp teeth. The only thing left to check is the womb to see if your going to lay eggs,” Twilight explained. She began moving towards Rarity’s lower half, but was stopped as Spike effortlessly picked her up.

“What are you doing?” Twilight asked. “I have to find out if Rarity’s been mutated!”

“M-mutated?” Rarity asked fearfully.

“Yes. You see I’ve been doing research into dragons, and it turns out that dragon dna is mutative. The most potent form of it comes from their sexual fluids. So if you’re womb has been changed, you’ll be laying a clutch of eggs from now on. This could be upsetting for you,” Twilight explained.

Rarity’s eyes widened in horror. “You mean… I’ve been mutated!”

“Yes, your part dragon now,” Twilight said. She wiggled her legs a little in the air, looked down and for the first time seemed to realize that Spike was holding her. “I just don’t understand how this could happen. You would have to have been copulating with a dragon in order to change. I mean it is a good idea for becoming very powerful very quickly, and for solving any pesky infertility issues you might have had. Dragons can breed with anything after all. That said, I’ve never looked too hard into how to accomplish this considering the only dragon around is Spike…”

Rarity quickly got up off the couch and began trotting away. “Well, I’m late for a dinner date with, Rainbowjack.”

“HOLD IT!” Twilight shouted, her horn lit up with a baleful red light as Rarity was surrounded in its aura. “You… could only have changed by breeding with a dragon. The only dragon in town who isn’t gay or going to kill you is Spike.”

Her next words came out soaked with venom. “Have you been screwing my dragon?”

Trixie could tell that if Rarity was incapable of movement because she should have been shaking in her boots. All the unicorn could do was move her eyes and look back at Twilight. Tears ran down Rarity’s face, ruining her makeup. Concussion or no, Twilight was still one of the scariest mares alive when she was pissed.

“Twilight,” Rarity said in a pleading voice. “A-are… you going to hurt me?”

Twilight snarled. “Only if you lie to me.”

Rarity sniffled. “I love him. I love Spike. I couldn’t be with him when he was small because it felt weird, so I… I helped him get a hoard together. I didn’t realize how handsome he would become and, and, please don’t hurt me.”

Twilight looked over at Spike who was still holding her up, but staring fearfully at her. Twilight growled. “So while I was in the hospital, and she was supposed to be watching you… you… you have been getting laid?”

Spike gulped.

“Set me down,” Twilight said.

“But-“ Spike protested.

“DO IT!”

Carefully, Spike set Twilight on the ground. For a moment Twilight stood there glaring at both Rarity and Spike, then she collapsed and her aura vanished along with her spell. She lay on the floor, trying fruitlessly to stand. Spike reached out with a paw to help her, but she flailed a hoof at him, it missed. So she bit him instead.

“Ow,” he cried as his hand retreated. “What the hay? I was just trying to help you.”

“Even if I can’t remember how to walk right now, the last thing I want is your help. I can’t believe you two. Why didn’t you two just tell me what you were doing?” Twilight asked, the anger in her voice was quickly being replaced by hurt.

“You threatened to take away my hoard, and if you did that I wouldn’t have Rarity anymore,” Spike said.

Rarity hid behind the wall, and stared at Twilight. “I thought you would be angry, and I was right.”

Twilight just laid still, closed her eyes and refused to move. Trixie stood up, she was about to go to Twilight’s side and help her friend, when a horrible thunderous noise roared over the house. a deep silence filled the house, not even a single breath could penetrate it. Everypony looked at each other, fear and confusion in their eyes, everypony save for Trixie.

Trixie walked over to the front door. Her heart was racing, and her mind was numb. She remembered the cry, she remembered the fear, and she knew that without Twilight’s help everything was about to fall to pieces.

Trixie opened the front door, the cold didn’t bother her as she always wore a jacket to hide her wings.

Through the cold, thick snow, she could make out the shape of a giant luminescent bear. A second roar sounded as the monster raised up on it’s hind legs, and slammed its paws down into something just out of sight. the earth shook and Trixie had to grab hold of the door frame to keep from falling.

Twilight was down, Fluttershy was who knows where with Pinkie, and Rainbow Dash wasn’t here. Missing their heavy hitters, everything had become hopeless.

“What is that?” Rarity asked.

Trixie replied with an even flat tone, “That’s the Ursa Minor.”

PreviousChapters Next