• Published 17th Jul 2014
  • 6,096 Views, 473 Comments

Trixie and Maud: Heart of Stone - TheCrimsonDM



Trixie Lulamoon has led a hard life, especially after the events of her magic duel with Twilight Sparkle. Now trying to piece herself back together, can she learn the meaning of friendship from her first real friend, Maud Pie?

  • ...
30
 473
 6,096

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter One Hundred and Eleven: Winter Moon Celebration

Heart of Stone

Chapter one Hundred and Eleven: Winter Moon Celebration

Written by TheCrimsonDM

Trixie walked through the vibrant grass, marveling at the golden flowers. Just this afternoon they had been but little buds, now they were bright blooming stars on the ground. She leaned next to one and took a sniff. They smelled an awful lot like honeysuckles. She bit into one, and the flavor was incredibly sweet.

“Do you like the flowers?” Maud asked.

Trixie stood up straight. “I love them!”

“I thought they were too sweet,” Maud said flatly. “Do you want to see something else?”

Trixie nodded, then took a look at Valiant. Upon seeing the filly alert and awake, she felt invigorated to explore more. “Let’s go.”

Maud led them through the meadow, and that’s when Trixie noticed that there were a lot more ponies out now. Although there were a few earth ponies and unicorn out and about, what she really marveled at were all the different bat ponies flying through the sky. She had never seen more than a couple of them at any one time before, and they were always wearing that dinky armor. Now she was seeing them, everywhere, and free from any such restraints.

A small batpony flew down and landed just in front of them. She was a little smaller than Trixie, and had a bright blue mane and tail to complement her gray fur. Two violet eyes glistened in the dark as she stared at them with a bright, sharp toothed smile.

Bat ponies have fangs, okay, I’ll need to make a note of that.

“Maudie? What are you doing here?” the mare said in a high pitched joyful tone.

“I’m on my honeymoon,” Maud said flatly. She nodded toward Trixie. “This is my wife, Trixie Lulamoon. On my back is our adopted daughter, Valiant Heart.”

The mare let out a high pitched shriek that would give Pinkie Pie a run for her money. “YOU GOT MARRIED! I mean you told me about this last time, but it’s still, like, you know, the sweetest thing ever.”

Trixie waved a hoof. “It’s nice to meet you as well. Since you already know our names, do you mind telling us yours?”

“Me?” The mare said while pointing to herself. “I’m Elizabat. I just can’t believe that you two got ka-joinked. It’s so cute!”

“Ka- what now?” Trixie asked.

“She speaks weird,” Maud said flatly.

“I don’t speak weird, I speak cute! It’s my first language. Tells ya what, you two should stick around, we’re ‘bout to have a party!” Elizabat said.

A batpony party, now that sounded like a lot of fun. Trixie wasn’t at all sure how late she could stay awake, but if she got to have fun, it would be well worth it.

“Do you want to stay for a party?” Trixie asked Maud and Valiant.

Valiant gave a short nod.

“It sounds like fun,” Maud said dryly. “I’m all about fun.”

Trixie had to fight off a giggle. Only Maud could say the word fun, as though it was the most boring text book word there could be.

Elizabat leapt into the air, flapped her leathery wings twice and took off while screeching, “IT’S GOING TO BE A BLAST!”

***


You know, a half hour ago when Trixie heard that the party was going to be a blast. She thought the mare was just enthusiastic and making a metaphor. She did not however expect the mare to be speaking literally. So here Trixie stood, besides her wife and daughter, watching a bunch of bat ponies lined up in front of a series of wooden posts. Each post had a watermelon on top of it, and the competitors each faced one of the posts.

Much to Trixie’s surprise, Luna had shown up only a few minutes into the party with two mare guards at her side. They stood on a podium. One of them was bright blue, the other was dark blue, but through the crowd it was hard to make out any more details. With Luna in the middle of them, they looked like a gradient scale, missing a few shades of course.

“Welcome one and all to this year’s Winter Moon Celebration. We are overjoyed to be welcomed back with such love and adoration,” Luna said to the assembled crowd. “For far too long, batponies have had to celebrate this day without your princess, but that is no longer the case. We are here, and will be here for you my fellow creatures of the night, to party, to laugh, and to welcome all into our warm and dark embrace. Now, We say let the games begin!”

With those words out of the way, Trixie watched as some pony raised a white flag. The contestants straightened up, lowered their heads and stared with determination at the watermelons. The flag pony swung the flag down, and Luna shouted, “Shriek!”

Much to Trixie’s surprise, the bat pony contestants all let out a terribly high pitched shriek at once. She couldn’t see it, so much as feel the air shift around them as they continued to scream at high pitched volumes. The watermelons began to wobble a little, and she couldn’t look away as slowly, one by one the watermelons began to crack. Before even a full minute had passed one of the watermelons exploded on the spot and a sharp cry was heard above the rest.

The contestants all stopped, to look at the one who had succeeded in destroying the watermelon. It was none other than Elizabat herself who had done it. Her smile was bright enough to light up the town by itself.

Luna stood and chuckled. “Come here contestant and tell me your name.” the bright blue guard bumped a shoulder into Luna and she quickly shook her head. “I mean, come hither and tell us thy name.” She then whispered something to guard and let out a sigh. The guard flashed a familiar grin.

Elizabat walked forward and bowed. “Thank you my princess. I am Elizabat.”

Luna’s smile grew. “Elizabat? We adore that name. Please come and sit with us, thou have earned the right.”

Elizabat took off in a giddy flight and landed next to Princess Luna. The look that Elizabat had in her eyes was very similar to the way that Twilight used to look at Princess Celestia. Luna must have been her hero, but as Trixie looked around she noted that quite a number of batponies had the same look. Luna might have been a hero to all of them. The differences between here and Ponyville were literally night and day.

A little later, after the games were over Trixie and her family found their way to a small restaurant. Although she wasn’t too hungry after dinner with Bookworm and Deedee, Valiant was. Trixie skimmed through the menu, a lot of it she wasn’t familiar with. She decided in the end to defer to Maud’s opinion.

“Do not order anything on the red menu,” Maud said.

“Why? I mean I’ve never seen such vegetables. Grilled steak, patty, and shish kabob all sound interesting,” Trixie said.

“It’s meat,” Maud said flatly.

“But… that’s what diamond dogs eat. Not ponies,” Trixie stated.

“Bat ponies are closer to being omnivores than we are. Trust me, you won’t like it… or if you do, you’ll never forgive yourself when you ask who it was made from,” Maud said.

A hard lump formed inside Trixie’s throat, and she had to swallow it before she could ask, “Do… do they eat,” She leaned in and asked the last word in a mere whisper, “Ponies?”

Several bat ponies turned toward her with angry looks, leaving her to wonder if they had increased hearing. Maud however laughed. “No. They eat pig, chicken, sometimes cow. Yes they eat meat, but they are not cannibals, Lulu.”

“Oh…” Trixie said. She remembered the diamond dog she had met that had butchered those pour cattle. “I don’t mind the idea of pigs so much… but cows don’t deserve that, do they?”

“I don’t know the specifics,” Maud said.

Trixie looked back at the menu. The white menu was off limits as well with things like, chicken fingers on the list. She didn’t even know that chickens had fingers, but she could not fathom eating them. Various forms of fish were on that section as well. She flipped the page and found a green menu.

“How’s the mushroom soup?” Trixie asked.

“It’s made from the glowing mushrooms,” Maud said.

“That sounds neat,” Trixie said.

“It will make your urine glow,” Maud explained.

Valiant’s ears perked up at that one, and she giggled. Trixie fought down her own laugh. Even though she’d never admit it to Maud, the idea of glowing pee was actually pretty cool. For reasons of self respect though she decided against it.

When the waiter finally came by, Maud took everypony’s order. “I’ll take a bowl of flower petals, she will take the Moon Flower sandwich.” Maud looked down at Valiant’s menu and saw where the filly was pointing. “She’ll have the… grilled salmon.”

The waiter nodded and left, promising to bring the food out swiftly. Trixie couldn’t believe that Valiant actually wanted to try and eat the fish, then again, she did like sushi. Since they were waiting for food anyway, Trixie thought it best to ask some of the questions she had then.

“Do you know a lot about this town?” Trixie asked.

“A little bit,” Maud said. “I was too busy studying rocks last time I was here.”

“It’s just that I noticed all the batponies really respect Luna. I remember that batponies used to be very… private until after Luna returned. Then they joined the royal guard and now they stay close to Luna wherever she goes. There has to be a reason for that, right?” Trixie said.

“Perhaps they don’t like Celestia,” Maud suggested.

“Why not?” Trixie asked.

“What has she done for them? She’s a princess of the sun, of light. Luna is a princess of night, of darkness. Bat ponies are creatures of the night,” Maud said.

“I mean I know that history was not my favorite subject in school, so maybe I’m missing something?” Trixie said.

A strict and rough sounding mare spoke from behind Trixie. “Yes, you are.”

Trixie turned to see the dark blue guard who was previously standing at Luna’s side. The mare’s helmet actually covered her eyes, and side of her face leaving only her muzzle visible. It was nice when the mare reached up with her blue leathery wings and removed the helmet. Navy blue fur fell to either side of the mare’s face, and two maroon eyes stared down at Trixie.

“I’m commander Nightshade. It’s my pleasure to meet you, Princess Trixie Lulamoon. I have been ordered to stay by your side and to keep you safe during your visit. You are after all, one of Princess Luna’s friends,” she said.

“I… I don’t need a guard. I’m just here with my family,” Trixie said.

“That’s exactly why you need one. I will not be a bother; in fact you will hardly know I am here. The only reason you know now, is because I was to report to you in person,” Nightshade said.

I guess I’m not getting out of this one. Trixie tried to relax, and decided that if she was stuck with a bodyguard she might as well take this opportunity to learn about the bat ponies. “Tell me, what am I missing?”

“We bat ponies do not fall under Princess Celestia’s command. We have always pledged ourselves to Princess Luna, it was a dark time when the true princess went missing from our world,” Nightshade said.

“True princess?” Trixie asked.

“The rightful ruler of Equestria, Princess Luna. The Harold of night, kin of the dark, mother of the lost and broken; have you really not heard of any of these titles?” Nightshade asked. Trixie shook her head. Nightshade frowned. “There is one title you may know. Dreamweaver, or as the sun lovers call her, Nightmare Moon.”

Trixie stood instantly. “Dreamweaver!”

“Yes, the one who rules over the world of dreams, and offers only her deepest love and friendship,” Nightshade said, she raised an eyebrow. “Have you heard of that one?”

“I have met her! and I can tell you, she is no Nightmare Moon,” Trixie said.

“But she is, she is the kind half of the being you refer to as Nightmare Moon. Whereas Nightmare Moon was born from the deepest horrors of our Princess, Dreamweaver was born from the most loving and sweet dreams she had. Both of them look over us, the creatures of dark, and only appear to us. If you have indeed met her, than you have claim to kinship with us,” Nightshade explained.

Trixie didn’t want to sit down, but seeing all the eyes of batponies staring at her, most of them shocked or surprised, it was too much for her. She sat down, and was thankful when the waiter returned with their meals. Before she could even get to eating however, she began to hear the whispered hisses at the tables around them. She couldn’t make out what was being said, but once she reached out mentally she could feel the ponies curiosity in her.

“So, Nightmare Moon is the mare who creates nightmares and stuff, right?” Trixie asked. Nightshade nodded. “Dreamweaver creates the happy dreams we have?” Another nod. “Than what about the Nightmare Spirits?”

“Those are a… new discovery. Dream scholars claim that may be some kind of parasite, or demon, clearly created by Lord Tirek in an attempt to corrupt ponies,” Nightshade said in a tone that brokered no debate on the subject.

“And uh… where does Luna fit into all this?” Trixie asked trying to get away from any topics involving the king of demons.

“She is the bridge between the two, and the physical form of all that lies in the world of dreams. It is said that Luna herself is the only one who can aid those having troubled dreams, the kind of which are influenced by negative emotions or turmoil. Dreamweaver is unable to change things, but she has been known to grant visions of the future, and Nightmare Moon cannot change you, but she can show you the evil inside your heart.

“For many years now, our dream scholars have tried to decipher many visions from all three. We have considerable knowledge in that field. I can only say this though, whatever Dreamweaver chose to show you, or speak to you about, you need to take it to heart. It will be important,” Nightshade said.

The memories of that dream from so long ago came flooding back. The reunion with her old school friends, and then the final act of Red Velvet’s plot to save the alicorns. She remembered how hot Celestia’s flames were, as she was engulfed in her rage. Was Dreamweaver truly trying to warn her that she was in danger of dying if she aided Red Velvet, or was there more to this than she realized?

“Are you going to eat?” Maud asked.

Trixie looked down at her plate. The sandwich looked good. She then saw Valiant eating… what could only be described as a mutilated carcass of a defenseless creature. Watching the little filly tear into it, and devour the thing was sickening. The worst part was the fact that the grilled salmon smelled like heaven on Equestria. Trixie decided to quietly eat her sandwich, and try as hard as she could to not imagine it was fish, delectable smelling fish.

Sometime during the meal, true to her word, Nightshade vanished from sight. If she was still watching them, Trixie wouldn’t be able to tell. She reached out with her mind, and even the elusive batpony was unable to hide from that. She sensed Nightshade’s hard and direct presence from thirty feet away. When Trixie looked in that direction she saw nothing, but she knew that the guard was there.

After the meal was over, Maud signed a few numbers on a check and paid for the meal. It was odd seeing Maud pay with a check, for all Trixie knew neither of them actually had a checking account.

“When did you start using checks?” Trixie asked.

“After I signed some paperwork. Twilight was insistent on it getting signed sooner rather than later,” Maud said.

“So… you have a back account?” Trixie asked.

“No, we have a bank account, or rather you have a bank account that we share,” Maud explained.

“Since when did I get one? I never trusted banks enough to open one,” Trixie said.

“While you were in your coma I had to sign some paperwork for you. This account is your princess money,” Maud said. “Signing the paperwork was hard.”

“I’m sorry,” Trixie said lamely. “At least we know that we have princess money. So how much is on it?”

“I’m not telling you,” Maud said flatly.

“It’s my account,” Trixie said.

“It will make you feel bad if you knew how much is on it. We have more than enough, and I think it should stay at that,” Maud said flatly. Under her breath she muttered, “Enough to buy a small island with.”

That made Trixie a little nervous. A small island…

“You said you had to sign paperwork?” Trixie said.

“Twilight and Celestia had me sign a basic agreement. You will accept your role as a princess of Equestria, you won’t abuse your power and stature, and you will stay loyal to Princess Celestia,” Maud explained.

“Can you even do that? sign an agreement in my name?” Trixie asked, feeling a bit underpowered.

“Luna was quite insistent,” Maud said.

Trixie thought about it for a moment.

“Stay loyal to Celestia? What’s that supposed to mean?” Trixie asked. What don’t they trust me?

“You won’t lead any revolts, assault any of the other princesses, or otherwise undermine the stability of the country. When I asked about the last one, they said you would have to be bribing officials, blackmailing or sabotaging the government in order to get into any trouble,” Maud said.

“Why did you ask that?”

“I was afraid that you’re mental health might become a concern. I asked a lot of questions,” Maud said.

Trixie lowered her head. “I’m past all that now.”

“Are you sure?”

She opened her mouth to reply, but couldn’t find the words. It felt like a lie to say she would never sink so low again. It could happen, and she needed to stay alert of that fact. She ended up saying, “I’m doing really good right now, better than I ever have in my whole life. There are so many good things going on, I can’t see myself ever becoming like that again.”

That brought a smile to Maud’s lips. “I agree.”

A wave of exhaustion washed over Trixie, catching her by surprise with a mighty yawn. She became suddenly aware of just how late it was. The lively bat ponies, the bright and colorful lights surrounding her and the festivities had all helped her forget that it was really late.

“What time is it?” Trixie asked as her eyes began growing heavy.

Maud looked at her, and then at the sleeping filly laying on her back. “Past your bedtime.”

Trixie yawned again. “But I don’t have a bedtime.”

As Maud led Trixie back to the library, they passed by a disheveled looking Deedee and a clean Bookworm on the way. Trixie was too tired to try and stay awake any longer, if it wasn’t for Valiant, she would have already climbed onto Maud’s back and gone to sleep. When they got back, she was going to sleep like a rock.

***

Hail poured down like frozen gravel dropping from the heavens. For several long minutes they had been walking through the dense woodland, and out of fear of being seen, they had chosen not to use magic to shield themselves from the sky’s bitter, pelting wrath.

“This isn’t the work of any pegasi,” Wind Rider said as he glanced up at the dark sky.

“Then what is it?” Starfire asked.

“I don’t know,” he replied.

“It’s the windigo,” Red Velvet replied solemnly. “They have a tendency to create storms wherever they go. Creating hail… that would require a powerful windigo. We must stay alert to any signs of danger.”

They continued walking together in silence for awhile after that. Red’s words left a gaping hole in what little bit of safety they could have been feeling. Fear ebbed off of the other ponies and pooled around Trixie like the incoming tide. Sometimes she dearly wished she could not sense other’s emotions.

Thankfully, a white light appeared through the foliage just ahead of them. Trixie felt the spirits of the ponies around her rise a little as hope came back. Their pace quickened. Bushes were pushed aside, branches ducked under, and rocks narrowly avoided as they nearly galloped to the light. Anything to get out of the hailstorm.

They walked through, Trixie was last to enter the clearing. A small meadow stood before them with an old wooden house and a large barn in the back. The front porch’s awning looked like a great shelter from the storm, and so everypony briskly made their way under it. For the moment Trixie decided to take a seat, while Starfire knocked on the front door.

“We’re meeting a friend here, she’ll be willing to give us a ride,” Starfire said. “So be nice to her.”

After a few moments of waiting, the door opened and a turquoise mare stood just behind it with a mane of yellow. She took one look at the assembled ponies before her and frowned. “What the hay, Star? Do I look like some kind of hotel or something? You can’t just bring all your ragtag friends here whenever you find yourself caught in a storm.”

“We’re here on business. I’d like to use Lightning Runner,” Starfire said.

“With four ponies, and a giant one to boot?”

“Yes.”

The mare let out a sigh. “You always have good pay, come inside and we’ll talk. The boys are away right now anyway.”

The mare led the small group inside and the electric lighting flickered a bit. The warmth inside made Trixie feel a lot better. They entered the living room, against the wall sat a few portraits. Two of the portraits showed a pair of unicorn brothers with red manes and tacky facial hair stood on the wall, with a portrait of the mare in between.

The mare took a seat in a rocking chair and watched as the group found a place to sit. Only after everypony got comfortable did the mare cross her legs and speak. “In case she didn’t tell you, my name is Lightning Dust. Welcome to the Inventionous Empirious, or as I like to call it, the Inventors Den. The Flim Flam brothers are out right now, trying out another one of their schemes, but if they were here they would want to tell you about the wonderful inventions that they have made. I don’t care about that, I’m the pilot and all I need to know is what you want.”

“We need safe, and quick passage to the Frozen North,” Starfire said.

Lightning Dust leaned back in her chair and clicked her forehooves together in silence for a moment. Finally she let out a sigh. “What are you offering in return?”

“A second chance,” Starfire said.

“That’s not yours to offer. How could you possibly get me that?” Lightning Dust asked.

“I have a friend, and she’s going to get pretty high up in the chain of command soon. If you get us there, without being caught and you keep this quiet, I will see to it personally that you get your second chance,” Starfire said.

“Not only is it hailing, but you want me to take you all the way to the Frozen North, past the Crystal Empire! And all you have to offer me is some half baked promise of getting a second chance in the future?” Lightning Dust argued. “Do you really think that’s good enough for me?”

Starfire stood up. “I can also give you another piece of tech if it means so much to you.”

“Oh yeah, what do you have to offer?” Lightning Dust asked with a raised eyebrow.

“A communications device, no magic required and it will let you speak with somepony from one end of Equestria to the other. It’s called the telephone,” Starfire said.

Lightning Dust scratched her chin for a moment in quiet contemplation. “You always make good on your promises of new devices that the boys can build, and something better then the telegraph would certainly get us some good funding…”

“Anypony can use it, earth ponies and pegasi included. All you have to do is speak into it, and your voice is heard all the way at the end of the world if need be,” Starfire said.

“Sounds like magic,” Lightning Dust replied.

“That’s what you said about the flying machine.”

Lightning Dust leaned back. “I’m going to regret this, I’m sure, but yeah… I’ll take you. I’m sure that you can keep my ship safe from any pesky windigo we might encounter.”

“Thank you,” Starfire said.

“Don’t thank me just yet. You still owe me a second chance and this so called ‘telephone’.”

PreviousChapters Next