• Published 17th Jul 2014
  • 6,091 Views, 473 Comments

Trixie and Maud: Heart of Stone - TheCrimsonDM



Trixie Lulamoon has led a hard life, especially after the events of her magic duel with Twilight Sparkle. Now trying to piece herself back together, can she learn the meaning of friendship from her first real friend, Maud Pie?

  • ...
30
 473
 6,091

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Thirty Eight: Family of Apples

HEART OF STONE
Chapter Thirty Eight: Family of Apples
Written by TheCrimsonDM


Trixie stared at the portrait for a long time. The young earth pony looked just like her had to be Screw Loose. Trixie wondered if Screw Loose was related to Applejack, and if so that would mean that Trixie was as well.

“Uh, sugarcube, you’ve been looking at that picture for a long while now…is something up?” Applejack asked.

Trixie turned to face her, Maud had finished off the apple pie and was sitting quietly looking satisfied with the finished meal. Applejack stood next to Trixie looking curiously at her. Trixie looked back at the portrait and asked, “who is that blue earth pony?”

Applejack looked at the picture and said, “Ah don’t rightly know. There’s nearly a hundred ponies in that picture, and a lot of them have…passed on. She looks a lot like you though, that’s strange.”

Trixie looked at Applejack again and said, “do you think that’s Screw Loose?”

Applejack looked at the portrait and back to Trixie before saying, “maybe, Ah am related to most everypony in ponyville after all. Ah even found out that I might be related to Pinkie Pie.”

Trixie looked away and asked, “well how do we go about finding out who it is in this portrait. I would like to know for sure.”

Applejack nodded and said, “follow me, Ah will take you to Granny Smith, she knows everypony in our family.”

***

Applejack lead Trixie into the living room, Maud followed close behind them. Trixie looked at the old green mare sitting on a wooden rocking chair, her gray hair was wrapped into a bun. Applejack walked up to her and gave her the portrait saying, “hey Granny, Ah have a question.”

Granny Smith took the picture in between her hooves and examined it for a few seconds. She then looked at Trixie and squinted her eyes. Granny stared at Trixie for a few uncomfortable long seconds. Granny’s eyes opened wide as she said, “Screwy…is that you?”

Trixie sat down and shook her head saying, “Screw Loose is my mother…is that really her in the portrait?”

Granny Smith smiled softly and her eyes began to tear up as she said, “Ah haven’t seen yer mom in near on twenty years now. What’s yer name young’en?”

Trixie cleared her throat before saying, “I’m Trixie Lulamoon.”

Granny Smith’s smile grew and a tear ran down her cheeks as she said, “so my granddaughter’s name is Trixie. Ah’m so glad to finally meet you.”

Trixie couldn’t believe it, how could she be so closely related to Applejack and not know it? How come her mother never spoke of her relatives? Trixie couldn’t stop herself from asking, “how come my mother never spoke of you?”

A sad frown formed on Granny’s mouth as she explained, “yer mother was always so headstrong. She fell in love with a rascal that had a bad reputation here in ponyville, Ah just knew that she was going to get her heart broken. So Ah forbid her from seeing this pony. She didn’t listen of course, but when she got engaged…Ah made one of the greatest mistakes of mah life. Ah told her she would be removed from the family if she went through with it…she loved him too much though. Feelings were hurt and she never spoke to us again. Ah wish Ah could go back in time and change the past, Ah never got to meet you…not formally. If you could stand to forgive an old mare like me, ah would like to git to know you.”

Trixie looked up at Granny Smith, it had never occurred to Trixie that she might have an actual family outside of her mom and dad. A warm filling began growing inside her heart and Trixie smiled saying, “I would love to get to know you.”

This brought a smile from Granny Smith’s face. Maud looked at Trixie and said, “but if Pinkie Pie is related to the Apple family, doesn’t that mean that we’re related too.”

Trixie looked at Maud and felt a cold shiver run down her spine. This was…weird. Applejack quickly said, “now hold on ya’ll, me and Pinkie are so distantly related that what yer worried about shouldn’t even be a concern. Ah mean, even if one of ya’ll was a stallion there wouldn’t be any problems with yer children.”

This made Trixie feel slightly less weird about the whole affair. This wasn’t going to ruin her relationship with Maud, but it could prove slightly awkward at any family reunions. Trixie decided to let this topic slide. She had an actual family now, and that was good enough to forget any weirdness that might be involved; besides Applejack was right, she was related to everypony in Ponyville…must be hard for her to find any marefriends here.

Applejack broke Trixie’s concentration as she said, “well, Ah guess that means yer officially an apple now. What do you say to doin some hard work on the fields with us?”

Trixie shook her head and said, “I’m okay…thanks. I, uh…think that I had an appointment with Fluttershy today anyway. Let’s go Maud.” Trixie hoped to leave before they could trick her into doing any hard labor.

“No you don’t,” Maud said flatly.

Applejack began laughing before saying, “Ah was just joking, Trixie. Just cus were cousins doesn’t mean that Ah’m gonna force you to work on the farm.”

A sudden thought hit Trixie prompting her to turn towards Granny Smith and ask, “why did you name my mom, Screw Loose? Wasn’t that a terrible name?”

Granny Smith gave out a short but vigorous laugh before explaining, “when Ah named mah kids, all five of them in fact, Ah named ‘em after whatever was goin through mah head when I was given birth. When it came to little Screwy, I was thinking of the loose screws on mah bed and how much noise they would make when me an mah husband would-“

Applejack interjected quickly saying, “Ah think she gets the idea gran.”

Granny Smith laughed again and Trixie could feel her face warming up, that was an embarrassing tale to be sure; Trixie feared what her aunts and uncles could be named. Maud wrapped a foreleg around Trixie and pulled her into an embrace before asking, “what time do you think Pinkie Pie will throw the party tonight?”

Applejack put a hoof to her chin and guessed, “Ah don’t rightly know, but she usually starts around seven or eight, and continues until twelve or later. We’re gonna be using Twilight’s castle for the party tonight.”

Trixie felt like she was missing something, so she asked, “what party?”

Applejack smiled at Trixie and said, “why it’s your ‘welcome to Ponyville’ party.”

PreviousChapters Next