• Published 17th Jul 2014
  • 6,096 Views, 473 Comments

Trixie and Maud: Heart of Stone - TheCrimsonDM



Trixie Lulamoon has led a hard life, especially after the events of her magic duel with Twilight Sparkle. Now trying to piece herself back together, can she learn the meaning of friendship from her first real friend, Maud Pie?

  • ...
30
 473
 6,096

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Twenty One: On the Rocks

HEART OF STONE
Chapter Twenty One: On the Rocks
Written by TheCrimsonDM


The sun was beginning to get low in the sky, but enough of it was still up for Trixie to feel nice and warm. She began to notice that it didn’t seem like the sun was this bright, nor this warm over in New Slate. But then again, the sun over Canterlot was even brighter. Trixie was enjoying the sun as she walked alongside Maud. Ever since Pinkie Pie had left for whatever it was she did for fun, Maud had been unusually quiet.

Trixie leaned her head over and nuzzled Maud’s neck hopping to get a response. Maud was still quiet but Trixie could feel that there was something pensive about Maud. After a minute of silence Trixie finally asked, “Maud, honey…is there something wrong?”

Maud stopped walking all of a sudden causing Trixie to jolt forward and nearly trip. She had been focusing on nuzzling a little too much to pay attention to where she was going. Trixie didn’t see more than a few ponies around. They were almost alone for the time being.

“Lulu, I’ve been thinking about something,” Maud said in a dull tone. Trixie could sense that Maud was in a serious mood though. Whatever she was thinking about must have been very important to her. “I want to have kids one day. I’m not ready yet, but I wanted to know if you wanted the same thing.”

Fear and joy mixed together as Trixie heard these words. She had wanted children so badly, but she knew she wasn’t ready yet. And the fear of becoming like her mother was still in the back of her mind. Trixie fought to keep that fear back as she said, “I want to raise a family with you, more than anything else in the world. But I’m not ready for it either.”

Trixie was happily surprised to see a small smile on Maud’s face. Trixie could also feel Maud’s overwhelming joy. Maud wrapped a leg around Trixie and gave her a kiss. As she pulled back she said, “I love you, Lulu.”

Trixie smiled and felt her fear subsiding. Maud’s love was an overpowering emotion that Trixie enjoyed so much. Trixie couldn’t even begin to imagine what life without Maud would be like, and the mere idea of it was terrible. Trixie would be with Maud forever and nothing was going to change that for her.

“Do you want to do something fun?” Maud asked in a flat tone.

It was a little concerning that Maud changed the subject so quickly, but Trixie felt that a deeper conversation about this topic was at the moment not necessary. All the little questions about how they would go about raising, let alone getting children would be answered at some point in the future. So Trixie let the topic go away for now.

On the other hoof Trixie had forgotten about one of the reasons for this trip, to have fun. It was in part a vacation, so why should she stay feeling depressed all the time. Trixie smiled and asked, “what did you have in mind?”

“A rock hunt.”

Trixie had nearly forgotten about rock hunts. She had spent the last two weeks dealing with an emotional wrecking ball and forgot that Maud loved going on rock hunts. So long as they weren’t playing camouflage, Maud’s idea of fun was surprisingly entertaining.

Trixie smiled and said, “sounds fun.”

***

The sky was cast in a beautiful orange glow, and the surrounding forest was nice and calm. Trixie followed Maud as the two of them made their way through the woods near Ponyville looking for rocks. Maud had a small checklist of rocks she wanted to find before the end of the day, and Trixie was overjoyed to help her.

“Should we make this interesting?” asked Trixie feeling a little playful.

Maud looked at Trixie and asked, “but rocks are already interesting?”

Trixie thought for a moment and then explained, “whoever finds the most rocks on your list will win. If I win…I want you to sing, for me and all of our friends.” Considering Trixie had never heard Maud sing before this sounded like a great plan.

Maud looked down at the list she held in her hooves, she then looked back at Trixie and said, “alright. I’ve never heard you sing before. It will be fun when I win.”

Trixie began laughing and stopped as Maud put the checklist in her hooves. Maud looked Trixie dead in the eyes and said, “you will need this.”

Trixie sat still for a few seconds before she realized that Maud had no fear of losing this competition. That was fine, it was not like Trixie could lose. She grew up in Ponyville after all. Besides that, she refused to let everypony hear her singing. The hunt was on.

Trixie walked away and took a look at the list. The first rock to find on her list was flint. That should be easy enough to find, ponies go hiking all the time out here. So there had to be some. Trixie began her search.

It took Trixie nearly five full minutes before she found a white rock, it looked like it could be flint. Trixie concentrated on the rock and used a spell that allowed her to easily find all sorts of rocks in the past. Or at least she tried to. After only a few seconds of trying Trixie’s horn flared in pain and she dropped the spell. She had really hoped that her good mood would translate into good magic, but that wasn’t going to happen.

Trixie let out a sigh and as the pain began to leave her horn she placed the rock into her saddlebags. This hunt might be a little harder then she thought, but Trixie wouldn’t give up that easily.

Next on the list was limestone, Trixie knew this one would be easier to find. Trixie walked around searching the forest floor for a few minutes before coming across a dark gray rock riddled with white streaks. This had to be limestone, only a foal could get this wrong. Trixie quickly pocketed the rock and gleefully continued onward.

Eventually Trixie had found all of the rocks on the list and then returned to where she had left Maud. Maud was sitting down and staring at a particularly shiny red gem stone that she held in her hooves. Trixie had to admit that the gem was really pretty.

Trixie walked up to her and felt a little prideful as she dropped the saddlebag next to Maud saying, “I think tonight will be awesome. I have collected all of the rocks, and now I get to hear you sing.”

Maud looked up at Trixie and said, “so have I.”

Trixie cocked her head to the side trying to figure out who won. She now realized that leaving Maud’s side to search for the rocks, meant that she had no idea who actually achieved their goal first. Trixie felt silly now that she realized the contest was in vain. Trixie sat down next to Maud and stared at the rock. “Where did you find that ruby, it’s so pretty.”

Maud looked up at Trixie and said, “it’s a fire ruby, these are fairly rare. I was lucky to find sticking out of the earth about thirty feet away from here. It was caught underneath a tree.”

Maud pointed in a direction, and Trixie’s eyes followed. Trixie stopped breathless as she saw a tree that had been knocked over as though a hurricane had come through and ripped it out of the earth. There was a small hole just underneath the tree. Trixie suspected that the tree had not been destroyed like that until Maud came along. Maud’s strength was sometimes a frightful thing.

Trixie looked at Maud who was now digging through Trixie’s saddle bag and examining the rocks. Trixie grinned proudly at her hard work. Maud eventually picked up the white flint rock and looked at it for a few seconds before asking, “what is this?”

“It’s a flint stone,” Trixie replied happily.

Maud put the rock down next to her and then dug through her own saddlebags. Maud pulled out a gray rock with a thin layer of white on one side of it. Maud passed the gray rock over to Trixie and then picked up the white rock Trixie had found.

Trixie looked hard at the rock before her and noticed that this rock had an almost glassy appearance. Maud then asked, “do you see a difference?”

Trixie looked at the two rocks, and said, “this one is…um…glassy looking. The one I found is more rough in appearance.”

Maud smiled and said, “yes, do you know why that is?”

Trixie shook her head. She had the feeling that this wasn’t a good sign for her. Maud explained, “Lulu, you found chert. Flint and chert are related, but the list stated that you needed a flint rock. Do you know what that means?”

Trixie gulped and said nervously, “does it mean I get a do over?”

Maud leaned over and kissed Trixie softly on the cheek before saying, “no. It means that you get to serenade me tonight. While our friends watch.”

Trixie could feel her face blushing from having heard that. She was terrified of singing in front of ponies. But maybe if it was only her closest friends, and if it was for Maud…then maybe she could try singing for them.


On their way back home Trixie discovered something wonderful. A bed of beautiful blue flowers. Trixie began sniffing the wonderful scent of the flowers before Maud pulled her away. Trixie turned around to explain how wonderful they smelled when Trixie sneezed, all over Maud’s face. Maud looked surprised for a few moments as Trixie apologized.

Maud looked back at the flowers and said, “Pinkie Pie told me once that she had an allergic reaction to flowers like that.”

Trixie wiped her nose on her foreleg and said, “really, I didn’t know Pinkie Pie was allergic to flowers.”

Maud cleaned her face with a handkerchief before explaining, “Pinkie Pie didn’t know either. She tried to blame it on some kind of magical curse, but I know her. She has a funny way of talking about things. So it must have been an allergy. Her tongue swelled up from them.”

Trixie wondered how that would’ve happened and asked, “did she eat them?”

Maud looked at Trixie and said, “probably. I’ve caught her eating some pretty weird things before.”

Trixie could only giggle at the idea of what kinds of things Pinkie Pie might’ve tried to eat. For some reason Trixie could imagine Pinkie Pie eating rocks down at the rock farm, and that made her giggle harder. The two ponies continued walking after that. Trixie really hoped that she wouldn’t have to sing to more than just Maud and Pinkie Pie, but she had a feeling that it wouldn’t work out that way.

***

By the time the two ponies got back to Sugarcube Corner the sun had nearly set. The sky was cast into a deep purple twilight. Trixie loved this time of night and wanted to watch the stars with Maud. But normal ponies didn’t stay up watching the stars, that was just one of Trixie’s favorite hobbies. Maybe she could stargaze with Maud some night, but tonight she had a performance.

The house was dark inside, and quiet. Trixie and Maud made their way upstairs quietly trying not to disturb anypony who was sleeping. The Cake’s went to bed earlier than Trixie liked. There was a light coming from inside Pinkie Pie’s room. That meant that at least Pinkie Pie was home, although it was really quiet inside for some reason.

Trixie opened the door only to see a surprised looking Fluttershy standing the room, and no Pinkie Pie in sight. Maud entered the room ahead of Trixie and made her way to the bed. Trixie walked in very slowly and stared in awe at Fluttershy.

It wasn’t the fact that Fluttershy was inside Pinkie’s room that surprised her. It was what Fluttershy was wearing. Fluttershy was wearing Trixie’s old cloak, and that was a little awkward for Trixie to see.

Fluttershy looked at the two ponies looking a little confused before saying, “um…is Pinkie Pie with you?”

Trixie shook her head and shut the bedroom door. Trixie was determined to completely ignore Fluttershy’s crush for now. Then Trixie saw something leaning against Pinkie Pie’s bed, something that was almost seemingly placed there just for her. A bright pink acoustic guitar.

Trixie picked up the guitar and sat on Pinkie Pie’s bed before she strummed it a few times. It sounded lovely, although Trixie despised the color of it. Pink simply didn’t belong on guitars. Fluttershy looked a little interested in what Trixie was doing, and Maud found a spot to sit down in front of Trixie. Fluttershy quickly sat next to her and looked up excitedly.

Trixie let out a sigh and said, “I promised that I would sing in front of our friends. Is it okay if I sing in front of just you two?”

Maud nodded. Trixie then looked at Fluttershy and asked, “would you like to hear? I’m not really that good at singing, but I’ll try my best.”

Fluttershy grinned and had a little blush as she said, “oh I would just love it if you sang for me, I mean um…us.”

This time Trixie actually enjoyed Fluttershy’s little crush. It was nice to know that ponies other than Maud might find her attractive, and actually wanted to hear her sing. Trixie knew she wasn’t very good at singing but she did know how to play a guitar.

Trixie began strumming up a nice soft tune for the song. She didn’t have any particular song in mind, she had a hard time remembering the words of any. So she decided to make one up, maybe she would luck out and make something half way decent.

Trixie inhaled slowly, praying that no pony would be too disappointed in her song, and began to sing a soft paced song for Maud.

“I was a tired blue mare, walking the road of despair. Until came along a gray pony so fair.
Until then I had been hurt, sleeping in the dirt. The earth was cold, and so was my soul.

She was the pony of rock, and the pony of earth, the pony to keep me warm by the hearth.
She was my hero then, and my hero now, without her I wouldn’t make a sound.
Even in darkness, all that surrounds me, I will have you always beside me.

By her side I do stand tall. Even when my poor heart stalls.
I will be here when the light falls, darkness won’t get through these walls.

Boulders may crumble, and mountain loom tall, but my heart of stone never shall fall.
Let my words be heard by the divine. Maud’s my heart of stone and she is mine. Simple and True. I am in love you.

Now I’m a strong blue mare, and true love we share.”

After Trixie had sung the last line of her song she looked up from the guitar and looked into Maud’s eyes. Trixie had half hopped that Maud would enjoy the song, but didn’t expect to see her like this. Maud’s eyes were wet and glossy, her face was a deep shade of red, and there was happy smile across her face.

Trixie couldn’t help but smile and look away. That’s when Trixie noticed the four ponies sticking their heads out from behind the door way and watching Trixie. Pinkie Pie, applejack, rarity, and Rainbow Dash were all watching from the hallway just outside of Pinkie pie’s room. Trixie felt a cold shiver run down her spine as she realized that they had all been listening and watching her.

Trixie looked in the other direction fearing the insults they would launch at her for her terrible performance. Pinkie Pie said, “that song was awesome, I didn’t even know you could play a guitar. Isn’t Trixie talented?”

Trixie peeked over at them to see them all nodding in agreement. It was nice of them to lie for her. All of a sudden Maud stood up and picked up the guitar from Trixie. Maud carefully set it down on the floor and looked at Trixie. Trixie could feel an exceedingly warm emotion coming off of Maud, it was an almost hot feeling. Trixie wasn’t sure what was happening until after Maud kissed her deeply.

Maud pulled away after a moment and said, “Pinkie Pie I’m borrowing your room for tonight.”

Fluttershy gave a quiet squeak as Maud pushed Trixie down onto Pinkie’s Pie’s bed and climbed on top of her. Maud whispered, “no pony has ever song me a love song before…tonight I’m going to make you feel things you never thought possible.”

Trixie glanced over at the group of ponies and watched Fluttershy scurrying out of the door with a beet red face. Pinkie Pie’s ears were dropped and she looked a little misplaced. As Applejack closed the door Trixie heard Pinkie Pie say, “b-b-but…that’s my bed.”

Rarity said, “I’ll help you wash your sheets later, but for now let’s leave the-“ she was cut off by the door closing.

Trixie was then left to the devices of Maud Pie, and despite the embarrassment, she wouldn’t have it be any other way.

PreviousChapters Next