• Published 17th Jul 2014
  • 6,091 Views, 473 Comments

Trixie and Maud: Heart of Stone - TheCrimsonDM



Trixie Lulamoon has led a hard life, especially after the events of her magic duel with Twilight Sparkle. Now trying to piece herself back together, can she learn the meaning of friendship from her first real friend, Maud Pie?

  • ...
30
 473
 6,091

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Seven: The Coming Storm

Heart of Stone

Chapter Seven: The Coming Storm

Written by TheCrimsonDM

Trixie awoke in a fit of panic. She sat up and quickly looked around finding herself inside her bedroom, with three ponies standing over her. Twilight, Pinkie, and most importantly Maud. Each one of them looked more worried than the first.

Trixie remembered very clearly the dream she just had. The Deep One was there talking to her, and explaining his goal of destroying Equestria. Trixie also remembered a long forgotten anger. The anger she held towards the ponies inside of Ponyville, especially Twilight. Seeing as how she was sure she’d been unconscious for a day at least, though it felt like it had been a few if she was going to be honest with herself, she tried to take some of her medicine as a reflex.

Maud reached out a hoof and stopped her. “It’s only been a few hours, Lulu.”

Trixie tried to calm down, and looked at her bed covers. Something was tied to her head, reaching up she found a bandage. She was hurt, and couldn’t remember exactly how. As she concentrated she began to remember what happened when Twilight and Maud brought the Deep One into town.

Trixie gave Twilight a look that could melt through steel. “Why would you bring such a monster back here? Trixie finds no reason for you to do this.”

Twilight’s worry all but vanished from her face as a bitter one replaced it. “Trixie, you hit your head, you only imagined that. I wouldn’t do anything so reckless.”

Pinkie Pie gave Twilight a suspicious look. “I thought there was something fishy about that cage.”

“There’s nothing in it,” Twilight confirmed in a tone of voice that brokered no argument.

Maud simply looked worried.

Trixie knew that the Deep One was real and worse yet it was evil. “The monster you brought, it’s called a Deep One. It was in Trixie’s dreams. It wants to destroy the world.”

Twilight shook her head, that bitter expression softened a little. “Sounds like a bad dream, but that wasn’t real.”

Maud gave Trixie a hug. “Shh, Lulu, you need to rest. You’ve had a rouge day.”

Maybe those two were right, maybe Trixie really did just imagine this whole thing? It wouldn’t have been the first time she’d hallucinated. She still felt angry at Twilight Sparkle, but that anger was quickly being replaced by a deep sense of loss. Trixie laid back down, all the fight had been taken out of her. “Trixie think she needs some rest.”

Maud pulled the blanket up over Trixie and kissed her cheek. “Good night, Lulu.”

Trixie closed her eyes and fell into a dreamless sleep.

***

Trixie woke up to somepony nuzzling the back of her neck softly. It was nice, the warm soft body pressed against hers, legs wrapped around her waist holding her tight. It was soothing, though it felt far too soft to be Maud, there was one particular pegasus that she didn’t mind cuddling though.

Taking a peak behind her, Trixie was remiss to find that it was only Pinkie Pie. Pinkie must have crawled into bed and fell asleep. Trixie was a little unsure of how to feel about this, but she didn’t want to wake up the sleeping pony. Maybe Pinkie had a nightmare, or was worried about her. Trixie enjoyed the idea of Pinkie Pie caring so much. Closing her eyes Trixie decided to simply snuggle in and go back to sleep.

Sleep however eluded her. She couldn’t stop thinking about how secretive Twilight was being, even to her closest friends. She knew that Twilight had wanted to keep this whole thing a secret, but this was going too far. Twilight might have had a tendency to be irresponsible in the past, but this clearly outweighed all of that.

Trixie did enjoy having a cuddly pony lying next to her, even if it wasn’t Maud. After awhile Trixie couldn’t keep herself quiet anymore. Her mind was assaulting her with thoughts about Twilight’s behavior, and she needed confirmation that it was indeed out of sync with who she was. Trixie cleared her throat before speaking up, “Hey, Pinkie Pie.”

A drowsy Pinkie Pie roused next to her. “yes?”

“Do you think Twilight is okay?”

Pinkie Pie wrapped a leg around Trixie and pulled her into a tight hug. “She’s more than okay, she’s down right sexy with that big brain of hers.”

“W-what?”

Pinkie Pie straightened up. “Uh, I meant that she’s been a little bit… off. She’s been acting strange ever since her last trip to the Crystal Empire. She’s twitchy and reserved. I don’t like it. Last time she did this, she nearly destroyed the whole town.”

Trixie felt the envy she held towards Twilight rising. Twilight was able to be forgiven for nearly destroying the town, and not Trixie. Still Trixie put that anger aside and decided to focus on her primary concern. “Trixie is concerned as well. She wants Twilight to be okay. Is there anything we can do to help her?” she was being truthful, even though she was envious and angry with Twilight, she still only wanted the best for her. They were friends after all… or at least Trixie hoped so.

Pinkie Pie let go and sat up in Trixie’s bed stretching her legs above her head yawning. After a moment she scratched at her flank. “Hmm… I might have an idea. But it’s a crazy one.”

Pinkie Pie hopped off the bed and reached her head down picking up a strange hat that didn’t belong to Trixie. It was a deerstalker hat with gray plaid designs. She flipped the hat into the air and landed the hat on top of her head perfectly. She then pulled a pipe from… actually Trixie had no idea where the pipe came from.

Pinkie Pie blew on the pipe letting loose a few bubbles from it. “I bet you didn’t know about my secondary profession. I am also a detective, although I haven’t worked on any investigations in a while. We will need to pick up my assistant, than we will get to the bottom of this mystery. I will need your help though; do you think you’re up for it?”

Trixie found the idea a little entertaining to say the least, but Twilight’s behavior was making Trixie unnerved. It was time to find out what was wrong and help out anyway she could. Besides hanging out with Pinkie Pie had been decidedly fun so far.

The two of them walked into the living room where Rainbow Dash was reading one of the books Trixie owned. Rainbow Dash was muzzle deep into the book and her entire face was a shade of light red. Examining the title Trixie was left speachless. The book Rainbow Dash was reading was her private copy of, “50 shades of hay.” This particular book was something that had been in her private book collection, but so long as Rainbow Dash didn't let Maud, or Fluttershy see it. It was okay.

Pinkie Pie bounced over to Rainbow Dash and crashed atop her. Now sitting on top of Rainbow Dash who had the book lying over her face, Pinkie asked, “We have a new investigation. This one should be a blast.”

Rainbow Dash moved the book off her face which was still red. She was about to say something before she looked Pinkie Pie down and up and let out a squeak. Pinkie Pie smiled brightly waiting for her answer. Rainbow Dash turned even redder before. With a push Ranbow Dash got out from underneath her friend. “Don’t jump on ponies. It’s… um… just don’t, okay.”

Pinkie Pie apologized before letting Rainbow Dash answer her previous question. “You said a new investigation?”

Pinkie Pie bounced in the air. “Yep, we are going to find out why Twilight’s being so weird and help her out.”

Rainbow Dash opened her mouth in protest for a moment but stopped just as the front door opened. Great gusts of wind whooshed throughout the house as three ponies entered. Fluttershy, Rarity, and Applejack all walked inside looking terrible. Rarity’s mane was split and dirty. Applejack was positively filthy, dirt covered her legs and back almost as though she’d been rolling in the mud for fun. Fluttershy looked the worst as she shook violently and whispered things to herself.

Rainbow Dash shut the door for them in a flash before landing next to Fluttershy and embracing her. Rarity simply sat down, her eyes looked hollow. Applejack however seemed to be better composed and explained, “We need yer help. Twi and Maud were messing around with some cage. Twi opened it up and some kind of monster came out. Those two chased after the monster, and we chased after them. We nearly got lost inside a cave on this mountain. But we didn't find ‘em. And after we saw some more monsters, Fluttershy began to… uh, break… and so we came back looking fer you.” She looked at Trixie when she finished. Trixie knew that Applejack was talking about her specifically.

Trixie was admittedly terrorfied of the mountain, and of the things that lived inside it. “I-I… I can’t. I don’t have any… what can I do?”

Applejack tilted her hat back. “Yer the Great and Powerful Trixie, plus you’ve been in them caves before. We need you.”

Her legs were shaking with the thought of going anywhere near those caves again. Yet she knew that what Applejack had said was true, she was the only one who knew the caves inside and out. Not only that but Trixie knew about the threat, or at least more about it than the others did. Once Trixie thought about how Maud was in there with only a dangerous and probably crazy Twilight, there was no way she could avoid it. Trixie had to go back.

But if she was going to be walking back into Tartarus then she was going to do so in style.

Trixie looked at Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash. “Trixie will need you two to come with her, you both have traits that will prove essential. Get yourselves ready, Trixie will be right back.”

“So you’ll really help?” Applejack asked.

Trixie tried not to, but she couldn’t help but flash a grin at Applejack. “You finally realized how much you need Trixie, it would be mean of Trixie to refuse your request.”

Trixie took one last look at Fluttershy before heading back into her room. She knew she had something to calm down and protect the scared Pegasus. An old folded piece of purple fabric with a blue star pattern on it, a pointed hat with a matching pattern sat right next to it. Ah my old cape this will help for s- she saw something else underneath her bed. A box wrapped up in gray gift wrap.

Pulling the box out with her mouth and placing it on the bed Trixie had to wonder where it had come from and how long it had been sitting here. She tore it open post haste to discover whatever contents the box hid. Inside the box was a bright purple cloak, with gold trim and gold six point stars stitched throughout, the cloaks clasp was a gray diamond. There was also a card inside. It was bright pink with some balloons in the background. Opening it up Trixie read it.

Dear Lulu.

I wanted to give this to you for a while. I was scared you wouldn’t like it. So after you fell asleep, I hid this package underneath your bed. I hope you enjoy it, I know that you dislike things that remind you of your past, but maybe this will remind you of our future together instead.

Love, Maud Pie

By the time Trixie had finished reading the card her heart felt like it was about to break. Maud, Trixie’s slate colored pony had given her a wonderful gift and was even nervous about it. Just knowing that Maud put such a high value on pleasing Trixie was enough to make her cry, but it wasn’t time to cry just yet. It was time for action.

Trixie placed the card carefully back into the box and put the new cloak on, along with her old hat. Even if the stars didn’t match she could always have somepony fix that later. She grabbed her old cloak in her mouth and carried it carefully into the living room.

Back in the living room the ponies were all sitting on the couch, except for Fluttershy who had crawled into a corner just out of sight. Fluttershy was curled up and shaking. Her eyes were shut tight and she just kept mumbling to herself.

Kneeling down besides Fluttershy she could now hear the things she had been whispering to herself. Fluttershy was almost crying as she whispered, “They come from somewhere dark, and they’re wrong. All the animals are wrong, everything is wrong. Why is it so wrong? What did they do? The Deep Ones are going to make everything wrong… were all going to drown in a sea of anger and pain. I don’t want to be angry again, don’t let them make me wrong too.”

With a gentle hoof, Trixie began to pet Fluttershy’s mane and said in as soft and caring a voice she could muster, “Trixie knows what you fear… I know what you fear.” Trixie became aware of her speech patterns and made sure to concentrate on speaking correctly before continuing, “I am going to fix everything, I promise.”

Fluttershy looked up at Trixie, she was crying. “How?”

Trixie didn’t know how she was going to do this, but she knew how to make Fluttershy feel better. “I have a secret plan. But I can’t tell anypony about it. I can make sure your safe for right now though.”

Fluttershy whimpered but seamed a little more relaxed. “How?”

Trixie wrapped her old cloak around Fluttershy and snapped the clasp shut, the purple color looked fitting against her yellow fur. Trixie. “You have to promise not to tell anypony the secret of this cloak if I tell you. Promise?”

Fluttershy gave a slight nod looking at Trixie in wonder. “My mom gave me this cape when I was little. There was a scary monster which followed me around, and so my father had Princess Celestia herself make this cloak. It was made to repeal all the scary evil things, and it also keeps you invisible from them. I am trusting you with this cloak because I believe you will take good care of it, and because I know it will keep you safe.”

Fluttershy nodded, but her shaking had almost completely vanished. “I-I promise to k-keep this safe.”

Trixie gave her a quick nuzzle and kissed her forehead. “Thank you.” Fluttershy had stopped shaking altogether, and the whispers didn’t return.

Trixie got up and turned around to see everypony staring with pleased expressions, Trixie coughed and looked away focusing on a dirty spot on the wall.

Rarity’s horn lit up. “Allow me to fix that for you, darling.”

Trixie looked back just in time to see Rarity’s blue aura surround Trixie’s hat. The stars on it went from blue to gold, thus matching the cloak. For a moment Trixie stood there speechless for the gift.

Rarity only offered her a kind smile, though her eyes still looked tired, tired and old. “What should we do?”

Trixie looked at her. “Trixie wants the three of you to stay here, if for whatever reason we don’t return, contact Celestia and have Fluttershy explain everything she can about the monsters.” Trixie looked out the window, the heavy storm clouds covering the skies above made it look like rough weather was ahead. “Trixie shall keep your friends safe Trixie makes that promise. But you must follow Trixie’s orders, you three are the only ones who know about the monsters and can convince the Princess to bring an army.”

Trixie led Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie outside, and Trixie knew that despite what the future may hold. She knew that these monsters were deadly, and more evil than the Ursa Major could ever hope to be. Yet they made one fatal mistake, they angered the one pony in Equestria who would follow them to the very depths of Tartarus itself to see them vanquished. They angered the Great and Powerful Trixie.

PreviousChapters Next