• Published 17th Jul 2014
  • 6,071 Views, 473 Comments

Trixie and Maud: Heart of Stone - TheCrimsonDM



Trixie Lulamoon has led a hard life, especially after the events of her magic duel with Twilight Sparkle. Now trying to piece herself back together, can she learn the meaning of friendship from her first real friend, Maud Pie?

  • ...
30
 473
 6,071

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Eighty Two: The Weeping Statue

HEART OF STONE
Chapter Eighty Two: The Weeping Statue
Written by TheCrimsonDM

With everypony now gathered around the bench, Trixie was trying her hardest to forget about recent events. Her mind insisted on reminding her about everything that she had done to hurt her friends, and about everything bad that had happened to her. Despite how wonderful it was to hear all of her friends voices again, it didn’t serve as a distraction from her thoughts. The only real solace she could take out here came from the cold.

Even with Maud’s legs wrapped tightly around her, Trixie was still shaking from the cold. Why the forest was so warm when everywhere else had to freeze she couldn’t figure out. It was unfair to say the least. Eventually somepony noticed.

“Trixie, if you want to go inside we can. I know it must be freezing out here without any proper clothes on,” Twilight offered.

Trixie gave her a glance, and then buried her head into Maud’s chest. She wasn’t feeling like answering anything at the moment.

“Anywhere you want to go is okay. Pick somewhere you feel safe, and we’ll all go with you to keep you company,” Twilight offered yet again.

She could have argued with Twilight, but Trixie choose to give in instead. Getting out of this cold sounded like a good idea to her. With a quiet voice, Trixie said, “Can we go back home? I need to drop some stuff off there anyway.”

Twilight smiled and nodded.

Trixie gave Twilight a small smile. “Thank you. I’d love it if you all came with me, but you have more important business to tend to right now. Twilight, you need to speak with Mystic Soul about the windigo… I had to fight one before getting back here.”

That brought a shocked look to Twilight’s face. Trixie smiled. Nopony spoke for a moment, allowing time for everypony to actually think about what Trixie had said. Windigos hadn’t been seen in Equestria in a very long time, and the fact that two of them appeared so recently spelled trouble, added to the fact that Trixie had to kill one just made current matters worse.

Reluctantly Twilight got away from the bench. She looked at Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy who had been sitting by her and said, “Come on you two. I’ll need you for this. Rarity, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and Maud… take care of Trixie okay.” Everypony nodded, and Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash followed behind Twilight Sparkle. They were both as reluctant as Twilight was.

Now left with only four other ponies, Trixie had time to think more clearly about what needed to be done. She had returned the wand, reunited with Maud, and warned Twilight of the danger via meeting with Mystic Soul, but now what? She felt like there was something left to do, but she couldn’t figure out what it was.

“Darling, why don’t we get out of this frightful weather?” Rarity suggested.

Trixie didn’t look at anypony. There was still a hollow feeling deep inside that refused to leave. She hated her depression, but maybe getting out of the cold would do her some good. Trixie snuggled a little closer to Maud while saying, “Yeah… let’s do that.”

***

The front door to her house stood as an opposing obstacle, one that Trixie didn’t want to pass. Fear was creeping over her heart and down her spine. The longer she stood still, staring at the front door the more she wanted to panic and flee. Something was wrong, she felt that if she opened that door, that if she took the first step inside, she was going to learn something that she’d regret. Whether it was something that she didn’t know about, or if it would just be her guilt sinking in even further, she didn’t know.

Trixie turned to face the four ponies standing just behind her. They had increasingly worried looks on their faces, even Maud looked worried for Trixie. Trixie closed her eyes and took a step back away from the door, that’s when a comforting gray hoof grabbed her shoulder. For a split second, Trixie’s heart jumped at the touch, but after seeing Maud she calmed down.

“I…” Trixie attempted to say.

“It’s alright, if you aren’t feeling ready to come home yet then we don’t have to,” Rarity said gently.

Trixie shook herself and stepped forward, she refused to let her fear keep her from coming home. It had been so long since she had last been here, and even longer since she had been in good spirits with Maud. She simply couldn’t back down now. Taking in a deep breath she opened the door with her magic and walked inside.

After going inside she saw the kitchen/dining area to her left, and the spare room to her right. Much to her surprise, everything was clean, but whatever she was afraid of didn’t seem to be here. She took a few more steps and found the living room, the long hallway that led to the bathroom, all those empty rooms, and her bedroom. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

With a smile Trixie turned to face her friends. Her smile faded when she saw the look of petrifaction in Maud’s eyes. Maud wasn’t staring at her however, she was staring at something behind her. Slowly Trixie turned to face the wall, and for a moment she didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. As she looked further up the wall, her eyes widened in horror.

There was a large dent in the wall where the wood had been smashed in, and a small spot of blood was left behind in the depression. With a sickening fear, Trixie realized exactly what she was staring at; this was the wall that Maud had thrown her against in anger. The memory was made fresh after seeing this, she had remembered the pain, the fear, and the strength of which Maud had used against her, but she didn’t realize just how much damage had been done. If not for Red Velvet’s magic, could there have been complications with Trixie’s back?

The wood floor creaked as Maud took a step towards Trixie. Panic instantly took over and Trixie backed away from Maud, she looked around for any escape, she felt like she was in danger. When Maud stopped moving and laid down, with ears folded back and a guilty look in her eyes, Trixie was able to calm down a little. Both Rarity and Pinkie were giving each other worried glances, while Applejack stared sternly at Maud.

Quietly Trixie spoke, “I’m okay, I just... forgot what it was like to be inside… We can all go in the living room and rest.”

Nopony moved until after Trixie found a place to lie down on the couch. Maud choose to stand at the opposite end of the couch, it wasn’t hard to pick up on the feelings of shame coming from Maud. Applejack sat by the hallway and watched Maud carefully, while Pinkie and Rarity took places on the other couch.

“So… what have things been like while I was gone?” Trixie asked in an attempt to break the silence.

Pinkie Pie smiled at Trixie and proclaimed, “Oh we’ve been searching for you, and Twilight’s been losing sleep. Seriously, did you know that she could stay awake for eight days in a row and still function?”

Rarity chimed in, “I’m not sure that I’d count what she was doing as productive.”

“Oh come on, how could you not see the connection between space bugs, the royal throne, Trixie’s fillynapping, and the orange? Seriously, Rarity, Twilight was onto something there,” Pinkie Pie replied casually.

Trixie shook her head and a small giggle escaped her lips. She looked at Pinkie Pie and Rarity with a smile and said, “I’ve seen Twilight stay awake for two whole weeks once, she nearly destroyed the castle. After that Celestia demanded that if she ever stayed awake longer than a week again, Spike was to contact her immediately.”

“So eight days is too much?” Pinkie Pie asked.

“That does explain why we caught Princess Luna flying away from her castle the one night she actually got some sleep. She must have used some sort of spell,” Rarity suggested.

Pinkie Pie’s eyes widened and she exclaimed, “Like a super spell!”

“No, where did you even get that idea? Wait, I don’t want to know,” Rarity said.

Trixie giggled again, this time it was because she realized what it was that must’ve put Twilight to sleep. “Yeah, I’m sure that it was a really powerful spell. How else could we explain how Twilight Sparkle got to sleep?”

It suddenly occurred to Trixie that Maud wasn’t in the living room anymore. She was gone! Fear gripped Trixie’s heart and she leapt up, and managed to completely fall off the couch while shrieking, “MAUD! WHERE ARE YOU?”

Still lying on the floor she saw Maud trot into view from the kitchen with a bucket in her mouth. She set the bucket down and trotted a little closer to Trixie, but still kept her distance. “What’s wrong?” Maud asked flatly.

Trixie picked herself up and with her heart still racing and her breathing rapid she asked quickly, “Why did you leave?”

Maud looked at the floor and lowered her head. “I was just going to do some cleaning… I won’t leave you again.”

With some help from Applejack, Trixie managed to get back onto the couch and this time she kept her eyes focused on Maud. Her heart slowed down a little, and her breathing returned to normal as she watched Maud. She couldn’t help but fear that Maud would leave her still.

At first Trixie couldn’t figure out what Maud was trying to clean, so she watched as Maud reached in with a hoof, grabbed a soaking wet sponge and stood on her hind legs. As Maud worked on cleaning the blood off the wall, Trixie understood what was going on. Maud was, in her own way, trying to make up for what had happened.

Applejack rested a hoof on Trixie’s shoulder, the hoof bumped up against Trixie’s wing causing a very awkward tingle to run through her back. “Ah’m sorry Trixie. Just give it some time, things will get easier.”

Without thinking Trixie muttered lamely, “She hurt me, and I deserved it…”

“Now hold on one minute, you did not deserve to be slammed against a wall. Do you hear me?”

Trixie heard her, but she didn’t agree. “You’re wrong, Applejack. After what I did, in the sanctity of our own home none the less… I deserve so much worse.”

Maud quickly glanced over at Trixie with a deep sadness in her eyes as she continued cleaning the wall. Trixie stood up from the couch and walked over to Maud. The closer she got the more fear grew in her heart, but she fought it and kept going. The second she reached Maud she wrapped her legs around her special somepony and whispered, “I know what I did was wrong, and I know how bad you feel about what you did. Even if we’re both a broken mess right now, we still have each other.”

Maud returned the embrace, and something happened that Trixie didn’t expect. Maud began sobbing into Trixie’s neck, weeping uncontrollably. Maud made several attempts to speak but all of her words broke down into even more sobs. Trixie hadn’t realized that even Maud was capable of crying like this, Maud had always been her statue, but even Maud could break.

It took awhile but Maud finally managed to say, “I’m so sorry about what I did. I never wanted hurt you, Lulu. Please don’t hate me.”

Trixie held her marefriend tightly and said, “I could never hate you, not you, you’re my precious heart of stone.”

PreviousChapters Next