• Published 17th Jul 2014
  • 6,091 Views, 473 Comments

Trixie and Maud: Heart of Stone - TheCrimsonDM



Trixie Lulamoon has led a hard life, especially after the events of her magic duel with Twilight Sparkle. Now trying to piece herself back together, can she learn the meaning of friendship from her first real friend, Maud Pie?

  • ...
30
 473
 6,091

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Nine: Into The Light

Heart of Stone

Chapter Nine: Into The Light

Written by TheCrimsonDM

Trixie found herself was floating in a white oblivion. Part of her mind thought that maybe she should be worrying about this. Worrying about Maud. Yet she knew everything would be okay without her. The white all around her dimmed and vague shapes began forming around her. The forest grew all around her thick as a jungle. A lone hill rose up behind her and leveled off at the base of a mountainous wall that went on as far as her eyes could see. On the top of the hill was an old stone tunnel with moss growing thick along its walls. A willow tree was planted next to it creating what had once been a nice little picnic spot.

Laughter emitted from the tunnels as Twilight and her five friends exited. They quietly set up a picnic at the base of the willow tree. Pinkie Pie looked up at Trixie and offered, “Come and join us, Trixie. Oh and bring Maud with you.”

Trixie looked around and just behind her hiding amongst the trees was the earth pony she so dearly loved, although her mane was disheveled. Trixie got up and went to go take a seat next to her. She wrapped a leg around Maud.

Trixie asked, “What’s wrong, Maud?”

Maud whimpered slightly. “I don’t wanna be alone again.”

Trixie offered her a kind smile, “You’re not alone, you have friends, and a wonderful sister.”

Maud looked up at Trixie her eyes were wet and tears ran down her face. Her ears were folded back. “You can’t leave me, Lulu. Not like this.”

Trixie sighed before closing her eyes. Her heart was surprisingly calm right then, like all her troubles were very far away. She still felt pity for Maud. Trixie nuzzled into Maud’s neck before saying, “I won’t ever leave you.”

Maud then repeated only in a quieter tone, “You can’t leave me. Not like this, I can’t go through this. I don’t want to be alone again.”

Trixie opened her eyes and took another look around herself. This place was so familiar to her. It was the entrance to Old Ponyville, and was located in the Everfree Forest. Trixie had spent a good deal of time here by herself when she was very little. Of course she knew she couldn’t be here, she’d never return to Ponyville after what happened. So that meant that this was all a dream. Yet it didn’t feel quite like a dream this time. It was too still, too calm.

Memories of what happened before she fell unconscious returned to her. She had just defeated the Deep One, and destroyed the black pillar. But she had been hurt badly in the battle. She wondered briefly if she was actually dead. That didn’t feel right either. Maybe she was almost dead, dying as it were. For whatever reason that felt more accurate.

Trixie looked back at Maud. She wanted nothing more than to snuggle into that gray fur and rest for an eternity. Yet Trixie knew that if this was her time to go, she’d have to leave Maud all alone in this harsh world. Trixie let out a sigh, she’d never meant to hurt Maud. “I know I said I would never leave you. And I’m sorry that I lied. But at least I learned that I was a good pony in the end...”

Maud began crying loudly into Trixie’s shoulder. It broke Trixie’s heart to see her strong and usually stoic lover like this. Trixie kissed Maud softly on the forehead and wished with all her might that Maud could hear her words. “I love you, Maud. And no matter what I will always be there with you. If you listen hard enough, you will hear me singing in your heart.”

Maud looked up, her eyes barely open from the tears. Her voice was broken as she begged, “I love you too. Please don’t go.”

Trixie could only give her a sad smile, by whatever force that allowed her this one moment with her lover she knew that it had to end. Trixie pressed her lips up against Maud’s and attempted to put all the love she had into that one kiss. “I want you to be strong for me. Promise me that you will live a full life, with or without me.”

Maud began to hiccup as she said, “But-hic-I don’t want to.”

Trixie gave her a gentle look and nuzzled against her neck. “I don’t think either of us have a choice. But before I go, I want to thank you for everything that you have done for me. You came to me when I was damaged; you took me into your house and healed my heart. Then you gave me something that nopony else ever did; love. You even helped me make up for the things that I have done, and forgave me for the things I had done to your family. I love you, Maud Pie, like no other. Please don’t forget about me when I’m gone, and be happy.”

Maud let out a wail full of sorrow and faded from Trixie’s embrace. Trixie looked around and noticed that bit by bit everything around her was disappearing. First all the other ponies, then the mountain. Trixie relaxed against a tree before sighing and lying down on the grass.

A dark blue alicorn appeared next to Trixie, the alicorn had a deep blue flowing mane with stars shining through it. Her mane looked like as full of beauty and mystery as the night sky itself. The alicorn looked at Trixie with sad eyes. “I’m sorry this was the most I could do for you..”

Trixie gave a tired smile to the alicorn, she was already resigned to her fate. “Was this just a dream or was she really here with me? I guess it doesn’t matter, either way it was nice to see her one last time. Thank you, Luna.”

Princess Luna just looked sad as she stared at Trixie. “Again… I’m sorry. I wish I could do more.”

Trixie relaxed as the grass underneath her vanished into a white void as well, the only things left were her, the tree and Luna. Trixie closed her eyes just as even the tree vanished. “It’s alright. You can take me away now, Luna. I’m ready.”

Luna wrapped a wing around Trixie. “Then let us go my child.”

The two of them then vanished off to somewhere happy, someplace where Trixie would never have to worry about being hurt ever again. Somewhere quiet, somewhere peaceful.

***

Trixie opened her eyes slowly and was blinded by intense light for a few moments. Her entire body felt numb, and her ears were ringing. As her vision came into focus she saw a window on the wall next to her. There was a pony talking but listening to it felt like Trixie’s head was underwater. It took a moment for her to wake up enough to understand what was actually being said. It was Twilight talking softly, “…So glad that you’re awake. I was terrified you were going to…Trixie, can you hear me?”

Trixie moved her head and saw Twilight on the opposite side of her bed, along with a sleeping Maud whose head was lying on Trixie’s mattress snuggled into her side. Trixie smiled at the sight before reaching over and petting Maud’s mane. “I can hear you, Twilight.”

Twilight smiled warmly. “I promise I will do everything to make up for this. I Pinkie Pie Promise.

Trixie gave her a small smile in return. “You don’t need to make up for anything.”

Twilight now looked a little shaken, “Oh… was it that obvious how I felt…”

Trixie just looked at Twilight and heard Twilight say, “I hope she’s okay,” but Twilight’s lips weren’t moving. Trixie then looked at Maud and could hear something from her. Trixie could hear Maud crying softly, although Maud was sleeping soundlessly next to her.

Trixie had heard once before that ponies who had near death experiences could sometimes hear the thoughts of others, but that only lasted temporally... right? Trixie wondered how long she would be able to do this. Even if it was an abuse of her new found power of telepathy she knew that she could never forgive Twilight unless she found out the hard truth. Trixie cleared her throat before asking, “Did you sabotage my life?”

Twilight’s eyes widened in shock for a brief moment before she lowered her head and looked away shamefully. “Why does she still think I hate her? She saved me, even though she really believes that I hate her. I just wish she would know how much I care about her.

Twilight took an extra moment to say, “Of course not. I’m your friend, Trixie.”

She felt a little guilty for still distrusting Twilight, but now she had read her mind, she knew for sure that Twilight was indeed sincere about befriending her. Trixie gave her a small smile and said, “Thank you. I have to admit that I have been upset with you, even still after all this time I was mad.”

“I’m so sorry,” Twilight apologized. “But… may I ask why?”

“The town blamed the Ursa Major on me, and banished me. Yet you nearly destroyed the town and everypony just forgives you.” Trixie shook her head. “How is that fair?”

“It’s not.” Twilight said a little too quickly. “S-sorry. I just know that sometimes ponies give me special privlige, or overlook my faults and actions because of my status. Used to be that I was the personal apprentice to Celestia, but now I am an actual Princess. There’s a lot of things I could do and nopony would even accuse me of anything. So I only have my friends and myself to keep me in check. It… it scares me sometimes.”

“I wish I had that problem.”

“Do you really?”

Trixie gave it a moment to think on. “No, I don’t. If was in your shoes I would abuse my power. It would have been bad. At least you try to be responsible for your actions.”

Twilight smiled. “I was afraid that maybe I couldn’t make up for this one. But you came back to us. Trixie, I’m really, truly glad that your still here.”

That was an odd way to say it. Trixie recalled her dream with Luna. “Did I die?”

Twilight looked away and quickly said, “You were in trouble. We almost lost you.” Yet Twilight’s mind betrayed her. “You were dead before we got you to the hospital, and then you died again in Maud’s arms after they tried to help you. Then you came back, and it was scary, I felt like I was so powerless I even called in a favor with Princess Luna to try and drag you back to us. I’m just so happy your alive now. Please don’t die again.

Trixie let out a sigh and was about to ask something else before Maud opened her eyes and murmured, “Lulu?”

Maud moved her head up and looked at Trixie, and Trixie looked back at her. The two locked eyes with one another. Fluttery feelings filled Trixie’s chest as she stared into those eyes still stained with red. Trixie could feel Maud’s affection; it felt like the warmth of the sun against her fur. Trixie couldn’t help herself as she said, “I love you, Maud.”

Maud blinked and a single tear rolled down the side of her face. Trixie put a hoof on Maud’s shoulder and that was all Maud could handle before letting out a wail as her emotional walls broke. “I love you too.”

Maud wrapped her forelegs around Trixie’s prone form and cried deeply into her chest. Twilight looked a little shy and Trixie could hear Twilight thinking to herself, “Oh dear, this looks private.” Twilight’s horn lit up and she teleported out of the room in a flash of pink light, leaving the two ponies alone.

Trixie couldn’t fight the tears back anymore and joined in crying with Maud. The two of them cried, then kissed, and then cried some more. Finally after half an hour Maud had calmed down and sniffled a little as she laid her head down next to Trixie. Trixie could only continue stroking her lover’s mane.

Trixie really had died, and it destroyed Maud to see the only pony who loved her go like that. Trixie knew that one day they would die, and it would destroy whoever was left. It was simply a fact of life, she just didn’t expect it so soon. Trixie could remember most of what had happened while she was dead. She remembered that moment with Maud by that tree, the one Luna had given her.

Trixie relaxed and refusing to go back to sleep she just lay there on that bed stroking Maud’s mane. Now Trixie felt a nagging feeling inside of her. She also didn’t know what to do now. Start a new life with Maud somewhere peaceful was the only thing she could really think of. Yet there were so many other things she wanted to do, things she had almost lost the chance to when she died. Yet through all of the dreams she had, and problems she needed to solve there was a single point of hope that would keep her strong; whatever she did next, she would do with Maud. Trixie whispered softly to herself and to Maud, “I promise I’ll never leave you again.”

PreviousChapters Next