• Published 8th Jul 2014
  • 1,463 Views, 44 Comments

Ghost vs. The Equestrian Educational System - Jman9877



When Ghost decides he actually wants to attend school with Applebloom, what new discoveries will he make about ponykind? What struggles will he face as a Changeling hidden among ponies?

  • ...
8
 44
 1,463

Chapter 25

Chapter 25

3rd Person POV



Ghost looked at the feather with scrutiny, turning around with it in plain view. "There was somepony out there." He said, as Applebloom and SCootaloo both saw the feather.



"How do you know that it wasn't just some pegasi flying overhead?" Scootaloo asked, her head tilted a bit.



"There was no wind when I was walking back to the farm, and none while I was chasing you down. If a pegasus was shedding feathers while flying, they would have shed a primary feather, which is much bigger than one of these feathers." Ghost indicated, once again holding up the feather. "This is a down feather, meaning that it wasn't used for flight, but to keep pegasi warm while they are at high altitude. They don't come up by just flying, they need to be preened.



Scootaloo extended her wings in observation, seeing that she did have down feathers behind her wings. "So then how did they fall off? I don't think somepony would stop and preen themselves while spying on us." Scootaloo retorted.



"Where would you try to be when trying to stay out of sight?" When Scootaloo didn't answer, Ghost answered for her. "My guess, you would stay near the ground, where you might rub a few feathers against the ground."



Applebloom grunted a bit. "Does this mean we can't have our picnic tomorrow? We already got everythin' ready."



Ghost hummed thoughtfully. He knew the first pony Rumble would tell tomorrow would be Ms. Cheerilee, but she knew that they had been feuding a bit. She would take his statements with a grain of salt, so there would be sometime that Ghost could explain what was going on. Plus from what he had gathered, Rumble had a history of acting out, meaning that whatever he said would have little weight behind them.



"We might be able to, only if you're feeling well enough. This is something I can deal with on my own." Ghost assured, as Applebloom gave me a sure nod.



"Ah'm not that tired... I just gotta relax while we're there." She assured. Scootaloo nodded with a large grin.



"I can go get Sweetie Belle from Rarity's and we can have a sleepover! Do you think Applejack will be okay with that?" Scootaloo asked, as Ghost looked at the clock on the wall.



"If you leave now you can catch up with her. She left just after I came upstairs to see Applebloom." He reminded, as Scootaloo bolted out of the door excitedly. Ghost chuckled and looked towards Applebloom again. "Sorry that our last talk was cut short. I still feel really bad about just leaving like that."



"Don't worry about it Ghost. It's all in the past now." Applebloom assured, before the door slammed open again. Scootaloo stood there with a happy grin plastered all over her face.



"She said yes!" Scootaloo yelped, grabbing her her helmet off of the chest in the room and slapping it on her head. "I'm gonna go get Sweetie Belle!"



With that, Applebloom gave a small yay as Ghost looked at the feather once again, putting it into one of the desk drawers. He would need it so Rumble could explain what he was doing at Sweet Apple Acres at about 9PM. "C'mon Ghost! Set up the sleepin' bags that are in that closet over there!" Applebloom asked, as Ghost was already doing so with his magic. He grinned happily, knowing that he had never been to a sleepover before. Applejack poked her head in the door.



"Ghost, get that grin off yer face. Yer sleeping in the opposite side of the house." She deadpanned, Ghost's cheeks flaring red.



"Don't worry... I hear you loud and clear." Ghost gulped, as Applejack just chuckled and kept walking down the hall towards her room.





Ghost POV




The sunlight coming through my open window was more than enough to wake me up, the light managing to shoot directly onto my open eyelids. I groaned and kicked the blanket I had off of myself, standing up and extending my wings to stretch. About halfway through the slumber party, the girls snuck into my room and tied me to my bed. I spent the better part of an hour undoing the knots that Applebloom was able to tie. I swear that rope was made of steel fibers or something...



I tied my red bow around my neck and straightened it, remembering what Applebloom wanted to do today. Apparently Applejack had been planning a picnic with her friends for awhile, and the Cutie Mark Crusaders had invited themselves to the occasion. I was hoping that Applebloom would feel well enough to go, but if she couldn't then I'd stay with her. The thought of Rumble wiggled it's way back into my head, as I growled in anger.



"Why can't he just leave well enough alone?" I muttered to myself, knowing that he would probably be telling his brother and friends what he saw. The only reason I didn't go after him was because he was the strongest flyer in the class, so tracking him through the dead of night would prove to be a bit too difficult with his shade of coat through a dark forest. Even with my enhanced vision I wouldn't have been able to keep up with him.



"Ghost? Ya awake?" Applejack asked, peeking her head through the door. "Twilight's at the front door askin' fer ya. She said it's serious." With that, I let out a heavy sigh, not knowing what this could mean.



"Alright I'll be down in a second." I answered, opening one of the drawers and pulling out the picture of 64 I had. His grin always made me feel better, especially where we were when we took the picture. Covered in ash and soot, barely able to stand, cuts and bruises all over us, but smiles on our faces. Whenever I needed that extra boost, this picture was usually there to give it.



I walked out of my room and glanced across the hallway, seeing that Applebloom's room door was ajar. I could see Applebloom still sleeping on her bed, with Sweetie Belle rolling away her sleeping bag. As she did, a pillow came flying fro behind the door and struck her in the face, before she growled and jumped at the orange filly who threw it. The door slammed shut after that, only sounds of a friendly struggle coming from the inside.



I walked down the stairs and saw Twilight waiting patiently in the living room. She saw me and gave me a smile. "Hello there Ghost! I remembered that you had asked me for a bit of advice on child psychology, so I looked through the library and found a few books on the subject!" She said with a cheery smile, pulling out a few books from the saddlebags she had on.



I gave a small sigh of relief as I realized that this wasn't a bad visit, knowing that if anypony had believed Rumble if he told anyone they would probably go to the smartest mare in town to see what to do. "Perfect. The situation should be getting much better as soon as I read these. Thanks Twilight!" I thanked, taking htem with my magic and setting them onto one of the lamp stands in the living room. "Are you ready to come to the picnic with us?"



"Of course I am, I've got everything in here!" She said, motioning to the other side of of saddlebags. She pulled out a rolled up blanket, and a large picnic basket. Strange, it was almost as if it was bigger on the inside... Apparently Twilight saw my perplexed look and grinned. "You thought 64 was the only one to mess around with spatial magic?"



"No matter how many times I see that, I still can't comprehend it..." I groaned, rubbing the side of my head. "Let's get going to the picnic then. Let me go and get the Crusaders." I turned and headed back up the stairs, walking through the hall towards Applebloom's room. When I opened the door, I found Applebloom now wide awake, tangled in a heap along with Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo with feathers and pillow casings strewn across the room.



"Uh... we can explain?" Applebloom muttered.





3rd Person POV





"Wants some more cake Applebloom?" Ghost offered, seeing that Applebloom had finished her plate. With a tired shake of her head, she rolled over onto her back, sighing in contentment. "I'll take that as a no."



The two laid on the blanket along with the Elements of Harmony, as Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo ran around trying to catch a butterfly. Celestia's sun beamed down warm rays, causing the already exhausted filly's eyes to droop. "Ghost... Why did I get out of bed today...?"



"Because you got tangled up in the middle of a pillow fight. And you also wanted to come to the picnic."



"Now quit yer bellyachin' Applebloom. Ah didn't carry ya over here fer nothin'." Applejack chuckled, seeing how complacent Applebloom was acting.



"It is gorgeous out. Just gorgeous!" Rarity said with a happy sigh, noticing a large group of butterflies fly by. "And to think there are ponies that can't experience this themselves..." The other mares in the group just nodded and hummed in agreement, as Ghost's ears flicked upwards. They were picking up something moving towards them... but at a very sluggish pace. He stood and looked towards the direction of the sound, seeing Spike running towards them at what was probably his top speed.



"Is that Spike?" Ghost asked, remembering the dragon from Nightmare Night. Twilight perked up and looked in the direction Ghost was motioning, seeing her assistant in question running towards them.



He finally arrived, stopping in front of Twilight as he gasped and huffed for air. "Twi... light! ...I... have... Lemme just..." Spike panted, just before he took a deep breath and belched out a letter. Ghost stared wide eyed at the magic, never seeing a dragon being able to do that before. Twilight picked up the letter from the ground, unravelling it and clearing her throat to read it.



"Dear Twilight, I am sure you are as excited as I am about the upcoming wedding in Canterlot." She read, eyes widening at those words. "Wedding?"



"How did we hear nothing about this?" Ghost asked, but Twilight shrugged her shoulders.



"I will be presiding over the ceremony, but would very much like you and your friends to help with the preparations for this wonderful occasion. Fluttershy, I would like you and your songbird choir to provide the music."



Fluttershy gasped and blushed in amazement. "Oh my goodness! What an honor!" She said excitedly, in her own hushed way.



"Pinkie Pie, I can think of no one more qualified than you to host the reception." Twilight continued, causing the pink party pony to do a cartwheel in celebration. "Applejack, you will be in charge of the catering for the reception."



"Well, color me pleased as punch!" The cowmare hollered joyfully, putting a hoof to her chest.



"Rainbow Dash..." Twilight was about to read, but Rainbow let out an obnoxiously loud yawn to cut off Twilight. Undeterred, she kept reading. "I would very much appreciate it if you could perform a sonic rainboom as the bride and groom complete their 'I do's."



"Yes!" The technicolor mare yelped in glee, floating into the air.



"Rarity, you will be responsible for designing the dresses for the bride and her bridesmaids"



Apparently that sentence caused the white mare to blow a fuse in her brain, because the only sounds she was able to make after that were a few garbled noises and moans before falling onto her back in excitement.



"And to Ghost..." Twilight recited, causing the changeling's ears to perk up. "You will be assisting Project 64 with his job as Head of Security. With a Royal Wedding, there will always be ponies who wish to do nothing but ruin this momentous occasion."



"64's back!?" Ghost yelped in excitement, causing Applebloom to awaken from her near slumber.



"It looks like it. There's more." Twilight answered, clearing her throat once again. "To the young Cutie Mark Crusaders, the bride to be has no younger relatives to act as flower fillies. I know no one more suited than Ponyville's most adventurous group of fillies to fulfill this role."



"We get to be flower fillies in a Royal Wedding!?" Sweetie Belle yelped.



"I get to see Rainbow Dash do a Sonic Rainboom!?" Scootaloo gasped.



"There's gonna be food at the reception?!" The two other fillies looked in confusion at Applebloom, who blushed bashfully. "Uh... Ah think ah'm still a bit hungry."



"And as for you, Twilight, you will be playing the most important role of all: Making sure that everything goes as planned. See you all very soon. Yours, Princess Celestia." Twilight concluded, looking over the letter to see if there was more. "But... I don't understand. Who's getting married?"



Spike gasped in realization. " Oh, wait! Uh, I was probably supposed to give you this one first." He said with an embarrassed look, pulling out another letter from behind him. Twilight took the letter and unraveled it, clearing her throat once more.



"Princess Celestia cordially invites you to the wedding of Princess Mi Amore Cadenza and... MY BROTHER!?" She yelled out in shock, as Ghost only had one thing to say.



"Aw shit..."

Comments ( 6 )

"Aw shit" couldn't have put it better myself ghost.

If Rumble and Ghost were voiced, what would they sound like?

Is this going to continue?

6191043 Course, this is going to continue once Underground is finished, and will bridge the Sequel after that.

6194666 Thanks for the answer :)

Login or register to comment