• Published 8th Jul 2014
  • 1,463 Views, 44 Comments

Ghost vs. The Equestrian Educational System - Jman9877



When Ghost decides he actually wants to attend school with Applebloom, what new discoveries will he make about ponykind? What struggles will he face as a Changeling hidden among ponies?

  • ...
8
 44
 1,463

Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Ghost POV




After lunch, we all went back into the classroom. When I sat down, I couldn't help but notice that when Rumble came into the class, he had a scowl on his face, directed right towards me. I couldn't help that he had a rotten attitude, but maybe I could help him see that I wasn't that bad.



"Hey, what's Rumble's deal?" I asked, turning around and asking Applebloom. "He seems like he has a bug that he can't shake off."



"Well, he used ta be really nice an' not have any problems. But when his brother Thunderlane started ta work for the Weather Pegasi, he jus' started ta act out like that." Applebloom explained.



I mulled that over in my head, wondering what that had to do with Rumble's attitude. That was when I remembered who I was sitting next to. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon sat on both sides of me, the same glint that Diamond had in her eyes before still there. I was sure she had some ulterior motive when she tried to get me to hang out with her during that lunch break, but for now I had to act as if I was oblivious.



"Alright class, who in here has done a dissection before?" Cheerilee asked us, as a few hooves went into the air. I wasn't sure if I should raise my hoof, because the closest thing I've done to a dissection was disemboweling a dragon, and I wasn't sure that exactly counted. "Well I see a few of you have. Ms. Fluttershy was kind enough to donate a few of her sickly frogs for an experiment today, so we will all be performing our own little dissections today!"



"Eww! We have to cut open dead frogs? I refuse to do something as disgusting as that!" Diamond pouted, crossing her legs in a huff. As soon as she said the word 'cut', my eyes widened. I looked at Ms. Cheerilee, who was starting to pull out small scalpels for the class. Time slowed, much like 64 described to me, allowing me to assess the situation.



Cheerilee was going to start passing out blades, which might trigger Applebloom. If seeing a knife wouldn't trigger her, then having to watch somepony else cut something open would definitely do it.



"Umm?! Ms. Cheerilee I have to talk to Applebloom outside really quick OK thanks!" I shot off, jumping out of my seat and pulling Applebloom out of her's by her hoof. I led her outside before she could see anything, but she was looking at me with this crazed look.



"Ghost? What in the hay are ya doin'?" She asked, looking at me as if i was crazy. I might have been overreacting, but right now I was better safe than sorry.



"Look, I'm not sure that doing that in class is the best idea. I mean, didn't you feel nervous?" I asked, starting wonder if I did the right thing.



"Well... not really. Ah mean-"



"Ghost! What was the meaning of interrupting the class like that?" Cheerilee questioned, stepping out of the classroom to confront Applebloom and I. I glanced back at Applebloom.



"Can I have a minute AB? I just need to tell Ms. Cheerilee something really quick." Applebloom nodded at my request, allowing me to take Cheerilee aside. I made sure that Applebloom didn't go back inside the class. "Ok, now I can explain."



"You better start."



I sighed, getting the hair out of my face with a hoof. "Look, I know you were informed about the occurrences at Smokey Mountain regarding Applebloom's mental state, correct?" I asked, surprising Cheerilee with the extensive vocabulary. Working with 64, you learn to hide your true potential until it's needed.



"Yes, I was. I still don't see why you needed to forcibly remove her from the class though." Cheerilee countered, but I put my hoof out at her.



"I'm getting to that. I'm saying that she's developed hemophobia, and her trauma sprouted from her... fatally wounding... a Gryphon. I just think using any sharp utensils can act as a trigger. But... it's your call in the end. Do you want her to do it?" I asked, leaving the final decision up to her.



I could see that she was surprised at how mature I could act in a situation as serious as this, but thought about the answer nonetheless. After a few moments, she answered. "Well... I think completely shielding her from the problem won't help her in the long run. How about we allow her to observe you doing the experiment in the side room?"



I nodded. "Alright, let's do it." I was about to walk back, but Cheerilee held me back. "What is it?"



"You're obviously... unique. You're not just visiting the Apple's, are you?"



I chuckled. "Am I that obvious? Well... I'm not actually here to visit the Apple's... I figure you need to know." I stepped back a bit. "Agent 65 of the Equestrian Knights, assigned to protect and assist Applebloom until she is deemed mentally fit." I gave a playful little salute, making her laugh.



"A colt as an undercover agent? I don't know whether to believe you or doubt you. But... you do seem to carry yourself as such. I hope this is the last of secrets kept from me?" Cheerilee asked in a playful tone, not really expecting anything else. Of course... there was that one big other secret I had, but I knew better than to give that away.



"For now. Let's get back inside, I'll lead Applebloom through the frog dissection." I instructed walking back towards Applebloom.



"Are ya all done over there? Ah'm gettin' tired of jus' standin' here." Applebloom complained, bringing her new ponytail over her shoulder and brushing it with her hoof.



"Yep, all done. If you start to feel a bit squeamish, just... give me a heads up. Okay?"



Applebloom looked down at the ground, taking in a deep breath. "Alright." She said confidently.



Hopefully something small like this could start to ease her mind a bit, but there was always a chance that it could come back and bite me in the flank.