• Published 17th Feb 2015
  • 1,786 Views, 37 Comments

Ebony and Ivory: Mother's love. - SGZone



Chrysalis receives terrible news and finds a very unconventional and scandalous solution.

  • ...
5
 37
 1,786

Chapter 9

Chrysalis woke the next morning refreshed but nervous. Her stomach tightened the moment she rose out of bed. Next to her were the twins’ crib. Alexandrae offered to carry it up when they were done with their little moment. She crept up to the edge of the crib to get a peek of her new bundles of sunshine. The two were still sound asleep, surprising, considering the commotion last night. Chrysalis gently brushed her hand against Ebony’s cheek careful not to disturb them.

“Hello my sweeties.” She cooed. “Today is a big day. Mommy’s more than a little nervous about what may happen.” She continued. “But no matter what they say or what they shout. You two will always be my babies and I will always love you.” She whispered.

Her moment with her new children was cut short by a knock at her door. She tiptoed over and opened it to Papilia.

“Hello Papilia, where’s Arthemis? She always comes up to see me first thing in the morning.” Chrysalis asked.

“Oh, she wanted me to come get you instead this time.” Papilia replied looking sorry.

“Ah, I… I see.” Chrysalis responded more than a bit taken back. ‘It’s fine Chrysalis. Don’t take it personally. She still loves you she’s just… adjusting… after all this is a lot to swallow, and can’t be finished over a single night.’ She mentally reassured herself. Calming the rising fear in her heart. After a deep breath she came back to Papillia.

“Alright well be honest with me how does the room feel down there?” She asked afraid of the answer.

“Well, it’s tense to be honest. No one has been talking. It’s not quite as bad as last night. I think they’ve come to terms with it but not really accepted it and are far from being comfortable.” Papilia responded wincing.

“I see… well I expected that. At least they're willing accept them and try to love them. There’s still plenty of time.” Chrysalis said walking over and pulling her favorite green silk dress from the closet, and slipping it on. She then walked over to the crib once more.

“Wake up Ebony, Ivory,” she sung lifting them with her magic and into her arms. “Come on, don’t be a couple of sleepy heads like me,” she cooed licking Ivory’s cheek. Ivory stretched out his tiny body bumping Ebony in the process and he slowly opened his eyes. The sudden movements awoke Ebony too. He let out a great big yawn squeaking as he did so and stretched out in Chrysalis’s arms.

“Good morning sweeties,” she smiled. Ebony looked at his mother for a moment before turning into her breast closing his eyes once more. “Ebony, wakey, wakey,” she said using her magic to tilt his head away from her breast. Being with the two was quite the learning experience for the young queen. Like how they turned into the chest looking for a nipple to suck. It was quite alarming for the queen when they succeeded one time.

“Papillia I hesitate to ask seeing as you’ve done so much for me already but can you do a tiny favor?” Chrysalis asked.

“Sure! What is it?” She chirped.

“Well seeing as these two are princes now they’re going to need some clothes fitting their title.” She said. “But before that I’m going to introduce them to the Hive. So I’ll need two blankets in the royal colors to be made immediately to present them in. So get our tailors to make two of them if they ask why tell them they are for Arthemis’s hatchlings. Can you do this for me while I feed them?” Chrysalis asked.

“Sure no problem sis. So long as these two remember what good aunt I am.” She cooed tickling Ebony’s belly eliciting a giggle.

“You’re the best aunt they could ask for Papillia.” She laughed. As Papillia took off on her mission Chrysalis made her way down to the meeting room. As she entered she was surprised to see the two booster seats from the nursery already in next to her at the table.

“Oh my who did this?” Chrysalis asked walking over to the table.

“I did. I was asking Papillia if they had seats like the hatchlings so while she was gone I went over and got them.” Replied Alexandrae.

“Thank you Alex.” Chrysalis smiled setting the two down. “Hmmm I need to go get them their food. Do you three mind keeping an eye on them real quick?” Chrysalis asked.

“Chrysalis Belus still has a bit of applesauce left. If they can eat that.” Arthemis offered holding up the half empty jar. Chrysalis gratefully took the jar from her sister.

“Thank you Arthemis. Are you sure Belus won’t want anymore?” Chrysalis asked.

“She’ll be fine this is about how much she eats anyway. Besides I think she’s getting a little chubby.” She replied.

“Chubby? Her, no way she will stay tiny and adorable forever.” She cooed pinching Belus’s cheeks. However, Chrysalis was interrupted by a sharp loud yell from her own child, Ivory.

“Right sorry baby I’m getting your food.” Chrysalis said speeding out of the room still holding the applesauce. This left the three changeling sisters with two creatures they knew nothing about, and were at least slightly nervous of. For the most part Ivory and Ebony paid them no mind instead examining their surroundings. Occasionally playing with their small tables. Until Ebony took interest in Priamus. With some of his fingers in his mouth he babbled loudly at her.

“Umm, hi?” She muttered turning to Alexandrae. “Do you think it wants something from me?” She whispered to her sister.

"I don’t think they can speak yet let alone want something from you.” Alexandrae responded. But before Priamus could respond Ebony shouted once again at his aunt vying for her attention.

“Umm your mother is coming with some food. Okay? Just be calm... sweetie?” Priamus said attempting to soothe the loud babe.

While Ebony tried to grab their attention. Ivory was trying to court the only three people in the room that were interested in him, Arthemis’s hatchlings. The three tiny changelings stared in fascination at their two new guests. They had never seen things quite like them before. Taking the initiative Proteus was the first to make contact. Lifting her stuffed dragon with her magic she threw it at Ivory. The soft object hit Ivory in the side of the head and landed on his table. Ivory grabbed the plushie and began to inspect the dragon putting one of it’s wings in his mouth. Proteus let out a little squeal grabbing the human baby’s attention. Ivory looked at his cousin in confusion still gnawing on the dragon wing. To further their hatchling/baby communications Proteus sent another envoy in her stuffed griffon. Grabbing the offering Ivory began to understand what was happening. While he could not pick up the toys in the strange sparkly cloud he could still throw. Raising the dragon over his head he threw it back with all his might. Which amounted to it just clearing his table before dropping to the floor. The two looked down to where the toy fell. Ivory babbled something to Proteus and Proteus responded back in her own baby-speak. Clearly the failed throw did not hurt their relations.

Seeing his sister getting along with one baby sparked Belus to reach out to the other one. Who was still talking to his aunts. Shouting across the table she grabbed Ebony’s attention. Ebony babbled something back. Before long a fierce conversation was underway between the two.

“Well sounds like they’re getting along.” Chrysalis commented walking into the room with a couple of jars. Noticing his mother’s return Ivory banged on his little table in excitement.

“Well someone’s hungry huh Ivory?” She cooed sitting down and popping open the bottles. Dipping a small spoon into the mashed carrots and holding in front of Ivory.

“Open wide Ivory.” She sang holding the spoon in front of his lips. Ivory devoured the mashed food in one bite. “My you really are hungry sorry for keeping you waiting sweetie.” She said giving him another big spoonful. Growing tired of his brother getting all the attention and the food he howled at his mother for his turn.

“Don’t worry Ebony here you are.” Using her magic she dipped into the applesauce and fed Ebony a big helping. However, seeing Ebony fed the delicious applesauce, which is far superior to mashed carrots, upset Ivory. As Chrysalis held another spoonful of carrots before him he shouted. slapping the spoon from Chrysalis’s grasp.

“Ivory! You don’t slap things from my hand.” She chided picking up the spoon from the table and dipping it once more in the carrots and putting it in front of him. Ivory, however, was having none of it. He yelled and pointed at the jar of applesauce.

“If you wanted applesauce you need to be nicer about it but since you were rude about it, no.” She spoke dipping another spoonful and feeding it to Ebony. Seeing this Ivory shouted even louder this time banging on his table for the applesauce.

“Ivory no. If you want it then you need to ask nicely for it. Softly.” She whispered stroking his head but Ivory wasn’t having it. He cried once more for the applesauce hitting his table.

“Ivory no. We do not act that way to get what we want.” She scolded crossing her arms. Realizing yelling wasn’t going to get him his precious applesauce. He turned to his last resort. Crying. Tears welling up in his eyes the baby gave out a bellowing cry. Alexandrae plugged her ears as the baby howled.

“Ivory! That is enough!” Chrysalis snapped but the baby kept on with it’s ear splitting cry.

“Chrysalis I know what you're trying to do but just give it to him he’s hungry he’s not going to listen.” Arthemis stated wincing from the noise.

“If he wants the applesauce he needs to be gentle about it no exceptions. Ivory calm down!” Chrysalis ordered.

“Chrysalis he is not a soldier he’s not going to stop from you yelling at him.” Arthemis hissed.

“I know that. I was just…” She started but gave up to tend to her crying child. “Ivory sweetie calm down.” She cooed brushing his face with her palm. “If you want it you have to be gentle.” She whispered brushing his hair. “Gentle, Ivory, gentle.” She reiterated brushing his hair but the crying baby would not listen. Instead chose to howl even louder. Chrysalis could feel panic rising in her chest as the baby would not quiet.

‘Why can’t I get him to calm down? I’ve done it before but I had Papilia helping me and she took care of them during the meetings. Oh no, was this all just a mistake what if I’m not cut for this.’ Her breathing began to quicken. ‘What if this was all just a big selfish mistake what if I can’t raise them what if, oh god I’m a horrible mother. I’m just a selfish idiot taking these two on, I can’t…’ She could began to hyperventilate. ‘No Chrysalis get a hold of yourself. You can do this’ She shook her head trying to clear her mind of her dark thoughts and calming herself. ‘You are a queen, you are a leader and you can be a mother. You are a queen. you are a queen. you are a mother.’ Chrysalis’s started to calm down. Her breathing slowed but while she had avoided a panic attack her child was still bawling.

‘Think Chrysalis. You can do this.’ She thought looking at the bottle of applesauce. However, Ebony broke here concentration cooing for more food.

“Sorry sweetie. Um here how about some mashed bananas?” She said opening the other bottle and feeding the baby. Thankfully he had no complaints about the change in menu . However, Chrysalis noticed Ivory stopped crying as she grabbed the bananas and moved it. Silencing him for a moment but he just as picked it back up with renewed fervor. This gave Chrysalis an idea.

“Alright Ivory if you will not ask nicely then the applesauce is going away.” She picked up the jar and moved it away from the table. Seeing his boon get further away from him he began to stop crying and instead feebly reached for the bottle. “Only if your gentle Ivory, gentle.” She whispered the last word much slower. As Ivory began to calm down she inched the bottle back to him. With the bottle coming back to him the tired baby murmured and pointed at the jar.

“Yes Ivory good we have to ask nicely to get things.” She cheered. Dipping into the gooey reserves and feeding the baby. Who gratefully took a big bite of his reward. “Good job sweetie mommy is very proud of you.” She cooed kissing him on the head and then giving him another spoonful while she used her magic to feed Ebony. “Don’t worry Ebony mommy hasn’t forgotten you. My patient little angel.” She whispered giving him a fond lick on the cheek. The two happily ate in silence with Chrysalis switching their fruity food for veggies. Ivory was, as usual, apprehensive at first faced with vegetables. But Chrysalis was able to win him over. As she was cleaning their faces with a wet washcloth. Papilia walked into the meeting room holding a bundle of green, black and silver cloth.

“Papilia I see you got the blankets. You didn’t have to stay you know.” Chrysalis said relieving her of the two blankets.

“Yeah but I wanted to get it over to you as soon as possible.” Papilia responded with a big smile.

“Thanks sister.” Chrysalis said once more staring down at the two blankets that felt heavier than anvils. She could feel the butterflies in her stomach enter a flurry. ‘I’m really going to do it. I’m going to announce to the entire Hive I’ve adopted two humans.’

Papilia put her hands on Chrysaslis’s shoulders and gave them a reassuring squeeze. “It’s going to be alright Chryssie.” She smiled. Chrysalis returned the smile albeit with a slightly sadder one.

“Remember no matter what happens out there. We’re all behind you in here.” Chrysalis turned around to the others.

“I’m not exactly thrilled about this. Nor would I say I’m happy about this but I’ll always support you sister even now.” Alexandrae stated while Priamus nodded.

“So you’re really going through with this?” Arthemis asked.

“Yes, Why do you ask?” Chrysalis asked back.

“Well you clearly showed back there that you don’t know much of what your doing with these two,” Arthemis stated a matter of fact. Her words stung Chrysalis but she did not show it remaining tall and strong. “But I suppose that puts you in the same boat as every parent, I should know, and you should know I’ll always be by your side.” She finished.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chrysalis stood in the dark hallway leading to the balcony of the palace. She nestled the children to her chest. She could hear the buzzing outside of Changelings hovering in the air. She could feel the Hive Mind chatter away at what she was to announce. Her heart was beating out of her chest. She looked down at the twins and they looked at her confusion.

“You two have no idea what’s about to happen or why I’m so scared.” She muttered. “The public must never see a Queen weep or quake in fear.” She heard her mother say. “Sweeties no matter what happens out there. No matter what they might shout always remember from this day on I will always love you.” She whispered kissing them each on the forehead. ‘Now or never.’ She thought, striding to the doors and swinging them open with her magic.

Stretching out in front of her was the entire changeling central hive. Noble and poor stood below her. Some changelings hovered just above the crowd but not high enough to the balcony’s level. Striding forward in all her elegance she stood at the railing. The masses before her cheered at the sight of her presence. Chrysalis smiled at her people but could not wave at them. Upon seeing their beloved Queen was holding something their cheers turned to hushed whispers. Her horn glowed a viridian green and she spoke.

“My changelings I have called upon you for a momentous announcement!” Chrysalis’s voice boomed across the city amplified by her magic. “As you all know it was recently discovered that I am incapable of having changelings of my own!” She shouted. The hushed whispers turned to an awkward silence. “As such, I have been searching for potential heirs and recently I have adopted two children of my own!” She said and the crowd erupted into loud cheers and excited talks. “These are my children. Prince Ebony and Prince Ivory!” She shouted using her magic to lift up the two so that the crowd could better see them. Upon viewing the two babies a deafening silence echoed from the crowd. Chrysalis was not surprised by this reaction. It was what was to come after the shock that scared her.

“I understand your shock and surprise and no your eyes are not deceiving you. My new children and your new Princes are in fact human.” She stated. She could hear shocked gasps from different parts of the silent crowd. “I know this is a shock to many of you and many don’t know what to do with this information. We have been enemies of the Equestrians for years. We have waged countless wars and countless more lives have been lost. From both war and ignorance.” She said sadly.

“Though I have only been your queen for a little over a year now and some of you do not trust my leadership yet. Know this: I will usher in a new era of peace and understanding between us and the world, and these two humans will help bring about that peace. I am Queen Chrysalis, your queen and these are your princes. Prince Ebony and Prince Ivory!” She roared her voice echoing throughout the city. The crowd was heavy with silence.

Out from the crowd, a bellowing shout was hurled at her. “How dare you. You witch! You spit on your parents grave adopting those two beasts!” An older changeling hovered above the crowd. “The humans took my partner from me. I’ll never forgive them and I will never call one of their kind, prince.” He spat. The changeling’s harsh words received cheers of support. As insults were hurled at the Queen. Soldiers tried to get to the heckler but were pushed back by members of the crowd.

Chrysalis was still in shock. She knew there would be resistance. But she didn’t think one of her own Changelings would blatantly hurl such sharp insults at her. Just as she thought the crowd was about to storm the castle another voice, this time female, called from the crowd.

“How dare you!” She roared. Chrysalis looked down and was surprised to see it was not directed at her. A much younger changeling flew up from the crowd and was pointing at the Changeling that attacked her. “You attacked my Queen! It’s old bigoted men like you that are the reason Equestrians fear and hate us. Why we have to live in fear when we step out from our Hives. Well, I’m sick of it! I stand with Queen Chrysalis!” She roared. Surprising members of the crowd cheered for her.

“Traitor!” The old changeling spat. “You’ve barely hatched from your second cocooning and know nothing of the world!” He shouted. A magical bolt sailed into the air. Though it is not known who or where and almost hit another changeling. The crowd erupted into pure pandemonium. Changelings fought changelings and the soldiers tried to quell the quarreling crowd. Two guards ran over to Chrysalis shielding her from the fighting below.

“My Queen you must get out of here. We will escort you.” One of them stated.

“What? No, I must put an end to this before someone gets hurt.” She countered trying to move past them but they would not budge.

“My Queen with all due respect. There is nothing more you can do here. We have called on Royal Sister Alexandrae to put an end to the fighting but we must get you to safety.” The other one said.

Chrysalis looked down upon the violence below. She had to do something but what? She had never encountered something like this before. Her heart squeezed and bled as she knew they were right. Chrysalis nodded and stormed away with the two guards at her flanks.

Chrysalis sat alone in the meeting room taking another big gulp from her wine glass. She had put the twins away for bed a couple minutes before. Her mind was still swirling from the day’s events and in truth, the wine wasn’t helping. Many changelings were injured, some critically. Chrysalis looked up to see Arthemis standing at the other end of the table.

“Hello, sister, come to tell me you were right or something along those lines? Well you chose the best moment. I’m too drunk to care.” Chrysalis slurred.

“How much have you had?” Arthemis asked.

“Two. Wait…” She held up a finger and downed the last of the wine in her glass. “Three.” She finished setting the glass on the table.

“Quite,” Arthemis stated curtly using her magic to lift the wine bottle away from Chrysalis. “And I am not here to gloat or anything of the sort. I’m not cruel. You could have died” Chrysalis couldn’t help but laugh at her words.

“Oh please Arthemis. I was never in any real danger have you forgotten who I am?” She chuckled.

“Have you because this certainly is not like you.” Arthemis stated.

“I fucked up today Arthemis. Ten changelings were critically injured because of me and worse of all one of our own changelings rose up against me. When was the last time a changeling was so brazen in thier to speak up like that to their Queen, hmm?” Chrysalis asked slumping onto the table. Arthemis walked over and began to rub her sister’s back. “Arthemis? Do you think mom would be proud of me?” Chrysalis quivered. Arthemis looked at her sister for a moment.

“Yes, Chrysalis I do think she would be proud. Because I am proud of you.” Arthemis said. “I think what you did today took a lot of courage and I believe you will do great things for this Hive. I don’t exactly love all the methods of it but I love what you’re trying to do.” Arthemis stated. “Here let’s get you to bed things will look better in the morning.” Arthemis said taking Chrysalis’s hand and leading her up to her room.

As Arthemis quietly shut the door behind her Chrysalis tiptoed over to Ebony and Ivory’s crib. “Hello you two.” Chrysalis whispered. “We had a big scary day today huh? But everyone knows now your my babies. Remember what I said today no matter what happens your mother will always love you.” She kissed each of them on the forehead before retiring to bed and drifting off to a much needed sleep.

Author's Note:

Finally, it is done. This marks the end of the first book of Ebony and Ivory's lives. Thank you so much for reading along. Sadly I don't know when the next story will be out but hopefully it won't take too long. Again feel free to comment and criticize.

Comments ( 6 )

i like it and please can you write a sequel for this story

6431491 Wait so the sequel is after they kinda grow up?

6441897 The next story will be mostly a bunch of one-shots of various moments in their lives. Some will be important and some will be just slice of life moments. The story after that is when they're more grown up and in my opinion when the story really takes off as that's what I have spent the most time thinking about.

6442311 Hmmmmmmm I trust you. Impress me!

6543093 Thank you. I wanna say that I looked it up but I probably just heard it from somewhere. That and I figured it was kind of unfortunately common.

Login or register to comment