• Published 29th May 2014
  • 31,535 Views, 3,773 Comments

Fortresshy: The Nine Fathers - Tatsurou



Red team finds a tiny filly in a paper bag. They decide to raise her their way. Hilarity, adorability, and explosions ensue.

  • ...
50
 3,773
 31,535

6: Burning Passion

Pyro hummed happily to himself as he rapidly chopped meat, vegetables, and potatoes as he stood at the kitchen counter. He took his time with each chop, as he was in no rush to finish. The entire group had just had breakfast, after all, and he was preparing dinner. He'd decided a nice, rich, thick stew would be perfect for feeding the huge group. Besides, it let him show his skills in the kitchen off. Spy's recommendation placed him as the primary chef for the group, and he loved how easily his candy cane sunk into the mouths of BLU cherubs-

He paused, closing his eyes as he shook himself again. He didn't need the delusion here. He didn't want it here. He wanted to be normal, healthy, stable. He wanted to be a good parent to Fluttershy. She needed to grow up healthy if she was to take him to Rainbow Land.

Opening his eyes, he once more saw his knife, meat, and vegetables. He turned to his left. There she sat, the rainbow child that so disturbed and invigorated him. She stared up at him, the living rainbow pouring off of her in gentle waves, filling the air around her with foreign color. As he held his hand out to her, she nuzzled him. He gently stroked her head. His mind and body calmed.

He turned back to his work, cutting the ingredients to proper size. He then began braising the beef while he sautéed the vegetables and potatoes, getting everything to the right level of cooking while he prepared the stock. Here he let the rainbows back in carefully, watching the ebb and flow of Rainbow Land as it showed him right when to shift each and every lollipop to make the sparkles become the colors he wanted as they fell into the pot of gold, candies sparkling as they leaped from the pot before falling back in. Happily he added stardust, sprinkles, balloons, marshmallows, butterflies, and apple juice. Taking his mirror, he plunged it into the pot of gold to stir the sparkles into a rainbow slushie, perfect for toppings.

He felt the touch of a small hoof on his arm, and turned. Rainbow Land faded away slowly as he saw Fluttershy staring at the stock pot, her mouth beginning to water. He turned his eyes back. The stock had reached the right heat setting, and the seasonings he'd added were making it release a truly mouth-watering aroma...if his gas mask allowed him to smell it, at any rate.

He happily lifted his spoon from the pot, taking a very small bit of stock with it, holding it carefully over his hand. He blew through his mask several times to cool it, then held it out to Fluttershy to taste. It had been discovered the previous day that, while Fluttershy refused to eat anything made of meat, meat flavors were perfectly fine, and drew her in. So the meaty base of the stock for the stew was perfectly okay for her.

She blew on the spoon a few times herself, then carefully lapped the stock from it. She smiled happily, obviously loving the taste. Pyro smiled happily under his mask. He always enjoyed seeing the smiles he spread, whether with his food, his rambunctious behavior, or his rainbow wand...

He turned back to the pot, stirring a bit more as he made sure nothing stuck to the sides of the pot. Setting the spoon aside, he let the pot simmer to slow cook the stew till evening. He then began preparing a cold lunch for everyone. He struggled to keep himself from slipping back in.

It was hard, so very hard...so much harder than it had been. He'd always believed that Rainbow Land was a product of his own mind, and that conviction allowed him to control when he was in the delusion and when he was in reality. However, Fluttershy made him question. She was real, but she was of the Rainbow Land. Did that mean the Rainbow Land was real?

These questions made the line between the delusion and reality blur, as he began to wonder if it really was delusion. What could Rainbow Land be? If its energy poured from Fluttershy's body, she was from it. If she came from it, it was real. If it was real, then did he somehow slip into it when the world he knew was more than he could take? Where was Rainbow Land, then? Here and not here at the same time?

"HRRRGH!" he finally groaned out, clutching his head as he sank onto his rear, letting the floor catch him. The questions never stopped. He understood so much, could read the world so well. When the team had broken up before the onslaught of the robots, he had made several fortunes running various companies, though he hadn't enjoyed it. He was brilliant, but he couldn't communicate with anyone...and the questions tore his mind apart with their inability to find answers.

A concerned mewl came from his lap. Fluttershy sat there, her forehooves rested against his chest as she stretched up, nuzzling his mask as she stared worriedly up at him.

Pushing his own pain aside, he quickly stroked her mane and under her chin, struggling to reassure her. The more he thought about these things, the harder they were to answer or face...but just spending time with Fluttershy helped him to push it aside. As he held and caressed her, it almost felt like the rainbow light she gave off infused him, pushing aside his stress and replacing it with joy. Standing up, he held her under one arm as he finished making everyone's preferred cold lunch.

Setting them aside, he then prepped another dish of baby food for Fluttershy. They had all agreed that, since they had no idea what sort of creature she was really, they would feed her when she was hungry, until she was full, and then treat her like any infant. He'd felt her stomach rumbling under his hand, so he fished out a clean spoon and began to feed her, still holding her. She really liked being held while she ate.

Once she finished eating, he sat and cuddled her. She didn't like moving around too soon after eating, so he pulled out a coloring book. Laying it down on the table, he pulled out the crayons. He then colored with Fluttershy. She wasn't big enough to hold the crayons yet, but he got around that by doing a color-by-number style. He'd point to an area on the picture, Fluttershy would point to the crayon, and he'd use that color until she pointed to another. They both loved doing this as a leisure activity.

After a time, though, she began to futz, as she wanted to move. Setting her down, he pulled out what he had prepared for this moment. A brightly colored, fluffy ball quickly drew Fluttershy's attention. Seeing her looking up at it in wonder, he dropped it. As it bounced on the floor, it tingled.

Fluttershy ducked behind his boot, hiding from the noise. When it didn't come again, she stepped out carefully, staring at the ball. After a bit, she slowly walked towards it, and gently batted it with a hoof. It tingled as it moved in response to her hoof. She pulled back, but not as far. Walking forward, she batted it again. As she realized the noise came as a response to the ball moving, and she could move the ball, she became curious and excited. She began batting the ball rapidly in eagerness as she chased it across the floor.

Pyro laughed happily as he sat down to watch, keeping a careful eye on her as she played. Her innocent exuberance eased his troubled mind. Perhaps answers weren't as important as joy.