• Published 29th May 2014
  • 31,530 Views, 3,773 Comments

Fortresshy: The Nine Fathers - Tatsurou



Red team finds a tiny filly in a paper bag. They decide to raise her their way. Hilarity, adorability, and explosions ensue.

  • ...
50
 3,773
 31,530

Epilogue 3: Welcome Back

Fluttershy smiled softly as she led Chompy carefully and quietly to her cottage. It was a bit disorienting, having two sets of memories to live with, but she'd found an equilibrium. All important names, dates, places, and relationships were recalled, while she wound up retaining most of the persona she developed while being raised by her Fortress Family, as she'd come to think of them. She idly wondered how they'd react to her Daddy, one of the few stallions of the Equestrian Military with what Daddy Sir would call "a true military mindset", even if he was forcibly retired now. She knew from what Twilight and the others had told her that they'd kept her disappearance mostly a secret, so she knew it would be up to her to explain to her parents why she was so different now, and introducing them to Daddy Sir and the others. However, she could leave that for another day.

She saw all the animals around her cottage, all looking rather worried. However, the first one to sight her - an eagle - let off a pleased cry, soon followed by even more happy welcomes, which were unfortunately curtailed by silent fear. Fluttershy quickly realized what that was about. "Here you go, Chompy," she said, attaching his chain to the shed behind her cottage. "This'll be a good place for you. Now, no eating the other animals, alright?"

Chompy nodded ascent, and all the animals relaxed and proceeded to swarm her in welcome. She giggled happily. "Well, hello all of you," she whispered to them all. "Yes, I'm glad to be back, too. Yes, I am quite different, aren't I? Yes, nothing to worry about, I'm still me. Just a bit more sure of myself, and a bit more of a badflank." She giggled a bit. "It's going to take some getting used to Equestrian colloquialisms, too. It doesn't quite have the same ring as badass. Oh, you like my tattoos? Thank you. Do you think you could help me with my bags, Harry?"

The bear let off a happy roar, lifting up all of her bags.

"Thanks ever so. The weapon crate goes into the shed, and everything else goes to my bedroom. I'll have to do some renovation to make room for Angel." At an inquiry from a squirrel, she chuckled. "Oh no, I mean my mini-gun. Though Angel Bunny's probably been missing his Mommy, hasn't he?" She turned to head into her cottage.

Angel Bunny practically pounced her as soon as she entered, nuzzling into her as he held her tight. "Oh, Angel Bunny," she said happily, leaning down to nuzzle him back. "I'm so sorry I've been gone so long. But don't worry, Mommy's home now." She held him for a while, comforting him. It was amazing to her how easily this came to her, this mothering instinct. It obviously was truly instinctive, ingrained in the core of her being and impossible to overwrite no matter how she grew up.

After a time, Angel hopped back. Reaching into a cupboard, he pulled out a picture of a rather fancy salad and pointed to it. "Well," Fluttershy said softly, "I suppose I can make you a special salad for a special reunion treat. But I'll have to go shopping for a few things, so if you're really hungry you'll have to have some pellet food in the meantime." When he stamped his foot and pointed more insistently, she frowned. "Angel, I said I will have to go shopping first. No matter how much you stomp your foot and insist, that won't change what ingredients are missing or what I have to do before I go shopping." When Angel lowered his ears and made as if to throw a tissy fit, her frown deepened. "And if you throw a fit to try and get your way, you can forget your special salad completely."

Angel's ears shot up and his eyes widened in shock. "That's right, Angel. I know you've been rather domineering in the past, but that ends now. What I say goes, and my word is the final word. And as much as I love you Angel, if you find that an unacceptable way to live, I won't stop you from seeking other living arrangements. I'll make sure you have plenty of rations on your way out, though, and I will miss you and hope you come visit...assuming you survive wild." She turned to start gathering food for all the animals who needed their feeding, as well as checking what ingredients she needed to buy for Angel's salad.

Angel, meanwhile, stared at Fluttershy in shock. He quickly hopped forward, wrapping his forelegs around one of hers and looking up at her beseechingly.

She smiled down at him. "Oh, Angel, I'd never dream of kicking you out, and I'd never want you to leave. You've been with me so long, after all. If you weren't there, there'd be a hole in my heart, and I'd be terribly sad." She nuzzled him comfortingly. "But letting you get away with anything isn't good for either of us. I'm your Mommy, after all, and part of that is setting down rules and guidelines for you, which I've been terribly remiss in." She kissed him between his ears, and he smiled up at her. "Now, I know how I've changed will take some adjustment on your part, but you can handle it right? For me?" Angel nodded happily. "Thank you."

She finished setting out food dishes, then gathered her bits and saddlebags. "I'll be back soon, Angel," she said softly. "Until I'm back, Chompy's in charge." At Angel's surprised expression, she giggled. "He's out by the shed if you want to say hi. I'm sure you'll like him." She then turned and left.

Angel, meanwhile, crossed his arms. While he could adjust to Fluttershy's change - seriously, he'd been praying for the day she could stand up for herself more, although not necessarily against him - he had worked hard to get and maintain his status as top animal of the cottage. All the others knew to defer to him when Fluttershy was absent, and he wasn't about to let that fall apart because of some new guy. He was going out there and he was going to show this 'Chompy' who was boss, whatever Fluttershy said.

This attitude stayed with him as he went out the back door and rounded toward the front of the shed. However, it left him as he made his last hop to the front. His eyes widened as they trailed along the chain to the black metal, and his jaw dropped as his eyes went up...and up...and up. As his eyes finally reached the bottom of the immense jaw, his ears fell back. His eyes kept going up...and up...and up...and up...

Eventually he met the eyes of the creature, and Chompy turned to him. "Arf!" he said companionably.

Angel fell flat on his back, his paws clutching his chest as he struggled to catch his breath.


Fluttershy walked out to the Ponyville market, looking around for the things she needed for the special salad. She already had everything she needed except for asparagus, cherry tomatoes, and a cherry. "Well, this shouldn't be too difficult," she said as she walked through the market. She remembered vaguely that the first time she had tried to gather these ingredients several months back in this world she had run into trouble with rude ponies who wouldn't get out of her way, which meant she didn't make it to the ingredients in time. However, for some reason ponies this time around were leaping to get out of her way. She idly wondered why. However, she reached the asparagus stand with no problems and managed to buy the last bunch.

"Aw, man!" a rather nerdy looking stallion behind her complained, looking down.

She glanced back at him. She hadn't meant to take it from somepony who needed it. She glanced at the size of the bunch. "You know, I don't really need all of this," she said softly, unbinding the bunch. "I'll split it with you if you'll pay me half what I paid. How's that sound?" She smiled sweetly at him.

"Uh-er-I-un-ughuba..." His mouth continued to make unintelligible noises as his face turned red. He finally nodded, offering her the bits.

She smiled as she placed half the bunch in his own bags before taking the bits. "Thanks ever so," she said happily before turning to go, leaving the stallion still blathering as he struggled to regain control of his mouth. Fluttershy couldn't help but giggle.

The cherry tomatoes were purchased without incident and at a bargain price. And then Fluttershy headed towards the cherry stand. She recognized the stallion who had given her such a hard time last time. "How much for a cherry?" she asked him.

"Ten bits," he said firmly, lifting his nose at her.

She smiled. "I'm sorry, I must have misheard you," she said in a sweetly reasonable tone, one that anyone with sense would immediately recognized as a danger signal.

"What, hard of hearing?" he asked jokingly. "I said-"

"Because I know those cherries are from the Jubilee Orchards at Dodge Junction, and I worked there part time not too long ago. I know for a fact that during the heavy season - which this is - they sell the cherries at 2 bits a basket, averaging between 10 and 15 cherries a basket. I also know that transportation costs for cherries in average size loads average out to half a bit per basket. Your sign also proclaims you bought them straight from the orchard. So you can't be selling a single cherry for 10 bits like I thought I heard, because Equestrian statute dictates anything in excess of 100% profit for a middle-merchant like yourself is classified as Predatory Price Gouging, taking advantage of both customers and farmers, and is punishable by a rather steep fine, if not jail time, and revoking of your Mercantile Produce Transportation License."

She smiled sweetly at his slack-jawed face. "Now...what did you say the price was for a cherry?"

"...they're 5 bits a basket," he whimpered.

"I'm feeling generous today since I only need one, so how about 2 cherries for a bit?" she offered.

"Deal," he said quickly, pushing the two cherries forward.

She placed the bit down on the counter before taking the two cherries. "Pleasure doing business with you!" she said sweetly as she turned to go.

"W-welcome back!" he called out with a stammer.

She paused, then smiled wider. "It's good to be back," she said as she headed for home.