• Published 20th May 2014
  • 427 Views, 10 Comments

The last of the Pragons - WolfoftheWaves Pony



When a unicorn family discovers a small filly lost in the woods shortly after a tradgedy, they feel as if their prayers have been answered. But the filly wants more, and will find what she is looking for in an unexpected way.

  • ...
1
 10
 427

Friends?

Silver Lining sat down on the bench outside of her mother's new flower shop. "I'll just be in here, honey, if you need me." The unicorn called out to her seven year-old foal.

"Okay, mom. I'm fine." But she was not fine. The move to Canterlot, so her mother could get better business, had taken its tole on Silver. She reached down and pulled the cloak lower on her face, even though Celestia's hot summer sun was boiling her. There were hardly any ponies out on the street thanks to that same heat, but more where inside her mother's rather cooler shop. Silver would rather stay outside.

A mother and her colt passed by the bench on their way to the shop. Silver took note of them, a light orange pegasus mare and a gray pegasus colt, but made no move to come out from under her shield to greet them. That is, until the colt greeted her instead.

"Hi! Watcha' doin' out here in the sun? It's so hot out!" Silver lining looked up to see the gray pegasus colt hovering a few inches away from her face. She looked away, afraid that he would take notice of her pupil shape. "Whats the matter? Luna got your tongue?"

"Uh..."

"So you CAN speak! Good. Glad to know you're not the silent type." He flew next to Silver and plopped down beside her on the bench. She pressed herself against the railing and prayed to the celestial bodies above that he would leave her alone.

"My name is Thunderhead. What's yours?" He stuck out his hoof in front of Silver's face to shake it. But she just reached up and pushed it away.

"Silver Lining. And I like to be alone."

"Cool. Me too!" The colt scooted a little closer to her, much to Silver's dismay. "Hey! Do you like to play Bird repeater?"

Silver looked at the gray colt. "Play what?"

"Bird repeater! Its a game where you whistle and see which bird whistles back!"

"That sounds pretty boring."

"Its not! Watch!" Thunderhead whistled a familiar bird song. That of a robin. He waited a few moments before whistling again. Then, a bird answered back. "See! I told you. It's fun!"

Silver did have to admit that it was pretty fun, but something in that bird's song made her heart tear in half. It seemed so free, so full of life. The opposite of Silver Lining.

"Thunderhead!" A mare called. "It's time to go!"

"Okay mom!" Silver watched as the gray, black and yellow maned, green-eyed colt flew away with his mother. "Bye Silver Lining!"

"Bye, Thunderhead!" She called back. Her heart sunk.

She had made her first friend, and now he was gone.

~

Thunderhead had lived in Canterlot his whole life. Though being a pegasus in a town that is dominated by unicorns and earth ponies can be challenging. Not many flying buddies.

Though at first the filly on the bench seemed like an earth pony (He could not see her wings beneath the cloak) he quickly made out the slight raises on her sides that looked like wings. He wanted to make friends with that filly right away.

In his mind, it seemed to have gone well. Though his tactic of making friends often did not work out like he always hopes it would. Like the time he tried to make a friend with an earth pony colt named Apple Tart that was visiting Canterlot from Appleoosa.

The conversation went something like this:

"Hi! My name is Thunderhead. What's yours?"

"Uh, Apple Tart."

"Where are ya' from?"

"Um... Appleloosa."

"Cool! What's it like."

"Dry."

"Cool."

"Go away."

"Why?"

"Please."

"Why?"

"Ah don't like ta' be around other ponies."

"Aw come on. Be my friend!"

"MOM!"

And Thunderhead went home that day friendless once again. But that filly was the first one that he had tried to make friends with that did not tell him to out and out "Go away." His hoped where renewed. Maybe now he would finally have a friend!

But Silver Lining was an apprehensive filly, not one to try and make friends herself. She was afraid that if anypony found out that she was a Pragon, then she would be shunned and laughed at.

The loneliness had taken its tole on Silver Lining, though.

If she had a friend, she was determined to keep it. Even that friend would never be able to see what she really looked like underneath her cloak.

But did she have the courage to do so?

That night, it rained. Against the weather team's wishes.

And Silver Lining didn't care.

"Silver, are you sure that you want to come with me?"

"Yes."

"But what about your cloak?"

"I'll keep it on. It won't matter."

"But my friends will ask you why you wear it. What will you say then?"

"It's none of their beeswax."

"That's my sister!"

Track Wheels and Silver Lining where walking side by side together down town towards one of Track's favorite places: the Skating rink. He had asked Silver Lining to come along many times before, but she declined. Ever since yesterday, however, Silver had a change in attitude. She wanted to go. She needed to. Though her older brother never understood why.

But Silver Lining was hoping to see the gray colt again. Perhaps a place where many kids hung out would be the perfect place to start.

Track Wheels levitated his sister on his shoulders. She giggled and screamed, holding down the cloak with her hooves. And off they went.

"Silver Lining! Is that you?" Silver turned to see the gray colt fly up to her, smiling with glee.
"I never thought I would see you here!"

"Uh yeah, well."

"Who's that?" He pointed to Track Wheels, who was standing a few inches behind his little sister.

"My, brother," Silver Lining stated.

"And he's a unicorn?"

"Yes, I am," Track Wheels said, pushing Silver Lining to the side. "My name is Track Wheels. And who. Are. You?" Track leaned in close to the colt. Thunderhead looked ready to bolt. (If you haven't figured out by now, Track Wheels is a little over protective of his little sister)

Silver Lining covered her face with her hoof and sighed. Her older brother often embarrassed her.

She glanced out the window and froze.

It was the white mare. Silver Lining gasped, receiving weird looks from her brother and new friend. "It's you..." She whispered.

"Who's who?" Track Wheels asked, looking outside, seeing nothing.

But Silver could see the white mare. Clear as day. She had wings. She's a pegasus.

Silver Lining rushed out of the skating rink as fast as she could, hoping to meet the mare from her dreams. But, once outside, the mare was gone.

Silver Lining hung her head low, and a tear fell out of her eye. She was vaguely aware that her brother was calling her name.

Comments ( 4 )

The move to Canterlot, so her mother could get better business, had taken its tole on Silver.

Thunderhead whistled a familiar bird song. That of a robin.

Comment posted by WolfoftheWaves Pony deleted May 23rd, 2014

4435908
Thank you for the feedback. I will try to work on that. It is fans like you that help me become a better writer. Thanks! :twistnerd:
Though the bird song sentence was wrote that way intentionally. :twilightblush:

"Its not! Watch!" Thunderhead whistled a familiar bird song. That of a robin.

I think there should be a comma between It and s. Also, the last sentence might sound better if you change the last sentence to "She noticed the song was that of a robin.' Just a suggestion.

Login or register to comment