• Published 20th May 2014
  • 428 Views, 10 Comments

The last of the Pragons - WolfoftheWaves Pony



When a unicorn family discovers a small filly lost in the woods shortly after a tradgedy, they feel as if their prayers have been answered. But the filly wants more, and will find what she is looking for in an unexpected way.

  • ...
1
 10
 428

A Small Cry

The small, dark green unicorn colt sat alone in his bedroom, gazing out his window at the dark, rain-washed streets below. The whole scene seemed almost peaceful to him, and he would have felt the same sereneness as the scene before him if it was not for the events that happened the day prior. He turned his head away from the window and closed his eyes, sighing.

He felt like a huge part of his life had been thrown away, down in the trash, for no pony to ever see it again. His mother told him that it just never would have happened, that the foal just wasn't right. But the colt, Track Wheels, felt as if a huge part of his heart had been ripped out of him, leaving him to bleed his sorrow. Even his own older sister, whom he saw as a mentor, pushed down her usual cheeriness and put it under lock and key. Track Wheels needed to see her smile, to get reassurance from the yellow unicorn, but he got nothing.

"I could've had a brother," He thought to himself. "I would've been a big brother, a mentor, just like Lula hearts is to me. Or was. I don't know if I will ever see her smile again." Indeed, it seemed as if all the life was sucked out of that small, Baltimare apartment.

Track Wheels felt like he couldn't take it for long. The sorrow, the sadness, the heart broken smell to the air (if heartbroken had a smell), and the melancholy feel was enough to make Track Wheels feel like he was trapped in an endless cycle of gloom.

Slowly, a small tear spilled out of his right eye. he wiped it away, for even though no one was watching, he did not want ponies to see him cry. He was, after all, a tough skate boarder.

He paced around the dark corners of his room, thinking off all the fun times him and his brother could have shared.

Suddenly, his eyes fell on the rain coat that his father had bought him when the family went on their trip to rainbow falls and it rained the whole way there.

The coat worked wonders keeping him dry, and if it worked then, it should work now. Levitating coat over to him with a yellow aura, he slipped it on over his head and pulled up the hoodie, preparing for his trek outside.

He slowly opened his door and stuck his head out into the small, cramped hallway, hoping that he would not awake his sleeping parents. He carefully closed the door behind him and trotted quietly into the tiny living room cluttered with baby things that would never be used.

He was about to open the front door when he heard a small voice behind him.

"Track Wheels, what in Equestria are you doing?" he whirled around to see his sister standing in the doorway that led from the bedrooms to the living room. Her long, pink, red streaked hair was down opposed to her normal ponytails, and she seemed fully awake and not sleepy like Track Wheels had just awoken her.

Track Wheels felt frozen in place. If he told Lula Hearts what he was about to do and she disapproved, then she would most certainly tell their parents and he would be grounded for the month, or worse, the rest of his life!

Yet he couldn't NOT tell her, for she would bug him to no end until she found out the truth. Either way, Track Wheels was sunk.

"I was just, uh, about to head out for a little walk, and, um..."

"In the middle of the night!?!?" Lula Hearts said. Track Wheels nodded, fearing that it would be the end of his life as he knew it. His sister was just too over-protective, supported by her double heart cutie mark showing off her caring personality. "Can I come with you?" She asked.

Wait a minute. Did he hear that right? Lula wants to do something irresponsible with him? "Seriously?" Track Wheels asked her. "You want to come?" Lula Hearts blushed, then nodded.

"I couldn't sleep. I just, kept thinking about..." Lula stopped. She didn't need to say it. Track Wheels could understand perfectly what she meant, for he felt the same thing. His sister was not one to stay on one topic for a very long time, but lately she seemed like a different Lula. Which wasn't surprising, since she had to endure both the lost of their still-born baby brother and the bullies at her new middle school. Track Wheels looked up to her for that, being able to stand tall even with the bullies, but now that he has seen the vulnerable, cautious side to his sister, it made him even sadder than before. And besides, it would be nice to have his older sister with him while he walked.

"Sure, yeah, I guess," He said. Lula smiled and rushed into her bedroom, coming out with a matching rain coat to Track Wheel's. She opened the door with her magic and they ran outside, in the dead of night.

Lula Hearts was not sure where her and her little brother would go. Baltimare was a very dangerous place a night, especially for little foals like her and her brother, but she knew that she needed to get out of that apartment. The feeling of depression was killing her, and she wanted to make it end once and for all. But even out here, miles from their home, the oppressive feeling still lingered, like it was clinging to their very souls, threatening to do them in. She shook her head, trying to rid herself of such ridiculous ideas. They where not going to die.

Not like...

They where going to name him Silver Lining. She could remember when they first found out the gender, and they named him right then and there.

They where at the hospital, waiting already what seemed like hours to Lula, but where actually only ten minutes. Lula became fidgety and anxious, not wanting to wait another second.

They where going to do an Ultrasound on her mothers belly, which already had swollen up to the size of a water melon at that time. Judging by her book on foals, Lula Hearts could tell that at about this time of the pregnancy, they should be able to tell the gender. She was literally bursting with excitement, and when they where called up she almost tripped because she was running. Her mother only laughed at her.

After her mother had stretched out on the hospital bed and the doctor spread the blue gel on her stomach, the picture came up on the screen behind the doctor. Lula just stared at it, seeing her baby brother for the first time. She could see his heart beating, and his little horn stuck up from his head just like hers. She felt in love with the baby already.

"Would you like to know the gender?" The doctor asked. Lula nodded fiercely and her mother laughed.

"Yes. We would like to know," She said. The doctor looked closely at the screen and said,

"A colt."

Lula was jolted out of the flashback when they came upon the forest that bordered the town. Track Wheels had stopped dead in his tracks in front of her. Had she really been so caught up with her thoughts that she didn't notice that they where approaching the forest? And why hadn't Track said anything? He never really liked the forest either, even though he claimed to be a super tough skate boarding pony. Perhaps he was lost in his own thoughts as well.

Track Wheels looked up at Lula Hearts with the same color red eyes as her own, a mix of uncertainty and bravery plastered on his face.

She knew the look all to well.

"Oh no, Track Wheels, we are NOT going in there."

"Aw come on, Lula. Like that dark forest is really any different than our dark apartment." She realized that he was right. That forest seemed happier and cheerier than their own home, as weird as that sounds. Plus, ponies take walks on the trails in there all the time. It shouldn't be that bad, right?

Right?


Track Wheels really just wanted to go into the forest because it matched his mood. Dark and cold, unforgiving. He felt that way right now. Mournful, blue, and bitter to all that was around him. He felt like he wanted to punch something, like that tree coming up on his left. Sure, he was a little scared. The forest was no place for two foals to be wandering into it at night, while it was raining, but it was far less intimidating than the Everfree.

CRACK!

"What was that!?!" Track Wheels said aloud. He looked down and saw that he just merely stepped on a twig. Lula Hearts giggled but one look from Track and she shut up. He shook his head and continued to walk froward. A bird fluttered out of a tree and this time Lula jumped out of her skin. Track laughed and laughed and laughed. Lula sat down and crossed her hooves, sticking her lip out at her little brother.

"Not funny, Track Wheels," She said.

"Yes it is," Track said, rolling his eyes. "Besides. It's, revenge!" Lula and Track laughed together, and for a moment, all of their worries and pains melted away with the rain, pooling at their hooves and begging to come back, but the laughter refused.

Suddenly, the two foals heard a sound, like that of a newborn foal crying. It was soft and pitiful, and rougher sounding than a pony's.

A small cry.

Author's Note:

Hey! Hope you all enjoyed it! WolfoftheWaves Pony out. PEACE!