• Published 25th Apr 2014
  • 16,026 Views, 406 Comments

Instant Mom - SeasonTheWiccan



When Rainbow Dash takes in a baby Pegasus left on her doorstep, she learns what it means to be a mother to a child with special needs when it's revealed that she is completely blind.

  • ...
14
 406
 16,026

Growing Up

After 3 years worth of holidays, birthdays and, not to mention, surviving the terrible twos - Rainbow applied Cumulus at the local public school. She would be attending in the fall, which was in 3 months. Rainbow considered homeschooling her, to spare her the cruelty the other foals might thrust upon her. Twilight, however, said that it would be good for her to be socialized and sending her to Ms. Cheerilee's would be best. Rainbow was reluctant, but soon realized that she was right, Little Cue would have to be around other ponies besides her mother and aunts.

During the summer months, she learned how to read Braille (Rainbow couldn't thank Twilight enough for the lessons) Twilight even got Cumulus the Braille versions of all the Daring Do books as well as some history books so she could get a head start. The rest of her aunts offered their talents as well as Cumulus grew up. Applejack offered her wisdom (as well as an extra gingerbread cookie when Rainbow wasn't looking), Rarity made her clothes for special occasions (and her onesies as a baby), Pinkie made her laugh when she was down and threw her birthday parties (all surprise parties, it was very easy to surprise Cumulus), Fluttershy often foalsat her when Rainbow was on weather duty and gave her singing lessons in the process.

Cumulus was just as nervous about school as her mother, what would the other foals think of her? She asked her mother, she simply said that they would like her. She once asked her what her eyes looked like so she could know if they knew she was blind by looking at her, Rainbow hesitated before telling her the truth that they were grey and clouded. She knew better than to lie to her, it didn't make her feel right to do so, because in the back of her mind she knew that she would find out eventually. Cumulus wondered what 'grey' looked like; by the way her mother said it - it didn't sound like an attractive color. Cumulus didn't say this to her mother or aunts because they would tell her that she didn't need it. What she wanted more than anything was to see the things she wanted to see the most! Even if it was just for a moment. She had a list of all the things she wanted to see that she had typed on the typewriters she had in her room (one typed regular text and the other typed in Braille and the letters on the keys were in Braille so she could know what she was typing.) So far on this list, she had 10 things:

1. My Aunts
2. The Sun
3. The Moon
4. The Stars
5. A Rose
6. The color blue
7. The Sky
8. A Rainbow
9. The Royal Sisters
10. Mommy

She kept the list stashed away; she typed it twice, one in Braille for her to keep - the other in regular print for her to give to Princess Celestia, hoping she could grant her long time wish. She especially wished she could see her mother when she couldn't sleep at night, she knew the way to her mother's bedroom by heart and she also followed the sound of her snoring. The creaking of the door opening made he snort awake. "Cumulus?"

She heard Rainbow get out of bed and walk towards her, "What are you doing up?"

"I can't sleep."

Rainbow learned from Dr. Binky that with Cumulus being blind, it was going to affect her sleep. She wasn't going to be able to tell whether or not she was asleep most of the time. Rainbow put her arm around Cumulus' shoulder and nuzzled her. She then took Cumulus in her arms and flew gently to her bed and tucked them both in. Cumulus felt her mother hold her close and stroke her mane. Cue was very sure she was facing her mother's chest as she did this, she felt her mother's soft coat in her face and the smell of the sky on it.

"Mommy?"

"Hm? What is it?"

"Will I ever get to see what you look like?"

Rainbow was surprised by the question but remained calm, "The doctor said it...it's a miracle only honey."

"What does that mean?"

"It could happen - but it probably won't. I'm sorry."

She let that sink in for a few minutes before Cumulus spoke again, "Mommy, do you want me to see?"

Rainbow smiled and kissed her forehead, "I wouldn't change you for anything."

"But, I wanna see you! I'm tired of seeing black all the time, and I just - "

"Cue...listen to me very well. You don't need your eyes to see."

"How...how is that possible?"

"You've seen me ever since you were a baby, you knew the sound of every move I made. You even knew who I was by the sound of my voice."

"But how does that mean I can see you?"

"You see with your ears, you're blind for a reason Little Cue...you just need to find out why."

"Can't you find out for me?"

Rainbow laughed, "No, that's something you need to find out for yourself."

Cumulus wasn't fond of her mother making riddles for her to figure out herself in the future, but, she snuggled deeper and closer to Rainbow and yawned, "Goodnight Mommy, I love you."

Rainbow's heart swelled as she choked back tears of joy, "I love you too."

In truth, Rainbow sometimes wished her Little Cue could see, she wished Cumulus could share the joy of flying with her, teach her some of her tricks and Cumulus would be the future weather captain! But since she was blind and would permanently be blind, there was no point in wishing for it to happen. So she quickly took her wish back.

One day, Cumulus got a taste of how everypony treats you differently in this world if you have a disability like hers. Rainbow decided to take Cumulus to Cloudsdale with her because: she had official business with the weather factory, the fact that all her other babysitters were booked (Scootaloo and the rest of the CMC graduated 2 years ago and were now busy with their jobs. Scootaloo was now a professional Stunt Master, Sweetie Belle was now an actress and singer on Bridleway, and Apple Bloom was doing wood work at Sweet Apple Acres.) and Rainbow thought it would be a good experience for Cumulus to know where her mother grew up and Cumulus' origins. But the tour would have to wait, Rainbow had to get to the meeting with the manager of the weather factory.

Cumulus had to wait outside the office while Rainbow went inside to discuss next month's weather plans for Ponyville. While she waited, Cumulus sat on a bench not far from the door and pulled a book of her favorite fairy tales out from her saddlebag. She began decoding the little bumps her hooves touched when she heard hoofsteps approaching her, though she didn't pay any attention to it at first. Then one of them spoke, "Hey!"

Her head shot up as she jumped at the sudden, sharp voice of a colt, making her drop her book.

"What are you doing in here?"

"I-I'm waiting for my Mommy, she's in the office."

Cumulus looked straight ahead, she knew they were a few yards away to her right but at the same time she didn't want to draw attention to her being blind. Even when going through Ponyville with her mother, she could feel the sympathetic glares and the looks of confusion burning her skin. But, the fact that she didn't pick up her book right away raised an eyebrow for them.

"Are you going to pick that up?"

"Umm...yes?"

She reached down, feeling around for the book, but couldn't find it. She then heard one of the Colt step in front of her and pick up the book.

It was when he was handing it back to her that he saw the eyes, "Sweet Celestia! She's blind!"

"Seriously?" asked another colt.

"Yeah I'm serious! Look!"

She heard the other one come over and examine her.

"I've never heard of a blind Pegasus," the other colt said.

"What's your name?"

"Cumulus."

"That's a nice name...where are you from?"

"Ponyville."

Rainbow then came out and saw the two colts that picked on her and Fluttershy at Summer Flight Camp. They were talking to Cumulus with grins that said, 'what a freak!' That was when Rainbow got defensive.

"You two!" she exclaimed, Cumulus shrank into the bench; she'd never heard her Mom yell at others like she did when Cumulus was in trouble.

They jumped when they saw Rainbow, "Oh...Rainbow! Hey! Uhhh...this one yours?"

Rainbow only scowled at them and said, "Come here Cumulus."

Cumulus clutched her book and obeyed her mother.

They then began insulting her directly, while Cumulus was standing right there.

"I didn't know you turned into a softie!"

Rainbow shot back at them, "For a very good reason!"

"I always thought you'd have an athlete for a kid not...that!"

Rainbow was resisting the urge to pounce on them and pound them, but she had to set an example. So instead, she picked up Cumulus and flew out with her.

They stopped at a restaurant in Cloudsdale for lunch after Rainbow's little tour was over. Rainbow ordered a veggie burger and Cumulus ordered a carrot hot dog and fries. They were waiting for their orders when Rainbow thought of what those two colts said about Cumulus and worried, were the foals at school going to do the same thing to her? She couldn't bear the thought of Cumulus coming home crying into her pillow. She was such a timid and spry filly; her feelings could really get hurt and Rainbow would have no advice for her. This was her worry, not being able to tell her how to fix the problem besides telling her to go to her teacher. Rainbow let a few tears come out with a couple sniffles.

Cumulus heard her, "Don't cry Mommy."

Rainbow quickly wiped the tears away, "I'm okay honey it's...it's fine."

"I don't like what they said either."

Rainbow smiled wholeheartedly and said, "Don't let anypony compare you to me. Ever."

"I won't I promise."

Rainbow hoped so, when the waitress came around she made a quick glance at Cumulus' eyes as she handed Cumulus her food then looked at Rainbow Dash who looked like she was burning holes into her head. The waitress then handed Rainbow her food and left.

Rainbow knew she wouldn't be able to keep up with this, but she also knew that she'd have to let her baby go. In a couple months, she'd be attending school and Rainbow was already feeling anxious.