• Published 25th Apr 2014
  • 15,971 Views, 406 Comments

Instant Mom - SeasonTheWiccan



When Rainbow Dash takes in a baby Pegasus left on her doorstep, she learns what it means to be a mother to a child with special needs when it's revealed that she is completely blind.

  • ...
14
 406
 15,971

Spread Your Wings!

After that night, the bond between Cue and Rainbow was even stronger. The next day, they left to get home in time to prepare for the next big event, the talent show.

Rarity didn't mind making another gown for Cue, she felt that her niece needed to look beautiful for her debut. The dress she made was a dark purple/blue velvet gown. Her bangs were combed to the side and her mane was tied off at the end like her mother's at her first Gala. The show itself was two weeks away and Dandelion made sure that Cue and Autumn were at rehearsals on time at the treehouse; she certainly kept them on their toes at rehearsals. She let them know what they were doing wrong, how to do this part, save you breath for that part etc.

And finally, after weeks of hard work, the night arrived! Cue was backstage with Autumn and Dandelion and feeling nervous to the point of throwing up. Luckily for her, they were the last act and that gave her some peace of mind.

Rainbow, the rest of the 6 and Spike were in the audience waiting for the show to start when Ms. Cheerilee stepped onstage. "Good evening everypony, I hope you enjoy the many talents of my students tonight. I know that they put a lot of time and effort into their acts. And now, for our first act, I present Class Clown!"

Class Clown was - well - the class clown. He was very funny and entertaining but sometimes he overshot it and got annoying. He actually got his cutie mark in stand up comedy, which just so happened to be his act.

He stepped onstage with a confident smile, when he was on center stage and the applause died down, he began.

"Well, I had an interesting morning...got up, had breakfast...watched my 2 year old brother try to shove a cherry up his nose...."

The audience laughed at this.

"Yes, my brother is hitting those terrible twos and, let me tell ya - now I know why they are called the terrible twos. I thought they were kidding but no! They're little monsters! Always breaking things - especially when they are COLLECTIBLE! Always acting like they run the house..."

He went on for 5 minutes making jokes about his little brother before he ended. When he got offstage, Ms. Cheerilee came back onstage to announce the next act and it went on from there.

When it was almost time for Cumulus to go on, she felt sick to her stomach.

'You can do this,' she told herself.

The act before her finished, which involved juggling while riding a unicycle and telling knock knock jokes, Ms. Cheerilee stepped on for the final act.

"Well, I hope you all enjoyed yourselves this evening. But don't leave yet, because we have one more act. Please help me in welcoming Cumulus and Autumn Leaves."

Cumulus gulped as she heard the audience cheer, she walked out on to the stage guided by Autumn to her position. Autumn then sat on a stool got the acoustic guitar ready. Cumulus knew her family was out there and she only thought of them as Autumn started playing; Cue then sang the song from her heart to her mother who was so touched by the song. She knew it was for her.


'You tucked me in, turned out the light
Kept me safe and sound at night
Little girls depend on things like that

Brushed my teeth and combed my hair
Had to fly me everywhere
You were always there when I looked back

You had to do it all alone
Make a living, make a home
Must have been as hard as it could be

And when I couldn't sleep at night
Scared things wouldn't turn out right
You would hold my hoof and talk to me...' she sang. She sang it simply but the lyrics were from her heart. And Rainbow saw this and was getting a little misty eyed as she continued.

When the song was over, Cumulus felt at ease as the guitar ended and everyone in the audience applauded. Meanwhile, Rainbow was in tears, the song was beautiful and it got to her. When it was time for the awards, Cumulus and Autumn ended up getting 1st place! Cue was beaming with pride, as was Rainbow!

Rainbow and the others went to congratulate them, "Great job kids!" said Applejack.

"Thanks," said the Earth Pony colt.

"We're all very proud of you!" Twilight praised.

"Thank you," Cumulus blushed.

Rainbow came up to her as Dandelion and Autumn's own parents came to give them their congrats. Rainbow was speechless; the silence from her mother made Cue nervous. Did she like it?

Rainbow was touched that Cue wrote and performed the song for her, but again, it reminded her that her Little Cue would grow up and someday leave. This thought saddened her, but that was the thing with raising a foal - you wished they could stay young forever.

"Mom? Are you okay?" Cue asked.

Rainbow quickly dried her eyes, "I'm fine...just fine."

"You didn't like it? I worked so hard on it..."

"No Cue...I loved it! It's just that I need to deal with the fact that you're growing up. And that's hard for me, because I want you to be my Little Cue."

Cumulus now understood why her mother was silent at first.

"I'm sorry, I'm didn't mean to - "

"It's not your fault, it's no one's fault. The song was beautiful."

Rainbow nuzzled her, feeling happy to have gotten that off her chest.


One week later, Rainbow decided it was time for her Little Cue to REALLY fly.

"Are you sure about this?" Cue asked. They were standing on the doorstep of their house, and Rainbow told her that she would hold her up while she flapped her wings.

"I'll be right here, okay? I won't let go."

This was a lie, she hated lying to her.

"Okay..."

Rainbow picked her up and held her up above with a hoof. Rainbow remembered doing this for Scootaloo at Windsam Falls all those years ago. Only that time she didn't let go because Scoots wasn't ready yet. When she felt that Cue was ready, she would let her go.

Rainbow flapped her wings and went upwards with Cumulus flapping her wings above her. They began flying over Ponyville when Rainbow felt Cue lifting off of her hoof. She slowly lowered her hoof, and Cue was flying by herself for a few minutes when she realized that her mother's hoof was gone! This caused her to become distracted and fall a few hooves.

"Whoa!"

She began flapping her wings again, bringing her back up.

"Just focus Cue."

"Okay, you...you said you wouldn't let go."

"I know, but you need to fly by yourself, I knew you were ready. You want me to prove it to you?"

"How?"

Rainbow flew to a nearby cloud and called, "Cue, come towards me! You'll be fine!"

Cue still looked uneasy.

"Cue, do you trust me?"

"Yes..."

"It's okay, I Pinkie Promise that you're going to be okay."

Cumulus gulped, "Okay..."

There was a little strain with her flying forward, but she did it! She flew!

When she reached Rainbow, she was caught with a hug, "You did it!"

"I...I can't believe I did it!"

"Well believe it Cue!"

Cue was so happy that she pinned her mother over as she hugged her, the mother and daughter held each other tightly. They then sat next to one another on that same cloud, Rainbow's wing keeping her Little Cue close to her as Celestia lowered the sun, creating the most beautiful sunset.

Rainbow kissed her daughter on the side of her head, "I love you Cumulus."

"I love you too Mommy."

"And I always will," Rainbow whispered.



The End.