• Published 16th Apr 2014
  • 328 Views, 0 Comments

The Adventures of Young Daring Do: The Lost Island of Geos - TheExhaustedBrony



A young Daring Do discovers an ancient civilization and her plans to gather information for a report turn into an adventure.

  • ...
 0
 328

Chapter 1: Landing on Geos

"Remember, these reports are worth eighty-three percent of your total grade for this course so it goes without saying that you should take this seriously. You have three months to gather research and hand in your reports, so I will not accept late work. Do I make myself clear, Miss Yearling?"

The salty air of the ocean wafted into Daring's nose and effectively shook her out of her trance. The reminder that her excursion is for school and not strictly for fun brought Daring's mood down a little. It's not that she didn't like school. On the contrary, she absolutely loved learning new things about the world but would much rather be teaching herself than being stuck in a classroom. Still, she couldn't deny her excitement for setting her hooves on an uninhabited island. Even if it's for school, it's an opportunity she would never refuse to take. She looked out across the ocean and saw that the island was much closer now than it was when she last checked. She figured it was only about half a mile away. It wouldn't be long before she would set her hooves on the beach and explore a deserted island.

As she drew nearer, she spotted a cove and figured that it would be the best place to land her boat. Daring Do dropped the anchor and climbed into the water which quickly became shallow. The beach had a very high rocky outcropping that loomed over the sand. It was hard to make out what was up there, but she did see buildings on her way in.

“So this is Geos, huh?” Daring Do tipped her hat back as she gazed upon the stone remnants of a lost civilization, “I wonder when was the last time anypony set a hoof on this island.”

Daring Do walked along the beach searching for a path with the least resistance to move inland. However, it didn't take long before she came across a long set of stone steps.

"Just like all ancient civilizations, these guys sure loved stairs." Daring chuckled and began ascending.


When she made it to the last step, she was about ready to pass out. Even though it was only four hundred steps, the sun beating down on her the whole way sapped the energy out of her.

"Dear Celestia why for the love of all things in Equestria!? Why did ancient civilizations insist on having so many stairs?!" Her whining only lasted for a moment, however, as she focused her gaze on the many stone buildings that were covered in overgrowth as the jungle gradually took back the land. It truly was the remnants of a lot culture and the thought of being able to explore it rejuvinated her.

“Are you lost, meatling?”

Hearing a voice that was not her own nearly stopped Daring's heart. She turned around to confront the owner of the voice and was shocked to see a large creature that donned a large white mask and a top hat. Its posture was like that of a pony but what was most strange was its physical features. The whole body looked like it was covered in tree bark and its legs were long and thin like twigs.

The creature cleared its throat, “I'll ask again, meatling. Are you lost?”

“N-N-No. No, I don't think so. This is Geos, right?”

“Oh, so you've done your homework,” the creature tipped its hat, “what brings you to my island, meatling?”

“I thought this island was deserted.”

“Well it isn't. The island of Geos is home to spirits and I am the mayor of this town. You are tresspassing. I suggest you turn around and get out."

“So there are more beings like you?”

“Yes. You shall address me as, Mayor."

“Could I ask you a few questions?”

“No.” The Mayor answered bluntly.

“O-okay then...”

"I'll ask you one more time," The Mayor leaned in closer to Daring, enough so that she could see the grain on his wooden mask, "what are you doing here?"

“I'm just here to gather a few plant samples for a research paper. Nothing more, nothing less.”

The Mayor scoffed and adjusted his hat, “Whatever business you have here, I want you to conduct it and leave.”

Daring Do let out a sigh of relief, "T-Thank you."

“You have my permission to get what you need, but remember that you are not welcome here. Consider this a warning, meatling.” The Mayor then floated into the air and vanished in a cloud of dust and leaves.

It took a few minutes for Daring Do to process what had just happened and once she got her thoughts in order, she decided to begin exploring. She walked along the stone path towards a building with a blue door and was stunned to see that the doors slide open. What was more surprising was what was behind the door. Standing before her was a massive figure that seemed to be constructed out of driftwood and crudely resembles the shape of a pony. Daring widened her stance and prepared herself to run if the creature looming over her was hostile.

“Who you be? Why you in my house?” It asked with a deep, slow voice.

Daring lost her balance and was caught completely by surprise. She decided to play it cool and stay on its good side, “Me? I'm nobody. Just passing through and exploring, that's all.” Daring Do said, attempting to put on her best poker face.

“It okay. Me no mind. Bellringer don't get many visitors.”

Daring Do relaxed a bit, figuring that the creature before her was a gentle giant, “Is Bellringer your name?”

“Yes.” He nodded, “It my job to ring bell and open door to other quarter.”

“Other quarters?”

“I open door to other place where spirits live.”

Daring raised an eyebrow in curiosity, “Are there others like you here?”

“Yes."

"Could I ask you a few questions, Mister Bellringer?" Daring Do started rummaging through her bag for her notebook.

Bellringer scratched his head, "Uhhhhh... you go talk to Trainer. He know more better than me. He smart. He live in red house above sand.”

"Oh," she took her hooves out of her bag, "thank you. It was nice talking to you.” Daring Do left the Bellringer's home and began looking for the one called Trainer.

"Bye pony."


Daring Do walked among the stone buildings and noticed other wooden creatures like Bellringer. Even though the town looked rather run down, it was beautiful in a way that only an adventurer can appreciate. After walking around for a bit more, she found a pathway that went out over the beach. She could see her boat below her, “I guess this is what he meant by 'above sand.'”

Sure enough, the young adventurer spotted the red house and went inside. The interior was very small, Daring estimated that about four ponies could fit comfortably, the walls were lined with shelves and were decorated with strange artifacts. However, this time, there was a much thinner wooden being inside to greet her.

“Oh, a visitor!” Its wooden limbs creaked as it spoke. Daring feared that it'd fall apart at any moment.

“Are you Trainer?”

“I am, how did you know?”

“I talked to a guy named Bellringer and he told me to come to you.”

“So you've already met Bellringer. Nice guy, right?”

Daring Do nodded, “Doesn't seem too bright though.”

“Yea,” the creature paused, ”but anyway, how can I help you?”

“I'm looking to find plant samples for a report, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.”

“Well, we've got plenty of pretty flowers, if that's something you'd need.” Trainer said.

“That's perfect! Where can I find them?”

“They're all over the place. They're quite common on the island.”

“What does it look like exactly?”

“It's white.”

There was a moment of awkward silence as Daring expected the description to be just a bit more elaborate.

“Yes?” Daring Do asked, breaking the silence.

“That's it.”

“That's it?”

“Yep. Trust me, you can't miss it. You'll know it when you see it, miss..?”

“Daring Do.” The mare proudly stated. She figured there's no reason for her to use her real name here and preferred Daring Do anyway. She was always jealous that her parents had named the dog Daring Do.

“Well, Miss Do, the constructs of Splitwood welcome you to Geos.”

“Constructs? I thought you were called spirits?”

“Well, you being new here, it's not surprising that you wouldn't know that the ones wearing the white masks are spirits and the ones made of wood are constructs. Why don't you have a seat, I don't know how long this explanation might take.”

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment