• Published 14th Mar 2014
  • 2,024 Views, 10 Comments

Desperate Measures - ElementOfDestiny



Applejack is participating in a tournament of 'Snowboarding'. Rainbow Dash decides to take risky attempts to make sure her friend wins.

  • ...
7
 10
 2,024

All I want...is you


Desperate Measures

[One-Shot]

❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

Little flakes of snow blandly fell from the greyish skies above. It was another cold and bitter winter afternoon for Ponyville. Applejack sat down and patiently waited for the train to arrive. Today was a big day for the pony of honesty. She secretly had a different and extreme hobby; a hobby she kept everypony from knowing. There was only one who knew about her secret and that was her best friend, Rainbow Dash. A snowboarding tournament was being held and Applejack was nominated for being one of the contestants.

"Hey, Applejack!" Applejack jumped out of her seat on the bench. She turned her head and there she saw all five of her friends with smiles. "Ya ‘bout scared the cider out of me!"

"Sorry, Rainbow Dash told us all that you're going to some sort of tournament?" Twilight curiously asked.

Applejack narrowed her eyes on her rainbow-colored friend. "Well… she's right–"

Suddenly there was a loud whistle of the train, as it arrived right in front of them. It came to a complete halt and a stallion in a navy-bluish suit stepped off the enormous steel machine.

"All aboard! For Equestria Ski Resort!" yelled the conductor.

Everypony simultaneously turned their heads towards Applejack with a look of confusion.

"Ah'll explain on the way there…" Applejack made a hesitant laugh. "If ya want to come, ya more than welcome to." The group shrugged at one another and complied as they made their way into the train. After everypony was seated and settled in, the train blew its loud whistle and began its departure.

A few minutes later, all eyes were on Applejack again.

"Applejack we're all curious to know... What kind of contest will you be attending?"

The earth orange mare made a quick glance over at Rainbow Dash. Who nodded with a smile, telling her to go on and explain. "Well… Ah'm not the best for explainin' things." Applejack paused for a second.

"Ya'll heard of snowboardin'?"

Everypony shook their head.

To no surprise, Applejack figured that would be the response she'd get. "Okay, well it's an extreme winter sport. That requires commitment and, most of all, balance. Ya basically stand on a board that straps to yer back hooves and slide down a hill."

"That's it!?" Rainbow Dash laughed hysterically at how simple it sounded.

Applejack rolled her eyes. "It's a lot complicated than ya think, Rainbow..."

After an hour or so, during the train ride, Applejack and Rainbow Dash got into another one their little arguments.

Fluttershy huffed a deep sigh and looked out the window.

"Are we almost there yet?"

"I sure hope we are… those two have been at it for quite some time now," replied Twilight in a annoyed tone, as she desperately tried to read her book in peace.

Rarity was simply chillin' in her seat with headphones. Listening to some back-street-colts kind of music. Pinkie Pie sat down and watched the argument proceed further. Her ice-bluish eyes shifted side to side of the two argumentative ponies.

"Well! Maybe if ya just listened sometimes, ya would know what to expect, Rainbow!"

"What would you know about that, Applejack?!"

"Ah know a lot of things!"

"Ha-ha! Right, says the earth mare that bucks apple trees!"

Applejack was taken back, she narrowed her eyes into a intimidating glare. She wasn't one to back down and Rainbow knew it all too well that she crossed the line on that remark. She gulped, knowing that glare was only the beginning to something she'd regret.

"Oh! Ya really wanna go there!?" Applejack growled. "Okay! Says the pegasus that napped one day in mah tree! And almost got fired from her job of just buckin' measly clouds!"

The words left the cyan pegasus speechless for a second, she knew.

"Y-You take that back, Applejack!"

"Naw, ah'm afraid ah can't. Words already left mah lips!"

"Grrrrr!"

Applejack and Rainbow Dash were merely inches away from each other's face. Invisible lightning of high tension and anger sparked between the two. Magenta and emerald eyes shot each other with a glare of daggers. Growls were exchanged. But the moment of intensity was suddenly interrupted.

"Oh! Thank, Celestia! We’re here!" Fluttershy shouted as she pointed.

Everypony grabbed their own individual bags and waited for the train to stop. Once it did, the doors opened and the mane six stepped off the train. They all followed Applejack towards the main entrance of the ski resort.

"Ya'll wait here… Ah have to get registered" Applejack trotted over towards registration and waited patiently in the long line. She also wondered why it was such a busy day. Sure, it was usually busy and all, but not exactly this crowded.
After waiting for a good amount of time, she noticed it was her turn.

"Hello there. How many?" the receptionist politely asked.

"Howdy, um… ah have a reservation and ah'm also in the tournament. "

"Oh, I'm sorry dear. What's the name?"

"Applejack."

The receptionist quickly scanned over the reservation list.

"Yup, here it is. You ordered six all-day ski tickets with overnight stay in the lodge–that correct?"

"Yes, ma'm, that's it."

"Okay, that'll be eighty bits please."

Applejack dug into her apple bag and pulled out a bag with her clenched teeth. She then brought it over and dropped it on the counter. "There ya are. Eighty bits all in one bag."

"Thank you and here you go." The cashier gave Applejack the tickets. Just when Applejack turned around to leave she heard the attendant say something else.

"Oh, I almost forgot–here's your pass."

Applejack stared at the multi colored ticket closely. "Um… a pass for what exactly?"

The receptionist chuckled. "It's the pass for the ski resort contest."

Applejack smiled appreciatively and took the pass. "Thanks!"

Applejack trotted back to her friends and had an idea to pass some time before the contest. Plus, she figured that they might enjoy it, like she does. "Follow me y'all, ya gonna try somethin' new and exciting."

Her friends followed Applejack into a building, inside were snowboards and skis stacked all the way to the ceiling. "This is where ya get yer boards and skies at. Go ahead and pick one out," Applejack explained, and then gestured towards the many racks of equipment.

"Applejack this is pretty cool and interesting," replied Twilight as she gazed among the different colored boards.
After a few minutes of decisions and debates on which board to choose from, every pony had their board all picked out. Rarity's board had a brightening, white top with beautiful decals on the bottom. Fluttershy's had bunnies and animal decals all over. Twilight's board was purple, with mystical and enchanted decals. Pinkie Pie's was pink and had like a graffiti style decal on the bottom. Rainbow Dash's board had a black top with electrifying, lightning decals for the bottom.

"Y'all picked some fancy stuff there, girls!" Applejack chuckled.

"What about your board Applejack?" Rainbow Dash curiously asked.

"Oh, don't worry it's here. Ah was just about to get it."

She stepped over by the counter and waited for assistance. After a moment, a colt walked over to help but, when he saw Applejack, his eyes widened in awe.

"Oh my gosh! You're Applejack!"

The earth mare slowly nodded her head with an unsure smile.

"Um… yeah, ah'm here to get mah board… It's the one in the back."

"Oh, yes, of course. I'll get it right away."

Applejack slowly turned her head towards her friend with a puzzled look. She wondered what all that was about. Her friends gave her the same look and shrugged their shoulders. Well, all of them besides Rainbow Dash: she gave off a nasty glare towards the colt.
Applejack didn't notice her friend's expression and turned her attention back towards getting her board. The colt trotted back and slid Applejack's snowboard over the counter to her. Her board had a glossy, satin, black top and underneath was blazing orange, with her cutie mark symbol; with her name customized through the center.

"Whoa! This is your board?!" the colt said, fascinated.

"Yup! Sure is, she's mah baby!" Applejack cooed as she clutched onto her board.

"Hey you know what, I'll be done here soon… Maybe we could hit the slopes before the contest?" the colt offered with a charming smile.

"Well… ya see, ah'm–"

Rainbow Dash's patience was stretched and she let out a low growl. "She can't, because she's with us!"
Applejack nodded. "Ah, appreciate the offer but mah friend's right… Good luck on the slopes. Bye!" she grabbed a hold of her board and followed her friends out the door leaving the colt with a puzzled look.

After a few minutes walking through the slope’s entrance, Applejack showed them the ski lift and how it works. Once explained, three got on each lift. The first lift had Applejack, Rarity, Twilight and the second had Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie. During the ride, Rainbow Dash started to have second thoughts.

What was all that about? Why did I get so aggravated when that colt talked to Applejack? She's my best friend, but I don't understand what just came over me… Maybe it's just nothing.

Her thoughts came to a halt as the second lift reached the top. The three grabbed their boards and met up with the rest. Applejack dropped her board and demonstrated the beginning.

"Okay, first drop your board in front of you. Second, put your back hooves into the two bindings."
Everypony complied besides Rainbow Dash: she just watched and listened. Fluttershy got the hang of it pretty quick and already was strapped in. She was near the edge of the slope and, looking down, she started to have second thoughts about it.

"Um, I don't know about this. This is scary..." she repeatedly whispered to herself.
Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes towards her shy friend. Suddenly she had an devious idea; she walked over behind Fluttershy and turned around. She turned her head towards Applejack and the rest, noticing that the coast was clear as they were all focused on Applejack's tutorial Sometimes Fluttershy, you just need to grow bigger apples… Rainbow Dash lifted her back hoof off the ground and placed it softly on the back of Fluttershy's board. Then gave a small but powerful nudge.

"EEEeeeeekkkk!" Fluttershy screeched as she felt the front of the board hang over the edge.

"Fluttershy! What in tarnation are ya doin'?!" Applejack yelled in shock. She immediately dropped her board and hastily trotted over to stop her. But it was too late: Fluttershy was gone.

The group watched their friend slide down the hill with great speed. She got about halfway down the slope until the board slid out of control and Fluttershy wiped out. There was a moment of silence and concerned looks. Eventually, they all huffed a sigh of relief, when Fluttershy got back up and looked alright.

"Okay, see what happens when ya don't listen to me?" Applejack glanced around and didn't notice a certain pony. "Where's Pinkie Pie?"

"Oh, oh, oh, watch this! I'ma do a run-jump-dash start!" chirped the jubilant, pink pony, as she set the board down and took a couple steps back, ready to charge.

Applejack turned her head towards the voice and saw what her crazy friend was about to attempt.

"W-Wha! Ahhh! No Pinkie Pie! That's not how yer suppose–" Applejack ran over to her friend and made a desperate leap to catch her insane friend. But, like the previous moment, she was too late and crashed into the spot where Pinkie Pie's board used to be "–to do it…" She breathed out in defeat.

"Weeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Applejack slowly picked herself up from ground and glanced over the edge. Everyone besides Fluttershy watched the insane pony slide down the hill strapless. She hit a jump, and they watched the board soar up into the sky and Pinkie Pie cannon ball into a snowbank. Applejack face-hoofed herself as the board came crashing down and slid down hill without its rider.

"Okay, well… this ain't workin' out quite the way ah wanted, how 'bout a break? Say! ah know who wants hot-chocolate!?"

"I do!" replied Rainbow Dash.

"That seems like a good idea, Applejack," Twilight agreed.

"Oh, yes please, darling!"

Applejack smiled and trotted over towards her board. She picked it up and walked over towards the ski lift. They somehow managed to all get on the same lift, and proceeded downwards. Within a few minutes, they reached the bottom of the slope.

From there, they met up with Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie. Applejack shook her head at the two. "Ah have to ask… What was all that about? Ya could've gotten seriously hurt, and especially you!" Applejack turned her head towards the daredevil, Pinkie Pie.

"Awe, come on, Applejack! It was amazing! I was like Weeeee! In the air! Then Bam! And the board was like Whooosh!"
Applejack rolled her eyes and couldn't help but chuckle at her friend's crazy antics.

"Well, we're goin' to get some hot-chocolate. Want some?"

Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie nodded with huge grins.

"Alrighty then, follow me y'all!" Applejack cheered and walked through the streets of the wintery village. Her friends followed and gazed at the scenery and were impressed with how it all looked. There were little gift shops along the sides, and ponies walking around with either a snowboard or skis. They were almost at the shop that had hot-chocolate, but suddenly a hoof reached over and snatched Applejack from her friends by surprise.

"This is her everypony! My most challenging competitor!" cheered a different kind of voice.
Suddenly there was multiple flashes from cameras all over. Rainbow Dash turned her head right towards the unexpected kidnapping; she noticed Applejack and some unknown colt standing next to her, getting their pictures taken from a huge crowd of fans that came out of nowhere. Her eyes narrowed into another glare. Not this again… Who the hay is he!

"Whoa nelly, ah'm gettin' dizzy… What in tarnation?!" Applejack stopped herself when she noticed the colt next to her was Ryder, one of the most famous snowboarders in all of Equestria. "Y-Yer in the tournament too?!" she squeaked as the flashes continued.

"Awe, isn't she just so cute folks!" Ryder cooed to the crowd of fans.

Grrr! I'll show you the opposite of cute! Give her back!

"Applejack, I admire your talent and I will say this: you’re skilled, despite the experience you lack in this kind of sport. But you are my opponent, so I'll promise you this: I won't make your defeat look that bad, ha-ha!" he responded with a promising wink.

The swarm of fans went crazy and began taking more pictures. Rainbow Dash turned her head with a death glare towards one of the fans that was about to snap a picture of her friend. She let out a growl and we never saw that fan again. Rainbow Dash didn't understand what was really coming over her. But she pushed her thoughts to the side for the moment and watched Ryder like a hawk.

Magenta eyes traced every move the colt made. She quickly noticed he was eyeing her best friend up and down, which stretched her patience beyond limits; every time she saw him put his hoof on her she snarled. She slid her death glare away from the colt and observed his board. She memorized the color, pattern and certain decals.

Suddenly, there was an announcement on the P.A. speakers.

"Hello, everypony! We would like to announce that the Equestria Snowboarding Contest will be beginning in twenty minutes. Contestants please report to the ski resort’s boardshop for board inspection before their use in the contest. Thank you!"

The fans finished snapping pictures of the two athletes. Applejack even signed a couple autographs for some new and interested fans. "Well, catch ya later then..." She waved a farewell and trotted over back to her friends. "Sorry about that, girls. Ah not quite sure 'bout this contest now–"

"Applejack, don't listen to what he said. You can do this, I know you can!" Twilight comforted.

"Yeah…" Applejack frowned and looked at each individual friend.

Fluttershy and Rarity glanced at each other with a smile and nodded. "Go win this, Applejack!”
“We'll all be watching, darling."

Applejack smiled and turned her head towards Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie.

"What do ya two think?" she curiously asked.

Pinkie Pie bounced up and down with a huge grin. "Yeah! Go Applejack! You can win it for sure!"

Applejack chuckled lightly before her eyes then glanced to the other side. "What do ya think, Rainbow?"
Rainbow Dash formed a joyful smile and nodded in agreement with the rest. "You got this, Applejack! Trust me, you'll win for sure."

The pony of honesty beamed a brightening smile at all the encouraging responses. "Awe thanks girls for believin' in me. Ah just got nervous. This is mah first snowboardin' tournament, after all. Well, ah'll see ya girls in the stands. Wish me a lot of luck!" Applejack waved a farewell and trotted away towards where all the other contestants had reported.

Twilight, Rarity and Fluttershy started to walk away and get seats for the contest. Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie still remained right where they were. "Pinkie Pie, I need your help on something."

"Okey dokey lokey. What is it that you need?"

"You'll see, just follow me." Her lips curled into a wicked smirk as she thought of her devious plan.

Rainbow Dash snuck into the boardshop with Pinkie Pie following closely behind. She hid behind the counter when she saw the colt inspecting the boards, but poked her head up just enough to see, and noticed Applejack's board was already inspected. Her eyes observed multiple boards lying on the counter. One of them being the prize that wasn't inspected yet.

There it is… Bingo!

"Okay, Pinkie Pie I need you to distract the guy over there." Rainbow Dash gestured towards the board inspector. Pinkie Pie made a grin with a quick salute. "Okay! Wait… how do I distract him though?"

"Pinkie Pie do anything you want, I'm sure you'll come up with something. But you need to do it quick! You do want Applejack to win this, right?"

"Right! For Applejack!"

She trotted ahead and got in position; Rainbow Dash made a quick nod, signaling her to go. "W-What the hay? What are you doing!?" yelled the distracted clerk as he left his work and went to go investigate the complete randomness of cartwheels that was happening before his eyes.
Without hesitation, and not a moment to spare, Rainbow Dash made her way to the counter. She silently grabbed Ryder's board and a certain tool before retreating behind the counter. She took the screwdriver and quickly loosened the bolts on the bindings. This is for you, Applejack… You're definitely gonna win now!

With her job done, she slowly and quietly crawled over towards the rack of inspected boards, and carefully slid the board on the rack with the rest. Mission Accomplished. Rainbow Dash got away undiscovered and waved her hoof: signaling that it was time to go. Pinkie Pie noticed and made her way over, cartwheeling out the door with Dash.

"Good work, Pinkie Pie," she complimented.

"Your welcome, Dashie! What exactly were you doing though!?"

Rainbow Dash cracked a sly smirk. "Oh nothing much. Let's just say... Ryder's board needed some improvement." The pegasus suddenly heard loud cheers up ahead: the contest would be starting very soon. "Come on! Applejack's tournament is going to start any minute!"

❉ ❉ ❉ ❉ ❉

Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie walked through the entrance to the contest; they spotted their other friends sitting in the stands. The two made their way and climbed up towards their seats. Fans cheered and roared–the place was booming with resounding cheers. Suddenly, there was an announcement on the main P.A, and the crowd died down to a total silence.

"Hello, everypony! Welcome to the Equestria Snowboarding Contest! Now, to those who don't know about today's contest, there will be two rounds! Double the excitement for all audience! Before we begin, let us announce the contestants!"
The announcer called out names of the competitors with a short introduction. Finally he got down to the last two: Applejack and Ryder.
"She's cute! She's honest! She's a true country pony at heart and knows how to shred up the slopes! Fillies and gentlecolts!! I give you, Applejack!" The crowd went crazy–despite being a beginner athlete in the sport, she already had the fans. Applejack gave a quick wave to the crowd and smiled up at her cheering friends. After Ryder's introduction, the snowboarding contest was ready to commence.
Suddenly, Rainbow Dash noticed something terribly wrong. The board that Ryder had earlier was different. She looked down the line of the contestants and spotted the rigged board with a different rider.
Oh no!

"Snowboarders! On your mark!"

"Get set."

Rainbow Dash suddenly stood up from the stands.

"Wait! You in the red! Don't use that board!"

"GO!"

"Rainbow Dash sit back down, you're starting to cause a scene," Twilight replied as she glanced around the crowd, noticing confused and suspicious looks being given to her friend.

The rainbow-colored pegasus complied, and sat back down with a look of horror. This wasn't suppose to happen... Her friends watched Applejack take the lead down the slope. She ramped off a jump and landed onto a rail. She then glided across the bar and flipped the board back before speeding off.

"Wow! That was amazing! Applejack takes the lead!" shouted the announcer. The fans went insane and cheered louder.

"Wow, I didn't know she was that good. No wonder the fans love her," Rarity complimented. Twilight and the rest agreed and cheered, besides Rainbow Dash who lightly bit her hoof due to the suspense. She watched the unexpected victim come to a jump. Here it comes... The pony hit the jump and, as expected, the bolts came undone and the board flew off into the air. The rider was sent flying into a snowbank that was luckily close by.

"Oh, man! What the hay happened there?!" yelled the announcer.

The crowd’s eyes widened and all gasped in horror. They slowly turned their heads towards Rainbow Dash with glares. Including her friends as well.

"Dash… what did you do?!" Twilight confronted.

"I-I-I didn't do anything. How would I know that was going to happen!" she pleaded.

"Uh huh, sure. What was that about you shouting, ‘don't use that board earlier’?"
Rainbow Dash noticed the glares get closer and closer. Sweat began to percolate from her eyebrow. She needed to think of something to say before the scene became worse. "I-I, um, I just had a bad feeling that's all. Heh, you know?"
Twilight rolled her eyes and turned back towards the contest. Rainbow Dash let out a sigh of relief when the glares turned away. It was near the end of the snowboarding race. Ryder was ahead of Applejack by a board length. Within seconds he slid across the finish line, with Applejack coming in second. After all the other competitors crossed the finish, the crowd of fans rushed towards their respective riders.
The place lit up like lightning, with flashes of cameras from all different angles. Applejack's friends stepped forward with proud smiles and congratulated her.

"That was amazing, Applejack!" cheered Pinkie Pie.

"Yes darling! Especially your very handsome friend there too." Rarity batted her eyelashes towards Ryder. She was rewarded with a wink and Rarity melted with blushes.

"Yeah, Applejack that was awesome!" Rainbow Dash said, but didn't take her eyes off the colt. Ryder noticed the displeased look he was given. In response, he made a sly grin and grabbed Applejack closer to him as the flashes of cameras extended. You’re pushin’ it, buddy! Let go of her… Now!

Suddenly there was another announcement over the P.A.

"Wooo! That was something! Congratulations, Ryder, for coming in 1st place and Applejack, who finished in second place. And of course to all of the other contestants! The final round will be begin in thirty minutes! This round will be winner takes all! You don't want to miss it!"

Rainbow Dash turned around and starting to walk away. She passed by some gift shops. Deep in her thoughts, she wondered what was going on with Applejack and Ryder. Grrrr… that colt! I just wanna… I need something for this next race to take him out. Something that I can just use in a distance… Something like–

Suddenly the pegasus read an advertisement on the window from a nearby gift shop: “Tired of bending over all the time to get those pesky bindings to unstrap? Well not anymore! Now introducing electronic straps… Easy as pressing a button!”

Hmmm, Plan B? Oh yes! I think so!

Rainbow Dash made her way into the shop and walked towards the front counter.

"Hello there! How may I help you?" the salespony asked nicely.

"Um, I saw that advertisement on the window–"

"Ah, yes! The electronic strap device?"

"Yeah, how exactly do they work?"

The clerk grabbed the two tiny devices and held a regular snowboard up.

"You place these little devices on both bindings like this, and then all you do is press this button on the remote!" The clerk demonstrated as he tapped the button and… voom! The straps sprung open. Rainbow Dash chuckled evilly as she saw this was the perfect thing she needed.

"Whoa! That's awesome. Say, what's the distance range for this to activate?"

The salespony raised an eyebrow with a smirk. "Ah, I see, a prankster huh? Well, my friend, this has a range of a quarter of a mile–plenty of range."

"I'll take it!"

"Great that'll be fifty bits."

"Fifty bits?!"

"Yeah, these things aren't cheap– they’re guaranteed to work."

Rainbow Dash mumbled and handed fifty bits over and grabbed her purchased merchandise. "Thanks!"
Once outside, she turned the corner and immediately came to an halt. There she saw Applejack and Ryder having a conversation. Wait!, why is Applejack with Ryder! Oh, no. Don't tell me what I think is going on… She slowly went to turn around until a familiar voice called her name.

"Hey, Rainbow! Ah'd like to introduce ya. Ryder, this is mah best friend, Rainbow Dash."

"Please to make your acquaintance, Rainbow Dash," he greeted.

Psssh, sure… I gotta play this cool, don't want him to suspect anything.

"Awesome to meet you, Ryder. I must say that's an awesome board you have there… Mind if I look at it?"
Ryder glanced at Applejack with an unsure look, but Applejack nodded with a smile. Ryder complied and handed over his board. Suddenly a couple fans walked up to the two athletes asking for an autograph.

While Ryder and Applejack was distracted, Rainbow Dash got to work. She hastily connected the tiny devices on the straps as instructed. With little time left, her job was done, but she made a quick glimpse to check if it was noticeable or not.
After she was certain it wasn’t, she handed the board back over to Ryder. "Thanks. Again, awesome board you have there." She then turned towards her friend. "I'll see you in the stands, good luck, Applejack!" She then quickly took off towards the contest area. As she entered she noticed her friends in the same exact seats as before; this time she took a seat further away for a special reason.

"Fillies and gentlecolts! Welcome to the final round of the Equestria Snowboarding Contest! Give a round of applause to our competitors and let the contest commence!" And, just like earlier, fans exploded around the place with cheers and chants. Rainbow Dash set her bag down and positioned it. Her eyes quickly scanned field course, trying to find the perfect spot. After a few seconds she saw the biggest jump ramp near the center.

Applejack stood ready, her eyes peered down the course. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. Her heart rate pelted and increased, nerves became unsteady as she awaited those beginning words. She knew this was the final round, this was the time to apply all her natural skills she had for this sport. A memory then quickly flashed by in her mind. How every winter she had this large hill not to far from the farm. She'd always would finish up her chores and head out to practice. She remembered all the determined and stressful times it caused her to get better. Then again, keeping this from her friends was extremely hard. She didn't quite know why she hid this as a secret, but that all ended when her best friend caught her one day. Suddenly her trance of the memories vanished as she heard the words and snapped her eyes wide open.

"Snowboarders on my mark!" Exhaling her last long breath. "Get set!..."

"GO!"

The riders were off, Applejack pushed off the platform and the journey for victory began. Her friends cheered loudly and encouraged for their beloved friend. Applejack continued to fly down the slope as she carved side to side, gaining more speed. She had a plan and, then again, so did a certain pegasus. Rainbow Dash couldn't smile any brighter when she watched the riders make their way down the slope. It was time and she knew it. She cautiously pulled out the remote from her bag and waited for the moment.

Ryder was headed towards the biggest jump on the course. Rainbow Dash formed a devious smirk and stood up with the remote. Ryder ramped off the jump and was now airborne. What goes up… must come down! Rainbow Dash tapped the button and, to her surprise, nothing happened. W-What the hay!? She repeatedly tapped the button many times, but to no avail. Hitting the daylights out of it only made it worse as the device began to spark and finally short-circuited. The disappointed pegasus watched her once-again failed attempt, as Ryder landed the jump successfully like nothing happened.

"Piece of junk! I want my buckin’ bits back!–"

Suddenly, out of the crowd, a fan spotted her and called her out.

"She's trying to sabotage the contest again!"

Rainbow Dash turned her head to where the voice originated from. "N-No, I-I was just–"

"Get her!"

Horse Apples

Rainbow Dash grabbed her bag and made a run for it. She couldn't believe how her day was turning out to. First, you desperately try to remove a celebrity from the game. Then, you have a mob of furious fans chasing you when you almost sabotaged the M.V.P. And all for what? Your best friend? Yup, all in a day.

Rainbow Dash desperately tried to dodge all the things that were being thrown at her from the fans. Twilight turned her head towards what all the commotion was about. When she noticed her mischievous friend being chased by an angry mob, she shook her head and resumed watching the contest.

"Um, shouldn't we go help her out, Twilight?" Fluttershy asked.

"I think she'll be alright."

Rarity slowly shook her head. "I worry about that silly pony sometimes, what is she trying to get at anyways?"

Twilight cracked a smirk and chuckled. "I think I have an idea of who. Er.. I mean what," she said.
The rainbow-colored pegasus reached a dead end. She turned around and could see the mob homing in on her. She had no choice to fly her way out. Her wings flared out from her sides and she took off into the sky.

Applejack was only behind in second place. She had already hastily slid past the other opponents. Within moments, she caught up with Ryder. The colt notice as he glanced over his shoulder to see a blur of orange approaching him. Not wanting her to pass, he swiftly veered in front, sending a spray of snow into Applejack's view. Snow brushed into her face but, despite the rude attempt, Applejack ignored the freezing sensation and hastily strived forward. Within seconds, it was coming down to the last bite of the apple. Applejack's mind kicked into high gear and scrambled to find another way. Until suddenly, she saw an risky opportunity, a last chance to win.

Without hesitation, Applejack threw all her weight into the side, making the board carve sharply towards a ramp up ahead. This was her moment–either it works or it doesn't. She used all her momentum and rocketed up the jump. High up and airborne, she felt the cold air brush through her mane. She could see the flash of cameras everywhere in the stands, feel the anticipation and suspense the crowd had as they gave her gasps of awe. It was like everything was in slow motion, she always wondered what it was like to fly. Then again, she knew this was the closest she would get to spend time with the air. Gravity soon took its toll on the earth pony, as she started to descend from above, she glided over her opponent.

"Whoa! Fillies and gentlecolts! Applejack made a huge, desperate leap over Ryder and landed it!" yelled the astonished announcer.

Applejack crossed the finish as the winner. She slid her board out in front and came to a stop; she then unstrapped the bindings and picked her board up. "Whoa, nelly! That was a close one!"

The cheering fans rushed from their seats and galloped towards the finish line. She smiled brightly when she noticed her friends walk over to her. But somepony was missing from the group. "Hey, y'all!"

"Congratulations, Applejack, you won!" the four all cheered.

"Yup, sure did! Say… where's Rainbow at?"

"She's–"

"I'll tell you what you're supposedly best friend tried to attempt, Applejack!" Ryder then held up his board in view and took off two small devices. "Your friend rigged my board; she tried to make me wreck!"

Applejack widened her eyes in disbelief. "N-No, she wouldn't do somethin' like that–"

"Actually, it's true. She did try to sabotage his board…" Twilight replied from behind, before she hung her head in shame.

Applejack sputtered to a lost of words and spun around with a disappointing glare. "W-What! Ya knew about this?"

"No, I didn't... But she was chased out of here by angry fans."

"Ah need to go find her, somethin' isn't right…What would cause her to do that?"

Twilight raised her head up to eye level. "It's not what, it's more about who."

"What do ya mean, Twi?"

Twilight shook her head. "Nevermind, it's nothing."

Just then, two colts walked up towards Applejack, with one holding a fairly large piece of paper of some sort. "Congratulations, Applejack. We'd like to present this 1st place prize. A cheque for five thousand bits! You've earned it, and we'd also like to offer you a sponsorship too!"

"Much obliged! Could ya leave mah prize in the lodge? Ah gotta do somethin' right this minute!" Applejack turned her head towards her friends. "Come on, we gotta find Rainbow!"

All six of them split up and began searching in different areas of the ski resort. Rarity and Fluttershy searched the village. Twilight and Pinkie Pie searched the slope area with Applejack. After an hour the sky began to grow darker, and Rainbow Dash still couldn't be found anywhere.

"Applejack, it's starting to get dark and hard to see. Maybe she went back home?" Twilight suggested.

"Yeah… ya probably right." She breathed out with a hopeless sigh. "Alright, let's go get Rarity and Fluttershy, and call it a night in the lodge."

[An Hour Later]

Applejack sat by the fireplace in her suite, alone. She watched the elegant flames dance around while she was in deep thought. She glanced at her snowboard propped up against the wall along with her prize. The orange mare huffed a tiring sigh: she turned down the sponsorship, and everything. Sure, she could make a living as a sponsored athlete, and make way more money than being a farmer, but it wouldn't be the same. She wanted her friends and her family– not making a name for herself just to become famous. Suddenly her trace of thought was interrupted when she heard a faint knocking at her door.

Applejack really didn't feel like being bothered but, instead of ignoring the situation, she accepted the call. "Come in."
She heard the door creak open and hoofsteps approach her. Applejack didn't bother to look to see who it was. She just paid attention to the the crackling flames and silence reigning over in the room.

"A-Applejack…"

The pony of honesty could hear the soft whisper next to her. She slowly turned her head towards her rainbow-maned friend and gave a tiring smile. "Howdy, sugarcube. Ah'm glad ya came back–we were startin' to get worried."

Rainbow Dash slowly nodded her head, she stared into those glowing, exquisite eyes, fading away and lost into the abysmal depths. Piercing the darkness like Luna's full moon in gloomiest night. After minutes of the mesmerizing moment, Rainbow was able to crawl herself out back to reality. She looked past her friend's shoulder and gazed upon her board propped up along with her prize.
Her lips curled into a prideful smile. "I knew you could do it Applejack...I knew all along, even after m-my–" Bowing her head, ashamed. "–failed attempts…"

"Ah...heard what ya did earlier sugarcube, and ah ain't 'frettin 'bout it none."

Yeah...but...Applejack..I–

"I'm sorry–"

The amber pony formed a smile. "Don't tire yer gums bout it...it's fine"

"Yeah...but I–

"Now, what did ah just say–

Rainbow winced her eyes and shot her head up, with a look of regrets. Her heart couldn't take it anymore, it was killing her. Despite her faults, all Applejack did was nothing but forgive her. She was tired of being so irresponsible, letting her pride get in the way of others, only for them to take the fall for her.

"No! Applejack, please listen to me! I mean for everything! All the things I've said to you earlier on the train. All the things I've said to you in the past that were hurtful. All those times I boasted, to make myself feel higher than you…" She bowed her head once again in shame. "Even my love for y–"

Rainbow Dash suddenly felt warmth and gentle pressure on her shoulder. She raised her head and stared into those elegant, glowing, emerald eyes once again. "Sugarcube, it's alright. Ah forgive ya for 'everythin." she said kneading her friend in comfort.

Why Applejack! How is it that everytime I mess up and make you look like a fool or try to make myself better than you...You always forgive me...How is your loveness and honesty so strong? so pure?... I want you, theres nopony else that makes me do these desperate actions, or put myself in these kind of situations...All I ask for in this forsaken world of mine is one thing Applejack… You.

"Applejack, can I-I say something?"

The rough and tumble pony slowly nodded with a smile. "Of course, go ahead ah promise not ta interrupt anymore."
Rainbow took a deep breath. Okay Dash, no more running away from your true, deep feelings anymore. It's either now or never, I can't keep flying away from it. Just tell her...

"Applejack, I'm gonna be honest, I-I haven't met anypony like you; I can't think of anypony who would throw away their possessions, talents, dreams and everything… all for her friends." Rainbow Dash then paused for a moment for another breath. She wasn't one for getting sappy but she didn't care. She was surrendering her heart. "Only you would do that. Applejack, you're amazing. You can be the most stubborn, toughest, competitive mare sometimes. But at the same time…you are the most awesome, loving, reliable and gorgeous mare I know. That's what I… love about you, Applejack."

Emerald eyes started to tear up. Those words touched her heart: nopony has ever said anything that nice to her before. It was like a dream or some sort. She would've never guessed that her best friend had strong and deep feelings for her. She didn't know what to say at the moment and remained still with a heartwarming smile.

Rainbow Dash noticed a tear trickling down her friend's muzzle; she brought her hoof up and wiped it away.

"Applejack, can I say one last thing?"

Applejack nodded her head. "Ye-yes, sugarcube."

"Forgive me…"

"But, ah–"

Applejack was silenced by a pair of soft and warm lips that gently fell upon hers. Instead of questioning or thinking twice about the situation, she surrendered and closed her eyes. Her mind and sensations escalated beyond measures. She wrapped her forearms around embraced her friend, pulling the blissful moment even deeper. Her consciousness drifted and she could feel herself give way. She gently fell over onto her back as a soft moan escaped her lips. Her seduced friend giggled while in the kiss and swallowed the subtle sound.
Lips soon parted as they gasped for air. Emerald and magenta eyes stared into each other with love mixed with lust.

"That…was…amazing…" Rainbow Dash breathed.

Applejack beamed a brightening smile. "Well, so much for that last 'sayin of yers'."

Rainbow Dash cracked a smirk. "I couldn't help it… Do you know how long I wanted to do that!?"

Applejack chuckled. "Well, after all that tear jerkin' stuff ya said to me…Ah could only imagine, sugarcube. Say ah have to ask…What were ya thinkin' when ya did all that fancy riggin' stuff anyway?"

Her beloved friend formed a luxurious smile and moved her lips towards Applejack's ear. With a seductive tone in her voice, she whispered:

"Desperate measures– the measures I was willing to take for you."








Author's Note:

Hope, you all enjoyed the story! Please, if you want, give me your feedback. Like, fav, comment etc. Much appreciated haha. Plus, I decided that there will be an 'Unrated Sequel' taking place after the ending...hehe. Also, to all the bronies out there that snowboard or ski... or play sports I salute you!

Comments ( 10 )

Wow...I loved that ending! I guess in the end she got what she really wanted! :ajsmug:

Still waiting on that update of you other story...But I noticed, you wrote another Appledash story! It was great, is the sequel going to be a 'Clop'? :ajsmug:

4082764 Thank you friend! Yup, she sure did. :ajsmug:


4082781 Thanks! Hmm, hehe maybe...most likely so! :ajsmug:

Great story telling! Though, in my opinion, rainbow kissing applejack is just sick. But it was really good over all!:pinkiesick::rainbowwild:

That was pretty good! Though I will admit it did feel a bit rushed and there were a few points where some of the characters felt just a little ooc, but other than those few things it was awesome! I look forward to that sequal and any other future stories from you!

4084231 Thanks!


4096643 Yeah it may have been rushed a tiny bit... but other than that I'm glad you liked it! Haha your an awesome follower. :ajsmug:

Cute story. A bit rushed and sometimes illogical (how did Rainbow escape the fans?) but cute nonetheless.

4104943 Haha thanks! yeah it was just a tad bit rushed one-shots are hard to fit it all in and try to avoid making it it too long. Oh, and she escaped the fans by flying away haha. But I'm glad ya liked it! stay tuned for the unrated sequel!

5631716 Haha, naw not him. Just some made up pony I decided to put in for the part.

Login or register to comment