• Published 23rd Mar 2012
  • 1,609 Views, 162 Comments

In the Royal Guard - J8ck78



There is a great honor for a pony to serve in the Guard, until one gets in...

  • ...
2
 162
 1,609

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 35 - Heating up

A mass of armor and pony smashed into the side of the wall, joining others as David stood there and cracked his neck from his recent headbutt.

"185 bits a year for this. Maybe I should gain another rank." David said to himself as he straightened his armor, "Hey Captain! Can I request a bid for promotion to Staff Sergeant. I do believe my record speaks for me, as well as this work."

He pointed to the two dragons still out from his cannon blasts and the pile of defeated turned Lunar Guards. Shadow snorted and glared at him. He smiled at her knowing the entire request was going to be denied due to the current situation. Sure enough Shadow denied it all across his face with her hoof and slamming onto a wall. David was up and spread his wings to fly. His wing blades he had put on flashed in a lightning strike before each one was crushed under two heavy stone blocks Shadow kicked at him. David narrowed his eyes at her and set his sights at the center of her armor. If he could destroy the "eye" on it, the rest of the armor would fall off. Same went with the star on his, and she knew it. Getting into position, he took off at Shadow.

----

"Captain Armor should just be up the stairs!" said Spirit

The Officer and his squad galloped down the hall as the storm outside seemed to intensify with every thunder clap. At the end of the hallway, three diamond dog soldiers stood there blocking the path with their weapons lowered to skewer the pony guards.

"Starlight, Flower!" said Spirit

"Yes sir!" the two said

They aimed their horns and tore the halberds from the solders arms. As they jumped for them, he nodded towards Charger and the Earth Pony surged forward, knocking them all down like bowling pins. One tried to get up but was bucked hard by Crescent, leaving a hoof-shaped indent into the soldiers helmet.

"Top of the stairs!" said Spirit

The ponies moved up as Crescent flew and banged upon the door as hard as he could. As the rest joined him the door opened and Shining Armor stepped out, not exactly the happiest.

"What is it? The Princess is trying to-" he yelled in a shrill whisper

"Sir, we have a problem." said Spirit

Armor took one look at the Guards and saw how fatigued and wounded they looked. Their armor had dents in them, and Spirit himself looked like he had been hit by a cannon point blank. This was no joke and his demeanor changed instantly.

"What is it?"

"Diamond Dogs sir." said Spirit, They've infiltrated the castle and used a potion to turn the Guards to their side."

"You have proof?" asked Armor

"There's three Diamond Dog soldiers down there sir." said Charger

Armor stepped out and looked to see the three defeated solders and determination grew into his eyes.

"Are the princesses okay?"

"There hasn't been word sir. We've been too busy dealing with mind controlled Guards." said Spirit

"Gather as many Guard as you can! We must secure the Princesses before we move onto the rest."

"Sir, we can't even tell who's side who is on!" said Flower, "My own Corps Captain is fighting Sergeant David!"

"You mean Captain Shadow is fighting that sarcastic smart mouth Guard at the Central Staircase?"

"Yessir." said Spirit, "Yes he is."

"Oh that wont end well." said Armor thinking about it, "Alright! I'll get my armor on, but we need to secure the Princesses. I'm sure they will want to help!"

"Oh, you ponies wont be doing that!" said a voice from behind them

They looked to see a Diamond Dog armed to his teeth, literally, with weapons from swords, to crossbows, axes, and razors on his teeth. He looked like he could flay a pony in seconds and the blade he held in his hand seemed to have the ability to cut right through Guard armor, for just it resting on the balcony edge had it cutting through it easily. The Guards prepared for a fight as Armor stood tall and affirm.

"I can't let you past to find the princesses, and you wont be getting past me!"

Before anyone could react, the Diamond dog was blasted by a magical bolt that vaporized all but the creature himself and he fell to the ground out.

"That never get's old." said Shining Armor, "I'll be out in a minute guard. Stand ready for a fight."

----

David was slammed up against a wall so hard it cracked it, and part of his armor.

"Where'd she learn that move?" he asked in a daze before falling to the ground

He could hear the wind whistling past her wings as she dove for him, but he was ready, flipping himself over using a mix of his own strength and wings and kicked her with his hind legs to the ground and landed on top of her and started to punch her with all the strength he had. Bucking him off, the two flew around the room eyeing for the right time to attack, and Shadow moved first, catching David off guard. He met her blow for blow, unable to make a single throw of his own, but he was doing it on purpose. The age old battle of someone not trying to kill their opponent, and their opponent doing everything in their power to kill them, dating back even before the most famous fights of that between Nightmare Moon and Celestia. He knew he couldn't beat Shadow with those odds in that, and since banishing Shadow to the moon for a thousand years was out of the question, he'd have to tire her out. He just hoped he'd live that long as Shadow tried to impale his head with a rod. Three more times she tried to shove the metal pole she had in her hoofs through his skull, each one he dodged just barely until the last one cut through the frill on his helmet. David bucked her in the eye hoping to shatter the "eye" there, but he only succeeded in sending her back to the ground. he snapped the pole in two and flew towards her, only to be met head on with a massive headbutt.

"And I though I was hard headed." said David as he wobbled around from the impact

He was bucked in the stomach and all wind left his body. He gasped for breath as he flew through the air and Shadow dove in for the kill. With what little strength he lad left, he kicked her right in the head and watched her fall to the ground. He gathered his breath and as she rose up made a decision. They stared each other down as each moment David was more sure of what he was planning to do and he smiled sadistically before it. Between his skills as a fighter and her determination, there was one course of option to do: He ran for it. A blue trail from his tail followed in his wake as the mind controlled Shadow looked at the sight in bewilderment, before taking off after him. As David flew ahead, he had flashbacks to he and his Captains first fight in the sewers, but he was still trying to tire her out so he could destroy her armor. Upon doing that, he'd have the upper hand. He looked back to see if she was following, and she was right on his tail and closing. Fear swept through his veins as he made for a further flight, but it was futile.

----

Elsewhere in the castle, little Filly was walking back holding her blanket in her mouth. she had been thirsty and couldn't find a Guard anywhere to ask for help and walked all the way down to the mess hall to get a glass of water. As she walked back to the room Captain Shadow had put her in, she thought back to Sergeant David and still couldn't believe he was gone. Shadow said she would be right by her to help her, but she had left a few hours ago after hearing a disturbance outside and never came back. Shadow had specifically told her not to leave until she got back, but she had been so thirsty. She had hoped that they maybe had found Sergeant David and they were all better now and waiting for her to wake up. Thunder boomed outside and Filly jumped, but then remembered to what Shadow and David had told her about thunder and that it was noise and they used to make thunder all the time as Filly's just like her. she heard another boom, but this wasn't thunder. Looking up, lightning flashed and she saw Sergeant David! he was alive, but he had crashed into the wall and fell. he looked hurt, but Filly was so happy he was alive and he ran over to him to hug him, but out of nowhere Shadow flew in and tried to smash right where he was, a last minute movement from where he was had her miss.

In utter horror she watched as Shadow tried to kill Sergeant David, or was David trying to kill Captain Shadow? This was a nightmare, it had to be! As they flew off from sight she turned around crying her eyes out. She always knew there were some bad feelings between the two, but not like this! Why were they trying to kill each other? Was it her fault? Was it something little Filly did? crying she ran through the corridors until she was stopped by a large furry foot. Looking up she saw what looked like a monster of some kind grab her with his big claws as she screamed and tried to run away, but to no avail.

PreviousChapters Next