• Published 23rd Mar 2012
  • 1,609 Views, 162 Comments

In the Royal Guard - J8ck78



There is a great honor for a pony to serve in the Guard, until one gets in...

  • ...
2
 162
 1,609

PreviousChapters Next
Guarding a Fyre pt.1


Hello once again

well it seems this story just wont go out quietly, not that I'm complaining. A few days ago BassTheBrony sent me a message asking if I could about my Guards fighting the fight that is appearing in his story "Sparking a Fyre" Who am I to deny that? He already put Shadow in a cameo in his, if you've read this story, jsut read chapter 4, she's in there. So, after reading his story again, and working it through, I present my ponies end of the fight written to my abilities. Hope you all enjoy!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
David, Starlight, Crescent, and Charger walked down the halls of the palace on patrol as a storm raged outside. while they were in Guard pose and looked on as if they were the stoic and alert Guards as ever, they rounded a corner and David spit into a vase holding a plant.

"I hate storms." groaned David as he walked along the palace corridors

"I thought you said you were looking forward to this." said Starlight

"I thought I'd be sleeping. Not on patrol!"

"With the power of it, you may get your wish Sarge." said Crescent looking outside

"It's a minor shower. it'll be out by midnight." said David, "I read the weather report."

"I don't know Sarge. Minor showers aren't that intense."

Crescent looked outside before he suddenly saw what looked like two Pegasi fly past the windows before lightning struck. In the few seconds he saw them, he knew they weren't Guard. No fills, no armor shining off the light inside, and their tails were too long to be regulation. Further more they held oddly shaped objects in their hands that he couldn't quite put his finger on. As they went out of view his Guard instincts kicked in.

"Did you guys see that!" said Crescent alarmed

"See what?" asked David

"Was it two cats riding a dragon while playing the polka to a hambone?" asked Charger

This got him a quizzical look from David. Even Starlight looked at him funny, but Crescent seemed as if this was normal for him. David shook his head and returned to looking forward but Starlight still looked at him puzzled.

"No it wasn't." claimed Crescent still looking

"Did you actually see that?" asked Starlight

"No." said Charger depressed, "I just was being random. Patrols are boring!"

"No it looked like two Pegasi, and they weren't Guards either!" said Crescent

He tried to fly up to get a better look, but was promptly pulled back down by David.

"Sarge I-!"

"Ah it's probably staff who got trapped outside." remarked David, "Those foals think that the work revolves around them."

He let go of Crescent and grumbled something and continued on until there was the sound of a commotion far off.

"Okay, did someone forget to shut a window?" asked Starlight

"If that's so they forgot to shut allot of windows." mentioned Charger listening in, "Actually sounds like they're panicking!"

"Listen to that!" said Crescent listening in as well, "What the, is one screaming or something?"

"Palace staff." laughed David walking on, "You could put a leaf in the middle of the floor and some would actually faint from shock."

He chuckled to himself as he walked on before a commanding voice made his entire patrol save himself jump in the air. He turned to see Captain Shadow standing there looking at him with several other Lunar Guards in tow, one of them Flower.

"Staff Sergeant!" yelled Shadow, "The palace is under attack!"

"Again?" said David coming to full alert, "What is it now!"

"Anti Armor-Cadence protesters.They have large numbers and already control parts of the palace." said Shadow

"What? I thought we dealt with those ponies!" said Charger

"Apparently not. Captain Fyre has ordered the Guard to defend the palace backside! I'm rounding up any Guard I can."

"Captain Fyre? Who's that?" asked Starlight

"Ah he's that conscript pony aide to Captain Armor who now outranking all of us!" complained Charger

"Hey!" snapped David, "That Guard knocked out Blueblood! Anypony who has the guts to do that is golden in my book. Show some respect for him you hear?"

The other Guards, even some of Shadows all nodded in answer. David snorted at their beliefs about Captain Fyre before turning back to Shadow.

"Air support?" asked David flexing his wings.

"They have full air superiority." said Shadow

"Not if I got anything to say about it." laughed David darkly, "Charger, Starlight, head out with the Captain! Crescent, with me. We'll get air power back."

Shadow nodded and took Starlight and Charger with her as David and Crescent ran toward the closest palace armory. As the two flew on, Crescent figured that the Pegasi he saw must have been the rioters and kept going. he remembered seeing something in their hands but couldn't tell what it was. As they flew through a door, two objects headed straight for them and both Guards barely had time to dodge it. The projectiles impacted into the wall and steamed from the heat they gave off. They looked at it and then back to where they had came from. Two disgruntled Earth Ponies stood there armed with another round of their choice of weaponry: Pies.

"Pies!?" yelled David, "You are using pies to overthrow the palace!?"

"Steaming hot apple pies!" sneered one of the ponies

Crescent looked at his Staff Sergeant and they were both thinking the same thing. Before the two Earth Ponies eyes the Guards doubled over in laughter and fell to the floor. The two ponies looked at each other, not taking it kindly that their weapons were being mocked in such a way and threw another round at the Guards. One hit the White Pegasus in the rump, and he flew into the air in pain at the hot pastry that now covered his butt. The other though was knocked back by the brown one and hit its original owner in the face.

"Between the NLR, Diamond Dogs, and the Changelings, this is going to be actually enjoyable." he said taking flight
Crescent landed next to him using his wings to fan the heat coming off his flank. he jumped around a bit hooting and hollering in pain until he took off again. David looked to him surprised.

"Although you may have something going there with the pies."

The Earth Pony smiled, but only for a second before David tackled him. The Earth pony was out cold as Crescent finally cooled his but down by dumping a plant vase full of water on it.

"Okay." said David as he looked over the PFC, "Beware the pies, but we have a job to do. Come on!"

"Right behind you Sir!"

----

"Pies! They're throwing pies at us!" yelled Charger

He and several other Guard had taken cover under some over turned tables near the back entrance as the rioters threw apple pies at them with no signs of giving up. while the entire sight was comical to behold, the Royal Guard pinned down by baked goods, or bads depending on the way you looked at it, they were not to be messed with. One Unicorn got up to fire before he was hit in the face with two pies and fell back in pain.

"Everything is going tasty!" cried the Guard as he fell down.

Medics rushed to his side to bring him out of the fight as the other Guard looked on.

"I'd be more inclined to help if it wasn't so....... odd."

This was met by universal favor by the other Guard. Shadow landed and looked around before bucking two pies back at the enemy.

"I don't care if they were throwing party balloons! Defend this palace at once!"

The Guards agreed and began to fire back however they could. Some Pegasus and Earth Ponies grabbed the remains of smashed pies on the ground and threw them back, while Unicorns grabbed pies mid flight and tossed them back. Other Unicorns fired magic bolts while a few skilled Guard bucked pies midflight back over. The crossfire of Pies and magic was as epic as it was hilarious. Some staff running for their lives up above on the second floor watched and didn't know weather to laugh or run for their lives. As one staff member was hit by a pie and fell to the floor out for the moment, the thought of running took over. Down below, Charger saw a incoming pie and took aim for it. ready to buck it back when it splattered all over his hooves. While the shoes he wore protected him from the majority of it, much of it landed on his underside as well. The searing pain of such a piping hot pie in particular areas of his hide sent him bucking around in pain. He leaped up only to be hit with three more pies. He fell to the ground slowly starting to fade out as Flower screamed for a medic. A Unicorn dragged Charger away as the rioting ponies moved in on the unpreparred Guard.

"Stand firm Guard!" ordered Shadow

"We're outnumbered!" cried a Guard, "And those pies hurt!"

Shadow dodged a pie thrown at her head and looked to the Guard: "Don't remind me."
She showed him her wing and he saw that it too had been hit by a pie, yet she was still fighting. Furthermore, she showed no pain whatsoever!

"I'll hold Ma'am."

A few Unicorns from the Guard fired a few magic bolts toward them, but the rioting ponies kept coming. Just as it seemed that they would be driven into hoof to hoof combat, a set of doors opened and revealed a cannon with several guard manning it.

"FIRE!" yelled Captain Spirit

The cannon ball, powered by both the powder that fired it and magic, screamed straight for the center of the rioters and impacted. The explosion knocked several back and away. Several Pegasus flew in from outside and rained pies down on the cannon. The only flaw in that plan was the pies were aimed for the cannon itself and not the crew. The pies slid harmlessly off the cannon as Spirit and his team aimed it up at them. The Pegasus barely had time to flee when the cannon exploded between them all, grounding several. The rest of the attacking ponies looked on in fear, not expecting to come up against such heavy artillery, and tried to make a break for it, but were cut off by Lunar Guard. Suddenly they were surrounded and forced to surrender. Shadow herself watched over as the ponies were magically tied together to prevent escape and flew over to Spirit.

"Lucky I found this thing." he said, "I didn't think we'd make it in time to help."

"You encounter any friendly air support?" asked Shadow

"Nah, those rioters have most of the Palace air space under their control. We had to get this cannon through a maintenance route just to avoid them."

"Alright. set the cannon up to defend the door in case they make a counter attack."

"Captain, I should inform you that the main ballroom is being used as a command post and staging area for them."

"Well, I can't allow that. Squad A! David's Squad! On me!"

The Guard formed around her save Charger who was still out from the pie impact.

"We have a Ballroom to retake! We'll pick up anymore Guard along the way! Move fast and move quickly."

"And watch out for pies." warned Spirit

Shadow nodded and took her strike force with her toward the main Ballroom.

PreviousChapters Next