• Published 23rd Mar 2012
  • 1,609 Views, 162 Comments

In the Royal Guard - J8ck78



There is a great honor for a pony to serve in the Guard, until one gets in...

  • ...
2
 162
 1,609

PreviousChapters Next
Bonus chapter 4

Two cornered Earth Pony mares huddled in fear as two Changelings walked up laughing at them. Their fear was multiplied as the Changelings transformed into them and closed in on them. Suddenly, a Earth Pony Guard broke through a wall and grabbed one and threw it back into the bakery where it landed in a oven and the oven door was closed by a Lunar Guard. The second tried to run but was grabbed by magic and tossed into the air before a Pegasus grabbed him. A brown coated Pegasus with green goop all over his wings ran out and ushered them to go inside.

"Come on! Get to cover!"

He saw one quickly flash a evil smile and he knew what was going on.

"AMBUSH!" yelled David

He punched both mares in the face, reverting them to Changelings and fell to the floor. From the sewers came a dozen of the evil creatures, but the Royal Guard was ready for them. Starlight and Flower aimed their horns at them and fired off as many bolts of magic as they could as Charger and David bucked them back into the hole. Crescent slammed the ponyhole covering down on top as Flower sealed it. Out of his eye, David spotted movement.

"Don't move!" he ordered

Standing there stood two Pegasus Lunar Royal Guard. They didn't expect to see him or his squad and looked on confused.

"Are you Royal Guard?" asked one

"Are you?" asked David

His tone was different from normal, and even frightened his squad. He stared them down with rage as the two Guards looked at each other and sweat from fear. Just then, a swarm of changelings flew up from afar and dove in. David took two out before leaping out of the way of a third. He grabbed the two Guards by the necks and shoved them to the ground.

WE'RE GUARD! WE SWEAR!" said one

"You better be or I'll make you wish you were dead!"

The Guard to left reverted to a Changeling before David hoof stomped it's neck. The real Lunar Guard looked on in fear and shock at his "comrade" before David helped him up.

"Alright, you're with me! We're moving to the bank. What's your name!?"

"Storm Catcher sir! Private!"

"Good, Join PFC Crescent and do your best to keep them out of the sky!"

"Yes Sir!" said the Guard

He joined the Staff Sergeant as his Squad battled through dozens of Changelings. Crescent and Chaser bucked any Changeling they could while Starlight and Flower used anything at their disposal from boards, bricks, stones, and their magic to keep a perimeter between them and the Changelings. Leading them was Charger and the grounded David as they pushed through the streets. They came to a corner as Changelings swarmed all around. David poked his head around a corner to see a distinct looking building a block away. He grabbed a Changeling as it tried to attack and pointed it's head toward the building.

"Tell me, does that look like the bank to you?" he asked the Changeling

The scared Changeling shook it's head yes.

"Perfect." said David, knocking the Changeling out cold with one hoof, "Come on Guard! It's literally right around the corner!"

----

Platinum Square was under massive attack. The Changelings, sensing the Guards holding up there swarmed in, nearly overrunning the Guards there. The Guards themselves managed to hold off the attacks, but every now and then there would be a breach. One Guard ran through covering fire and landed amongst his comrades. They scanned him just to be sure and let him in. He ran to the center of the square where the command post had been set up and saw the Officers standing around their posts.

"Captain Shadow! The convoy has been ambushed!" said a messenger running up

The Officers of platinum square turned to him before reverting to Changelings, causing the Guard to double over in fear. Suddenly, each one was knocked into the sky by the real Officers. A Changeling grabbed him from behind and the Guard suddenly began to feel weak. The Changeling was feeding off him before Shadow appeared out of nowhere and knocked it into oblivion.

"The a're on our own! We've lost all contact with our Strongholds in the market, the air docks, and the theater!" yelled Shadow

"What does that mean?"

"We're abandoning the square!" yelled Shadow, "Fall back to the palace! We can't hold!"

"Captain!" said a Pegasus Officer as he grappled and defeated a Changeling, "Get back to the Palace! We can handle ourselves here!"

"Are you sure?" yelled Shadow

"Roger that Captain! We can't let both Captains of the Guard taken out now can we!?"

Shadow was reluctant to abandon her post and Guard so quickly, but he was right. With Shining Armor out of the fight it seemed, her falling in battle would be a disaster. As the Officer bucked another Changeling and yelled at her to leave, she nodded her head. A Unicorn gave the signal and the Guard began to fall back. The messenger joined his fellow Guards and made headway for the castle. Shadow herself ducked and weaved through the Changelings with incredible speed as she landed in the castle, taking a Changeling who had been climbing on the walls with her. Pounding the Changeling into the floor, she attacked a second, who's form shifted stupidly into a pink unicorn, only to be decimated by Shadow in seconds. Seeing the pink color revert back to black, Shadow grew a pit in her stomach. Filly was still in the castle! She had to find her! Her maternal instincts kicked in and she made a bee line for her room where she had told Filly to stay until later. Changelings terrorized the Palace staff, but Shadow couldn't tell who was who in the staff as staff transformed back into Changelings to terrorize them even more. Several Guard ponies tried to hold off a store room as she flew past and gave her covering fire as she did. Diving down some stairs she headed down the corridor that lead to her quarters as Captain of the Lunar Guard, and it was flooded with Changelings. Shadow landed and stood in attack stance ready to take them all on if need be. Suddenly, from behind them came a bright white light. Then another, then another! The Changelings screams could be heard as they panicked and started to retreat. Shadow denied them this by jumping up and spread her wings.

As a Pegasus, she could control the weather, and with her training in the Guard, she had a higher than average control over it. With a swift flap of her wings, the Changelings were hit by a massive gust of wind and were scattered all over. Those lucky to escape never looked back as Changelings were smashed into every conceivable object. Pillars, stands, stair cases, windows, paintings. Changelings lay everywhere defeated and refusing to get back up. Aside from the sounds of fighting outside, it was all quiet in the halls. Shadow landed and looked around nervously seeing if she could see Filly in this mess. The bright light shone again and she could hear the sound of a Changeling scream. She ran down there only to have a Changeling run out before being blasted by what looked like several small beams of magic, coming from her quarters. She looked in to see Filly standing there barely breathing heavy. The look in her eyes made Shadow's heart drop. Such hatred and vengeance and when she saw her adoptive mother, it was all aimed at her. Yet, it was only for a moment before Fill recognized Shadow and ran to her. The two embraced as Shadow held her daughter tightly knowing she was safe. As she did, she looked around to see Changelings laying all over with magic blast marks on their hides.

"Filly? Did you do all this?" asked Shadow

"Uh huh! Sarge taught me it when he wread me a magic skiws book!"

"Most Filly's your age can hardly flip a book page and you're blasting Changelings!"

"Sarge said I could bwast magic because I was special!"

Shadow didn't know what to say until she looked back down at the big happy eyes of Filly and held her close again.

"I'm just happy you're safe."

Just then footsteps came up behind them. Shadow turned to defend her daughter when a Guard Unicorn scanned her with his magic.

"Lieutenant! They are real!" said the Guard

Spirit ran up and looked over the two with joy.

"Captain! Thank Celestia you're okay! When we heard the Changelings had breached this area we moved to rescue Filly."

He looked around to see the battle Filly had partaken in and his eyes went wide with amazement. Since Shadow was a Pegasus, and there was no other Unicorn around, the magic blast marks had to come from her. He knew David was giving her lessons, but he didn't know she went this far.

"Although I think she could handle herself."

Shadow lifted Filly onto her back and the little Unicorn held on. She walked up to Spirit who already knew what she was going to say.

"I'm headed for the main Palace armory. We're going to point every heavy weapon we got in here outside towards them and fire."

"That won't get all of them." said Shadow

"No, but it will get allot of them. Hopefully enough to hold the tide until reinforcements. Come on! Preparations are almost
complete!"

PreviousChapters Next