• Published 23rd Mar 2012
  • 1,609 Views, 162 Comments

In the Royal Guard - J8ck78



There is a great honor for a pony to serve in the Guard, until one gets in...

  • ...
2
 162
 1,609

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 24 - Unconventional

Starlight blew some of her hair out of her face that had escaped the helmet and just laid there. Again she had tried to carry the weight on her back using her magic, and again she had failed. This had been the fifteenth time this hour she had failed, David still not letting up. He stood off to the side, looking at her part displeased, part amused, and part disappointed.

"Alright. Up." said David

Starlight stood up to the best of her ability.

"Down." said David


Starlight took the advice and collapsed.

"Up." said David, "we're gonna keep doin this. Up."

She went up.

"Down."

She went down.

Each time it was more painful and tiring than the last, but he continued on and on as tears began rolling down her face.

"UP!"

"I CAN'T!" she cried in pain

"Okay. Up."

"I can't!"

"I don't care. UP!"

Starlight opened her eyes to look at the brown pegasus standing above her expecting her to stand up. She looked back to the weight on her back. Images of tartatus flashed in her mind. Such evils and other monsters locked up in there, all guarded by a demonic three headed dog sent the adrenalin through her veins and she stood up screaming in pain.

"Really?" asked David

"I(pant, pant)did(pant)it." she said

"Yes, yes you did." said David unimpressed, "Alright, new plan. No magic, not yet."

Starlight had a shimmer of hope flash through her heart, but a smile that crept across his face gave her dread and fear.

"Not yet." he said

----

"Well, a whole day without Sergeant David!" said Crescent

He and Flower were walking along a wall of the palace and enjoying their patrol Spirit had sent them on. The Pegasi had brought out the midday sun had removed all the fog and it had turned the day into quite a good one.

"How is that different from any other day?" asked Flower

"I see your point." said Crescent, "Guess he isn't that bad."

"Really there "Flower Power"?"

"Okay yes he is a world class dick. But, he went looking for that Starlight Unicorn when no one else believed us."

"Who?" asked Crescent

"Starlight Shimmer. that's the Unicorn's name."

"Oh. I forgot her name. Still kinda angry with her, "Wouldn't mind if she was kicked out of this thing the Captain has her on."

"Really?" asked a shocked Flower

"Yes! We try and save her and we got chewed out and forced to clean that astrologers telescope house! She attacks us and she gets to joint he Guard on a conscription notice? Why, she could fall off the side of the palace for all I care, I wouldn't do anything."

The sound of Starlight shimmer screaming as she fell past the two and towards the ground caught their attention and the two looked in terror as she fell closer and closer to the Earth.

"QUICK! use your magic Flower!" yelled Crescent

"I'm on it! I'm on it!" said Flower as he aimed for the shot

"Negative Corporal!" said David as he swooped in beside them and looked down, "You better use that magic of yours to stop the fall there Recruit!"

"How'd she get up that high?" asked Crescent

"I can fly the weight of two Guard ponies a good distance. Remember, I grew up on a farm!"

The sound of a thick thud alerted them and they looked down. A small crater filled the area around Starlight as she lay there.

"Ah good she survived! Well, see you later!" said David

In a instant he was flying down at the Recruits side. Crescent and Flower looked on not knowing what to say.

"So, how was life growing up in Fillydelphia?" asked Flower as the two walked on trying to forget their encounter.

David flew next to the down and out Starlight and stomped his hoof in admiration.

"Good job! You managed to stop yourself despite a two mile fall!"

"I could have been killed!" said Starlight

"Well that was my whole point!" said David

"WHAT!?" yelled Starlight

"How else was I supposed to get you motivated?" he asked as if he had done nothing wrong

Starlight was up in a instant charging David with her horn. He smiled and easily dodged it. She struck towards him again and again and each time he managed to avoid each attack, all the while smiling in what seemed to be his pride of missing them. Starlight charged her magic and fired bolt upon bolt at him in a attempt to hit him, but he flew around them egging her on to get him.

"Come on!" he mocked, "I can do this all day!"

She attacked him with all her strength, getting closer and closer each time. Even as he was flying she was gaining on him, bent on giving him more pain than he has caused her. Feeling a surge of energy she galloped toward him at speeds she didn't even know she had, her horn ready to impale him upon impact. He stood there, smiling in his smug way mocking her. Just as she was about to impale him and end her torment, he flew up and Starlights horn was embedded into the wall.

"Well then, it seems your little escapade has come to a end." said David as he landed next to her

She snorted in anger as she tried to remove herself from the wall, but to no avail. her horn was stuck in there good and it wasn't coming out without any help. David went to do just that but she snapped at him.

"Easy Recruit, I'm just trying to help here." he said with a voice that actually sounded concerned

"I think you've helped enough!" she said in spite

"You have no idea!" said David happily

"Back off!" she yelled

He looked at her eyes half closed as if he knew something she didn't that was plainly obvious.

"Recruit, look at your back."

Starlight tried again to remove her horn and nothing before looking back. On her was the saddlebags full of weight and she didn't even feel it.

"Not only did you attack a opponent with the weight of a full blown Guard on your back, you managed to carry it across the palace as if it was nothing."

"Wow."

"Sorry for my unconventional tactic there Starlight." he said pulling her out with all his strength, "But I had to get to you somehow."

Starlight rubbed her horn and David removed the saddlebags.

"I think you've had enough of me for the day. Report tomorrow same place, same time and we'll continue. Good job Recruit, when the call for you is needed, you go beyond it. By the way what is your calling anyway? There was dirt, mud and grime over where your cutie mark was. What is it?"

"Oh, um,...." stammered Starlight, "It's, ah, I...."

A curious David lifted the armor to see to his surprise a blank flank. Starlight herself was caught off Guard by this and quickly shoved her armor back on. she went red with embarrassment as David shook his head in disbelief.

"What in Discords name!? You're blank!"

Starlight hung her head in shame.

PreviousChapters Next