• Published 23rd Mar 2012
  • 1,609 Views, 162 Comments

In the Royal Guard - J8ck78



There is a great honor for a pony to serve in the Guard, until one gets in...

  • ...
2
 162
 1,609

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 21 - Got her

Even with the dim light of the torches, the bright magical light from the Lunar Guards horn lit up the area as the four Gauds walked through the sewers. Water dripped in the distance into the running sludge that was the canterlot sewers.

"Eyes forward Corporal, well, horn forward."

"Yessir!" said Flower

"I'm a Sergeant Corporal. Don't call me sir!"

"Uh, yes sir-Sarge! Sorry Sarge."

That's better." said David

"Ugh, how can you handle these smells! They're conflicting!" said Crescent as they passed a pile of discarded perfume mixed in with some, "other" piles.

"I grew up on a farm. You get used to it." said David

"What good is a pegasus on a farm?" asked Crescent

"Weather control!" said David proudly, "We were the only farm with crops in the dead middle of winter! Made quite the living!"

"So what, were you adopted?" asked Charger

"Learn pony genetics. explains everything! Especially since my mother was a Unicorn and my Father a Earth pony."

"Oh." said Charger, "Explains allot."

"No it doesn't." said Crescent

"It's a figure of speech!"

"A hour in and the arguments start. I'm impressed!" said David before stopping abruptly

"Sarge?" asked Crescent

"Nothing. We've been in a hour. Flower, lead us back."

His demeanor had changed. From laid back and not giving a care, he suddenly was alert and focused. He kept a trained eye in a area of the darkness, but nothing could be seen.

"Corporal! You want out of this sewer or not? Let's go!" he said, "Light bright! I need to see our way back!"

Flower was rushed back to the opposite of where he was and shined his light brighter than usual. As he took a few steps, a pair of hooves grabbed his head. David was right behind him, flying above face red with anger and concentration. Charger and Crescent tried to get to their friends aide when he spun Flower around and shined his light to where he was looking earlier.

"THERE!" he yelled

Charger and Crescent looked to see a Unicorn mare trying to sneak away, but caught like a deer in headlights. Furthermore, they recognized her as the same Unicorn mare they had tried to protect all those days ago!

"That's her! That's the one!"

"I know!" yelled David, "Don't move! We need to speak to you!"

She didn't listen and galloped off at full speed into the sewers.

"After her! Crescent, with me! Charger, Flower, that route loops back around down there! Try and cut her off! Go!"

The Guards took off in their respected paths as David zeroed in on the Unicorn. However, before he could catch her, she ducked into a hidden path nearly causing the Guard to overshoot. Crescent caught up a moment later as David went through his mind the layout of the sewers. Crescent, however, had other things on his mind.

"Sir, how did you know that she'd be down here?"

"I've been tracking that mare ever since the incident."

"You believed us?"

"You had no real reason to lie did you?" asked David

"No. We were telling the truth."

"I figured that. I've been tracking her down ever since, and managed to corral her in the sewers. Now we just have to catch her." said David

"So what are we waiting for?"

"This route leads to the same place we're going, it's just twist and turns though. Come on!"

The two flew off down the sewers to cut her off. As they did, Flower and Charger were heading down their own path hell bent on finding her at any costs aside their own personal safety. The two galloped down the pathway with Flower's light guiding them. After rounding several corners, they found her.

"Freeze!" yelled Charger getting in attack position

She didn't freeze but charged the magic on her horn and fired several bolts at the two Guards. One glanced off Chargers armor as Flower dragged him back into cover. He himself fired off two of his bolts to cover them as the Unicorn took off once again.
"She's dead!" said Charger

"Easy Private. We're not getting into any more trouble." said Flower

"Why not? She got us in a fight with some punks, chewed out by the Captain, and assaulted us!"

"Don't hurt her!" ordered Flower

"Well then you best hope you get to her before I!" he said before taking off after her

Flower followed, keeping his light just barely on her flank as they ran after her. Every now and then she'd turn in fear and fire a bolt or two, forcing them into cove and giving her a extra few feet of ground. This continued down the sewers for sometime until Flower was hit. Struck in the knee by a bolt, he tripped to the ground and skidded a distance until he fell in some water. Charger was at his side and pulled him out.

"You okay Corporal?" he asked in fear

"I'm fine! Go get her! I'll catch up!" said Flower as he held his wounded knee

"Are you sure? Sgt. David and Crescent should be close by now!"

"Go! I have a knack for quick healing!"

Charger looked down the sewer chamber to see her standing there, as if she was mocking them for some odd reason by watching Flowers pain. Getting into a stance, he readied himself for his namesake. The Unicorn looked on at Flower until she spotted Charger galloping toward her. She tried to fire magic bolts at him, but they glanced off his helmet until he struck her in the chest, sending her flying across the tunnel and into the wall. She was starting to recover when Charger was at it again. With whatever energy she and left, she ran for it. Charger was not going to let her get away and was closing in fast. He felt a onrush of air swoop past him and looked to see Sgt. David and Crescent at his sides back in the chase.

"Where's Flower?" asked Crescent

"Took a hit back there! He's wounded!"

David motioned and Crescent fell back. Charger looked up to his Sergeant, who nodded before making a large flap with his wings and zoomed ahead of the Unicorn, cutting her off. Trapped between the Pegasus Guard and the Earth Pony Guard behind her, the Unicorn mare came to a screeching halt and shuddered in fear. Charger slowed down to a halt, snorting in anger as David walked up to her and looked down at her. His eyes were eerily reminiscent of those of Captain Shadows, only blue.

"You're under arrest." was all he said

PreviousChapters Next