• Published 23rd Mar 2012
  • 1,609 Views, 162 Comments

In the Royal Guard - J8ck78



There is a great honor for a pony to serve in the Guard, until one gets in...

  • ...
2
 162
 1,609

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 22 - Done for

The Unicorn mare sat alone in a room, up above through a one-way mirror sat her captors as they looked on confused.

"Who is she?" asked Crescent

"How would we know?" asked Charger

"I'll know in ten seconds." said David

The other three looked at him as he sat there with his smug expression for the said few seconds before the doors burst open and in walked Spirit and Captain Shadow.

"Her name is Starlight Shimmer, a vagabond who worked from place to place before disappearing a few months ago after the Battle." said Spirit

"Told you." said David, much to the others bewilderment as he followed up with: "You ponies have such odd names! it's like they come from a machine!"

His final comment was disregarded as they looked down at her as Shadow snorted.

"I owe you three a slight apology. Apparently you did have good reason to get into that fight."

"Uh, thanks captain?" said Charger nervously

"Yes." said Shadow coldly, "Well then, I'm going to have a chat with her."

"This ought to be good." said David

His smart comment tensed up the others, bur Shadow walked out as if she didn't care and closed the door behind her. David kicked back holding his head up with his wings and waited for the show to start as his reaction.

"Sarge, you know that'll get you in trouble." said Flower

"Meh, I don't care right now. I wont be going anywhere anytime soon on both ends of the spectrum at this rate. I like it here." he said

"David, buddy, stop pushing it! You know one day she'll snap on you! Keep this up and soon she will!"

"I complimented her for Celestia's sake!" argued David, besides, I know full well how far I can push what I do. Now hush it! She's going in!"

Down below Starlight heard the door open. She had been scared by the Guards thinking they had been some other ponies and ran, not bothering to hear what one of the Pegasus ponies had said. The light was dim and she was in too much of a panic to turn and look at who her pursuers were. It was only when the brown and Blue Pegasus pony cut her off did she realize she not only ran from the Royal Guard, but attacked them too! Now standing in the doorway was a frightening looking Lunar Guard Pegasus complete with the bat wings walking in. Her red eyes tore at her fiercely and Starlight shuddered at their sight.

"Assaulting, no, attacking a member of the Royal Guard." the Guard started off, her voice commanding and shrill, "resisting arrest, trespassing in the Canterlot sewers, and according to what I have, engaged in a scuffle between the Guard and some other ponies a few days back. You miss have just made my hate list."

That was the last thing Starlight wanted to hear and nearly broke down upon hearing this.

"I just have one question to ask: What were you doing in the sewers anyways?"

"I live down there." said Starlight

"What do you mean you live down there?" asked a shocked Shadow

"I don't have a home! I couldn't pay my landlord, I didn't have any bits to rent another place, and I lost my job at the train station three months ago!"

"Well, sad sappy story aside, why did you run and then assault my Guards."

"I didn't know they were Guards."

"Oh, their armor didn't give them away?"

"One just screamed "THERE" and I panicked! Pleas you have to understand, I don't exactly have allot of friends and allot of enemies."

"I know." said Shadow, "I'm one of them!"

The Captain kept silent for a moment for effect, which took hold on the scared Unicorn.

"It was a misunderstanding I swear!"

"Then you attacked them with magic?" said Shadow, "That's a offense worth of a year in tartarus!"

Starlight froze as her stomach and heart fell into a pit upon hearing those words. She'd rather die than go there.

"Then there is that scuffle you had where three of my Guards, the very same you were chased after and then you decided to attack, saw you. I have reason to believe they stood up for you!"

Starlight hit a epiphany at that moment. She knew she recognized a few of them! The sheer utter reality of the situation flooded her mind.

"I, I, I, I, I." she stammered unable to make more than the word I

"Why did you leave in that scuffle? You know not only did you embarrass the Guard you had them all reprimanded and punished!?" yelled Shadow at the top of her lungs

Starlight broke down and well off the chair, tears pouring out of her eyes. Shadow smiled, knowing her job was almost over.

"Law dictates I have two options." she said walking to the door, "One is to banish you to Tartarus. Hopefully if you were to stay there you will learn something."

Starlight's mood didn't change but she held her head up trying to speak through her sobs and tears.

"Option two is conscription into the Guard."

"Yes! That! Anything but Tartarus!" said Starlight in a burst of energy that negated her tears momentarily, "I'll join the Guard! Please don't send me there!"

"There's always the moon." chuckled Shadow

"No! Please! I'm, I'm, I'm begg-gg-ing-ing you!" said Starlight through her tears, "I'll sign up for the Royal Guard! Please!"

"Done." said Shadow, "Report to Sgt. David, the Pegasus who brought you in tomorrow morning at 0500 hours in the Canterlot Palace's southern courtyard. He'll give you a crash course on guard training."

A faint "OH COME ON!" could be heard from somewhere above which brought another rare smile to Shadow's face as she walked out and began to close the door on Starlight.

"There is a bed and a bathroom over there and you shall spend your nights here until Sgt. David sees fit. I will be watching your progress Starlight Shimmer. Don't disappoint me."

With that she closed the door.

Up above David was beating his head against the wall knowing that he'd have to train the Unicorn tomorrow morning.

"Why (SMACK) do I (SMACK) never (SMACK) shut up! (SMACK)" he grunted

He repeated what he was saying while smacking his head against the wall.

"Well, that was a cold move on Shadows part." said Crescent, "Forcing her into the Guard like that."

"No it's brilliant!" said Spirit

"Care to elaborate sir?" asked Flower

"Not only does she now have a home, a job, meal, she's got the potential to make friends to help her against her enemies! Not only that, we just got a new Guard!"

"And (SMACK) I (SMACK) have (SMACK) to (SMACK) train (SMACK) her! (SMACK)!" grunted David

"Well, you should stop mouthing back sir." said Charger

"(SMACK) NO! (SMACK)"

PreviousChapters Next