• Published 23rd Mar 2012
  • 1,612 Views, 162 Comments

In the Royal Guard - J8ck78



There is a great honor for a pony to serve in the Guard, until one gets in...

  • ...
2
 162
 1,612

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 5 - Battle of Canterlot pt. 1

We weren't expecting it, no one saw it coming. They used their element of darkness to catch the Guard off Guard. Irony of that was lost quickly though
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Sergeant report!"

The newly ranked Sergeant David looked behind him to see a Earth Pony walking up to him.

"Hey Lieutenant. Nothing. Sun's going up in five as far as I know."

"Good. Damn man you got the best seat in the castle!"

"Good thing you can pull strings Spirit. We'd never be able to see this."

"Damn straight. Wonder why we're all on duty."

"I stopped questioning orders the day I met you."

"But it's good to questions orders!" came a voice from behind

Both stunned guards looked to see a older gentlecolt walking up. two words exited their mouths as the Pony stepped into view: "Captain Idas! Sir!" Both saluted to him as he walked up and he returned it.

"At ease colts. I see you found out where the best seats are."

The leader of the Canterlot Guard stood between them old in his years and wise in his ways. Stories of him were a l egend amongst the Guard. These stories dated back 1,000 years thanks to him having drunk a special potion made by the princess herself to his fights with the Lunar Republic. He had been the serving Captain of the Guard all his life. He had seen things many ponies would only dare to have a nightmare over. However, the potion was starting to fail and he was getting older and more frail by the day. Even as he looked on non chalant and easy going, the other two tried to stand at firm attention despite shaking in his presence despite his telling them to be at ease.

"Eh heh heh..... seems that way sir." said Spirit, "I, uh, have a father who-"

"I know your father. he asked me personally. How else would you get up here?"

"He's got a point Spirit." said David

"Lieutenant Wayward Spirit. Joined in the Royal guard Academy to live past your name. Excellent scores, high pride in your empire, steadfast dedication to your job. A fine officer."

"Thank you sir." said Spirit

"Sergeant David." said Idas

"Oh boy." said David

"Joined the Guard on a court sentence. High scores is about all that's good about you. Low enthusiasm, lack of respect for superiors, insubordination, laziness."

"You nailed him right on the head sir."

"Yet a begrudging respect from every officer and superior in every unit you've served with as you somehow you manage to get every task done. As such, you've been granted the rank of Sergeant ahead of all others from your graduating unit."

"How did you?"

"I made it a point to know who exactly I am going to be watching the sunrise with."

"Well, ten seconds to the sunrise." said Spirit

As the two younger Guards looked on smiling, Idas grew a concerned look about his face. This was picked up by David as he looked.

"Sir?" asked David

Idas said nothing as Spirit hit one and looked on eagerly. Nothing. No sun, no bright light, just the moon. A feeling of fear swept over them both as Idas looked on knowing full well what was about to happen.

"Stay in the sun colts. With it at our backs we shall win this day."

Both David and Spirit looked at each other and then at Idas before he was hit by a magic blast that sent him careening into the room behind them. As Spirit looked on to see the burning remains of the Captain David looked out over the skies. He took a step back in fear. Hundreds, if not thousands of Lunar Pegasi flying in from the moon.

"INCOMING!" he yelled, his voice echoing across Canterlot as the battle began

PreviousChapters Next