• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 7,836 Views, 2,739 Comments

Trixie's Forest Retreat - crowscrowcrow



Following the events of Boast Busters, Trixie decides to hide from the town (and Rainbow Dash in particular) by taking cover in the Everfree Forest. Not every problem can be outrun, and sometimes facing them can have unexpected consequences.

  • ...
31
 2,739
 7,836

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 73 - Replay

With a bang, Trixie could hear the door upstairs slam shut. The sound seemed louder than any of the thunder that evening. Shortly after, a loud stomp shook the ceiling.

Everything had happened so fast that Trixie still had no chance to really orientate herself, but for the moment it was enough to just know Fluttershy was holding her while she broke down, crying on the gentle mare’s shoulder.

Fluttershy stroked Trixie’s back while she cooed reassuringly. “There, there, it’s okay.”

Normally, Trixie wouldn’t have allowed herself to cry like this, but around Fluttershy it seemed so unimportant to keep up a tough front. It just helped, to allow her frustration out at last. She knew she’d brought it on herself.

“T-Trixie is sorry,” she choked out between sobs.

“You don’t need to be sorry, Trixie. It’s okay to cry when you’re sad.” Fluttershy whispered, and ushered Trixie to sit down on the blanket.

Trixie obliged, then once she was seated, Trixie wrapped her hooves around Fluttershy tightly. “But, but Trixie ruined it, s-she didn’t mean to. Trixie really th-thought…” Her voice trailed off, and she buried herself into Fluttershy’s fur again. Trixie was not actually sure if she should go on, but she wanted to talk to somepony.

Fluttershy made no effort to talk, instead she merely focused on giving Trixie the support she craved, and waited patiently for Trixie to choose when she was ready to tell what was on her mind.

Under Fluttershy’s care, Trixie calmed down enough that she’d stopped crying. She just relaxed while she felt Fluttershy soothingly run a hoof over her back. “Sorry… Trixie’s okay now, thanks, Fluttershy.”

“Oh, don’t worry about it, Trixie. Do you want to talk?” Fluttershy slowly let go of Trixie, and moved to sit by her side. “It’s not just about the trick is it?”

“Uhm, maybe, but…” Now that Trixie actually could think clearly, it occurred to her that Fluttershy had woken up at some point without her realizing it.

Trixie probably woke her up when she pulled away? Wait, no, then Fluttershy wouldn’t know what Rainbow Dash did, so does that mean she knows what Trixie did?

Her cheeks burned, she wondered just how long Fluttershy had been awake. For all she knew, Fluttershy could have been pretending from the start. “…how long were you awake for?”

“Oh, uhm, I was asleep for some of it, but you kept poking me, and you girls were really loud, so… I think at least for the, uhm, important part… since party animals.” Fluttershy sounded as though she felt a little guilty for inadvertently spying on them, though Trixie really couldn’t blame her, considering she was the one to wake her constantly.

“T-Trixie understands.” Even though Trixie would not have minded telling Fluttershy everything she’d told Rainbow Dash, the idea that she was overheard didn’t really sit well with her. After giving it some thought, Trixie shrugged lightly. “Well… that saves time Trixie supposes.”

Fluttershy nodded. “It was, uhm, really nice? Well the good parts I mean, not the bad parts. Wait, no, that it was nice to see you share something, even if it wasn’t so good, I mean pleasant, I mean, uhm.”

Feeling a smile forming, Trixie shook her head with a soft chuckle. It was just too disarming to see Fluttershy contort to make her comfortable. “Trixie knows what you meant, Fluttershy. Even if Trixie didn’t, she’d never be mad at you.” She gave a sideways glance at Fluttershy, though she was only able to make out her basic shape in the dark, and sighed. “Trixie made a mistake.”

Reassured, Fluttershy rose up to her hooves and turned around, trotting towards the fireplace to put a new log on top of the embers. “What do you mean, Trixie?”

Facing away from Fluttershy, Trixie remained quiet for a moment, simply unsure how she was going to broach the subject at all, or even if she should. “T-Trixie dared Rainbow Dash for a kiss, that was wrong… Rainbow Dash was right to punish her. It was just that… Trixie really thought the mood was right, but she was wrong.”

“The m-mood wasn’t right?” Fluttershy picked up a poker, and stoked the fire, causing light to gradually return to the room with a warm glow.

“No, well, yes, the mood wasn’t as Trixie read it apparently, but that’s not it. Trixie has been, uhm, pestering Rainbow Dash about this for a week. It was wrong of Trixie to try to push her feelings on Rainbow Dash… even if she really wanted it.”

“Uh, well. It’s good that you know what you did wrong, Trixie. You made a mistake, but that still doesn’t make it okay for Rainbow Dash to play along until the last second. If she had told you the truth, or, uhm, did that thing, right away… I wouldn’t have yelled at her for it…“ Fluttershy looked up at the stairs in contemplation for a moment before she turned back towards Trixie.

Trixie was not really convinced she did not actually deserve what she got, but she did not try to argue.

As Fluttershy stayed quiet, Trixie continued, slowly dragging her hoof along the blanket. “It was just that Trixie never felt that way before. You and Rainbow Dash were so good to Trixie, and she just felt so wonderful if you were around. Trixie wanted that all the time. Rainbow Dash tried to tell her that it was friendship, but later Trixie realized it was more than that when Big Mac and Applejack did not give her nearly the same feeling. Even though Trixie liked them, it was totally different from how she felt about you two.”

Every so quietly, Fluttershy whispered. “Oh, my.” Her face, illuminated by the growing fire, was red.

Trixie failed to notice the reaction as she carried on. “After the incident in the castle though, Trixie was so scared of coming near you, because Rainbow Dash was so angry. Trixie noticed that Rainbow Dash was really nice once Trixie paid more attention to her. Rainbow Dash let Trixie get closer over time, so, so Trixie thought she made progress, and she was over the moon.”

Fluttershy put down the poker, and made her way back to sit beside Trixie. “S-so you thought she, uhm, liked you too?”

Nodding, Trixie felt her chest ache. “Yes… Rainbow Dash told Trixie that nopony had ever tried to ask her out, because she was intimidating. Trixie figured she’d be happy to see Trixie didn’t back down, but she wasn’t, and Trixie can’t believe she didn’t see that. Trixie never should have pushed her on it.”

Breathing a soft sigh, Fluttershy shook her head. “It’s okay Trixie, Rainbow Dash can just be difficult to predict sometimes… I’m sure she does like you, just, uhm, maybe not in that way? I-I did try to tell you, sorry…”

Trixie nodded slowly. She really did feel a little better now that she’d finally been able to talk about it. Though she’d felt awkward in the beginning, once she’d gotten started it felt liberating to let it all out, and she didn’t even really think about what to say. “It was just so foolish of Trixie. Once Trixie can use magic, it is probably better if she leaves.”

The warmth of the growing fire behind Trixie felt soothing, light was returning to the room, pulling the various shapes out of the shadows. It took Trixie a moment to notice, but Fluttershy was staring at her with a deep blush, but didn’t say anything further. “Is it something Trixie said?”

Fluttershy shifted uncomfortably, as though she knew something she shouldn’t. “Oh, Uhm, I-I was just thinking… I don’t think you should leave just because of unrequited love. You said you really like to be around, uhm, us… so why throw that away? Even if the feeling isn’t mutual, I’m sure Rainbow Dash would be okay with knowing you like her, uhm, a little more… I know I am…”

Far too late, Trixie covered her mouth with her hooves, as if she expected to retroactively stop herself from speaking. That was absolutely not how she had wanted Fluttershy to find out, if ever at all. Trixie sat frozen while she stared at Fluttershy, silently cursing herself while she tried to go over what else she had said.

Seeing Trixie starting to panic, Fluttershy gave a reassuring smile, and reached one wing out to wrap around her. “Uhm, Trixie? It, it’s okay, okay? I’m not upset, honest. Nothing’s different, but… I don’t really understand how you feel that way about two ponies. Can you help me? If that’s alright with you?”

The incredibly soft feeling from Fluttershy’s wing around her soothed Trixie enough to pay attention to the words, she looked up at Fluttershy in brief confusion. “Help you understand? But Trixie doesn’t understand it so well herself… It’s just how she feels. Trixie needs Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash, like how Equestria needs the sun and moon… She knows how that sounds. T-Trixie’s selfish, and greedy, and irrational…” She trailed off and petered out, looking down at the blanket to avoid eye contact with Fluttershy.

Fluttershy stayed silent as she thought about it. She used her wing to stroke Trixie back, which ensured Trixie did not worry too much about how her slip up and explanation were received, since at least it wasn’t bad enough to make Fluttershy stop.

Finally, Fluttershy spoke up. “Well… you’re right, Trixie. It is really selfish, greedy and irrational…”

Trixie dropped her ears flat on her head and nodded slowly. Perhaps it would be for the best that she’d look for another place to stay, but she’d really hoped she could remain here with the two ponies that meant so much to her, even if it ached that she had no chance with them.

”…and you’re right, that’s what love is.” Fluttershy wrapped her forelegs around Trixie and hugged her tightly. “That’s nothing to be ashamed of, or worried about, even if it is a little unusual. I, I guess it hurts twice then? Is that why you wanted to leave?”

“No! Uhm, no.” Trixie returned the hug, enjoying every moment of it. “Trixie just thought you wouldn’t allow her to stay, if she was like that.”

Fluttershy raised a brow, and adopted a kindly reprimanding tone that only she could pull off. “Trixie, you didn’t really think I’d kick you out for that? You aren’t some weird stranger, you’re my friend, our friend.”

Hearing it actually said out loud, Trixie blushed embarrassed that she had ever considered it a possibility. "O-oh, no. Trixie didn't think Fluttershy would ever do that, of course not... but... wouldn't it be weird? To feel like Trixie is checking you out? N-not that she ever would! But, uhm, hypothetically."

Fluttershy stuttered with a heavy blush, and her tail swished over her flank. “I, uh, I didn’t say that, b-but—” The sound of the door upstairs made Fluttershy stop, seemingly grateful for the distraction.

“Gah, it’s bright in here!” Rainbow Dash shielded her eyes with one hoof, blinking against the light of the fireplace. It didn’t stop her for long though, as she landed in front of the pair and gave a quick squinted look from one to the other. Rainbow Dash let her eyes linger on Fluttershy’s blushing face for a moment. “Everything okay? I’m not interrupting any strategy meetings am I?” She gave a grin.

Fluttershy blinked in utter confusion. “Strategy? Uhm, no? I wasn't expecting you back so soon, oh! N-not that I think you're dumb, or anything, really! It's just that-um-y-you kind of take awhile to r-realize when you do something wrong, not that you do it that often at all! But—”

“Oh good, then you won’t mind if I borrow Trixie for a minute?” Rainbow Dash rubbed her eyes, ignoring Fluttershy's ramblings, finally managing to open them properly after getting used to the flames. “I should have realized it in the first place.”

Trixie nodded to Fluttershy to indicate she would be okay, and let go of her.

Getting up to her hooves, Fluttershy nodded. “Oh, sure. I, uhm, I’ll go make some tea. You girls take your time okay?” She gave a smile to Rainbow Dash as she passed her on her way to the kitchen. “I’m glad you understand, Rainbow Dash.”

Rainbow Dash gave a forced smile back. “Y-yeah. I got it.” Turning her head, she watched Fluttershy disappear into the kitchen before she turned her attention fully on Trixie, and took a deep breath. “Okay, Trixie, I was, uhm, thinking a lot, and I want, uh, I guess, ah.” She reached a hoof to scratch her side of her foreleg uncomfortably. “Oh! Hey, it’s my turn. Trixie, truth or dare?”

Blinking ,Trixie was too surprised to answer for a moment, the sudden shift in direction caught her completely off guard. “…What? Trixie doesn’t want to play anymore, Rainbow Dash… Oh, Trixie gets it, she did ruin the mood before with that. You don’t need to demonstrate, Trixie understands now. Sorry, Rainbow Dash.”

With an impatient huff, Rainbow Dash shook her head. “No, that’s not it, come on, Trixie.”

“Okay, truth?” Trixie was not sure what Rainbow Dash was trying to accomplish.

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes. “Pick again.” Her patience appeared to be running thin.

“Fine, Trixie picks dare. What is this about?”

“I dare you to close your eyes, and don’t argue with anything that comes next.”

Trixie tilted her head with the strange request, though she gave a nod and closed her eyes. Whatever Rainbow Dash had in mind couldn’t be that bad, though the idea that she was not allowed to say anything back was annoying. “Alright, so what did you want to say to Tri—mpf!”

Wrapping her forelegs around Trixie suddenly, Rainbow Dash cut Trixie off with a kiss, a deep kiss. Pressing her lips against Trixie’s, Rainbow Dash showed no hesitation, taking advantage of her gasp of surprise to aggressively slip her tongue inside, searching out Trixie’s own.

Trixie’s eyes opened wide in shock. She wasn’t sure if this was really happening, but right in front of her was Rainbow Dash, eyes closed as she kissed her while Trixie was completely stunned. After a few seconds, she saw Rainbow Dash peek at her, worry starting to show on her face.

Rainbow Dash paused, and it dawned on Trixie that she had been completely still the whole time, naturally Rainbow Dash would think she was making a huge mistake.

Before Rainbow Dash could pull away, Trixie quickly wrapped her hooves around her and pulled her back into the kiss, answering it with burning enthusiasm. Trixie was not sure how long Rainbow Dash was going to allow her to hold the kiss, so she savored every single moment of it, knowing it was probably the last kiss she would ever be allowed to share with her.

For her part, Rainbow Dash gave her all to the kiss, holding it for as long as Trixie could manage.

Finally, Trixie broke away for air with a gasp, her whole face was burning up, as was Rainbow Dash’s for that matter. Somehow, Rainbow Dash did not even look winded after that while Trixie had to struggle to catch her breath. “W-what, wha, was that?” She immediately regretted asking, but she had to know.

“That was a kiss.” Rainbow Dash stated matter-of-factly while she looked at Trixie, letting her tongue run along her own lips as though experimenting with the taste of it. “I guess I can see why you were trying to get one, it’s not bad. From now on I’m saving my next kiss for my marefriend though.”

Trixie felt her heart sink, but nodded slowly. “T-thank you… for letting Trixie h-have this. You’ll make somepony very happy someday.” Feeling tears starting to come up, Trixie let her gaze drop down while she held Rainbow Dash in her embrace for a little while longer, taking comfort in her warmth.

“Of course I will, I’m awesome.” Rainbow Dash smirked and used one hoof to lift Trixie’s chin up, looking into her teary eyes, then slowly pulled in for a second kiss this time she was much more gentle while she let their lips meet once again.

For the first second, Trixie was too overwhelmed with shock to even think, and once her brain caught up to the full implication, Trixie overloaded completely, and everything went black before her eyes and her head swam. Trixie recognized the feeling, she was going to faint, but for the first time ever, it was out of happiness.

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed.


It's been a while since Trixie passed out.
Isn't it amazing how once again, for the third time, it is because of Rainbow Dash?
Trixie probably won't mind so much this time though.
These chapters are tricky to write, but I'm so glad we've made it to this point.
The idea that Trixie doesn't understand you can breath while you kiss amuses me.

PreviousChapters Next