• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 7,835 Views, 2,739 Comments

Trixie's Forest Retreat - crowscrowcrow



Following the events of Boast Busters, Trixie decides to hide from the town (and Rainbow Dash in particular) by taking cover in the Everfree Forest. Not every problem can be outrun, and sometimes facing them can have unexpected consequences.

  • ...
31
 2,739
 7,835

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 92 - Recompense

The sun was already nearing the horizon, casting a warm hue over Equestria.

Soaring through the sky, Trixie glanced down at the tiny dot that was Ponyville. Flying with Rainbow Dash was soothing, as though it put everything into perfect perspective, the world was so tiny in comparison to Dash.

Nothing was quite as liberating as the feeling of being held tight by her beloved while the wind rushed through her mane. As far as Trixie was concerned it was the perfect way to end their date. There was only one tiny little problem: it really was the end of their date.

Originally, the plan had been to walk back home, but their date had run long, prompting Dash to suggest they could pick up the pace from romantic stroll to death defying sprint in order to get Trixie home before dark. Trixie wasn’t sure why they apparently had a curfew, but it seemed important to Dash. Thankfully, Trixie had a much better idea, and just enough magic to pull off floating their baggage behind them.

Giving Dash a midflight nuzzle, Trixie let her eyes wander toward the fiery evening sky. With a smile, she noted that some of the colors matched up to Dash’s mane. Unfortunately, she couldn’t enjoy the view for long, as something a lot less soothing caught her eye. Trixie bit her lip and hoped that the flickering in her aura was just some kind of optical illusion, they were far too high above ground to for the spell to fail them now. “Dashie, land!”

“We’re not at sea, Trixie, of course there’s land!”

Trixie would have clarified, if she couldn’t hear Dash sniggering to herself. Despite that, Dash did actually launch into a dive towards the ground at top speed. Dash ensured a quick landing for the both them, and Trixie managed a ‘controlled fall’ for the luggage.

Dash looked over her shoulder towards the crashing sounds. “Oh, so that’s why. I thought you said you were ‘Great and Powerful’ enough to hover them till we got back?” She grinned impishly while she let go of Trixie, dropping her on her back in the grass with a thump.

Glaring up at Dash from the ground, Trixie folded her hooves below her head, mimicking the careless pose Dash had held before. Trixie did a mock impression of Dash’s voice. “I’m the fastest pegasus ever, I’ll get us back in ten seconds flat!”

“Hey! I sound at least twenty percent cooler than that!” Dash yelled over her shoulder while she inspected the crash-landed basket. “Man, I’m definitely not getting my security deposit back.”

Up until now, Trixie had idly wondered why Dash even had a picnic basket, it didn’t seem like the kind of thing she’d own, apparently that was right. “O-oh…” Trixie mumbled, folding her ears back. “Sorry. ” One more thing to add to the list of reasons Trixie had at this point to find some kind of way to make an income. Perhaps she could check if there was a reward being offered for her apprehension yet.

Keeping her back turned to Trixie, Dash stayed oddly quiet for a moment while she stared at the basket. “Eh, it’s fine, I guess. I should’ve known...” She didn’t finish, but simply sighed.

Sitting up, Trixie couldn’t help but cringe at the words. “S-sorry…” She slumped over, looking down at her hooves, dejected. Just a little bit longer. If only she could have gone without screwing up five more minutes, the entire date would have been a grand success, but of course she just had to go and exhaust herself on levitating half the lake for no good reason. Dash hadn’t even looked impressed with her display of magic prowess at the time. Why would she? She had a friend that could have lifted the entire lake. Stupid Trixie.

Too busy berating herself, Trixie had not even noticed Dash’s approach until she sat down beside her, and wrapped a hoof around her shoulders. “Hey, you’re not falling asleep on me are you?” Dash chuckled, but froze in the middle of it, her voice taking on a more genuine tone of concern. “Trixie, you know you should tell me if you get tired, right? I guess it has been kind of a long day for you.”

Trixie blinked, Dash was smiling, a little too brightly even. Maybe she had not messed up too badly after all? Or perhaps this was Dash’s way of giving Trixie an excuse for her failure. “Wha? Uhm… Y-yes, Trixie is a bit sleepy…” Glancing towards the basket, Trixie shrunk a little as she posed her question, not entirely sure she wanted the answer. “Aren’t you mad Trixie broke it?”

Although Dash only paused for a second or two, Trixie felt as though the silence lasted forever. “…A little bit, yeah.” Dash sighed, shaking her head. “I’m trying, you know. Not to, I mean… It’s not your fault. I just…” She fumbled her words, instead deciding to pull Trixie against her.

That had been surprisingly honest, if a bit disjointed. Stunned, Trixie wasn’t quite sure how to react. Now that she thought about it, when was the last time Dash got truly mad at her? Sure, they’d had their little arguments, but Dash had been a lot less fierce with her the past week, ever since the hospital. Has she been taking classes or something? That didn’t seem likely to Trixie, but Dash was definitely trying. Unable to think of anything good to say, Trixie followed Dash’s example, and slid her hooves around her, resting her head on the mare’s shoulder.

Dash relaxed some when Trixie returned the embrace, giving a smaller, though actually genuine, smile. “Sooo, hey, I just remembered I forgot to give you the second surprise.” Nopony was ever going to accuse Dash of being subtle, that had to be the most forced topic change in recorded history.

Giggling lightly with the absurd change, Trixie shook her head, about as eager as Dash to get on with it. “It was the, uhm, Pony Tunes, wasn’t it?”

“Pony Tones, but nah, that wasn’t it,” Dash said as she got up and trotted to the basket, rummaging through it before she pulled out a small, colorful square paper. “Here, this is for you.”

Grasping it with her magic, Trixie floated the square towards her. Apparently it was a photograph of Dash, Fluttershy, and Trixie herself, all sitting together on the couch with a few bowls of snacks near them, laughing about something. Her lips curled into a smile while Trixie observed the image, it must have been taken during their sleepover party. “…Wait, how did you take this picture?”

Dash wore a steadily spreading grin as she watched Trixie figure out the problem. “Remember when you asked for proof that Pinkie Pie is not an old mares tale? You’re looking at it. She took it, and, erm, confronted me about not inviting her. Apparently Twilight had a sleepover at her place too, and they didn’t invite Pinkie either. She claims she had the ‘bestest ever sleepover’ with Gummy, Winona, and Opalescence, instead though.” Catching Trixie’s confused expression, Dash elaborated. “They are pets.”

Tilting her head, Trixie stared at Dash uncomprehendingly, then looked back at the picture. “That’s… really, really creepy.” Whatever this Pinkie Pie really was, it was now high on her list of successful ghost stories that Dash had told her. “You know, normal ponies would have just introduced her to Trixie. Not bring photographic evidence.” Trixie was not entirely sure if it could really be called that if the picture was not of the pony in question.

“Oh! You would’ve been okay with that?” Dash sounded genuinely surprised. “Why didn’t you say so? I thought you didn’t want anypony to know you were here.”

“Ah, that’s true. Though, from the looks of it she is already aware of Trixie. Besides, Trixie has been meeting a lot of ponies lately anyway, most of which without incident.” Cringing, she recalled her trouble with Derpy and Dinky, but also a much happier bit of news. “Oh, that reminds Trixie! Applejack invited us for dinner sometime this week, to meet her family.”

Dash perked up. “Sweet. I’ll get that worked out next time I see AJ then. But, uh, you aren’t going to show off any more lasso tricks right? If you are though, at least make sure I can watch.” She grinned widely.

“Hah, Trixie will remember that.” She floated the picture into her saddlebags, as eerie as its origin might have been, she did really like the idea of having a photo of her friends. Besides, this had to count as the first real gift she’d ever gotten from Dash, right? That made it extra special. In fact, it was special enough to be kept in her hat! The gleeful thought lingered a moment, before she got a reality check, she didn’t have her hat anymore.

Looking at the horizon, Rainbow Dash shifted in place anxiously. “I guess we should get going. I wanna be back before dark.”

Trixie raised a brow. “What, you’re afraid of the dark now?” Still, she obliged and got ready to take off again, levitating her saddlebags onto her back with a grumble. Better not risk it for now.

“Don’t be ridiculous.” Despite the protest, Dash set out on the dirt road as soon as Trixie was ready. Looking left and right along the edge of the forest. “I just don’t want to get caught out here by the headless horse. It dwells in the woods, but sometimes strays outside when it is attracted to the light of the setting sun. Ju—”

“—‘Just like this one.’ Yes, yes, Trixie gets it. Very nice.” She picked up her pace to keep up with Dash. It was blindingly obvious Dash didn’t believe the story, all the more because she did not show the signs of someone scared of getting jumped, like her eyes were not darting around at every minor noise. “Why don’t you just tell Trixie what is really going on. Isn’t that what you’re trying to teach Trixie?”

Dash held a steady trot once Trixie had caught up to her, and glanced towards her uncertainly. “I guess I had that coming. Fine. I’m supposed to bring the basket back before dark. If I don’t, something terrible is going to happen.”

Trixie rolled her eyes. “Yes, of course it will. Fine don’t tell Trixie.”

“It’s true! If I bring it back late, damaged, and wet, that’s three strikes!” Dash had a surprising amount of actual panic in her voice, almost as if she actually believed what she was saying.

Up ahead at the end of the path, Trixie could see the warm glow of the hearth shine through the windows. Fluttershy was probably cooking something up for dinner. Since they were almost there anyway, she stopped. “Alright, this will do. Trixie can make it home from here.” She let her horn glow, catching Dash by the tail to stop her from running off.

“What? But, we’re not there yet, come on hurry.” Dash tried to pull her tail free.

Relinquishing her magic, Trixie shook her head. “Absolutely not. Trixie sees where this is going, if you are in such a hurry you’ll leave the second we get to the door. So… Trixie would, uhm, rather spend that time more wisely.” Her cheeks burned as she looked towards the horizon, those familiar colors were still there.

“What do you mean?” Dash came up beside Trixie, looking puzzled as she stared at the setting sun with dread.

“You know… Trixie wants to say good night, and then you can leave to return the basket, so you save time.” Obviously she wasn’t getting through to Dash very well, so she rephrased. “Properly say good night.” Just to make sure there couldn’t be a misunderstanding, she swished her tail affectionately against Dash’s own.

“Oh. I see. That’s a good idea.” Dash smiled as she turned to Trixie. “Have a good night, Trixie.” Immediately after, she turned away. Spreading out her wings, Dash got ready to take flight back the way they came.

Trixie just wanted to turn the accursed mare’s hair pink and blue right there. “Oh, for Luna’s sake! Get back here, and kiss Trixie, right now! You insufferable cre—umpf!” Before Trixie could finish her rant, she was interrupted by a wish granting Rainbow Dash, who looked incredibly pleased with herself.

S-she tricked Trixie! Stupid, silly… sexy… Trixie lost her train of thought somewhere in the process as they held the kiss, embracing one another for a final time that evening.

As far as Trixie was concerned, she could have stayed like this for hours, and it took every bit of her willpower to force herself to break away early. The surprised, craving look on Dash’s face was well worth the trouble. “Good night, Dashie.”

“But, already? I mean, uh, yeah. G-good night, Trixie. I better get going quick.” She blushed heavily while she bolted straight up into the sky, leaving only a rainbow streak behind.

Trixie grinned while she watched Dash fly off. “Second rule of showmareship, always leave them wanting more.”


Rainbow Dash soared over Ponyville, picnic basket in hoof. A glance at the last rays of sunlight told her that she only had a little bit of time left, or else she was going to face the worst punishment imaginable.

Finally, her destination came into view, and she swooped down as fast as she could. Skidding to a halt before a far too ornate door, she quickly tapped her hoof against it. “I’m here! Totally on time and everything!”

On the other side of the door Dash could hear machinery at work, no doubt in the process of constructing the instrument of her demise. She knocked again, harder. “Open up!” The noise stopped, replaced by rapid hoofsteps that quickly became louder, followed by a smooth metallic scrape of a latch.

A light chime of a bell rung through the air as the door opened. “So good to see you made it, Darling. Come in, come in. You simply must tell me everything.” Rarity beamed, far too giddy for Rainbow Dash’s liking.

Following Rarity inside, Dash looked around, spotting the infernal sewing machine. It made Rainbow Dash nervous just being here, but she supposed she might as well get the worst out of the way quick. “Uhm, Rarity, I kinda, maybe, through no fault of my own, broke the picnic basket you lent me.” She knew exactly where she was being led, an admittedly ‘cozy’ corner of the room that held a small round table flanked by two couches along the walls.

Rarity, for her part, was far too busy with removing what she called ‘inspiration’ from her tea corner, though to Dash it looked more like whatever random fabric she’d thrown in that general direction at the time. “What was that, Rainbow Dash? Just one moment, please. Oh, and do sit down.” A blue glow surrounded her tea set, setting everything up in rather impressive time.

“I said, the basket broke.” Dash repeated while she sat down on the couch furthest away from the sewing machine. It also meant she could keep an eye on the thing, though really, it was probably the least of her worries given where she was. Even though she was technically very comfortable on the couch, Dash had a hard time relaxing.

“What? Oh, that old thing? Please, Rainbow, you know I wouldn’t blame you for that.” Rarity smiled while she got herself comfortable on the opposite couch, pouring them both a cup of tea in the meantime.

Detecting a glimmer of hope, Dash sat up straight, maybe she could get out of this yet. “You don’t? So, does that mean I don’t have to, uhm, you know?”

“Be my manikin for the creation of a new line of ball wear for aristocrats?” Rarity finished for her, levitating a cup and saucer to her lap. “Is that what you were curious about?”

“Y-yeah, I don’t have to do that then, right? Rarity?” Dash tried to keep the cup and saucer steady, which hadn’t gotten any easier since the last time she was here.

“Well, I’m sorry, Darling, but I don’t recall quite saying that. Why, I would be absolutely lost if it wasn’t for your wonderful offer to assist me.” She smiled pleasantly, and looked over at the broken basket for a moment. “It’s just such a shame you made it back on time, I would have loved to see you model some new designs in public to get an accurate assessment.” She brought her own cup to her lips, peering over it at Dash like a cat to a mouse. “Oh, well. Now… why don’t you tell me all about how your date went?”

Dash had never made any such offer, it had been part of the deal for getting to borrow the picnic basket that she brought it back whole, or she’d be a live model. From the way Rarity spoke it was almost as if she anticipated the basket would inevitably be broken at some point. “I dunno what you are talking about. I’ve not been on any date.”

Rarity gave an exasperated sigh. “Yes, of course, Darling. I meant to say… How did your friend’s date go? You know, the one who asked you to ask for courting advice? I am just positively dying to know how it turned out for this love-struck pony.” She never looked away as she spoke, making it painfully clear she was not, and never was, in the least bit buying this ‘I have a friend’ business.

“S-she’s not love-struck!” Trying to stall for time, Dash sipped her tea. Cinnamon flavored, one of her favorites, surprisingly sweet at that. She’s definitely pulling out all the stops, huh? She knew just what to lead with that would give Rarity what she was looking for, though Dash kept her eyes on her tea as she spoke. “Well… You were right, okay? She uhm, told me, that the pony she went to meet had put a lot of effort into making herself pretty. She really felt like a mule for refusing your offer…”

A horrified gasp from across the table drew Dash’s attention back to Rarity, who looked taken aback. “Oh, Rainbow, I am so sorry. That must have been just awful. But perhaps she will consider a makeover, just a small one, the next time?”

Dash gave Rarity a wary look. She still vividly remembered haunting images of all kinds of utterly ridiculous manestyles that would have doubled her wind resistance. Though what surprised her most were the final few words. “The next time?”

With an all too pleased, knowing look, Rarity reclined in her seat. “Of course, Darling, nopony who’s friend came to me has ever not gotten a second date.” She let her eyes roam over Dash, then to the empty basket. “With your figure, I doubt you are a comfort eater. Besides, ponies whose dates go bad don’t hop in on the deadline.”

It was a scary yet at the same time comforting thing to have Rarity on her side. “You mean friends of ponies, right?”

Rarity’s smile grew. “Of course, Darling.”

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed.

PreviousChapters Next