• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 7,835 Views, 2,739 Comments

Trixie's Forest Retreat - crowscrowcrow



Following the events of Boast Busters, Trixie decides to hide from the town (and Rainbow Dash in particular) by taking cover in the Everfree Forest. Not every problem can be outrun, and sometimes facing them can have unexpected consequences.

  • ...
31
 2,739
 7,835

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 67- Reenact


Trixie could feel her hooves shake while she held up the toast. She contemplated briefly if she should just put it back down and avoid any risk of humiliating herself. After all, she could always try again in a few minutes. It was difficult to resist the glossy, tasty-looking strawberry jam now that it was so close that she could smell it though.

Before deciding, Trixie took a quick glance around. Rainbow Dash was apparently deep in thought, so deep that she had not even reacted to any of Trixie’s taunts. Honestly, that annoyed her a bit. She missed the jousting already. Fluttershy was lost in staring at Rainbow Dash, presumably dreading her upcoming dare.

They wouldn’t notice if Trixie put the toast back down, but she’d know.

Come on, Trixie! You cooked pancakes! This will be easy!

As ridiculous of an encouragement as that was. It actually did make her feel a bit better about it, though for convenience she left out how much of a mess she’d made doing so.

Leaning in, Trixie took a bite of the toast, then pulled back, munching on her reward in sweet satisfaction. Any victory was one to be savored as far as she was concerned, even if it was a small one.

Thinking about it, now Trixie felt a little disappointed Fluttershy had not seen her do it. She looked over to the cute pegasus, trying to think of some way to casually draw her attention. If she faked a cough it probably would get her to look over, but she wanted her attention on the toast, not her throat. …Okay maybe that wouldn’t be bad either. Trixie blushed.

“Say, Fluttershy, where did you get this jam?” She tried to use as casual a tone as she could. Smiling, she saw Fluttershy turn around, and brought up the toast to her muzzle to take another bite as nonchalantly as possible, even only using one hoof this time while she used the other to indicate the toast. “Trixie approv—Gah!”

In her hubris, she’d been paying far too much attention to Fluttershy, and had been talking while she moved the toast closer, knocking it right off her hoof with her own lips. As though in slow-motion, Trixie could see the toast spin in the air in front of her as it fell down towards the blanket they were sitting on.

No! Catch it! Catch it!

Reaching out both forelegs, she made a lunge for it and grabbed it right out of midair. Yes! Hah! Crisis averted! She boasted inwardly and looked down at the blanket, not a single speck of strawberry to be found on it, much to her delight. She puffed up her chest with pride for her feat, looking at Fluttershy.

“S-so, yeah, uh, what store?” Trixie did her best to appear calm, but she did not get a reply.

Trixie noticed that Fluttershy was looking at her, but not into her eyes. Her eyes were lower, and Trixie followed them. As she did, she became aware that something felt wrong, and sticky. There were her hooves, clutching the toast… against her chest. “Oh, great.”

Fluttershy raised her gaze up to meet Trixie’s eyes. “Uh, I think we have a little time before Rainbow Dash is done, come on.” She gave a kind smile while she stood up, then took a few steps in the direction of the bathroom.

Blushing embarrassed, Trixie nodded at the proposal. “Yes, Trixie thinks you’re right.” She glanced over at Rainbow Dash. She was fairly sure Rainbow Dash was going to take her sweet time, so they could afford a quick break. However, she found Rainbow Dash was no longer ignoring her, in fact she was looking right at her, with a wide grin on her face. Trixie felt chills while she locked her gaze with those mischievous eyes.

“Perfect,” Rainbow Dash said, more to herself than anypony else.

Trixie blinked, puzzled by Rainbow Dash's words, then, she braced, expecting to be ridiculed. “What?”

Rainbow Dash looked away from Trixie and settled on Fluttershy. “Wait up, Fluttershy, I have a better idea. I dare you to clean Trixie.”

“Uhm, Rainbow Dash, I’m sorry, but uh, we were going to do that anyway. Are you okay?” With great concern in her face, Fluttershy looked at Rainbow Dash. After a moment of confusion, she flashed an understanding smile. “You don’t have to feel pressured, you’ll have some extra time to think of a better dare while we’re gone.”

Smirking, Rainbow Dash added, “with your tongue.”

Both Trixie and Fluttershy colored scarlet, and looked shocked at Rainbow Dash, then at one another. Trixie still clutched her toast, though it was quickly turning into crumbs as she tensed up hard after the clarification.

“Would you like to give up?” Rainbow Dash asked, in a tone that said she was just going to make her do it anyway, since giving up meant she’d have to obey Dash for the day.

“But, that, that’s not fair. Y-you can’t uh…” Fluttershy protested, but she trailed off as her defense was definitely not working. If anything, it was just causing Rainbow Dash more amusement. “H-how about something else? Like, uhm, uhhh.”

Trixie observed awhile in stunned silence. She could not fathom what Rainbow Dash must be thinking. It was absolutely a terrible, horrible idea to get that close to Fluttershy. Trixie was completely sure she was not supposed to do that. She felt her chest tighten, feeling that sense of fear rear up again and cluttering her thoughts, coloring her memory. I-is she testing Trixie? Rainbow Dash w-will get mad if Trixie allows it? She said before to talk to Fluttershy, but then got mad when Trixie did.

Fluttershy was still trying to convince Rainbow Dash to try something else, but every attempt so far was brushed aside. Though if Trixie had to be fair, Fluttershy’s suggestions were terrible, such as a dare to have her fly a circle through the room.

“Uh, h-how about, a dare to juggle apples?” Fluttershy offered.

Trixie has to say something, yes, but what? I-it’s hard to think of something. I-it has to be part of the test? Oh! Trixie swallowed and quickly made her own suggestion, pointing a hoof at Rainbow Dash. “Trixie has a better idea. Why not dare Trixie to let you clean her? Wouldn’t that be better?” Smiling, Trixie pulled her hooves away from her chest, letting remains of the actual toast drop in the bowl. She motioned at the red jam covering her fur, standing out brightly in contrast against the light blue. N-now that Trixie thinks about it, this doesn’t sound half bad. She blushed at the idea.

Rainbow Dash perked up her ears. Trixie’s suggestion visibly caught her interest as she stroked her chin and looked thoughtful.

Trixie stared at Rainbow Dash closely, trying to work out if she had done good by the mares reactions.

However, before Rainbow Dash could reply, Fluttershy interrupted. “I-I accept.” She spoke a little bit louder than usual, calling the attention of both mares to her. Meeping quietly with the sudden attention, she hid behind her mane. Still, she had most definitely said she would do the dare.

“That’s the spirit, Fluttershy.” Rainbow Dash grinned widely and settled in comfortably.

Wait, what? Trixie blinked, unsure if she had missed something. We’re going through with this? But, uh, okay okay. Relax, Trixie. She took a few deep breaths to stay as calm as she could manage. She noticed Fluttershy doing the same, who then closed the distance and sat down in front of Trixie.

Trixie shoot another look to Rainbow Dash, but she looked completely relaxed by this point. She, she is really okay with this? Is she telling Trixie something? Swallowing a lump in her throat, Trixie turned her gaze to meet up with Fluttershy’s. “S-so, a dare is a dare right, Fluttershy?” She shot a sideways glance at Rainbow Dash as she spoke, more intending to remind her than Fluttershy.

“R-right,” Fluttershy squeaked.

Doing her utmost best to sit still as a statue, Trixie watched Fluttershy lean in closer. She could feel her heart beating rapidly in her chest, both fear and anticipation rushed through her system. There was nothing she could do about it now, but hope that it was not a trick.

Fluttershy lingered with her nose just a few centimeters away from Trixie’s chest, and Trixie could hear her breathing in a long, slow manner. The pause while Fluttershy was so close just made Trixie’s nerves act up even more. She lifted her gaze away from Fluttershy, and settled on Rainbow Dash, who made no efforts whatsoever to stop them. It’s a dare, this is not on Trixie, right? She closed her eyes tightly.

After a few moments, Trixie opened her eyes again. Fluttershy had not moved a bit. It puzzled Trixie, but only for about as long as it took her to remember who she had before her. Oh, if Trixie is nervous, it must be even worse for Fluttershy? Trixie should say something, This is really awkward.

Trixie cleared her throat, drawing Fluttershy’s attention. “If we don’t hurry, The Great and Tasty Trixie is sure to never get the stains out of her fur. It is just a little cleaning, and nothing more than that. Animals do it all the time, right Fluttershy? Maybe you could demonstrate how they do it?”

“A-animals?” Fluttershy sounded puzzled, but definitely looked grateful for Trixie’s attempts.

“Yes, all week you’ve shown us how animals take care of their young, and Trixie knows she saw the little ones were cleaned by their parent’s tongue. Trixie was pretty far away at the time though, so could you show Trixie?” She gave a confident smile at Fluttershy, which was quite a feat considering she felt anything but.

“O-oh! Yes, of course. Uhm, well… t-that is called grooming. Typically it helps in hygiene, but it is also used to strengthen bonds between animals. There are different ways of doing it, some animals do so nearly in passing, some take up predetermined positions, others like to make it a mutual exchange.” Her hesitation slowly melted the longer she talked.

Trixie smiled and gave a few nods while she listened. “How would they go about it?”

“Well, it differs a bit, but for example they can initiate by pushing a cub to the floor, like so.” Fluttershy reenacted the behavior of the mother badger Trixie had seen, pressing her head against Trixie to nudge her over. It was nowhere near hard enough to actually knock Trixie over, but she obliged and ‘fell’ onto the blanket, looking up at Fluttershy.

Trixie chuckled. “So, cubs hate baths as much as foals then, if they have to be held down.”

Giggling softly, Fluttershy nodded. “They are pretty similar, getting started is the hard part, because they are so playful. After that they usually get into it, so they don’t need to be restrained anymore. Once the cub is captured, the grooming begins. For other adults it is usually limited to places they have a hard time reaching, but cubs don’t clean themselves yet. So the mother does most of it, she’ll trap the cub, then lick against the grain of the fur.”

Even though Trixie’d started the talk to get Fluttershy comfortable, she had gotten carried away and forgotten why she was doing it. Caught off-guard, she suddenly felt Fluttershy’s tongue drag along her fur. She inhaled sharply with surprise. “T-Trixie see’s, A-and is it just one lic—ah!” Her question was interrupted by the answer, as Fluttershy gave her another lick.

Trixie closed her eyes tightly, the spoken lecture had stopped entirely and they’d clearly moved on to the demonstration part. It was the strangest feeling, something damp and warm dragged along the fur of her chest, making her skin tingle and coat stand on end. Each lick left a warm trail in its wake that quickly cooled as the air passed over. The small chills made Trixie shiver, and hope for another lick to warm her up again.

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading, I hope you enjoyed.

Two chapters today, that's right. Just keep right on reading.
Heck I'll even make it easy for you: Next chapter!
No cliffhanger pains today.

...What are you still here for? Go! Unless you want to comment on this chapter in particular. Which is always appreciated. :raritywink:

PreviousChapters Next